Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Great Idea, I'd go for it. 16 76.19%
Waste of time/money, I wouldn't bother. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
disinformation

Send a message via MSN to disinformation

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Silver
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Post Thoughts on a service Similar to Gamefly

I know the majority of users here are from other countries, but I had the thought of starting a service similar to Gamefly in Australia.

I had the thought while reading This thread.

I did a pretty in depth search and found only 1 company in Australia who offers this service, but they are based in Perth (probably the furthest capitol city from any other in Australia - Might as well get games from Malaysia). There was another one that I found, but it seems as though they've stopped trading as the most recent game I found on their list was Modern Warfare 2 (released November last year).

My thoughts were offering a service setup in the following manner:
- Monthly membership fee of $24.95 per month for a 2 game membership.
- Keep the games as long as you want (provided you haven't canceled your membership).
- Included Postage costs utilizing Australia's Registered Post.
- Free game swapping up to 8 times per month (maybe charge $1 for each swap within the month after that)
- Option to purchase ex-rental games.
- Option to take payment via Pay-Pal (probably only 1 game membership for $15.95 until you've been a member for a set amount of time on pay-pal accounts).
- A reduced cost for the first month for new members.
- A "Queue" system similar to that of gamefly.
- And lastly, a guarantee of sorts whereby if we can't provide a game that's in you're Queue for any more than say, 2 weeks, you dont have to pay your membership fee for that month (provided you don't have any other games out and your queue list is more than 3 games in size)

For those here in Australia, would you go for something like this? those outside of Australia, please feel free to provide your thoughts on it.

I'm aware that the initial cost would be pretty substantial and it probably wouldn't pick up for a while, but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this to see if you guys think it would be worthwhile doing.

If you do like the idea, I encourage you to have others look at it if possible to get their thoughts too.

Last edited by disinformation; 03-16-2010 at 09:15 AM.
disinformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
DBZ0wnz

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

I'm currently on a O k a y service, but their from QLD and im from NSW which takes like forever to arrive, Good idea mate.

^ Click ^
DBZ0wnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
ToastedAndButter

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Yer me and DB are on the same service, and its alrightttt.. but thinking about it, you would need a lot of money to purchase a good set of ps3 games to start, and more then one copy of each. And where are u? coz i need a job lol.

ToastedAndButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
HemDogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ0wnz View Post
I'm currently on a O k a y service, but their from QLD and im from NSW which takes like forever to arrive, Good idea mate.

what service are you on?
I want in!?

I didn't know such a thing existed in AUS.

and as for your idea, it would be AWESOME if you could, but it would require a lot of start up capital, so, a small business loan would be your best bet, but, I am unsure as to whether or not a bank or financial institution would loan you the money, they might see it is too risky.. but, I mean, if you personally want to get it started, you have to think, it would be a business, a full time job.. very hard and a very risky to start, but seeing as there are little to no similar things in AUS that I am aware of, you'd have a niche market and could make a lot of money.

there are steps to creating a small business, I personally have no idea, but i'd assume you'd need some sort of business plan, and I am sure there would be places to help you out if that was the path that you wanted to take. But I mean, go for it, we need a service here like gamefly, and i'd sign up day one if you or someone else started it.. and i'm sure a lot of others would too.

HemDogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
ToastedAndButter

Its Game Guys: PS2 / Playstation 2, PS3 / Playstation 3, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii and X-Box 360 Game Rentals, Australia they speciaize in games now, just havnt changed there domain name yet.. and im not sure if this is classed as advertising so mods, do what u feel fit.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
bjorn9486

I'm a business major and I would agree with what people have said here; you will need a lot of start up capital, it would be a full time job (or close to it) and it will be very risky.

However, if it is true that there is no such service in AUS and there is a demand for it (which there seems to be) you should do quite well as long as you stay on top of it.

Good luck if you attempt this!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
ToastedAndButter

Well comparing prices to what he wants and the service i am currently with, he wants 25 dollars for 2 games rental, and i am on 20 for one games rental, and they ask 30 for 2 games (if i remember correctly) so hes already out front there.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
disinformation

Send a message via MSN to disinformation

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Silver
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedAndButter View Post
Well comparing prices to what he wants and the service i am currently with, he wants 25 dollars for 2 games rental, and i am on 20 for one games rental, and they ask 30 for 2 games (if i remember correctly) so hes already out front there.
Yeah, i looked at the other guys and figured I'd have to do better than them in order to succeed, hence why I put these prices - having said that, i've yet to look into postage costs on such a venture, but I imagine, that should cover costs and turn a profit (once it picks up and I have a decent catalog of games).

I'm in Melbourne, but depending where you are, could do a sort of secondary shipping point from where you are (if it started doing well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn9486 View Post
I'm a business major and I would agree with what people have said here; you will need a lot of start up capital, it would be a full time job (or close to it) and it will be very risky.

However, if it is true that there is no such service in AUS and there is a demand for it (which there seems to be) you should do quite well as long as you stay on top of it.

Good luck if you attempt this!
Thanks for the good luck! Im sure it would be a fairly big cost, but I may be able to talk a supplier/distributor into retailer prices if they see it as a viable business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemDogz View Post
what service are you on?
I want in!?

I didn't know such a thing existed in AUS.

and as for your idea, it would be AWESOME if you could, but it would require a lot of start up capital, so, a small business loan would be your best bet, but, I am unsure as to whether or not a bank or financial institution would loan you the money, they might see it is too risky.. but, I mean, if you personally want to get it started, you have to think, it would be a business, a full time job.. very hard and a very risky to start, but seeing as there are little to no similar things in AUS that I am aware of, you'd have a niche market and could make a lot of money.

there are steps to creating a small business, I personally have no idea, but i'd assume you'd need some sort of business plan, and I am sure there would be places to help you out if that was the path that you wanted to take. But I mean, go for it, we need a service here like gamefly, and i'd sign up day one if you or someone else started it.. and i'm sure a lot of others would too.
Thanks heaps, glad to know I would get some customers.

disinformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
DBZ0wnz

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Of course if we help out (across aus) we'd need some sorta discount.
btw GameOguys have free shipping.

^ Click ^
DBZ0wnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
ToastedAndButter

I would gladly run a shipping point from home. I have a friend up in sydney who does it for quickflix. But she doesnt do it from home, just goes in puts dvds in envolopes and goes home lol.

Tags
i pick option number 1, nice sig aidan