Trial of Archimedes - Complete Walkthrough

F8L Fool

This walkthrough is a supplement guide for my God of War: Ascension Trophy Guide and Road Map, that will assist any and everyone that is struggling with the Trial of Archimedes. The strategies were devised for the sole purpose of clearing it on Hard and Titan difficulties, so take that in mind if you are playing it on Normal or Easy. While the methods will work regardless of what difficulty you are playing on, such caution can be overkill on the easier difficulty settings.

Below you will find a video that shows the full strategy recreated by myself. There are a few minor nuances as should be expected, but it is by and large the method described in this guide. I have had better clears, my best of which being a ~95% clear, but it took longer and wasn't enjoyable to watch. Furthermore, I find that complex gauntlet/challenge/arena fights are often best described in text, since video doesn't easily convey ones strategy, attack patterns, or true goals. Because of this I suggest you read the guide before watching the video, so you will understand what is going on.

Lastly be sure to check out my trophy guide for help with anything trophy related, boss tips, or other information.

Now, on to the guide!

General Tips To Know Before You Start

1.) Abuse your :l2: Items: Good use of the Amulet (:l2:+:square:) and the Orkos Stone :l2:+:triangle:) is what makes the gauntlet 10x easier than it should be. In order to really take advantage of them you should have them both upgraded by now. If you don’t have them upgraded and also don’t have the orbs to do so by this point, I’m sorry to be the one inform you that won’t be unlocking the Fully Loaded trophy by the end of the game. But that’s a different story altogether.

Both of the items can be activated as soon as you come out of a QTE/Minigame. Hold down :l2: while mashing :square: or :triangle: depending on which one is up. It is best to always use the Amulet first if enemies are near you, because it has an instant cast time while the Orkos has a delay and can get you hit.

Lastly, in order to truly dominate the gauntlet and lower your risk to the bare minimum, you should let the timers reset themselves during the Gorgon minigame. You do this by grappling a red halo’d Gorgon and simply holding down the :lsleft: until roughly 10 seconds has passed, then proceed to killing the Gorgon. By the time you finish her off both of your items will be available and you can instantly open up on an enemy with the Amulet. The fastest way to kill her while in the minigame is the :square:+:square:+:triangle: combo—yes, it makes a difference even in the minigames.

By maximizing the up time on the Amulet and Orkos you will save yourself a ton of health and frustration.

2. Never use Rage of the Gods: You will gain much more damage overall from keeping your Rage Meter full, than you would from simply using it with :l3:+:r3:. :square:+:square:+:triangle: and the :l1:+:triangle: attacks are devastating when your meter is full, so keep that meter filled to the brim.

3.) Never Parry, Block Sparingly: Parry is a sure fire way to get massive amounts of your health chunked away. Even when you successfully parry you run the risk of being hit by a second attack. When you miss it you essentially just forfeited 1/6th or more of your health, if you are lucky.

Dodge is your best friend as it will keep your combo counter up, rage meter from deteriorating, and is a 100% chance to be immune to all attacks except for Gorgon tail sweep. Only block when you KNOW you are going to be hit before you have the chance to dodge. You also cannot block Gorgon’s grab which accounts for half of her attacks and resets your rage, as well as doing damage to you that quickly starts to add up. Another thing that makes dodging superior is it slows the deterioration rate of your Rage Meter, which is crucial regardless of what you are fighting.

4.) Don’t Glitch the Orkos: If you use your Orkos while inside of an Amulet slow sphere it will almost always glitch. What I mean by this is it will consume the cooldown but the copy won’t appear. Don’t activate the Orkos from within the sphere, only from max range outside of it.

It will also sometimes not activate when you first press it for some ridiculous reason. The black smoke will appear and Kratos will do the animation, but no copy comes out. At times it will consume the CD and other times it will just reset to full. If it doesn't come out the first try don't panic and immediately use it again, because you might get yourself hit. Only use it again when it is safe to do so.

Floor 1

First and foremost always have your your Fire of Ares (:left:) magic equipped during this phase. Every other magic is useless for what needs to be accomplished. If you ever drop below 1/3rd your health bar at any point on this floor, hit :select: and restart checkpoint. Anything less than 1/3rd health runs the risk of accidentally dying before the end of the gauntlet, unless you play it flawlessly. It's better to simply restart while you are early in than to get near the end and die.

Phase 1 - Two Gorgons

Start the gauntlet by immediately rolling up to where the flame is shooting out from the golden mouths. Doing this will force both of the Gorgons to spawn side by side in the small corridor. Once the Gorgon is almost all the way out of the ground roll backwards (:rsdown:) and your Amulet (:l2:+:square:), then Orkos Stone (:l2:+:triangle:). Both Gorgons should now be slowed and you are free to use a :square:+:square:+:square:+:square:+:square: combo. When it ends just roll away and let them both out.

Continue to roll until they are within blades reach of you, then use your Amulet again since it will be up by then. If you catch them both in it unleash another set of :square:x5’s and then drop two :r2:’s on them, but only if they are close enough to one another to be hit by it. If the first :r2: separates them too much just use roll away or use the amulet to set up another :r2:. By now one or both of them should have a red halo so you can grapple them. If they don’t then use the Orkos/Amulet combo again and grapple them as soon as you can.

After the second gorgon dies phase 2 will begin. However be sure to roll to the very bottom left of the arena the second it dies. This way three enemies will spawn into you so you can immediately use your :r2:

Phase 2 - Two Gorgons & Four Sirens

Important Note: The Sirens can actually be knocked off of the platform with a Club, Orkos, or Fire of Ares :r2:. To do it with a Club or :r2: you must be near them when they are near the edge of the ring and position yourself 🅱️ directly opposite of the edge, so they are between you and it. If you are at all to the side they will merely slide along the edge rather than fly over it. This is really useful if you can knock off one or two at the start of the fight a

This phase is the most dangerous one of the entire gauntlet if it is not done correctly. The goal here is to replenish no fewer than 3 bars of your mana and ideally four, while not dropping below half health.

To accomplish this always aim your Amulet and Orkos at the Sirens—floating women that shoot lightning— because they are the most dangerous. They can stun you easily—which sets up Gorgon stones and/or damage—and their primary attack is a three pulse, homing lightning pillar that can set up some serious combos for them. Your Orkos will knock them high up into the air and keep them controlled while it is up which is invaluable in this fight.

If the enemies are already grouped up—as they should be if you did phase 1 correctly— immediately use your :r2:. After the :r2: ends use it again if at 2 or 3 of them are still within range. If you happen to see a Siren near an edge you can prioritize knocking her out as well. Use :r2: a third time if they are still within close proximity and follow it up by a 4th one if you still have magic, either way after your final :r2: you should immediately Amulet+Orkos. If done flawlessly several of the enemies should already be showing there halo. If a Gorgon and a Siren are red at the same time, grapple the Siren first because the finisher is short and will give you enough time to get on the other enemies.

If you kill both the Gorgons first you can use :l2:+:triangle: combos to daze the Sirens until the round is over, or play it safe and dodge forever and only attack with the Amulet/Orkos combo. Don't use :l2:+:triangle: if even one Gorgon is up. Whatever you do make sure you have no fewer than 3 bars of magic before this phase ends.

Edited by Viper

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floor 2

For many people this section gives them a lot of problems. Fortunately with this strategy it should be an absolute breeze. The only thing you need to really be careful of is not walking into the fire, dodging when the spear women throw the javelin directly into the air, and not getting sucked into the Talos’ lightning storm. Aside from that it’s a cakewalk.

Important Note: :l1:+:triangle: will occasionally daze the blue spear users. Use it while in the air to safely execute the skill and minimize your risk of damage. Also ignore the harpies while they are alive, there is no need to touch them. Also ALWAYS kill the spear users with a grapple finisher because they reward vitality orbs on death.

Phase 1 - Two blue spear women will spawn along with 2 harpies.

The second you see the first spear user begin to appear, use your Orkos, then the Amulet once she is completely out of the ground. Do a :square:+:square:+:triangle: combo on her then quickly jump in the air and do a :l1:+:triangle:. She should now be stunned so you can grapple her. Toss her directly at the other spear user. If your Amulet is up now is the time to use it, if not then dodge towards them and continue using :l1:+:triangle: while in the air and tossing them around. Just be sure to keep using your Amulet and Orkos when they come up.

If for some reason you mess up and get caught by their javelin rain ability or their 3 hit ground combo, start spamming your :r2:. This is the one and only time you should use your :r2: in this phase and ideally you won’t get caught, meaning you won’t have to use it a single time.

After they die use :r1: and throw any remaining harpies off the bridge.

Phase 2 - Lightning Talos and Harpies

Important Note: The only real threat during this phase is the fire. Because of how slow the Talos walks he will make the fire cross your path no less than two times. The fire will do roughly 1/6th of your life every time it hits you, so if you don't have A LOT of health, like 50%+, you need to focus more on dodging than being offensive. If on the other hand you have a lot of health try and keep him on the far side of the corridor by rolling very close to him, even if it means getting hit by fire a few times. As long as you make it out of this phase with ~20% or more health and 1-2 magic you are almost guaranteed to ace Floor 3.

Harpies will slowly spawn one at a time. Grapple them and throw them directly into the wall next to you, not off of the ledge. You want to get your Rage Meter to full off of these harpies so you don’t want them to instantly die for no reason.

The Lightning Talos will spawn at the far end of the corridor. Walk within range of it and throw any remaining harpies at the Talos. Once they are all on his side or dead use your Amulet to keep him in place, then activate Orkos. Most likely you will only get off a few hits before he goes invulnerable. While invulnerable his chest will have lightning sparks shooting out and he can’t be damaged by any means, be it magic or blades, or slowed with the Amulet. If you use the Amulet or the Orkos on him while he’s invincible the cooldown will start but the effects will be negated. Don’t do it.

In order to stop him from being invulnerable you need him to use his lightning storm. Get moderately close to him and when he starts his animation dodge away as quick as you can. If you are too close to him he will suck you in and hurt really bad. Roughly 2-3 seconds after the storm ends he will become vulnerable again.

By now your Amulet and/or Orkos should be be back up. However, if for some reason he walked exceptionally far down the corridor, you should jump over him and the fire and roll the second you hit the ground. Use your Amulet and Orkos once you are safely away from the fire.

Repeat the process until he dies.

Floor 3

This is the easiest and fastest floor of them all. Since you should have no less than 2 magic bar segments you should literally be home free. As long as you don’t suicide on the spikes or have like a sliver of health left you should one shot this, no problem.

Phase 1 - Centaur

This guy should take you about 35 seconds to kill, tops. Open up the fight with an amulet and a :square:x5 combo. The second your fifth attack lands use your Orkos and roll backwards towards the screen. Initiate another :square:x5 combo and be prepared to dodge or block really shortly thereafter.

The only attack you have to be super concerned about is his charge. Luckily this is where block comes into play. If you see him stand up on his hind legs and bring his spear up above his head he is going to charge. Don’t panic, just hold :l1: and you will block him then be sent into a QTE. Win it and repeat your Amulet+Orkos combo and he will literally be on deaths door. If is red halo isn’t there he is just a few hits from it.

Do the grapple finisher on him and it will reward you with ~15-20% of your health.

Phase 2 - Three purple blade users

These guys are absolute pushovers too. Once the first guy is half way out of the ground use your Amulet on him, then your Orkos. If you catch them both then do a :square:x5 combo on them. If you catch only one then do a :square:+:square:+:triangle: combo. Either way after your first combo you want to unleash your :r2: the second the final hit lands.

One more combo on the first guy and he will be halo’d. Grapple him to finish him off and get some magic back. One more guy will spawn but it’s not a big deal, because you have an endless stream of magic from here on out. Use your :r2: again, grapple the first halo you see, spam your Amulet during the animation so it lands the second it ends, then your Orkos.

If you have a full Rage Meter by now (which you absolutely should) swap to your Hades magic (:down:) and use :l3:+:r3: and :r2: at the same time. It will literally stun lock the enemies in place so you can freely spam attacks on them.

Rinse and repeat until obliterated.

Edited by F8L Fool

As I had been stuck on this part since early yesterday, I read the entire guide you listed and decided to give it another shot. I followed everything exactly the way you said and finished it on my first try. Thank you oh so very much!

I'm glad it worked out perfectly for you. That's what I like to hear :). You are very welcome and I hope you enjoyed the game.

I'm on the final phase of the final floor. I have about 50% of my health left, but I don't have any magic. I had to spam it completely during the 2nd floor. Wish me luck!

Edit: I did it! Was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Once I killed one of the enemies, I started getting my magic back and it was smooth sailing from then on!

I have to admit, I was only playing on Normal, but this was still tough for me.

Anyway, thanks for the guide! Worked for me on the very first attempt. Can't believe it!

Edited by Brandon_2535

I'm on the final phase of the final floor. I have about 50% of my health left, but I don't have any magic. I had to spam it completely during the 2nd floor. Wish me luck!

Edit: I did it! Was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Once I killed one of the enemies, I started getting my magic back and it was smooth sailing from then on!

I have to admit, I was only playing on Normal, but this was still tough for me.

Anyway, thanks for the guide! Worked for me on the very first attempt. Can't believe it!

Glad to hear that man. I actually opened up a message to you when I saw you were on it, to say come check out my guide, but I didn't want to distract you lol.

I'm sure you'll crush it on Hard. Just master the first floor and you will realize how easy it becomes.

mate

i realy realy realy love you :D

Imagine that ..I spent for this stage more 12 hours when i played on normal

bu with this awesome guide it take 1 hour on hard

Wow nice improvement. Congratulations on clearing it.

realy thank you :)

thank about the guide, it really help me a lot

took me 2 straight hour of rage to beat this trial, but i glad i can beat it before the patch :D

It took me about 5 tries my first time. I kept getting far too low during the first floor to ever recover. I cleared it the second time I reached the third floor. The first time I had literally a sliver of health when I got there and managed to get hit by the Centaur immediately :(.

Glad it could be of help.

After about by 15th consequetive death I found that the Blades of Ares are definitely the ones that take the most damage, specially against the medusas.

This guide has helped alot, still though a work in progress here. lol

Yup, like I said Ares' magic is easily the best for this. It has the fastest rage generation, raw damage, combos, interrupts, and the magic is the only one that can get every enemy to or near red halo with 4 full uses.

I try to time the Ares magic and Rage of the Gods (:l3:+:r3:) with their attacks. You'll see several times I will do several :square: attacks, then right before a Gorgon grapples me I just blow my :r2:. Rinse and repeat.

Glad the guide helped you. After I finish up Gears of War I'm going to resume Titan and boss filming. Hopefully I'll have a good Titan clearing video to add to this thread real soon, as well as the 100% health clear :).

Using this method (and a bit of my own flair mixed in :p) I completed the first floor with 75% of my health and 3 bars of magic on my Hard run, then went on to beat the Trials and receive my platinum at 3am this morning :dance: Thank you so much for this guide!!! I laughed so hard when the Gorgons actually spawned in the hallway :rofl:

Great guide F8L, very helpful tips, I lack your skills though LOL. I mean I got hit a lot, but made it.

Your tips for the first section was very helpful and I came away with about 75% health. I got my ass kicked in the second section, had about 10% health left. I was going to restart, but went for it. The third section is the easiest just like you said, so I just barely made it.

Yup, like I said Ares' magic is easily the best for this. It has the fastest rage generation, raw damage, combos, interrupts, and the magic is the only one that can get every enemy to or near red halo with 4 full uses.

I try to time the Ares magic and Rage of the Gods (:l3:+:r3:) with their attacks. You'll see several times I will do several :square: attacks, then right before a Gorgons grapples me I just blow my :r2:. Rinse and repeat.

Glad the guide helped you. After I finish up Gears of War I'm going to resume Titan and boss filming. Hopefully I'll have a good Titan clearing video to add to this thread real soon, as well as the 100% health clear :).

Holy crap I DID IT!!!!

What a fucking relief. :dance:

I implemented much of your advices into the fight plus figured something on my own.

Air combos.

Mashing :square:+:cross: allows Kratos to elevate and do a combination of combos. For the first floor I didn't even have to use magic this time. The rage filled up super fast this way. Gorgons when Haloed so fast I was shocked. I still had to do the R2 special to kill those electric girls though.

In the second floor that X+Square button worked even better because the blue chicks cant do a thing when you're in the air and in close proximity.

The third floor I had a little problem with because of the spiked walls. I also failed the commad prompts when fighting that horse dude.

Couldn't have been so happy when I saw the "savings" on the lower right of my screen. That's when I knew I was home free. A short moment after that dreaded trophy pop.

Thanks for the great help. You're a good teacher.

Edited by reck

Thank you so much for this guide! Only took a few more tries, but I finally beat it!! Oh, man I'm so happy now, lol. Thanks again. :D:D

Any time :).

I am thinking of putting an alternate method in for floor 2, for people that can't seem to get out of it with more than like 25% health despite spamming magic on the first floor.

Hopefully it will help the select few people that can't get to phase 3 with magic and/or decent health.