Official God of War: Ascension Bitching thread

kfree7

No need to keep bitching on multiple threads. Put your gripes and complants here. No need for people to bash each other about whining. All of us have been frustrated with a game at some point. Keep it to bitching about the game and be kind to other members. If you have completed the game and want to encourge others fine, but no need to post here if you are going to call the bitchers whiners. Thank you.

I'll start. Yes, Chapter 28 is pissing me off. It seems cheap but I have made it to the second phase a couple of time just not enough health to finish it off. Would like a damn checkpoint between phases.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started the Trial of Archimedes this afternoon. Feeling my through, working out a strategy. Got to level two with more health and magic than I'd managed before, swiftly dispatched the first wave of enemies, getting a good feeling about this attempt. Then the goddamn game glitched. Just stopped spawning more enemies. So now I have to restart and fight my way through the godawful medusas and sirens again through no fault of my own. :mad:

Feels better to get that off my chest...

worst GoW ever.

Nope. Worst one was Chains of Olympus. At least I think it was CoO? The one had the dumb ass element blades like only fire would kill fire enemies etc? Now that game was terrible. Ascension was the 4th best game or 3 worst game depending on how you look at it.

Nope. Worst one was Chains of Olympus. At least I think it was CoO? The one had the dumb ass element blades like only fire would kill fire enemies etc? Now that game was terrible. Ascension was the 4th best game or 3 worst game depending on how you look at it.

All a matter of opinion. Personally, I agree with Kakyochan. This game just feels off to me, not like a God of War title

Eh, I like the multiplayer. At least it feels like they put some effort into it at some point during development. :D

What annoys me is the story. God of War isn't going to be winning any awards for storytelling, but the story here feels half-assed. The furies aren't that impressive as enemies, and the disjointed flashback style is irritating.

Oh, and Chains of Olympus was definitely the weakest. This game is just a little above it on the list.

I'd like to bitch about people bitching about the MP.

Multiplayer is awesome.

Chapter 28. yeah, took a few turns, but it's the Trial of Archimedes and it was mentioned to be a deathtrap, so I knew it'd be tough. Magic, magic and more magic. And Persistence.

What I could bitch about would be the weird chapter select system. So it's there, nice. But what use is it, if I when I start a game on a different difficulty, it just stops working?

What I could bitch about would be the weird chapter select system. So it's there, nice. But what use is it, if I when I start a game on a different difficulty, it just stops working?

You notice you can make quite a few profiles? If you finish the game on easy mode (profile 1) and start a normal mode playthrough (profile 2) you can go through all 30 chapters on the easy mode profile.

The only way chapter select stops working (you can't go through all 30 chapters) is if instead of creating a NEW profile, you start one profile on top of the other.

Edited by JHChiBulls

Chapter 28 Finally got to the 3rd phase with low health and almost had the horseman but ran into a wall and died. :p Will keep trying. This is my 4 night after work to give it a go.

Edit: Got to the 3rd phase 3x now. Just need a little more health. This is cheap and it sucks, but I will get it done.

Edited by kfree7

I thoroughly enjoyed it as a rental. Felt epic at times and had a lot of fun but the game felt dumbed down in a way. I mean it may sound stupid the sex mini game has NOTHING to do with overall fun in the game but it has been in every other GoW game right? I know they said he is supposed to be sensitive but he seemed to really enjoy those other topless girls lol. I read that from someone else here too but can't remember their name to credit them.

Also the saying "Sacrifice Accepted" is missing when you upgrade health or magic, was that in all other games too or was it missing already for a while? The games violence and gore didn't seem like a big deal like GoW 3 did, even Adam Sessler said the last boss ending was the most violent thing hes seen or whatever but ripping that head off in GoW 3 or bashing Zeus' face in was far more violent IMO.

The puzzles were very easy compared to the other GoW games. I would get stuck and have to really think to get past some of the puzzles but in this one it took maybe two attempts at some of them and I am just an average GoW player that can beat it on Hard like almost everyone else here.

I dunno just small things to nitpick at ...

There seems to be so much negatively in gaming these days, and people jumping on the band wagon over silly things.

Examples: The Bros before Hoes trophy thing, the new Bioshock cover art (people cancelling pre orders), Tomb Raider having multi player, and the Mass Effect 3 ending (not mentioned in any review, yet people complaining it sucks the first day (30 hour game) and finally most comments on the PlayStation Blog are really negative and unreal.

At least we still have triple A games to complain about, for now. More and more game devs going out of business.

Having said that, yes I'm stuck on level 28 too, but besides that I love the game. Something about those Chain Blades is so satisfying.

My bitch would have to be the poor spawn rates on the treasure of the gods chests in MP. After opening like 170 of them I'm still missing weapon parts and an armor peice. If I'm opening the chests give me something for it like extra exp or somethng I can see in the end of the match. Instead I get to hope there is something past the exp screen telling my I found something. I've opened 5 treasure of the gods chests in some matches only to get a big fat nothing for my work.

Personally I loved the game start to finish. GoW is by far my favourite gaming series and this game did not disappoint. I was however sad not to see any challenge of the gods/Olympus etc. Along with the lack of a sex mini game which are two things I associate with the series. Also it is the 'glitchiest' of the GoW games. Though none of these things hampered by overall enjoyment and it is still a superbly polished and stunning looking game which is also alot of fun to play.

Good idea to have one thread where we can all vent. :p :D I have, sadly, quite a bit of venting to do. I love the God of War games, so to see the latest installation in the series be as comparatively poor as Ascension is was quite sad. In no particular order, here are the things that just didn't sit right with me.

1 - The large number of bugs/glitches. Always fearful that the next area of the game will glitch on me and I'll randomly fall through the floor, have the camera get stuck, or have the game freeze up.

2 - The change to the save system. ALL other GoW games saved in the same manner. A manner where you, the user, could decide to save the game and create multiple save files. For some unknown reason, they removed that from Ascension. Only thing I can think of is something to do with multi-player that required they create profiles and hence the current, sometimes bug-ridden, save system. A sad casualty of the multi-player inclusion.

3 - Short game length. The game is just too short. Feels more like a PS Vita/PSP type game rather than a PS3 game. I kind of expected this, however, when they announced that they were putting MP into the game and all of their pre-release hype was about the MP. So it wasn't all that shocking when the developers' claims of it being a lengthy game were false.

4 - Sub-par musical score. Another thing about the GoW games is the fantastic musical score that plays throughout the story and emotionally gets you pumped up for the next part of the game. That seemed to be missing from this one. There were many, many, MANY quiet periods where you were just walking around with little to no music being played.

5 - Missing Battle Arena / Challenge of the... This is something that is a part of every GoW game ever made, yet is completely missing from this one. I see that they have included some type of challenge thing in the multi-player part of the game, but it's absent in the single player. My guess is they'll add this as DLC later on and charge for it? (Thankfully I have the Collector's Edition so it will be free for me). But having a staple of the GoW series not exist in the game is saddening. It's like having the SMB theme missing from a Mario Brothers game.

6 - No "Mini-Game". Again, another staple of the series that is completely missing. Now I can understand based on the timeframe of the story why it isn't in there, but in the same regard it seems as if SSM gave into the pressures of the vocal minority who said the mini-games were in poor taste and didn't include one. The changing of the "Bros before hos" trophy title kind of alludes to their "let's cave in" philosophy as well.

7 - Absence of combat. So much of the game was spent just walking around without any real combat sections in it. In the other GoW games, you would seemingly have combat in each room you went to. There was very little free roaming. The balance was quite good. In Ascension, there seems to be very little combat with maybe one or two areas where enemies are just plopped in with no rhyme or reason to it.

8 - Reliance on QTE jumping sequences to extend gameplay. This one really bothered me. There are a MASSIVE number of QTE jumping/sliding sequences put into the game whose only real purpose is to cause you to die and replay the same part multiple times to memorize the patterns. Throw in some funky camera angles, and it does nothing to add to the enjoyment of a game. You will be going about doing what you need to do, then suddenly a part of the world around you collapses and you have to jump and grapple and press the button at the right time, otherwise you die and have to start over. If I die, I want it to be because I used the wrong strategy in a fight or because I didn't do something properly. Not because the developers wanted to extend the already short gameplay by throwing in rote memorization style sections.

9 - Disjointed story. The story was comprised of too many random jumpbacks in time without any real explanation of what was going on. Previous GoW games had plenty of narration in order to flesh out the story more and give you background on what was going on, why you were where you were, and where you will be going. In this game, the cut-scenes seemed like they were just thrown in there for the sake of being in there. In addition, so many of the story background elements were presented in the "yellow and orange/red with fuzzy shadowy figure" art-style that just seemed like they didn't want to spend the time to flesh them out. The background cut-scene presentations in the other games were fully fleshed out and beautiful. In this game, they seemed like an art-student's "Look at me, I'm different!" type of work.

10 - Nerfed Weapon/Item upgrades. This is another change that makes me think the devs just didn't feel like taking the time to develop the enemy AI, or game itself. The fact that when you upgrade your element powers or your blades of chaos, many of the maneuvers you unlock are unable to be used unless your rage meter is filled up. The rage meter also drains away if you are touched even once, or if you are no longer in combat. With the combat areas so small, or few and far between, it's pretty rare that you'll have your rage meter fully charged so you can use these maneuvers. In addition, it makes it difficult for you to try these out and get used to using them. The absence of the battle arena that other games have had, where you can set things up to try out your moves, further hurts this.

Those are ten of the things that bugged me about this game. I was fearful when they stated that they were going to add MP to the series, and became more and more worried when the pre-release reveals were all focused on the MP while the SP seemed to be ignored. I guess that just correlated with their philosophy on the development of the game itself. All throughout the development of the game, Todd Papy and the rest of the devs kept stating that they weren't ignoring the SP portion. The end result says otherwise.

Now if I was new to the GoW franchise and played Ascension, I may indeed have enjoyed it more and it could have led me to try out the other games in the series. However, I do not agree in making these decisions at the cost of the existing fan base and followers of the franchise. To me, it seemed as if this game was an afterthought and the devs didn't have as much devotion or dedication to the ultimate end goal. Changes were made for no other reason than the sake of change, and existing, well working functions of the series were changed.

There seems to be so much negatively in gaming these days, and people jumping on the band wagon over silly things.

This is true, and I blame it on the extended console era. We are currently being fed countless franchise sequels on tech that has long since reached it's progress limit, simply to pay the bills. It leaves consumers with nothing to do but complain that the newest sequel is not as good as the previous games (which in most cases is true, because of the above reasons).

My main bitch is that the controls feel clunky. GoW3 was smooth as hell. This feels like a jump back to GoW1, before everything was refined.

Like i said before for moi this game feels more like Uncharted with all the jumping and swinging , and yea the game was wayy to short and downgraded from the others gow i bet it because bunch of mothers complained that the game is to violent and their 12yr old cant play.. i dont wanna bash the game but i feel let down

1 - The large number of bugs/glitches..

4 - Sub-par musical score.

5 - Missing Battle Arena / Challenge of the...

6 - No sex "Mini-Game".

9 - Disjointed story.

10 - Nerfed Weapon/Item upgrades.

Agree. It froze a couple of times for me.

And the weapon elements are pretty much useless. I never used poseidon or hades, not even once.

2 - The change to the save system.

I prefer automatically saving, and almost all games use that function now. In the past I lost hundred of hours of gameplay in games that required manual saving when the ps2 froze, or energy down, etc etc.

3 - Short game length.

8 - Reliance on QTE jumping sequences to extend gameplay. There are a MASSIVE number of QTE jumping/sliding sequences put into the game whose only real purpose is to cause you to die and replay the same part multiple times to memorize the patterns.

3. My first walkthrough in GoW3: 8 hours, in Ascencion: 12 hours, like 50% longer.

8. I only died a couple of times in those QTE sequences that are incredible easy if you put attention and are not really long (just a couple of minutes).

7 - Absence of combat. So much of the game was spent just walking around without any real combat sections in it. In the other GoW games, you would seemingly have combat in each room you went to.

I think this is GoW3 effect. That game was practically just combat and combat, but that wasn't the original GoW. I remember in the first one the scene in the begginning where you have to balance through tables and trunks for example. That was the reason i loved GoW, for the combination of combat, puzzles and platforming.

I was fearful when they stated that they were going to add MP to the series, Todd Papy and the rest of the devs kept stating that they weren't ignoring the SP portion. The end result says otherwise.

I don't think it was MP fault. Without multiplayer the SP would have been the same but maybe they would have released the game earlier.

The main problem with Ascencion is GoW3. Fans must understand that the vertiginous pace of that game can not be repeated.

2 - The change to the save system. ALL other GoW games saved in the same manner. A manner where you, the user, could decide to save the game and create multiple save files. For some unknown reason, they removed that from Ascension. Only thing I can think of is something to do with multi-player that required they create profiles and hence the current, sometimes bug-ridden, save system. A sad casualty of the multi-player inclusion.

I prefer the new save system, & you can do chapter select. I don't recall being able to chapter select in previous games

3 - Short game length. The game is just too short. Feels more like a PS Vita/PSP type game rather than a PS3 game. I kind of expected this, however, when they announced that they were putting MP into the game and all of their pre-release hype was about the MP. So it wasn't all that shocking when the developers' claims of it being a lengthy game were false.

The game is around the same length as GOW3, it's feels a tiny bit longer.

6 - No "Mini-Game". Again, another staple of the series that is completely missing. Now I can understand based on the timeframe of the story why it isn't in there, but in the same regard it seems as if SSM gave into the pressures of the vocal minority who said the mini-games were in poor taste and didn't include one. The changing of the "Bros before hos" trophy title kind of alludes to their "let's cave in" philosophy as well.

I was thinking, maybe the reason why there is no sex mini game is because it's 6 months after the death of his wife & kid. Maybe he doesn't want to cheat on his dead wife.

9 - Disjointed story. The story was comprised of too many random jumpbacks in time without any real explanation of what was going on. Previous GoW games had plenty of narration in order to flesh out the story more and give you background on what was going on, why you were where you were, and where you will be going. In this game, the cut-scenes seemed like they were just thrown in there for the sake of being in there. In addition, so many of the story background elements were presented in the "yellow and orange/red with fuzzy shadowy figure" art-style that just seemed like they didn't want to spend the time to flesh them out. The background cut-scene presentations in the other games were fully fleshed out and beautiful. In this game, they seemed like an art-student's "Look at me, I'm different!" type of work.

I'm stuck on chapter 28, but so far I do find the story a bit confusing. I thought they were going to show stuff before he killed his family & before he got his chain blades etc. Maybe it will in the last few chapters (no spoilers please)