do you agree or disagree?

pogs2k10

ok, my mam was watching oprah one night and i came in. it was about oprah at this place where childeren were thought not to play.they didnt know what the likes of shrek, little mermaid or hannah montana was. they thought that work was "fun". i thimk this is completly wrong. you shouldnt take that away from a child.

even worse the father had several wifes.the wifes all took care of the childeren equally. they werent aloud out of this place. what do you think?

Edited by pogs2k10

Ok, my mom was watching Oprah one night and I came in. It was about Oprah at this place where children were taught not to play. They didnt know what the likes of Shrek, Little Mermaid or Hannah Montana were. They thought that working was "fun". I think this is completely wrong. You shouldn't take that away from a child.

Even worse the father had several wives. The wives all took care of the children equally. They weren't allowed out of this place. What do you think?

Alright, I fixed a bit your typos, to understand more what you were talking about.

All I can say is that each culture can judge what is tolerable or not within it.

Yup, this should be in the Off Topic Section.

To answer your question, Its kind of weird. I know some people who's parents are like that, well kind of. All they want their kid to do is focus on school work, and just study and study, if that guy gets a 90% average, they get pissed and want him to get a 95%, his dad thinks 95% is less in Math, and he should get above 95% in Math. Kind of weird, I wouldnt want my kid to be like that. I think what you are talking about though, is a cultural thing, which I guess is fine.

What's Oprah? :think:

a show on TV, but thats not important its about whats on the show.

I don't like the idea one bit, what do you childrin have left if you take away 'playing'? (assuming this is everything like gaming, watching tv, playing outside etc...)

I think its a really stupid idea, children develop by playing, by taking it away your getting underdevelopt children. Which is not what the paraents want if you ask me...

a show on TV, but thats not important its about whats on the show.

I don't like the idea one bit, what do you childrin have left if you take away 'playing'? (assuming this is everything like gaming, watching tv, playing outside etc...)

I think its a really stupid idea, children develop by playing, by taking it away your getting underdevelopt children. Which is not what the paraents want if you ask me...

Someone's sarcasm meter isn't working! :applause:

Also, Santa isn't real and neither is the tooth fairy, Easter bunny or Jesus.

LOL Agreed. :whistle:

So these kids weren't exposed to the mindless pop culture that degrades & poisons the minds of the mainstream youth? How is this a bad thing?

Honestly, I feel that most children in our society are allowed too much initial freedom. This is why we have Obama lecturing us about kids playing too many video games while not doing their homework. There should be a fine balance between work & play. It wouldn't be so terrible to teach children work ethics at an early age, as long as they're allowed an equal amount of time to unwind & enjoy themselves. Unless working is what they happen to enjoy, then who are we to begrudge them this?

I saw it. The kids were perfectly happy and safe. It was a commune. The kids were home schooled and taught responsibility by doing jobs. Nobody was fucking teaching them not to play. Saying that just shows ignorance to the situation.

It was their own choice. They decided what they'd do with their time. They liked it. The short time they spent outside the commune they hated every minute.

The reason they were forced from the commune was because some cluless dolt decided the kids were being abused and reported bullshit child abuse claims. One asshole who decided that they didn't like what was going on induced the worst experiance the kids ever experianced.

Just because those kids find fun in doing chores while you'd prefer they be treated like every other spoiled brat today doesn't mean theres something being done wrong. Maybe we should give kids a bit more responsibility, and there'd be less braindead, pregnant, drug addled teenagers these days.

Seriously, different doesn't automatically mean wrong.

Edited by Labreya

I guess upbringings are different and it will decide how the child will turn out in the future, but still if a child only experiences working and then say they found it fun, it's probably because thay are use to it, and since they have not heard things like shrek, little mermaid ect. However if they never had it how could they know which is better or how could they even know how to miss the other.

I personally think it's best if they have a balance, or before you know it, there childhood will be gone, and they will have more responsibility as adults.Life is only lived once why not experience the other side of it, as long as it is not illegal or prone to get you in serious trouble :/

The problem nowadays is how parents let their children waste time. Parents use the television as a babysitter for their children or let their kids play video games all day long.

The wife and I don't have cable or satellite hooked up here and probably never will, when we are someplace with a television and have no need to go anywhere it can suck us in. After we leave that situation we realize that we just wasted x amount of time and got absolutely nothing out of it. There's a few shows we watch on Netflix and of course we play video games and so will our kids, but it is going to be limited. Kids need to play outside, be active, and use their imagination.

The wife and I also will greatly stress education, it is important to both of us, and if the kids work hard they will be rewarded for it.