Why do People still Preorder?

Dr.HelmutMarko

Do you still Preorder Products?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still Preorder Products?

I really struggle to get why people preorder nowadays. I was always led to believe that the principle of it, is to ensure that you get a copy of the item on the day of it's release. Which is fair enough, for the big titles, but it is very rare for something to be sold out nowadays, considering all of the sources of where/how you can buy products. But even for the small things, people tend to feel the need to preorder it. On some occasions they usually end up out of pocket or worse case scenario, buying something which they don't want or may not be able to afford for when that day arrives

A recent example, was the Kevin Pietersen Autobiography Book. A friend preordered it for it's RRP - £20, 2 months before it were release. I have just bought the book on Waterstones for £10, 5 days after it's release.

So why do people preorder? Is it an identity thing? That is the only logical reason which I can think of...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i preorder games since i get games a day earlier usually. And if i want to get a game on release, it'd be cheaper to buy it online than walk to game or similar.

This^

I hate going into my local town, it's crowded and the prices are ridiculous at times so I'd rather save time and money and pre-order.

i rarely pre order games mostly because because i like to wait until the price is lowered and any mistakes are fixed by the company but when i do though it can have some advantages. i buy my gaming products at a small local gaming store where i live. they are the biggest competitor in the game business for the giant media market so it's always a fight between the two about who gets how many of the shipments.

pre ordering sometimes helps when i expect a game to be very popular. it's rare that i pre order though, many games are not worth 60 bucks imo.

I haven't preordered a game in a long time, although I used to do it often. There really is no point. It's easier to find the game online for cheaper, and most of the bonuses you get for preordering are worthless. And like OP said, games rarely seem to sell out. I didn't preorder GTA V and bought it very late on release day at Gamestop.

Voted no myself. I stopped pre-ordering because I found that every title I wanted usually had dozens of copies on the shelves anyway.

Also I found those pre order "bonuses" are a waste of time. Usually they are on a sheet a paper inside the package. Most recent example is Borderlands: The Pre-sequel. I saw avertised that some challenge map was a pre-order bonus. I didn't pre-order and I still got it.

Finally, I've tried to cut down on my day 1 purchases. So usually a game is now less expensive if I wait until I actually have time to play it. For instance, I'm interested in The Evil Within. But I still have to finish Tales of Xillia 2, Infamous: First Light, DLC for Watch Dogs and I picked up Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I do pre-orders because its easier for me to manage what games I want and the money used towards them.

Instead of throwing out $60 + tax all at once. I like to use pre-orders to put maybe $10-20 down every week or two until the game is paid off. I feel comfortable doing it that way. Plus, pre-orders help me keep track of what's coming out and they allow me to plan my budget better because video gaming can be an expensive habit.

However, some of the games that I am interested in (like Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within), I didn;t pre-order because I knew that people would trade them back in. Using a PowerUp Rewards coupon, I snagged the both of them for $80.

Edited by JayPBM

I have twice been unable to find a game I wanted at release or shortly after release (Birds of Steel and Dead Island) so I usually preorder a game that I know I will want. Some of the preorder codes give you stuff that is helpfull in the game. My Preorder for Damage Inc game me 1 of the 2 best planes in the game which helped me Plat the game quickly ( I am listed as #5 on PSN Profiles and #4 on PSN Trophy Leaders). The LEGO games give you little LEGO figures if you preorder. I can't rember which one but awhile back I checked online and found that one of the earlier PS3 LEGO preorder figures was going for $18 online. In the 6 years of my trophy gaming I have only played 56 games so I usually don't want to wait for the price to drop, if I want the game I buy it right when it comes out.

GuapoPogi

I'll only pre-order a game that I want to play straight away, which is very few. In fact, a total of four PS3 retail games and two PS4 retail games (the only PS4 retail games I have actually).

I'll always pre-order from Amazon. I'll get the package on release day and it's the cheapest offer.

Others have pretty much explained why I still pre-order some games.

The primary reason I pre-order is to actually pay for the game while I have the extra cash as I may not have the extra cash when the game releases. This has happened a couple of times usually due to travel or cut in hours at work.

I have received a game a day early a couple of times when I preordered off of Amazon. Sadly, the closest DC closed so that rarely happens now.

And I don't usually pre-order for the bonuses. Most of the have been pretty worthless. I pre-ordered Advanced Warfare because of the Day Zero bonus since I have to miss an entire week once the game releases. I haven't pre-ordered for bonuses since probably 2012.

Voted no myself. I stopped pre-ordering because I found that every title I wanted usually had dozens of copies on the shelves anyway.

Also I found those pre order "bonuses" are a waste of time. Usually they are on a sheet a paper inside the package. Most recent example is Borderlands: The Pre-sequel. I saw avertised that some challenge map was a pre-order bonus. I didn't pre-order and I still got it.

Haha, I was going to post pretty much everything that you said. I will say you summed up my thoughts rather nicely. :)

So I can get a game day one in case they run out. They have run out of games that I wanted on day one before and I hadn't preordered it.

I'm surprised that is still the case nowadays. I've noticed that most retail stores in my area always have plenty of copies of new games when they're released. I guess it can vary depending on your location.

I only preorder something I really want, so that I get it on the day. I rarely get early delivery, like some people mentioned, but preordering means I don't have to waste time and petrol going into town to get it. It'll have arrived by the time I crawl out of bed on release day. Preordering also acts as a reminder to make sure I put aside the money for it; Amazon doesn't take payments until, at most, a day or so before release. (At least in my experience.)

Anything I'm not so eager for as to bother preordering, I'll wait for a price drop and buy when I've got the cash to spare.

I don't go to midnight releases often, but I often pick up my game during the daytime of the day of release so that ensures that the store will have a copy for me. One time they ran out and they gave us some free merch as compensation. Another reason is just for free upgrades that come with preorders if they look appealing.

I only pre-order games that i'm passionate for (e.g. Silent Hill) because they always come with a little gift. For example when I got Silent Hill Downpour 3 days before the release, I got a poster and some kind of artwork cards. I don't think that all the stores do that but I feel lucky that mine does.