God of War: Ascension

anorexicwes

It looks like a prequel but a few other people have pointed this out and I'm starting to agree; judging by both the title and a few possible hints in the trailer, it may actually be both a sequel and prequel. It might have something to do with the end of God of War III and involve time travel similar to God of War II, but this lets Kratos go back to the beginning or something.

Who knows. Something tells me it's not a simple cut prequel though.

Also, HiryuMK, why have you not responded to my PM?

Don't know what to think of this yet. I'm a huge God of War fan and as such I always worry that too much titles can ruin the series (which luckily so far hasn't happened by my book).

I'm also curious how the plot will turn out. If it's a prequel I would expect this to cover the years Kratos spent in Ares' service up to the betrayal if just for the fact that I doubt they'll to a GoW with Kratos as playable character (on that front, I'm kinda disappointed that we still get no Deimos) but without his trademark weapons.

Another thing that makes me happy though is that it will be a PS3 title. For a second I was worried that I would have to buy a Vita.^^

scary thought but lets hope thats not where the 'shooter' part comes in.. SCARY

Really? Where does it say "shooter"? I seem to have missed it.

Meh, how much more are they going to milk this cow? Her tits are already fucking sore, for fuck's sake.

I don't understand this. I really don't. There's only one fucking God of War game on PS3. One.

Nintendo can milk the hell out of their franchises and everybody laps it up like a bunch of starving kittens. Nobody complains about Microsoft milking Halo either with Halo 4 coming out. Nobody bats an eyelash when Nintendo is releasing Pokemon Plaid, Fuchsia, Topaz and Rainbow Trout, but God forbid there is a sixth God of War game!

If it's God of War, people are like "stop milking it, it should have ended!" Why? Why is it a bad thing for A) Gamers who genuinely enjoy the series and more importantly, what they perceive as a winning formula of gameplay and B) the developers and Sony who obviously want to make money?

Should Harry Potter have ended after 3, 4, or 5 books? What if JK Rowling just dropped the pen and said "You know... I think a small group of fans want it to end after Goblet of Fire. I also don't want more money so let me stop both that and making the other fans happy."

Also why judge a game that isn't even close to being released? When the plot starts making no sense and the gameplay feels loose, rushed, and the visuals have somehow regressed, then, and only then, can you say "it's time to close the book."

It's an extremely intelligent business decision as well. Anyone in that development team with the slightest gauge on the gaming community and especially their own fanbase would be able to see that there's still a significant number of people who would be more than willing to play the game. A lot of developers actually listen to fan feedback nowadays. Developers like Rocksteady are constantly on the prowl of video game forums and listening to what people are saying. They would be aware of both fans that want another game and those that think God of War III should've been the last. Until a majority of their fans are saying things like "for the 2nd PS3 GoW game, the visuals were really a step down and the boss battles felt less epic," "It just has lost its luster since God of War II," "The plot makes no sense anymore," there's no reason they should feel like another game wouldn't be successful.

Also, Sony is still doing kinda badly financially. I don't think the Move is really doing all that great for them, and the Vita is also taking hits. Sony's only real "go-to" move is by making use of their first-party franchises.

But no. Let's not have another God of War, let's not have inFamous 3, Uncharted 4, let's cancel Sly 4, and lets grab the team behind the latest Twisted Metal, take them out behind the shed and shoot them.

God of War is one of my favorite game series and it has punctuated various moments in my gaming life. I will always remember for as long as I live, playing God of War 1, being so overwhelmingly ignorant as to what the next several hours were going to throw at me and having just dispatched a group of undead soldiers on a rainy ship deck, just to go inside and have a gigantic Hydra head burst through and attack me. I won't forget the absolute terror and frustration the imposing Kraken laid down on me in God of War II. And I don't know if I'll ever see a more well presented, cinematic, visually stunning, and enthralling fight than the opening fight of God of War III against Poseidon.

If I had even the slightest hope that this new God of War game could add at least one more of gaming's greatest memories to my noggin, why the hell would I bitch and moan about another game?

Edited by Veritas7Ax

If it's God of War, people are like "stop milking it, it should have ended!" Why? Why is it a bad thing for A) Gamers who genuinely enjoy the series and more importantly, what they perceive as a winning formula of gameplay and B) the developers and Sony who obviously want to make money?

Can't say for others but for me, the reason why I'm skeptic of too many sequels is the worry that at some point the game and story (I do care a lot for plot in games) will suck at some point and not hold the standards we're used.

As I said in my previous post, with the 5 GoW installments so far it didn't happen yet but each additional games makes me worry that it will happen because with each story already told, there's less to be told and I totally hate it if some crappy story is made up just for the sake of putting out another sequel. Hope you get what I mean.

That said, I'm still looking forward to the game and really hope that it will do the series justice.

snip

tl;dr

There has been six God of War games already since Jaffe launched the series back in 2005. Or did you not expect people who own a PS3 to have other consoles?

Sony Santa Monica are a group of extremely talented individuals. While it's good to stick with a substantiated formula, they should be allowed to test new waters.

Or maybe, I guess you are one of those people who would jump for joy at the announcement of a new Call of Duty title every year, simply and purely because it is good from a "business perspective." Eh, you dig?

I agree that they are milking this a bit, but I've loved every single GoW game, so I say keep on squeezin'!

Kinda sad that it is another prequel, but I still can't wait for this.

lol, true I guess. I will probably be the first in line at the Midnight Launch to get the game either way.

Edited by EEHHHHHH

is anybody else worried if it is pre chains and swords and is actually a shooter???

This is the second time I hear the term shooter in the context with this game. Where exactly was anything along the lines of this game being a shooter mentioned? I can't seem to find it myself.

Edited by Ivotas

This is the second time I hear the term shooter in the context with this game. Where exactly was anything along the lines of this game being a shooter mentioned? I can't seem to find it myself.

in the thread below (19.4 announcement) someone posted a pic of gow iv and it says it's a shooter.

no big deal.

It looks like a prequel but a few other people have pointed this out and I'm starting to agree; judging by both the title and a few possible hints in the trailer, it may actually be both a sequel and prequel. It might have something to do with the end of God of War III and involve time travel similar to God of War II, but this lets Kratos go back to the beginning or something.

Who knows. Something tells me it's not a simple cut prequel though.

Also, HiryuMK, why have you not responded to my PM?

Totally agree. Bur I was starting to think that a plot where he would hunt down Athena would be great.

in the thread below (19.4 announcement) someone posted a pic of gow iv and it says it's a shooter.

no big deal.

Ah, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Totally agree. Bur I was starting to think that a plot where he would hunt down Athena would be great.

I think that the original prequel without any time travel would work well if it shows his years in service for Ares (the intro chapter could actually be the war with the barbarians with an endboss battle against the Barbarian king which Kratos loses, like he lost to Zeus in the beginning of GoW II).

He might not have been on a quest for revenge back then but if you remember the flashbacks from GoW he's been a ruthless and angry general none the less. It could work out actually. Heck, it's written nowhere that Kratos' only tasks for Ares was to attack villages in favor of Athena. Ares might have send him to invade other cultures/countries too. All I'm saying is that there's enough room to be creative if going with this story without having to resort to time travel.

I love plots and stories in games almost more than actual gameplay, so I don't like the idea of them bringing Kratos back, especially if this is set after the events of GoW3.

If it's a prequel then that's not so bad, but in my opinon, in the GoW canon the ending of 3 should be the last page of the book. It's the perfect ending for Kratos, and I don't want it to be ruined.

Sadly that's not my call, and as long as Kratos shifts games they will probably not give a shit about the canon (tbf the ending of the first game contradicts every other game that follows, in that it shows that he's still god of war even during World War 2) and just make games featuring him until the cows come home.