Do you believe in "Jinxing" a situation?

Cold Fusion

Hi all,

an odd question, but still, do you believe in jinxing a situation? For some reason, even though I don't believe in anything supernatural, or superstition (like walking under a ladder and such nonsense) or just simply anything that could cause a situation to be jinxed, I usually get so paranoid non the less, that I end up avoid saying anything, or doing anything that might end up jinxing a situation, and I just can't get over it.

It happened to me sometimes.

The most memorable was in NHL 13. I was playing goalie and I was doing a damn fine good job, I hadn't let any goal and made some incredibly hard saves, then a guy sends me a message during the second break. "Wow, you rock. You're the best G in the game!", I lost the game.

The quote that Luke gave is the creed that I've been trying to follow for some time now. If I don't get my hopes up too much, then I can find pleasure in a lot of situations and can enjoy life a lot more. Plus, it's not realistic to think that everything will go your way just because it might.

As for the actual question, I'm not superstitious in any way and if I don't respond to something, it would be me just being shy. But then again, you can never be too cautious.

I do a bit to be honest, the worst or best time depending on your view was when I was playing some golf. I was playing and driving well all day and then on the last hole there was a fountain slighty to the right of the of where we tee off. My older brother was losing and said you better not hit that fountain and wouldn't you know I hit the fountain and went in the water hazard of the tee and ended up losing to him on the final hole :p

So I do think you can jinx someone to an extent.

Even though to be honest it was probably just him putting the though of me hitting the fountain in my head that made me hit it

Edited by mullinavat

Nah, I don't believe in stuff like this, however, I know some people do, like my mom, to this day, she can't hand me the salt, she has to put it in the table, and she does not accept to get it either. This is explained cause, at least in México there is a saying, it is "Estas salado", roughly translated as you are salted, with the salt part means bad luck or jynx.

These situations are kind of like that scientific theory, (forgive me I forget the name.) that once you learn of something, you begin to notice it that much more.

The usual example of this is when you first learn the name of a girl you like, you start hearing that name everywhere. The mind is a powerful thing... So in a way, I guess the jinxing situation is a lot less superstitious than we may think.

Whoa, that post was deep, I think I need to lie down and think about my entire concept of reality... :rofl:

Don't believe in it, but it's simply caused by nervousness. Lets say a kid is learning to ride a bike, and he never can keep his balance, and everytime he tries he says "I can do this" so in that case he would impose that as a jinx. So he gets on his bike and says "I can do this" but then he says "Don't jinx it" Because everytime he says that he fails. That's how I view Jinxs.

I do believe in jinxing. I have done it quite a few times before to myself. I think it comes down for me if I am focused on the task, then dont distract me with something as I wil end up messing up. That's my jinx.

Example be I was having a free throw shooting contest with a co-worker and I was about to win and he goes "you haven't missed the last 10, better not miss the next one or you'll lose" and wham I missed badly.

"Jinxing" is predicting the opposite will happen, then the opposite of /that/ happens, right? Like saying "I'm so important, I'll never get fired from this job!" and then you end up getting fired? Yeah, I believe in that.

There's also a Japanese concept called "kotodama" which basically says there is power and influence in words and it's kind of the opposite of jinxing: if you say it will happen, it will happen just like that. So if you're worried that, say, your girlfriend might be pregnant and you tell a friend "I'm really worried she could be pregnant," by simply saying it, you are increasing the chance that it will happen. I kind of believe in that too, as silly as it may seem.

"Jinxing" is predicting the opposite will happen, then the opposite of /that/ happens, right? Like saying "I'm so important, I'll never get fired from this job!" and then you end up getting fired? Yeah, I believe in that.

There's also a Japanese concept called "kotodama" which basically says there is power and influence in words and it's kind of the opposite of jinxing: if you say it will happen, it will happen just like that. So if you're worried that, say, your girlfriend might be pregnant and you tell a friend "I'm really worried she could be pregnant," by simply saying it, you are increasing the chance that it will happen. I kind of believe in that too, as silly as it may seem.

I believe in that too as silly as it may seem but for some strange reason no matter how many times I tell myself 明日こそ彼女をゲットするんだ!! it never happens xD lol.

Edit: The Japanese means "Tomorrow for sure is the sati will get a girlfriend". Lol