Leveling Guide

fluojn

I'm posting this thread because I believe there's many individuals like myself who consider the leveling up at Getting Fit With Mel B is quite confusing and almost give up on the platinum trophy for it. It is actually pretty simple when you get a hang of it, nevertheless it is going to take you much time and even more effort.

First things first. You need to be sure your PS Eye is picking you up correctly. I have a relatively small livingroom and the camera is going nuts everytime I make too big moves (like when doing dance workout with those spins). SO refrain from waving around too much and concentrate at keeping your percentage high. For me there is some exercises that I always get 55-75% no matter what so I am ready to blame either my small livingroom or the Eye. I noticed, when the sun starts to shine from the window, the eye loses the trace of the Move controller. If something like this happens, quickly pause the game and calibrate the controller by keeping select pressed down. The Eye calibrates the light settings and you should be able to continue normally.

OK. After creating a profile, Mel B will suggest you a personalised workout everyday. I reckon I got every 7 different workouts first week and got level 50 in every one of them. Then I created custom workouts and got nothing. (Except trophy) Same for the challenges. Even if I got gold medal from fighting fit challenge (which took almost 45 mins) I got no levels whatsoever.

I got a little frustrated, because I constantly got 90-94% and gold medals from my workouts but no levels. It seemed one would have to be a fitness god or something like that and get 100 % all the time to level.

Then next week I again started doing my personalised workouts. I noticed there were more reps for every exercise and there were couple of new ones. After getting a gold medal after workout like that - voila - I got level 55.

So there is the key I thought. After exceling at the workout of your level , Mel B gives you a harder one and sees if you can do it. If you succeed, you are rewarded with next 5 levels. I've heard at these forums that you can start level 90 or something like if you do good enough but I really really doubt it, 'cause I'm not so bad with those exercises myself and still started 50.

So if you want to get those Triathlon and The Triple trophies, do the personalised workout for 15 mins every day and see which three you are best with (for me they were fighting, dancing and step/advanced cardio). After that start doing those and before long Mel should level you up. I think it doesn't matter how long you exercise, because I did 60 min dance workout and got no improvement on my level.

Feel free to post your leveling theories here if you disagree, but this worked for me. Leveling up is kinda slow but when going for those 20 workouts each workout type, try to get gold every time and you'll get there.

edit: By the way, if Mel asks you after the workout how it was, answer always too easy. Then she knows to raise the difficulty and give you possibility to advance levels

edit: The training time DOES count towards the leveling. When you go to the higher levels, Mel is giving you the more variety of exercises per workout. If you pick only 15 minutes, you don't have time to do them all, in other words can't do them, so your level doesn't advance. So look closely the reps Mel has set you and consider how long does it take to do all the excercises.

edit: Another discovery. If you are not sure how much time you should pick to do the exercises, pick something between 30-60 mins and stop the workout when you have done all the exercises listed at the beginning of workout. You are not awarded a medal, but you still advance levels if you've done your reps with accuracy over 90 %

edit: And for how long it's taking to plat this game... It depends how many workouts you do daily. In theory if you level up every time you exercise (which I doubt) and start from level 50. it takes 10 workouts per workout type to get to level 100. And you need to do 20 workouts of every type individually plus gold medal challenges. SO, if you do 2 workouts daily it takes 73 days. If 3 workouts, then about 49 days and if 4 then 37 days. And so on. It depends how determined and how good shape you are in.

edit: I don't know if anyone is reading this anymore, but after a break of almost a half year I realised, that when you are going for those super difficult over 90 levels, always pay attention to the exercise list Mel gives you at the beginning of the workout. When trying desperately to level up combat, I got 97% from 30 minute workout and still didn't advance in levels. I noticed that the workout lacked the back kicks and some others. After I did a combat workout with those missing exercises, my level rose! SO, bottom line, sometimes it's IMPOSSIBLE to level even if you do perfectly! This is 'cause Mel wants to see improvement in every different exercise in the workout set. So even while it pains to know this, just do the workout, it still counts towards the 20 of every workout trophy!

Edited by fluojn

To tell you the truth, I am now at the level 65 at combat, step and dance and less in the other categories. I have had hard time trying to level lately, 'cause Mel doesn't seem to make the exercises harder. I get gold medals constantly, with 92-93% but it seems it takes couple of tries. I'm intending to experiment if the exercise time has somethig to do with the levelling at the higher levels.

edit: Indeed the training time counts towards the leveling. When you go to the higher levels, Mel is giving you the more variety of exercises per workout. If you pick only 15 minutes, you don't have time to do them all, in other words can't do them, so your level doesn't advance. So look closely the reps Mel has set you and consider how long does it take to do all the excercises.

Some moves are very easy to fail as I don't get good percentage no matter what. Such moves are shuffles, back kicks, and my meter is going to yellow always when there is a little pause between uppercuts and side punches. I don't know why... :( Guess it is my livingroom again...

Edited by fluojn

so at this point how would you rate the accuracy of the Move/Eye system at determining how well you're doing your reps?

i keep going back and forth about buying this game, but i have ZERO patience for motion gaming technology's bugginess.

have you been in a situation where you were sure you were doing it right, but the system didn't recognize it, and as a result you didn't level up (or complete a challenge, etc.), meaning you wasted a bit of time?

Indeed that has happened many times... But today I just leveled to step level 80, dance 75 and combat 75 with no problems.

The eye is very sensitive gizmo, that doesn't tolarate any kind of change in the backgroung or your positioning in front of your tv. If someone switches lights on the room, you begin to fail miserably. If sun starts to shine from the window, your percentage falls to 50-70% and sometimes the eye doesn't find the move ball at all. If someone just opens a door of the room you are standing in, it may affect the results.

So the answer to these problems is:

- Never play on a half cloudy day. Light between sun being behind the clouds and not, ruins your workout with no exeption. Same goes for sunset and rise.

- Play only, when you know you won't be interrupted in any kind of way. There can be no other movement before the eye whatsoever.

- Don't get frustrated if some reps don't go so good. The better percentage makes up to them. Just make sure you don't get below 90 % more than 2 times in a 15 minutes.

- Always use the eye widescreen. I didn't realise I didn't have the lense swithed to right positon, 'cause I thought that if the blue light shines = widescreen mode.

Just buy the game already. It gets you fit :p

let me add vital point

each time you REALY practice ... u gain stamina & youre body will be adjusted to a good fitness level , to make sure of this u MUST SLEEP EARLY, avoid smoking , 7 drink fluids to ( especialy after exercise)

now let me add another point to youre edits, i am now 100%step-95%dance-combat , those 3 are the easiest actually , i leveled up not by playing them constantly, i reached step level 100 before even playing it 20 times till my last exercise today with it

i got those high ratings i always train every day ( skip 1 or 2 if i had a long job or tired ) so sometime in my schedule i do cardio-fitness-pump tone-combat then step..... (randomly speaking) it appears after a sit of exercise(different) the game tests you for another type of exercise if u scored GOLD medal it raise you up , the most exercise i reapetedly & done it in the custome WORKOUT was combat & passed 20 (the only one) and still 95% , my dancing went up same as the steps

my other ratings: fitness 60% (lesser 1 i didbut sure passed or near 10 ) cardio 55% - adv/cardio 50% ( did only 2) pump tone ( 45% because i chosed TOO HARD when i 1st did it)

i have over 65 gold medals & only 14/15 silver

done ALL CHALENGES GOLD

missing trophies of the count number of each exercise, triple 100% % 1000 push up & abds

some exercise depending on very detailed movement while others u can just move youre hands & u get 99%

some easy stupid exercises i SCORE between 60-80%!!! still couldnt figure why or how, u should aim for 90% or higher, getting golds alot will give u an overall gold, last time i did get 6 silvers ranging from 70%-89% i still managed to get 90% overal which is a GOLD medal

bottom line , if you are fit you will do better in this game , trust me,youlle level faster

i lost 6 KG , in the pst 7 years i couldnt drop my wieght from 78kg (between 80/78) , now between 72/73 kg) , but i cought 1 KG cause sweats are so sweat when u know you r thin (normal BMI) ;p

EDIT: to ensure u level up, try to get overal rating 90% or above (gold medal ) this is the only way to make it faster, another thing do it in the WORKOUT SECTION & not in the custom (even if u picked a workout there & not customizing it choosing a specific single exercise in the main exercise ( like u choose all except push ups) it should be a workout ,

now this means u dont need to get all youre exercises in 1 session all golds as i stated before above, more over , do it in 30 min, the tough exercises just do it in 15min (for me adv/cardio) after getting good stamina increase time to 30min, another hint:

always if u started youre exercise a bad starting push SQUARE BUTTON, this will tell u do u want a tutorial for this exercise , choose yes, this will allow u to re do the exercise...while time is counted to, which will let u catch a breath & skip couple of seconds, this thing helped me constatntly as some exercises sometimes the eye doesnt see u will (this is a good startegy for the chalenges)

u can pause the game pushing start button which will stop ALL everything.... take a break then come back & continue ( this i am doing after my son was born in the past weaks so i can attend to him )

..... damn man i have so many things to say, by the way..... DO NOT ATTEMPT DOING FITNESS-ADV/CARDIO-PUMP TONE unless you think you R N GOOD SHAPE & YOU ARE MENTALLY+PHYSICALLY READY.... cause things might get wrong (happened to me twice in pumptone & adv/cardio)

i am open for any advise in this game & u can add me friend psn: d_empiror

Edited by D_E

okay i've done Combat and Fitness 30-minute workouts for the first time. I told Mel they were to easy and she put me at level 75 for each of them.

i just did a 30-minute Combat workout and got a 90% (gold medal), but she didn't ask me if it was too hard/easy and my level didn't change. is that how it's supposed to work?

LOL, pretty fast advance :D

I also did a 91 % workout yesterday in combat and didn't advance... So I'll try it again today. I think you may need better percentage or longer exercise time. I honestly don't know. But we're getting there

Pump it up guys!!

okay here's something encouraging:

1) i ranked level 75 after my first 30 minutes of Combat

2) i then did another 30 minutes of Combat, scored 90%, but didn't level

3) my girl then did 30 minutes of Combat on my profile, scored 83%, and i DID level up to 80.

so two 30-minute workouts should do it?

yes as i said before u need to do the exercise more than 1 time , the only 1 time u do it & level up if u scored gold after a series of other exercise type , i always score above 90% but dont level up immediatly, sometimes because of my program i repeat the same exercise for 3 days ,

the only thing i noticed, if u improved youre score on some individual exercises there u might expect a raise in level , in my step exercises i always get all of the individual workouts gold , but that doesnt mean if u get a silver of some of them u wont rank up, this is the only explanation i have because i did combat more than steps & still didnt reach 100%(stuck on 95%)

Those Combat exercises are cruel. How come I get 82-87% from simple jabs and 75% from regular uppercuts and above 90% everything else? LOL!!

Nevertheless I got today my Hat Trick Trophy! Now going for Professional on steps!!

The leveling up trophies are not the hardest trophies to get, the 1000 rep excercises are.

Also I got to level 100 before I finished the 20 excercises, so no grind or tricks needed.

yeah that's going to be the case for me too.

how difficult are the challenges? so far i'm awful at the Dance workouts. does that mean i'm going to fail the Dance challenge?

yeah that's going to be the case for me too.

how difficult are the challenges? so far i'm awful at the Dance workouts. does that mean i'm going to fail the Dance challenge?

u just need stamina, or pause the game between every eercise , relax & then start .

it appears not to just get a higher percentage to level up , but the star points counts to, i am still stuck at combat 95% , 2 exercises i am still failing to master according to the game, the back kicks & the uppercuts ( the standing & not the leaning forward one)

i forgot to say something before , i ranked up after finishing an exercise with silver medal (88% overall rating)

yesterday i done pump tone got 11 silver (2 betwenn 80-70%) & 10 golds & got overal rating 93% gold medal, today , fitness , 7silver 7 gold resulted 91% gold medal

so just keep exercising, if youre calibration is good dont worry, but if its bad like me youll gonna suffer repeating exercises especialy in the challenges, i suffered with the legs ( 2nd attempt got gold cause iceskater exercise is BS)

LOL! I'm nearly at level 100 at steps, I need just the last 5 levels.

I just did 30 minute full step exercise two times with 96 % accuracy and didn't advance. I noticed there was less reps in the actual exercise of some moves that was shown in the beginning so I believe I need to do longer maybe 45 minute workout to get to the level 100.

I just think this is kinda retarded because the game makes the exercises loop from done 18 minutes of 30 so I am doing them all but game still wants to repeat some and leave some off. That's evil. Just give me the Perfectionist trophy already :mad:

(In the other hand I get fit trying so it's a win win situation not like in the other games when u fail you have just wasted your precious time :D)

yes correct , but the level system not only u need to score high score, its how u fit, u can ask youre gym trainer to, supposedly if u can reach 20 exercise repetition of 1 type u should get 100% if youre doing it regularly

but in my case am stuck in combat 95% , with my last score 95% , the only thing i can think i need to score above or should i say getting better scores in those session that u get low ratings, and here where the calibration fails is the game

I can't believe it. I did 45 minute step workout with 95 % overall accuracy, went through the reps presented in the beginning 2,5 times, had every rep done over 90 % accuracy and no level 100.

This is beginning to piss me off big time. I can't believe it requires better performance in some individual reps if overall accuracy is so high. It's BS. If this goes on aquiring the platinum will be VERY VERY hard.

ok, so i just completed 20 fitness workout, but it was weird how i got it, yesterday & today i didnt do a fitness workout....let me say 4 days now from the last one, i only did yesterday & today push-up on toe & push-up on knee 20 respectively once-only no repetition & no worm up or cool down , got both gold & it counted as a workout for 2minutes maybe

so it seems u dont need to actually complete a main workout to get the repetition trophies

• 3 weeks later...

finally, DANCE 100% in its 19 number session

i got 409 stars, 96% overall, 2 silvers 87% side bounces (which usually i get above 90%) & 89% on heel twist ( always between 90-88% ), the nw thing i did in this session is i got gold in 1 execise i always get silver on it, & 409 star which i dont think i reached it before, the last 1 was 406 i think

then i did a custom workout & got the 20 session dance trophy

by the way, the press up must be on TOES & the abs of steel trophy must be LONG ARM CRUNCHES

How long are your workouts? Do you set them on the maximum of 90 minutes?

finally, DANCE 100% in its 19 number session

i got 409 stars, 96% overall, 2 silvers 87% side bounces (which usually i get above 90%) & 89% on heel twist ( always between 90-88% ), the nw thing i did in this session is i got gold in 1 execise i always get silver on it, & 409 star which i dont think i reached it before, the last 1 was 406 i think

then i did a custom workout & got the 20 session dance trophy

by the way, the press up must be on TOES & the abs of steel trophy must be LONG ARM CRUNCHES

I'm so glad someone figured that out! Would you mind if I used some information (I will of course credit you) in my guide? I need to rework it a bit so that it's a little more detailed.

If you mean things I said in the first post, go ahead. If you refer to D_E's post his advice may be better since he has really gotten some of those level 100 trophies. I'm stuck at step level 95... I've done about 8 workouts 30-60 minutes and overall percentage 94-96 % Every move is above 90 % I can't understand what is required to get from 95 to 100. It's definately BS