How did you decide which next gen console to get?

when taking the next step at a new console (between the PS4 and the XboxOne), how tough it is making a decision on which of the two you want to get?

(oh and before I write any further, I want this to be an open-minded thread and leave the "fanboys" aside)

Before buying a new console, what do you look for that will make you want that over the other in terms of;

Games (especially exclusive titles for one system alone)

graphics

performance

add-on features

hardware tech facts

motion controls

and future pheripherals

Is there anybody that had a PS3 but wanted to go with Microsoft and bought the XboxOne or vice versa - you had Xbox360 and now you want a PS4?

in my case I have a PS3 and if I want a new console, the following things I'd look for is; the games and exclusive ones they have for that console, Add-on features, future pheripherals, and console bundles

Edited by IsaacPlaystation321

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The choice to buy a PS3 was soley made on the exclusive titles that it offered. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2 interested me more than Halo and Gears of War. Alan Wake made me hesitate a little though. But getting a PS4 wasn't that hard to decide after getting hooked on the PS3 exclusives ;)

Graphics really didn't play any role in this decision. In my opinion there is not much difference between Sony and Microsoft consoles in this regard.

Plain and simple (but slightly "Fan-boyish"..) i've always had Sony consoles so i've stuck with Sony. In the past i've had Xbox's and they are good but my preference has always been with Sony.

For anything else, i'd just get a PC. A console is a console at the end of the day. Im not really someone who particularly cares about graphics either so.

I went with Xbox One at launch as I really couldn't care less about graphics and I liked their vision of the system. They also had the only launch exclusive I was interested in, Dead Rising 3.

However the following February after launch I bought my PS4 and have gone back and forth on which I use more ever since.

The controllers for me weren't a deciding factor as both have pretty good controllers this time around, just from different standpoints.

On a related side note, I've always picked systems based on which had more games I was interested in and ever since the PS1 PlayStation has always had more games I wanted to play so here I am back on this side.

I got a PS4 at launch because I've had a PS3 since the fall of 2007 and have enjoyed the heck out of the exclusive games on it.

When I bought that PS3 in 2007 - the first console I'd had since the Atari 2600 back in the 1970's - the primary reason was to play Blu-Ray movies. Games were an afterthought.

No, really. It's true.

I've considered getting an Xbox, but Gears of War is the only exclusive that interests me. I can't justify a second console just for one game series.

Well, I grew up playing PS1 and PS2, I later added a Wii to my collection, and a nintendo DS, I played games primarily on PS2 and my Wii, I first got and Xbox 360, had it for about a year, then won my PS3 in a raffle back in 2011, and since then I completely fell in love with PS3, at the time, the fact that I could have free online was great, apart from 360 and having to pay for xbox live. I went through like 4 PSN accounts before I made my "quopi" account in 2012, and after that, I got into trophies, and that's when I became very much in love with the playstation, I love all the exclusives, Sly Cooper was my childhood. And just went on from there, I love Playstation, and when the PS4 came out, I got it on Day 1 and went on since.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy, but I guess you could say I am a bit of a Playstation "fanboy", i don't rag on any other consoles though, totally respect all consoles, but I mostly go for playstation because it's what I primarily played growing up,

I did have the original xbox and played star wars battlefront 2 a ton on it.

My son had and xbox360. He switched to PS3. He decided on his own to be done with x. We have never looked back. Xbone is not doing near as well. Friends that work at game stores tell me it all about the 4.

I'm still all about the 3. I cannot believe how cheap the games are. I will not fully convert to next ten until trophy support is stopped or I'm dead.

My son had and xbox360. He switched to PS3. He decided on his own to be done with x. We have never looked back. Xbone is not doing near as well. Friends that work at game stores tell me it all about the 4.

I'm still all about the 3. I cannot believe how cheap the games are. I will not fully convert to next ten until trophy support is stopped or I'm dead.

Yeah bro, at under 300 games played, you've hardly scratched the surface! ;P

Hmm maybe I should buy a PS3 again to clean up some of my backlog and maybe add some more games to it. Never thought about the fact that PS3 games would drop in price now that the 4 is out. Could get me some cheap, fun platinums!

Back on topic though, I just think the PS4 looks better than the X One. In every way. Also I like the exclusives on playstation more and I just can't get used to the Xbox controller. Last but definitely not least, collecting trophies seems way more rewarding than collecting achievements or gamerscore or what do u call it.. The platinum, it's just so shiny! (P)

Games and the controller were the two biggest factors, why I chose PS4.

The lack of games at launch made you buy a PS4 :think:

I've been using Sony products for years, and with the price of the X1 at launch it just wasn't going to cut it. Obviously I bought a PS4.

I got an X1 for under £300 on black Friday though. Now with backwards compatibility my library is slightly growing :o

Edited by Combatting

I've owned each PlayStation, although I did own the first Xbox, but the reason why I got that is the reason why I'm committed to Sony consoles now: exclusives. There is nothing on the Xbone that interests me enough to justify the purchase so I don't bother. It would have to be Oddworld (the reason why I got the first Xbox) or Half-Life 3 to make me get a Microsoft console.

Sony's attitudes towards indies also meant that New N Tasty was released on PS4 a year or so before Xbone, another reason why I purchased my PS4 when I did.

for me, i hadn't gamed in the bes part of 3 years and i wanted project cars. never had even crossed my mind to get a xbo, i have always been a playstation guy. i also liked the fact that:

-conroller felt incredible. really fits my hand perfectly, i was shocked at how much nicer it was than the ps3 one when my bro let me feel his controller.

- better graphics. 900p xbo just doesn't cut it, especially when we are already more than on the brink of 4k

-maturity - just seems in general playstaiton owners are more mature than xbo players (allbeit, the ps4 still has some mighty childish adults).

exclusives - uncharted is my favorite gaming series of all time, no way would i miss out on 4.

party - really the only thing xbox ever had over playstation in my opinion. with the ps4 having it, that really ruled out xbo.

to be fair though, i do mildly envy xbo for having forza 6 , as i love racing games.

the fact that online gameplay and multiplayer can only be played if you suscribe and pay (PS+ Sony, or Xbox Live) is what's holding me back to get a new console. In the past online gameplay was free in use, but now you have to pay to play. Why I have a problem with this? because you have to pay for the console, pay for a few games to get, and then suscribe with one year payment to play online - that's just too much $$$$$$. I mean is there any way to have "more bang to your buck"? (anyone heard this phrase before?). To buy a new system takes quite the kind of commitment. you want to be sure you are getting the right thing. Take this for example; When the PS Vita was out and retail games we're being sold. I wanted to buy myself a portable handheld console. It was this or the Nintendo 3DS. Little did I know that PS Vita wasn't doing so well and had been discontinued. I wanted to buy new games but none of the stores here where I live still sells Vita games. But the 3DS games - they do. So there I made a big mistake going with the Vita over the 3DS. Now, while I try to get through this debate over to get PS4 and XboxOne, I think of wanting to buy something least expensive get the 3DS