what browser do you guys use for this site...

shathe

I like chrome, but the crappy flashwave conflicts lock it up constantly. so I tried going back to annoying IE (lets, for no reason whatsoever, put the back button on one side of the screen and the tiny tiny home and refresh button on the other side), but it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooow and just locks up for a few seconds on about an hourly basis.

i'll leave open a few tabs while i'm playing a game so I can check trophy info, see vids. but chrome really does not like this site (not 100% sure, but I think too many ads and embedded videos kill it).

anyone else have this problem? or is it just my own personal computer hell?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use chrome for most of my browsing. I've never had any problems with it on this site.

aaaand i just got the other reason i hate ie... the old, yet somehow always exciting and new, "This page can’t be displayed" message, which also appears regularly.

what os do you use? unfortunately i have windows 8 (barfs uncontrollably for five minutes...)

i'll leave open a few tabs while i'm playing a game so I can check trophy info, see vids. but chrome really does not like this site (not 100% sure, but I think too many ads and embedded videos kill it).

anyone else have this problem? or is it just my own personal computer hell?

Probably just your computer.

Install Ad-Block on Chrome.

If that doesn't help, do a virus and malware scan. Clean out your temporary files. I recommend using a program like CCleaner.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling your OS.

If that doesn't help, fuck it, get a new computer.

Probably just your computer.

Install Ad-Block on Chrome.

If that doesn't help, do a virus and malware scan. Clean out your temporary files. I recommend using a program like CCleaner.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling your OS.

If that doesn't help, fuck it, get a new computer.

-ad-block really slows down browsing on chrome, like every time it blocks something it's going "are you sure you don't want to just look at the ad, maybe buy a few things?"

-i use avg, which has been great for years. (might do a malware scan though...)

-it took me days to figure out how to get windows 8 to act act like a computer os and not a pos tablet phone ap (there is a reason they don't put flight controls in cars), so that might actually be more painful than dealing with freezes...

-it IS a new computer... hence crappy windows 8. and yes, fuck it very much...

I use Firefox plus some sort of adbocker. I have issues with ESPN.com only because their videos give my Adobe Flash issues. That's probably more of a me problem than a Firefox problem. Everything else works good enough for me.

I use Chrome as a back up, but too lazy to make the jump.

I use FireFox 99% of the time because it's the only browser that works with the tools the Guide Team use to load and update Guides. I've also got Chrome and Safari (OS X and iOS versions) for when I need to double check Guides and Supplements for missing images since those don't show up very well in FireFox.

When I'm on site, I have Adblock Edge and No Script set to allow everything so the site gets some ad money :) but offsite I keep them on to preserve my sanity when surfing the net.

I use FireFox 99% of the time because it's the only browser that works with the tools the Guide Team use to load and update Guides. I've also got Chrome and Safari (OS X and iOS versions) for when I need to double check Guides and Supplements for missing images since those don't show up very well in FireFox.

When I'm on site, I have Adblock Edge and No Script set to allow everything so the site gets some ad money :) but offsite I keep them on to preserve my sanity when surfing the net.

i don't mind ads. i understand their necessity to keep the site going. (although those fucking pop-down scroll over ads piss me off to no end! FUCK YOU POLARIS. I'M NOT BUYING A FUCKING SNOW MOBILE!!!! [and fuck you too jeep...] they better get a LOT of fucking money for those...) but i asked specifically on this site because it really seems to be the ONLY site that totally crashes out regularly on chrome, which has serious issues with flash-whatever-the-fuck-it's-called-now... more than a couple tabs open for more than an hour or so and BAM! go to check the guide. frozen, "flash has crashed... again" IE kind of does this as well, just not being able to display pages constantly, not allowing page scrolling, not loading pages, etc. it's gotten to the point where i'm seriously considering just going back to my old pc, which is missing keys and has all the finish peeling off of it...

i wish they would stop "improving" laptop pc's. the best laptop i ever had was my first hp (still have it and it's still running). it was a workhorse, ran xp, had great functions, a great touchpad, a great keyboard, and on and on. i even resoldered the power plug when it came off the motherboard. now, all the laptops have the SAME crappy keyboard, the SAME crappy touchpad, and about the SAME crappy everything else, in a slightly different case. and with guaranteed LESS functionality/flexibility/customization than in an old xp machine... every time they add a new whistle, they take away three bells. and i don't need whistles, i need bells. and i really don't want to buy a crapple. SSDC as far as i'm concerned.

I mostly only use Firefox with Adblock and Noscript. If something isn't working in Firefox I may switch to Chrome. Firefox is a memory hog though so sometimes it gets on my nerves.

I don't allow anything through Adblock though. Advertisements are some of the most insidious creations man has ever come up with for social manipulation. Their only goal is to create insecurities in those that view them by taking advantage of human psychology in order to create perceived needs and wants.

Does Chrome crash on a specific page or ad?

no. just kind of randomly after i have watched maybe two or three videos, or have had pages open for too long. i get the message "flash has crashed ...blah blah blah" flash crashing out in chrome is a very well-documented chrome problem with windows 8 that apparently they will never fix, because... they don't have to? so it's not specifically this site (no probs there) that causes that particular problem. just a chrome thing when using flash, which is heavily used on this site. ie is just completely spastic: not able to display pages regularly, HUGE memory hog (like four times chrome at least), slow slow slow loading, page freezes left and right, cursor freezes (because i assume that ie needs MORE memory to remember whatever the hell it was supposed to have already finished doing 5 minutes ago...), just an all-around crap experience.

i'm really hoping firefox works out ok....

II don't allow anything through Adblock though. Advertisements are some of the most insidious creations man has ever come up with for social manipulation. Their only goal is to create insecurities in those that view them by taking advantage of human psychology in order to create perceived needs and wants.

yeah, i will more likely NOT buy something if i see an annoying or condescending ad. i don't get broadcast tv so when i visit my parents, i'm ready to put my fist through the tv after about five minutes. lol. firefox has a cool feature [not sure what it's called] on it that i just found where (at least on some pages) you can automatically wipe everything but the main content you want read from the page. wow, so different.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi quote button instead of multi-posting.