A few years ago, I used to do poll tournaments here in Off Topic, and I think it's time they were brought back. I think it's safe to say most of the community won't remember the previous tournaments, so I'll explain how everything is going to work.

This thread is going to act as a hub for the tournaments. I'll link everything here, we can discuss past, current and future tournaments, I'll post the winners of each tournament as we go, etc.

The next step is opening a nomination thread. That will stay open for around a week, depending on how many nominations we get. During that time, each person will be allowed to nominate a set number of games, characters, whatever the theme of the tournament is. Part way through the week, I'll tally the votes so everyone has a chance to see who is making it in to the tournament.

Once the nomination process ends, I'll randomly generate tournament brackets, and from that point on, there will be four polls open at a time, and you'll have a chance to pick your favorite (or the one you hate the least, whichever the case may be) to move on in the tournament.

Hopefully that makes sense, and if it doesn't, it will as we move on, but feel free to ask questions. Hit the next post for the upcoming tournament's theme.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting. I just think we already have these 'things' in other threads. Like the PS3T's top 100 ps3 games leaderboard which is going pretty well atm. :think:

True, and since I'm the one maintaining that thread, let me explain why I find this pretty annoying...

Ah right, nice thread funpowder that's the kinda thing I was looking for :applause:! Didn't see it since it hadn't been stickied.

True...it would be great to see Funpowder's threads stickied...

(The above posts are from a recent thread in the feedback forum).

Now, I'm not bothered by the thread not being made sticky, but the fact that people are apparently having trouble finding it made me think perhaps I could at least ask to have it added to the "Participation Thread". I made that suggestion a couple of weeks ago but it was completely ignored, so imagine my surprise when that's where I just found the link to this. :confused: What's up with that?

I've obviously spent quite a lot of time working on that Top 100 thread and I know people like it so I'll continue updating it, but these things combined sure takes the fun out of it for me.

True, and since I'm the one maintaining that thread, let me explain why I find this pretty annoying...

Now, I'm not bothered by the thread not being made sticky, but the fact that people are apparently having trouble finding it made me think perhaps I could at least ask to have it added to the "Participation Thread". I made that suggestion a couple of weeks ago but it was completely ignored, so imagine my surprise when that's where I just found the link to this. :confused: What's up with that?

I've obviously spent quite a lot of time working on that Top 100 thread and I know people like it so I'll continue updating it, but these things combined sure takes the fun out of it for me.

I have nothing to do with the participation thread, and as I said, this is something I was doing years ago and have decided to do again. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

EDIT: The nomination thread is now open, and the link can be found in the second post of this thread.

Edited by Mendel

I think you need to understand something, though. It's two totally different polls.

Yours is a cumulative poll that shows the whole entire top 100. It's unending. People can keep voting. The major difference is yours requires the users to CHOOSE the points assigned to each, so they have to put more thought into each spot.

This is a tournament poll with brackets. It's sole purpose is to find the ONE best game. The users don't have to think about what place they place theirs at. They just post 15 games that they think are awesome. This one will end, and we'll have a new totally different tournament poll.

Can we have a weapons poll? Members' favourite gaming weapons. Like the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator! :francis:

A weapon tournament was abandoned the last time i did this. It's a cool idea in theory, but people just nominated a bunch of real world call of duty guns, and i didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of doing write ups on a bunch of different ak-47s.

A weapon tournament was abandoned the last time i did this. It's a cool idea in theory, but people just nominated a bunch of real world call of duty guns, and i didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of doing write ups on a bunch of different ak-47s.

Wow, that's incredibly boring. I don't blame you. :(

Ahh.. Melee weapons sounds more fun than a bunch of ak-47s

i don't know, if we burn through the obvious tournaments, we could always try it again, maybe limit real world guns to one entry or something. one thing at a time though.

I'm sure there are TONS of other interesting polls. So, don't worry about that. Keep the awesome ones coming!

I think you need to understand something, though. It's two totally different polls.

Yep, you're right. However, my reaction had more to do with my request/suggestion in the "participation thread" seemingly being ignored, while something so similar was added instantly. I picked the wrong place for that discussion is all. :p

I actually think this will be a lot of fun! :D