Moving to the USA

AmbaLaBamba

After finishing my degree and gaining some experience in the profession I wish to work in, I'm considering moving to the US to work and eventually live (naturalization).

Not many people I know have moved to another country: one has gone to the US on a temp visa doing sports coaching and is living with families and my cousin in is Australia but moved when he was younger. Has anyone here moved from the UK (or any other country) to the US?

I guess I want to know more about the US lifestyle, cost of living etc. I have visited only once and that visit was to New York, fell in love the first day and as cliché as it sounds it would be a place I'd love to live in. I'm open to other states however.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After finishing my degree and gaining some experience in the profession I wish to work in, I'm considering moving to the US to work and eventually live (naturalization).

Not many people I know have moved to another country: one has gone to the US on a temp visa doing sports coaching and is living with families and my cousin in is Australia but moved when he was younger. Has anyone here moved from the UK (or any other country) to the US?

I guess I want to know more about the US lifestyle, cost of living etc. I have visited only once and that visit was to New York, fell in love the first day and as cliché as it sounds it would be a place I'd love to live in. I'm open to other states however.

You'd really need to give more info for the best answers. Like where would you want to live, what profession are you in, do you prefer certain weather, how high is too high for your desired cost of living? 'murica is huge and there really are two separate Americas within the US. I'm sure we have something that will fit you.

Honestly I've been looking at jobs in New York City, fell in love with the place when I visited some years ago. Jobs wise I'm doing a degree in Digital Media and Marketing, that type of thing. I'm sure I've seen wages in the $60,000 rage per year or more dependant on skill and years in the profession etc.

A couple of things spring to mind :p

They make half as much as us in the UK, but things are half the price, so it evens out.

A lot of the stuff they advertise is the price without tax, and you have to add the tax on after. The amount of tax varies between states.

You have to fill out your own tax returns, or hire an accoutant to do it for you.

You have to be 21 to drink alcohol, not 18.

Sometimes you get a big hurricane hit the east coast :scared:

There's only two main politcal parties if you vote

There seems to be limited internet in certain areas, and then there may only be one or two companies in the area.

They have right hand drive and drive on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:

I wouldn't come here, I'd stay in England.

lulz, fantastic advice.... Anyway Google has all the answers you even need. Just an FYI on NYC the cost of living is beyond ridiculous so you would have to live somewhere outside the city and commute which would be a pain and expensive to boot. You should research where the best jobs are available in your field then decide which climate you want to be in then you will know what to do

A couple of things spring to mind :p

They make half as much as us in the UK, but things are half the price, so it evens out.

A lot of the stuff they advertise is the price without tax, and you have to add the tax on after. The amount of tax varies between states.

You have to fill out your own tax returns, or hire an accoutant to do it for you.

You have to be 21 to drink alcohol, not 18.

Sometimes you get a big hurricane hit the east coast :scared:

There's only two main politcal parties if you vote

There seems to be limited internet in certain areas, and then there may only be one or two companies in the area.

Also, watch out for the gun hungry cops. They shoot first then ask questions later :p!

If you live in the Midwest part of the US, you can make good money and the cost of living is excellent. We live like I never dreamed. We would not live as well if we were in NYC, LA, etc because the cost of living is so much higher. Come join the party in KC!

I'd love to visit England. Are you really sure you want to move?

If you live in the Midwest part of the US, you can make good money and the cost of living is excellent. We live like I never dreamed. We would not live as well if we were in NYC, LA, etc because the cost of living is so much higher. Come join the party in KC!

I'd love to visit England. Are you really sure you want to move?

Very sure. I've wanted to move for a while and there really isn't much here for many. Don't have many close friends at all so apart from really close family (parents and one set of grandparents) I don't have much to stay here for.

I was considering Aus like my cousin but I don't think I could hack that weather and the bugs and creepy crawlies everywhere. Hmmm.. :think:

Am I going to continue to troll, says the biggest troll on the entire site, who everybody knows is a troll?

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/5201210-post28.html

You don't get it, that was perfectly relevant to the discussion. He took several parts out of context nice try, also none of that changes the fact that you are trolling and continue to troll this thread. You want to continue this nonsense take off the board...

Side note you don't like your country get the fuck out and see how good you actually have it....

Edited by dz06lt

Side note you don't like your country get the fuck out and see how good you actually have it....

I'm pretty sure almost everyone in Europe, the UK, Canada, parts of Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and plenty more all have it as good as we do.

There's a huge misconception that America is some fairy-tale dreamland where everyone has amazing a life, and it's not true. And if someone in England wants to move here, even if they do know a ton of info and know it's not actually what the TV makes it out to be, I'd still tell him to rethink it because his homeland might still be better for him in the long run.

I'm from Atlanta, there is nothing here I like apart from the big music scene we have here. The place is a shit hole, almost no one has money, the crime rate is sky high, and I could keep going. Maybe if I was from the mid-west or somewhere else in America, I would feel differently, but I'm not. And because of that, I'd tell someone to heavily think about moving here and especially moving into a big city.

I'm pretty sure almost everyone in Europe, the UK, Canada, parts of Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and plenty more all have it as good as we do.

There's a huge misconception that America is some fairy-tale dreamland where everyone has amazing a life, and it's not true. And if someone in England wants to move here, even if they do know a ton of info and know it's not actually what the TV makes it out to be, I'd still tell him to rethink it because his homeland might still be better for him in the long run.

I'm from Atlanta, there is nothing here I like apart from the big music scene we have here. The place is a shit hole, almost no one has money, the crime rate is sky high, and I could keep going. Maybe if I was from the mid-west or somewhere else in America, I would feel differently, but I'm not. And because of that, I'd tell someone to heavily think about moving here and especially moving into a big city.

Now that is much more constructive, but that's just your opinion. My advice is the same you don't like it where you live get out and move. That's the beauty of living here you can go wherever you want. Id say based on your comments you've never been or barely been outside the USA and possibly don't read the news. Look how bad things are right now in Greece and Russia just to name a few, Try comparing personal rights, tax rates crime rates(just because its and issue where live doesn't mean it its the same elsewhere in the US) crime rates in many other countries are quite a bit higher and more dangerous than anywhere in the US. Perhaps the better comment to make would have been to NOT COME TO Atlanta, followed by your reasoning...

Edited by dz06lt

Very sure. I've wanted to move for a while and there really isn't much here for many. Don't have many close friends at all so apart from really close family (parents and one set of grandparents) I don't have much to stay here for.

I was considering Aus like my cousin but I don't think I could hack that weather and the bugs and creepy crawlies everywhere. Hmmm.. :think:

You mentioned Aus and the climate. Be sure to find a place where you enjoy the weather in addition to quality of life. The quality and affordability is something that can be vastly different in parts of the U.S. Continue to research job availability that suits your interests as well. A career that you enjoy is a must. I love it where we live. I was born in another state that was plagued with low income jobs and the quality was life was not desirable. What other questions do you have?

Edited by kfree7

Also, watch out for the gun hungry cops. They shoot first then ask questions later :p!

Fact. The police are way more aggressive in the US than the UK. Not saying that you intend on dealing with the cops a lot but even a routine traffic stop can lead into a full on cavity search.

Not quite sure about the cost of living compared to the UK but the economy in America is pretty screwed up right now. It's been headed in the right direction but it always seems to take a step back every time it looks up.

My dream is to live in the big cities.

I was born in Miami and grew up there till seven-ish then moved to fort lauderdale. I got to visit south America Chile, live in Monterey CA on the beach having a bartending job to a really nice place.

The last two years of travels has been a experience. I now am trying to move to Tampa beach FL.

I want to visit Canada and live in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Visit the Bronx and harlem and Jersey.

So much fun. Every where I go I look for video games.:whistle:

I just need a significant other to share my interests and the experiences of traveling and life would be great.

Edited by spartan267

Whatever you do if you move to the US, don't move to California. The state's still a shithole due to the economy.

Except the state economy is doing great, in fact it's #1 in the entire country :rolleyes:. It was left a shithole by the governator but has nearly recovered since he was terminated.

That's funny because many of us Americans think YOU guys are driving on the wrong side of the road! :D

I guess I want to know more about the US lifestyle, cost of living etc.
The cost of living varies greatly from state to state. Some states' economies are in the crapper, some are doing well. As already said, NYC is expensive. You'll need a GREAT job to afford it. California is also an expensive place in many cities there. As also said, you need to really research America.

Try looking up info regarding the states you like best. Maybe make up a top five list of states. Remember, we have 50 of them!

America's weather changes drastically from one state to the next. California is drought and potential for earthquakes, but mostly beautiful weather, beaches, and so much to see and do. Arizona and Nevada are blazing hot in the summer, but have mild winters. The northern states drop below freezing in the winter, but are picturesque. The Midwest you have tornados and lots of beautiful countryside. Yeah...I could rattle on, but you get the point.

Best thing is...people will love your accent! You'll be the most popular person everywhere you go. I may be exaggerating, but nah, they'll love you. :)

Thanks for the information... from some of you :p haha!

I wont be moving for at least another 5 or so years, but there's no harm in trying to get some information early on and to discuss it with people. I need to finish my degree and get some experience in the profession I'm heading into, then I can make the decision.

As I've mentioned before I don't feel as though this country (UK) has much for me, I've considered moving to another part of the country but I feel as though that wouldn't help me much. Maybe that will change as I get older, maybe not, but I'm sure moving to the US will always be in my mind.

Thanks anyway people! :)