HD games/ Re releases

BRADDLZZ

What are all of your thoughts on the current trend that seems to be re releasing old games as a HD release or collection

Love them, hate them, waiting for any in particular? I'd love to hear it

Personally, I'm hit and miss, back in ps3 days I loved re playing god of war, ratchet and clank, sly Cooper and Jak and daxter

I waited years for final fantasy X hd and kingdom hearts hd

None of these disappointed at all due to how amazing these games truly were

I'm currently playing dark cloud and San Andreas on my ps4 (just finished gta 3 and vice city - have dark chronical waiting)

However I think I'm only interested in Ps2 releases

Darksiders 2, uncharted collection and dishonoured are all games I absolutely loved - however I'm not re buying them for ps4 because we'll - I played the absolute shit out of them (platinuming dishonoured and all uncharted games)

I did however re buy, replay and absolute re love dark souls 2 (scholar of the first sin)

So yeah, how do you all feel about them - is there a HD port you'd love to see, or an old one you would love to see fully re made (I'd love crash team racing)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only bought a tiny handful because they were games I absolutely loved when I was younger but the others I really don't care for and would rather that the time and money was spent on giving us new games instead of rehashing the old ones. On the PS3 they were a nice gimmick but on the PS4 they have gone completely overboard and frankly I'm sick of them now.

Despite only having an interest in wanting to play San Andreas again for the first time in years, I bought the GTA trilogy off the store because hey.. sale, may as well bag all 3 games.

Looking back now, I should have just bought the standalone.. but even now that is with doubts. Played 20 minutes of Vice City, lost interest. Not even touched GTA III and doubt I ever will. As for San Andreas, as fun as it was starting it up and reliving some of my younger memories of the game.. it just doesn't compare. You can't get any more authentic than playing a PS2 game.. on a PS2.

For me, personally.. as fun as those games were 'back in the day', those times have passed now. Digging these games back up and re-releasing them onto our present day gaming systems just feels shoddy and well.. fake. I took the bait and now honestly regret it. The reality check was more the fact that if I knew I'd end up playing the same games I did 10 years ago.. then I would probably have just called it a day then and there with gaming and found a new interest.

PS1 -> PS3/4 = :dance:

PS2 -> PS3/4 = :dance:

PSP -> PS3/4 = :dance:

Vita -> PS3/4 = :cool:

PS3 -> PS4 = :sick:

PS3 to PS4 I'll only get if I enjoyed the game enough such as Uncharted and The Last of Us. Most, I feel, shouldn't exist. Exclusives I understand a lot more. There are others that work no differently than a GOTY edition. So many other games should've been left to die the previous gen.

Every other form of remaster/rerelease I'm perfectly fine with. Embrace them in some cases. Would love to see more PSP games like Crisis Core, Resistance, Daxter and LBP. Those were great!

Edited by mcolwander90

For me it depends on the game. If it's something that was released several years ago and they made improvements to it, that's fine, but with the Xbox One and PS4, there have been a lot of games that really did not need a re-release. Games that only came out a couple years ago without anything really added to it should not be remastered.

Games that only came out a couple years ago without anything really added to it should not be remastered.

Normally I would agree, but I can see why it's being done for some of them. The Uncharted Collection for example is definitely intended for the new crowd of Playstation users who made the jump from Xbox 360 to PS4 and missed out on the series because they didn't own a PS3.

Now an example of a game that definitely didn't need a rerelease or a remaster is that mediocre 2011 Deadpool game. Activision quietly rereleased that shit on Xbox One and PS4 around the time the movie came out, probably to fool people who didn't know any better into thinking the game and the movie are related.

for me too, it depends. I bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5, Kingdom Hearts 2.5, Final Fantasy X/X2 (bought it twice even for ps3 and ps4......don't judge me), rebought The last of us (because it's one of my fav games), uncharted collection (it was on sale, and my uncharted 2 disc has a really annoying glitch on it making the sound lag), and I also have the mgs collection (still going to play it), Zone of the Enders collection (one of my favs on ps2). I bought FF7 for ps4 (and consider this the best version of the original game I'll ever play).

the reason why I purchased these games again is simple, because I liked those games, and the actual hd upscaling looked good (seriously, Kingdom Hearts and final fantasy x/x2 look freaking amazing, and also had some work done on the music and all that).

so, if Final Fantasy XII were ever to get a hd upscaling for ps4, I'd buy it, full price. it's also the only FF game I can't play anymore, since my ps3 isn't backwards compatible, and ps4 isn't either.

I'm a hypocrite on this subject, to be quite honest. I'm not at all a fan of the trend, but I've bought some of the remasters for various reasons.

• Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - Borderlands is one of my all time favorite series, and considering it's probably the only series I still played AFTER getting the Plat/100% I figured getting the PS4 versions would have been a better idea...I want to play them, now I have the remastered versions of them...plus the double plats are always nice.

• Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - Kinda the same as above. I'm adore the series. It was my favorite series on the PS3, but I never platted them because I lost my saves a while back and couldn't be bothered starting over...at least with these I can just start on Crushing.

• Metro: Redux - Metro: Last Light was a :ps+: freebie a while back, but I never got around to it and it was always in the backlog...so I figured I'd just push the PS3 version aside in favor of the PS4 version and get to play Metro: 2033 in the process (since it's not on the PS3).

• Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - Total impulse buy. It was on sale a few weeks back for cheap, and I got it because I enjoyed the PS3 version and just figured I'd go for the double Plat.

• The Last of Us: Remastered - Came with my PS4. I bought the PS4 for the great price I got it for...the game I didn't really want but it was a bonus.

Other than those the only other remaster I actually plan on buying is the Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls Collection when it lowers in price. And that's only because I always meant to play them on PS3 and never got around to it.

My whole thing is, remastering PS3 games just feels like a slap in the face to the consumer who spent the money on the PS3 version in the first place. It's just pointless. When PS2 games were coming to the PS3 it made sense...they were getting trophy support and HD resolution upgrades. PS3 games on PS4 are just getting 1080p support and every so often 60FPS.

PS2 to PS4 is a little different though. Those are really going the extra mile. 1080p/60FPS with Trophy support for games that never made it to PS3...those are completely fine and justified. However, they're Emulation, not Remasters, so it isn't the same thing.

Edited by TheViper4Life

I love the trend to be honest. Although it's a bit of a sad indictment of modern gaming that I get excited more for decade-old games than new ones these days, I don't mind. Like when I saw Bully got a surprise re-release the other day, I got more excited than I have in a long time about a 'new' game...since Vice City and FF7 were released with trophies I think :o

I love the trend to be honest. Although it's a bit of a sad indictment of modern gaming that I get excited more for decade-old games than new ones these days, I don't mind. Like when I saw Bully got a surprise re-release the other day, I got more excited than I have in a long time about a 'new' game...since Vice City and FF7 were released with trophies I think :o
I feel like PS2 to PS4 isn't the same thing here, as it's Emulation rather than Remastering. Because other than upscaled resolution and framerate...nothing else about the PS2 games are changed, not even updating the controls.

Not sure how people can say they aren't excited to play anything coming out soon though. I have a huge wish list of games I can't wait to get my hands on. While the PS2 games are nice to play...they definitely don't excite me more than some of the games coming soon do.

I feel like PS2 to PS4 isn't the same thing here, as it's Emulation rather than Remastering. Because other than upscaled resolution and framerate...nothing else about the PS2 games are changed, not even updating the controls.

Yea my opinion too.

For me if it's just for the trophies, emulated ps2 games are not worth buying especially when they have raised their prices by 5$ for my country. Though i think they're gonna remaster them on ps5, but for now they might think people would buy them for the nostalgia.

Btw did anyone noticed that they announced certain games to be remastered and then all we got was emulated versions ? They also announced Dark Cloud 2 and a month later they released Dark Cloud 1 .. nice tricks, Sony.

Not sure how people can say they aren't excited to play anything coming out soon though. I have a huge wish list of games I can't wait to get my hands on. While the PS2 games are nice to play...they definitely don't excite me more than some of the games coming soon do.

For me, only a few games come to mind: Uncharted and the new South Park game (which went dark). I was looking forward to Mighty No 9, now not so much.

None of these are remakes.

But it's been my experience that new titles on the PS4 are not that special.

It's been a copy and paste of my experience with PS3, just with a less burdensome operating system.

I think people would be less annoyed by the remakes and ports on PS4 if they had some truly unique, defining games that really shown why you need a PS4 and not a PS3. Depending on your genre, this hasn't happened yet.

This is, of course, a player by player opinion and is different for everyone.

Edited by shrapx

I love it because I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

This. Now that I think about it, out of the few ones I've bought, around 80% are games I had already played when I was a kid. Which I liked a lot, of course. The other 20% are games I never got to play (I was a proud GameCube kid, no PS2 for me :p) but I wanted to, and I've thoroughly enjoyed most of them years later, thanks to HD re-releases.

So yeah, I'm all for this trend. If I don't want a particular HD re-release for whatever reason (too soon/badly done/don't really like the game), I simply won't support it by not buying it.

Now they have started remastering the remasters.

I saw that Resident Evil 4, 5 & 6 are getting a remaster on ps4. RE4 and CVX had already been remastered (or was it just the original unedited version with trophies?) on ps3. It doens't matter, RE4 was rereleased and is now getting rerereleased.

So we had ps1 and ps2 games on ps3. Now we have ps1, ps2 and ps3 games on ps4. Will we play ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 games on the ps5. Will people play all the games of every one of the previous generations whenever we are in a new generation? How about more good-quality new games for the current generation?!

I am fine with remastering old games from PS2 and earlier or games that were exclusive to systems outside of the PS ecosystem (REmake, RE0). I like the added trophy support and the opportunity to play games that I may have missed from times past. I wasn't much of a console gamer before 2011 or so. I've owned all of the Playstation systems, but never really played more than a few games here and there that I couldn't get on my PC. Not having to hunt around for these games in bargain bins or on Ebay to experience them is nice.

However, I'm not okay with the trend of porting PS3 games to PS4 unless the PS3 game didn't have trophy support or there was a significant effort to add more value to the remastered version like Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. With advances in streaming and emulation technology, there is no reason that Sony could not develop an infrastructure such that we can carry our PS3/PS4 games into future generations without having to buy them again. The problem is they won't do it so long as a significant portion of the gaming community is buying them hand over fist without a second thought.

Now they have started remastering the remasters.

I saw that Resident Evil 4, 5 & 6 are getting a remaster on ps4. RE4 and CVX had already been remastered (or was it just the original unedited version with trophies?) on ps3. It doens't matter, RE4 was rereleased and is now getting rerereleased.

So we had ps1 and ps2 games on ps3. Now we have ps1, ps2 and ps3 games on ps4. Will we play ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 games on the ps5. Will people play all the games of every one of the previous generations whenever we are in a new generation? How about more good-quality new games for the current generation?!

I see this as a potential trend as well. If people keep buying the same games over and over for another trophy list or because they want to get rid of their old systems each new generation then we're going to have a problem. If game developers and publishers can make money by recreating the old then the incentive to create new experiences is greatly diminished. I think we're already seeing this play out with companies like Capcom, in particular. If their business could not be sustained by rereleasing old content then I bet we'd see a lot more innovation out of them.

There is always the argument of "don't like it, don't buy it", but it only applies at an individual level. If the majority of the gaming community as a whole is supporting this practice then the games we get are increasingly going to be remasters and rereleases. This practice was almost completely unheard of not but 5 years ago. Just look how far the trend has gone since then.

Edited by Elegy

well there ain't shit else to play lol. I'm extremely happy for all the Resident Evil HD remakes and remasters. Other than the RE's the only other one I really want and or care about is FF7. Eventually I will replay the Uncharted series just cuz it was so good. However I think developers are focusing too much on remaking their old games and not really coming up with new games. Where is Borderlands 3? God of War 4? NFSU 3? Kingdom hearts 3? Resistance Fall of Man 4? Burnout Paradise 2? Rainbow 6 Vegas 3? I can keep going haha

There is always the argument of "don't like it, don't buy it", but it only applies at an individual level. If the majority of the gaming community as a whole is supporting this practice then the games we get are increasingly going to be remasters and rereleases.

If the majority of the gaming community as a whole is supporting this practice, then maybe it isn't a problem? Maybe people like it? And if it starts actually becoming a problem, maybe the majority of the gaming community as a whole will stop supporting it? I think the "don't like it, don't buy it" argument is more effective than some people want to let on... it's just the process of the market correcting itself is usually too slow for people who staunchly hate something and want it fixed now. So they often take to spamming forums, sending death threats, etc.

Edited by Dreakon13

For me, only a few games come to mind: Uncharted and the new South Park game (which went dark). I was looking forward to Mighty No 9, now not so much.

None of these are remakes.

But it's been my experience that new titles on the PS4 are not that special.

It's been a copy and paste of my experience with PS3, just with a less burdensome operating system.

I think people would be less annoyed by the remakes and ports on PS4 if they had some truly unique, defining games that really shown why you need a PS4 and not a PS3. Depending on your genre, this hasn't happened yet.

This is, of course, a player by player opinion and is different for everyone.

While I do agree that we haven't had that defining game that makes you sit back and say "damn, there's no way that could have existed on the PS3", I'm still extremely excited for games such as:

Uncharted 4

No Man's Sky (I honestly think this will be that defining game)

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Mass Effect: Andromeda

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4 version)

Detroit: Become Human

Telltale's Batman

The Walking Dead: Season 3

Assassin's Creed 2017

All games I'm foaming at the mouth to play eventually. For me, this gen still has something exciting to offer, so I just always find it weird when someone can't say there's not a major game on that list they aren't excited for.