Your Opinion on Using Glitches to Attain Trophies

Vault Boy Steve

Your Opinion on Using Glitches/Exploits to Unlock Trophies  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Your Opinion on Using Glitches/Exploits to Unlock Trophies

• Yes! I will use every tool available to me, using glitches and exploits is fine
    • No! I believe you must earn Trophies, therefore I do not use glitches/exploits
    • Depends on the game

Time for another controversial thread, brought to you by VaultBoySteve... xD Anyway, this is another topic I've discussed with people for years on various platforms, such as Xbox and Steam.

What is your stance on using glitches and exploits to intentionally unlock Trophies verses earning them the legitimate way as the developers intended, and more importantly, why?

I stand with the never glitch or exploit crowd. I believe Trophies are supposed to be earned and intentionally glitching one would feel like I've invalidated my entire list. For me, Trophies are badges of honour, and whatever game I play, I strive for the highest completion percentage no matter how hard or easy, as I love the feeling of accomplishment.

So which side of the fence are you on, and why?

PS: Let me be clear, this isn't referring to boosting, which still requires work and may be necessary for some barron games, this is referring to using glitches to skip past challenges or segments, such as a glitch that would let you play on Easy, but earn a Trophy for completing on Hard.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no problem with it, especially if it's something designed to be insanely cheap or unfair (Brutal on Uncharted).

I can have a short fuse with games sometimes, so if I can earn a trophy easier using an exploit or glitch and it gives me more enjoyment then I am going to do it, I see no reason whatsoever to make life harder for myself if I don't have to.

I find little enjoyment in the frustration of trying to earn harder trophies nor do I care about earning trophies the so called 'true' way, there are some exceptions though.

Edited by Sellers

What is your stance on using glitches and exploits to intentionally unlock Trophies verses earning them the legitimate way as the developers intended, and more importantly, why?

In this age of the internet and game patches... if a glitch goes unfixed, I'd be curious to hear how it is not "as the developers intended"? I mean yeah, if a trophy requirement is "beat the game on hard" and you beat it on easy and get the trophy... something isn't right about that... but there's also something to be said about being savvy enough to worm your way through a hole in their programming/logic (if one exists) or leveraging the blatant opportunities the dev's give you. The Stanley Parable (an excellent and hilarious game on PC) is basically the living embodiment of modern game design and indirectly encouraging the player to play against the way the developer may be telling them to; it speaks volumes.

I generally don't abuse glitches, I think the only one in my resume would be Red Dead Redemption and the multiplayer ranks. If I did and it got fixed, I'd feel pretty ****ty about it. If it never gets fixed, as far as I'm concerned its a part of the game... just as viable as any other feature. (How many years can Rockstar ignore that dead body glitch in RDR online? Geez. I'd almost think its intentional at this point.)

Though, the concept of willfully uninstalling or never installing patches to make getting the achievements/trophies easier never sat well with me. Don't see the point of that.

Edited by Dreakon13

Voted depends on the game.

Generally I'm very much against major glitches that diminish the point of the trophy itself (such as skip half/entire game to get the trophy for beating it on hard... Gow...) The point of these trophies are to challenge me, and by using the glitches I would remove the point or the enjoyment/feeling of accomplishment by the trophy in my opinion.

But then there's some where you can abuse a glitch for grinding trophies that prove no skill or challenge of any kind whatsoever, grinds that were just put on the trophy set as a dumb try by the developers to keep you playing the game (FC2 rank 30?), I don't mind using glitches for these. I still don't feel like I really accomplished the trophy then but the thing is that even if I did, I wouldn't feel better because then I would have wasted time doing pretty much nothing... not enjoying the game, not challenging myself, just repeatedly performing the same action for long hours.

So yeah. tldr... no-no for making hard trophies easier, but definitely fuck grinds.

Yeah, but if it's an online game that effects other things then no.

Oh yeah, I have an issue with anything that fucks things over for other players. The two that come to mind are people that skip days in The Last of Us (sucks when you go a teammate down instantly in Survivors) or those that are rubber banding in Rocket League (again, sucks having someone waste a valuable space).

It all depends on the trophy but more often than not I'll take the advantage.

If I have to replay the entire game for a speedrun or I deem something to be ridiculous(ly unfair or annoying) just to extend the games life than I will use a glitch/exploit. A game like Dark Souls I don't see anything wrong with duping items, but that's a bitch move if you take it into multiplayer (unless you fight other dupers)

Edited by Dipsy

This^

I've only played unpatched on purpose a couple of times and hated myself on both occasions :(.

This reminds me of when I borrowed that Avatar game off a friend back in my 360 days, he said, here, an easy 3 minute 1000 gamerscore. Man, I felt dirty for months xD Glad I abandoned that profile though, I like the Trophy System way more!

If a developer makes a mistake, the player should be allowed to take advantage of that mistake until it is fixed.

Not entirely my point per se. I was asking if you individually use said exploits and why, or chose not to and why. Not the overall moral premise :)

Yeah, but if it's an online game that effects other things then no. I remember being super salty about doing the Vettel challenges gold legit on Gran Turismo 5 only for glitches to be found a month later.

I agree with the online there, nothing worse than trying to seriously play a game online and having your team mates fumbling around trying to get Trophies whilst sabotaging the team.

I'd be super proud about the Vettel situation though, you at least earned it the hard way and your timestamp proves it. It's like Surgeon Simulator, there was a glitch pre 1.03 that gave you the A++ on all surgeries Trophy after achieving that rating on the first 5 surgeries. It's a very hard Trophy, extremely frustrating, but I couldn't see myself using that glitch, and I'm glad my timestamp will prove that I didn't lol :p

A game like Dark Souls I don't see anything wrong with duping items, but that's a bitch move if you take it into multiplayer (unless you fight other dupers)

Similar scenario in No Man's Sky.

I don't know why, but I feel I must earn every thing in life, rather than be given it, maybe that's why I feel dirty and cheap if I ever cheat in video games, like I'm robbing myself of the experience so to speak.

Anyway, not a glitch, maybe, but when talking to aliens in NMS, you can pay 20 Carbon and request a new word for their language, speak to them again, and you have 3 different options, choose any, speak again, and you can request a word again. You can rinse and repeat this. There are 3 Trophies for word collection, last one being a Gold at 150 words. I avoided that tactic I found, as it was boring and cheap, so I only learn one word from each as a rule, plus knowledge stones and monoliths. Still, I've learnt 160 Korvax and about 30 Gek words by now, and I love finding more.

Edited by Vault Boy Steve

It honestly depends on the game in question and how much I like it, what the trophy requires, and stuff like that. Best examples I can think of off the top of my head are Wolfenstein: The New Order and God of War 3 Remastered.

In TNO, you can delete a patch and do some shit that gives you the trophy for beating the game on hard by only playing the last level instead of the entire game. I didn't do it because I loved that game and wanted the challenge and had a blast going for it.

Then there's God of War 3 Remastered, where you can skip most of the game on Hard and still get the trophy, and you bet your ass I used that glitch because God of War 3 is a boring exercise in mindless button mashing and if they couldn't be assed to fix this glitch not only in patches for the original PS3 version but also the re-release for the PS4, I definitely don't feel bad about exploiting that. And I definitely didn't rob myself of a sense of accomplishment here. Accomplishment of what, spending more time on a game I hated? That's not an accomplishment. Accomplishment of beating a hard game? I've beaten harder games than this without exploits, I sure as shit don't need to prove anything to myself and considering we're talking about something as inconsequential as video games, my opinion is the only one that matters to me.

I'm also reminded of a glitch I used waaaay back at the start of my achievement hunting days, back when trophies didn't exist and I don't even think the PS3 was out yet. On Dead Rising for 360, there's two achievements: one for being outside for 24 in-game hours, and one for inside for 24 in-game hours. The descriptions sound like they should have been cumulative (and thus freebies), but from what I remember, they weren't and you had to stand inside or outside for 2 real life hours to get them. And then there was some glitch you could do where you did one legit (as legit as idling for 2 hours can be) and then unlocked the other one right after without having to idle for another 2 hours. So, oh no, I only idled for 2 hours instead of 4? Oh man, my poor destroyed sense of accomplishment :rolleyes:

So yeah, really depends on the game, what the glitch is, and what I have to do to earn it legit that leads me to my decision. Because at the end of the day, it's just a profile full of little PNG tiles. I'm not going to hate myself or lose sleep or feel like my entire profile is invalid or whatever over it. Oh, and I definitely don't care if I did something legit and and somebody found a glitch after and used it. It's not a contest, there's no reward, and other people doing something easier doesn't take away from my own accomplishment, as small as it may be because we're still talking about video games.

Oh yeah, I have an issue with anything that fucks things over for other players. The two that come to mind are people that skip days in The Last of Us (sucks when you go a teammate down instantly in Survivors) or those that are rubber banding in Rocket League (again, sucks having someone waste a valuable space).

Neither of those are glitches, and thus neither of those are really relevant here. Those instances are indicative of a different problem: developers putting in shit multiplayer based trophies to try and artificially increase the player base. It never works and it just makes things bad for everyone, and it'd be great if they stopped doing it already. I'd go into more detail but I don't want to derail this thread as again, it's got nothing to do with glitches.

Depends on the game.

If it's a trophy that takes long time of boring farming then i'll use glitches no problem. However if it's a difficult trophy that requires skill, most of the time i'll not use glitches until i try it for some hours.

Say i tried it and found it fun and requires "real" skill, for example no cheap deaths, doesn't require you to memorize so many things, .. etc, then i'll not use glitches.

I did used the glitch that gives you infinite precursor orbs in Jak 2 & 3 although it requires some skill only because i did get all of them on PS2 so i know i can get them all .. no need to get them again.

I'm going to play FF Type 0 next and in the platinum difficulty thread they say that using the glitch to power up your characters' levels won't lower the difficulty by too much, only from 4 to 3 but'll save you some time so i'm going to use it.

Uncharted collection remasters, i'm going to try Brutal difficulty for some time cause the loading times aren't that long and the checkpoints aren't far from each other .. if it'll cause me some rage i'll use the glitch, given that it'll not make the game too easy. At the end i bought the game to actually play it not just get its trophies and move on, that's a childish way of thinking.

I'm not going to vote cause I am not entirely sure this is limited to a single option.

If the game allows you to activate a cheat, say like Uncharted 4 where the cheat is unlocked and you can turn it on/off, then yes.

If there is some kind of time related trophy, like in Arkham City, then I will change the clock to speed things up.

But I will not use other peoples save files, or deliberately use an exploit otherwise.

The way I look it it, if the game lets you do something, either by option or in multiplayer boosting, it is legitimate. A bug is a mistake and people who use these exploits in multiplayer really suck.

But that's just my take.

I didn't do it because I loved that game and wanted the challenge and had a blast going for it.

Then there's God of War 3 Remastered, where you can skip most of the game on Hard and still get the trophy, and you bet your ass I used that glitch. Accomplishment of what, spending more time on a game I hated?

That's my stance on the TNO situation, I absolutely love the challenge and the Trophy at the end is just my own proof that I succeeded at the task. Similar to how back in the day me, friends and other school kids would brag and discuss what games we clocked on what difficulty and our own made up challenges, like no save runs in Resident Evil. At least now, we have the proof, PNG or otherwise, gaming has been and always will be a massive part of my life, and this is essentially a log or diary of my accomplishments in my games.

Side note though; why did you play Gow 3 if you hated it? Just curious, I never play games I don't like, as that's also a waste of time if you're not enjoying yourself, it's why I only but games I know I'll like or play them on a tester account first in case I don't :p

PS: One Trophy I will never go for is Emperor in ESO. I knew about it before buying it but didn't really care about missing that one Trophy, as it requires about 6 hours of constant gameplay in PVP, and some help to back you up really from what I read, and to me, that's not worth the time or effort, as I hate ESO PVP haha, but if it were glitched one day, I couldn't see myself exploiting it, it would feel wrong to me for those who put the time and effort in to get that crazy goal, but that's just my opinion hehe

Anything to get me through a game quicker...

but with that said...I can only remember using glitches a few times. The superhuman glitch on the campaign in Resistance 2 (sounds like the same as the W:TNO glitch)...credit glitches on Dead Space and a bolt glitch on the first Ratchet and Clank (I think it was). Oh and Mafia II DLC.

So it appears that I haven't used glitches too much but would not be opposed to using them especially in time saving instances. I got too many games on my backlog to be messing around with collecting bolts or driving an assload of miles to get a trophy that has nothing to do with the story of the game. So any busywork trophies I absolutely have no problems glitching past...

Anything to get me through a game quicker...

To a certain extent, I can appreciate this... but really, why be a 'trophy hunter' if this is your mindset? Seems to go against the spirit of the game, the trophy system, and I guess gaming in general really. :think:

EDIT: Even in time-saving instances... like skill-less, tedious collectible grinding... you could always just, not get that platinum? :shrugs:

Edited by Dreakon13

To a certain extent, I can appreciate this... but really, why be a 'trophy hunter' if this is your mindset? Seems to go against the spirit of the game, the trophy system, and I guess gaming in general really. :think:

EDIT: Even in time-saving instances... like skill-less, tedious collectible grinding... you could always just, not get that platinum? :shrugs:

I actually don't know how to respond. Don't all trophy hunters want platinums? Are they satisfied with another half dozen bronzes in place of a platinum?

And I don't think that we'll ever agree on this...you'd be that guy that rags on folks that use a newly discovered time saving glitch while I would be applauding the OP for figuring it out.

This reminds me of Lisa Simpson writing on the chalk board as punishment for the first time. Nelson comes by and sees her doing it one line at a time and tells her if she grabs the chalk holder for making musical lines, she can get it done 5 times as fast.

She chose the slower, stupider, harder route because it was more honest and proper (at first at least, due to pride, she eventually changed her mind) and never once realized she was only told to fill the board, not how.

If the teacher didn't want her to be able to go 5 lines at a time, he should have walked out with the chalk holder and removed the option.

So go nuts folks and play how you want to with the tools at your disposal. Your trophies get you no where and almost nobody who has moved out of home (and many who still haven't) gives a shit what you did and didn't do with your free time hobby.

I did used the glitch that gives you infinite precursor orbs in Jak 2 & 3 although it requires some skill only because i did get all of them on PS2 so i know i can get them all .. no need to get them again.

At the end i bought the game to actually play it not just get its trophies and move on, that's a childish way of thinking.

I think you may have found the only way I'd ever personally deem it acceptable for myself to glitch a Trophy to save time right there. If I played the game in the PS1/PS2 era, and did the task the Trophy requires, I could see myself having no problem, as you stated, if it's been done before and all :applause:

I also agree about the last part. I only buy games I like the look of and will enjoy, I only look at the Trophies once I own it, just to check for any missable ones, and that's about it. The Trophies for me, extend the life of the games I love as they do for many others :D