Is there anything you buy or collect that you feel ashamed of?

Xyrcus

Didn't see a thread like this, so we'll take a different turn.

The point of this thread is to describe the things you buy/collect that you are ashamed of or feel alittle uneasy. Now it dosen't mean that you have to hate these items. It could be that you're embarassed or you dont want anyone to know about them, it could be that you have enough of the item, yet others make you feel bad for buying them still. So lets see where this goes!

I can only think of 2 things for me...I'm a collector of many things. But I'd say ty beanies and alarm clocks are the 2 for me.

Ever since I was little I tried to aquire ty beanies. To this day I still go out and search for them to add to my collection. Sometimes I feel alittle ashamed of getting them bc I feel like "Im a grown ass man buying stuffed animals" and ppl look at me weird when I go up to others to buy them. (usually markets of some kind)

The alarm clock thing is even weirder because an alarm clock is simply....A clock. It tells you the time and wakes you up. Yet I have just a hair over 100 of them. So when I want to buy another one or show off my collection I always get shitted on and ppl say " jeez, another one!?"

It makes me happy to add to my collections, but sometimes I do feel ashamed. Its not necessarily a problem, the point of collecting something is to add on, right? lol. Lets hear your stories! :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any collection items that I would be ashamed of, but I'm getting into the mindset where I don't want to buy CDs anymore. I prefer having games in physical form, but not music, aside from a few bands; soundtracks I would prefer to have in physical form.

Other than that, I'm getting more into collecting anime or game character figures. I already got one from Christmas, and once I save up some more money, I'll buy some more. I've got a list on what I want, and they're pretty expensive, but it'll be worth it.

Lego. Not only do I love the games I already own about £1000 worth of Lego Star Wars box sets which I bought several years ago.

Since the Lego Movie came out I like the idea of creating a huge lego city on a huge tabletop, although I don't have the space available to do this unless I win the lottery or something so the Lego City sets I'm buying now will just gather dust for the time being.

Edit: I should be ashamed, I'm 36! I do have a son who is nearly 3 however so it's a good excuse to be a big fucking kid for a little while longer!

Edited by Respectable Inn
Forgot to answer OPs question

I have quite a few collections of things that I am not necessarily ashamed of, but people think they are weird sometimes.

"Memorabilia"

I have a box in which I keep the most random items that will remind me of a certain person, place, or time etc.

Perfume

I always say that my favorite sense in terms of enjoyment is smelling. A whiff of a brilliant scent can give me a rush of optimism like no other. I am fascinated by perfumes, especially the fruity or citrussy ones. I am a male.

Languages

Whenever I get the chance to without being awkward about it, I ask people if I can record them speaking in a foreign language that they speak. So far, I have languages like Farsi (Iran), Armenian, Russian, Urdu (Pakistan), Japanese, and Vietnamese. My first language is Arabic.

Characters

I take screenshots of movie characters that I liked and ask people their first impressions of the pictures.

Supplements

I have a shelf of bodybuilding supplements that I have mainly used up. When people look at them, they could think that I'm some sort of supplement junky, but the supplements are mainly different brands of (1) vitamins, (2) creatine, and (3) preworkouts (which I have recently quit). I also collect Nuts 'N More spreads because I like their design.

Journal

I log my daily life for myself. I have yet to meet anyone else in college who does it. It's a great way for me to organize my thoughts, reflect, and plan. Reading something I've written years ago is very gratifying and beneficial.

Beats

I'm always looking for the next solid beat to bookmark on YouTube and freestyle rap to. People would never guess from either my appearance or interactions with me that I have any interest in rap.

Edited by Baqsam

Wow some very good and interesting stories to read! I like the one about logging your daily life, very good idea I might have to do that myself. As my thoughts are always scrambles and all over the place.

@Ariost, I would like to but theyre stacked in totes in my closet I really don't think I could get them all in a picture lol.

Collecting anime figures and video games. My figure collection is tiny but there was a time my volume of games gave AVGN a run for his money (actually ended up donating a few games to his collection to save space :p )

I've gotten better as time goes by but there are times I don't share such things with people.

I have quite a few collections of things that I am not necessarily ashamed us, but people think they are weird sometimes.

Perfume

I always say that my favorite sense in terms of enjoyment is smelling. A whiff of a brilliant scent can give me a rush of optimism like no other. I am fascinated by perfumes, especially the fruity or citrussy ones. I am a male.

How very serial killer of you :p

Beats

I'm always looking for the next solid beat to bookmark on YouTube and freestyle rap to. People would never guess from either my appearance or interactions with me that I have any interest in rap.

I used to do this a lot to, adding beats to my "Watch Later" (still have a couple in there) or just downloading them. Haven't written anything in ages though with the exception of a shitty thing a couple weeks ago.

For me, I'd say clothing is my vice in terms of collection. I have a tendency to buy a lot of clothes and never wear half of it because it either ends up being way too big or too small when it arrives, or I immediately regret the decision once I have the physical shirt in my hand.

Aside from that, I guess I'd say song ideas. I have a huge document filled with references and wordplay schemes for rapping, and general song ideas and lyrical chunks for not rap. I kind of have them hidden in some obscure folders on my laptop for the fear of anyone I know somehow finding them. But hopefully in the near future I'll actually do something with my musical ideas. To be honest I think most of them are quite good (not trying to sound like a braggart).

I bought a Beats Studio headphones a couple years back. I bought into the hype because I actually found them cool looking and that was my reason. I should've done some comparison before dropping $200+ on some overhyped piece of shit headphones. It has a nice packaging though. Thanks, Dr. Dre!

As for my personal collection, I don't have anything that I'm ashamed of.

Edited by Mr. Marble

Languages

Whenever I get the chance to without being awkward about it, I ask people if I can record them speaking in a foreign language that they speak. So far, I have languages like Farsi (Iran), Armenian, Russian, Urdu (Pakistan), Japanese, and Vietnamese. My first language is Arabic.

Lol, that's kinda awkward, but amazing at the same time. :p I love hearing foreign languages, but I've never thought about doing this.

I'd personally have to say video game-related content. I like to collect figures, statues, collector's editions of games, etc. I personally don't like mentioning it in public around new people, because I feel like they're just judging me for spending a lot of money on something that doesn't do anything but sit there and take up space.

I'm going the state the obvious and say videogames.

I always feel awkward when a girl sees the set up in the living room in my house for the first time with 190 (+) games stacked on a shelf and both the PS3 and PS4 hooked up.

This.

Most of the time I won't even unwrap the game if I got it free from plus or if I feel like it may hold more value down the road. In that case, I just buy the digital version for a cheap price or a cheap used price.