XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > General Discussion > General Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #31 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 10,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

while its clear you have commited several crimes, this could be in fact a scam. I honestly dont know how you would be able to tell the difference. Its also unlikely that you IP will be able to help you determine if it is or is not legit. Perhaps you should respond but of course do not give any personal info

7 PS4 Now Playing Watch Dogs; 101 PS3 Now Playing Metal Gear Revengence; 90 Xbox360 Now Playing Lost Planet 3.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 AM   #32 (permalink)

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   First PS4 Game Nights   1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Let me guess...

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam:

Copyright Enforcement Group, LLC...

Evidence:
Infringement Title: xxxxxxxx
Infringement File Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Infringement Hash: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Infringement File Size: xxxxxxxxxxxxx bytes
Infringement Protocol: BitTorrent
Infringement Timestamp: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Infringers IP Address: xxxxxxxx
Infringers Port: xxxxxxxxxx

The following files were included in the download:
File 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
File 2: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are hereby notified that your unauthorized copying and/or distribution infringes the registered copyrights under the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 106. In this regard, demand is hereby made that you and all persons using this account immediately and permanently cease and desist the unauthorized copying and/or distribution of the registered copyrights listed in this notice.

You may also be held liable for monetary damages, including attorney's fees and court costs if a lawsuit is commenced against you. You have until February 1, 2099 to access the settlement offer and settle online. To access the settlement offer please visit Copyright Settlements and enter Case #: xxxxx and Password: xxxxxx. To access the settlement offer directly please visit https://www.copyrightsettlements.com.

Settlement Information:
Direct Settlement Link: https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/
Settlement Website: Copyright Settlements

If you fail to respond or settle within the prescribed time period, the claim(s) will be referred to our attorneys for legal action. At that point the original settlement offer will no longer be an option and the amount will increase as a result of us having to involve our attorneys.

Nothing contained or omitted from this correspondence is, or shall be deemed to be either a full statement of the facts or applicable law, an admission of any fact, or waiver or limitation of any of the copyrighted materials owners rights or remedies, all of which are specifically retained and reserved.

The information in this notice is accurate. We have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of herein is not authorized by the registered copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law. We swear under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized to act on behalf of the registered copyright owner.

Sincerely,

Dale Spislander
Copyright Enforcement Agent

Copyright Enforcement Group, LLC
---------
Or something to that effect...

Ignore it.

Any LEGAL correspondence will not be done via email. (Generally all you will get via email, is a "cease and desist"...which you really should listen to, as they really are watching your account at that point)

You will recieve legal correspondence via a court stamped/headed letter in the mail (which can be verified that it was delivered), which will either have a offer to pay a fine or (at your option) have a time and date set for your appearance in court to plead your case.

Simply because a source states that your IP address is linked to a file that has violated copyright laws, does not directly infer your guilt.

You can contact your ISP and ask them about it, which also does not infer your guilt, as your only inquiring as to why you recieved such a thing.

Also, be sure to ensure that if you do choose to go ahead and make that "fine payment" you get a reciept for it stating what it was for.

Also, be sure to get it in writing not email...that you have paid your fine and that by doing so, it negates any further legal action in the matter towards you.

Everything I have seen and heard about these guys is that they are more or less BS.

My YouTube Stuff (And My Sons)

Last edited by Psikorps; 02-01-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #33 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psikorps View Post
Let me guess...

Or something to that effect...

Ignore it.

Any LEGAL correspondence will not be done via email. (Generally all you will get via email, is a "cease and desist"...which you really should listen to, as they really are watching your account at that point)

You will recieve legal correspondence via a court stamped/headed letter in the mail (which can be verified that it was delivered), which will either have a offer to pay a fine or (at your option) have a time and date set for your appearance in court to plead your case.

Simply because a source states that your IP address is linked to a file that has violated copyright laws, does not directly infer your guilt.

You can contact your ISP and ask them about it, which also does not infer your guilt, as your only inquiring as to why you recieved such a thing.

Also, be sure to ensure that if you do choose to go ahead and make that "fine payment" you get a reciept for it stating what it was for.

Also, be sure to get it in wrighting not email...that you have paid your fine and that by doing so, it negates any further legal action in the matter towards you.

Everything I have seen and heard about these guys is that they are more or less BS.
Dude...

Anyway, I agree. Make sure you're just not paying some scammer. Contact your ISP and ask why you're getting this and if you want to push it, get it in writing.

RESISTANCE 2 - 10,000 kills:
10006/10,000

IT. IS. DONE.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Awards Showcase A+ Thread Award   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNukes View Post
Next if you don't live by yourself how are they going to prove who in the household was the one to download and view the content, they can't.

Hell maybe someone hacked your router and was using your connection to download or your pc had a virus.
sorry but that doesnt work, they go after the acct holder no matter what. just like the riaa went after a mother when the 13 yr old daughter was dl'ing music. i think shes the one is this video from pepsi.

n if it is legit a 200$ fine is very weak compared to some of the fines that some people have gotten from these multi million $ companies. when i talked to my isp up here in canada about this they said that if they got a letter from riaa/mpaa they would let me know that i was being looked @ first before providing them w/ any of my info, so its would be a warning first here.

My Maintained Thread:
List of (NA) Playstation Plus / IGC Free Games

Last edited by hungherk; 02-01-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal Monarch

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Silver   2,500 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Bronze Submission   Community Gaming Event Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure View Post
I'd pay it. If you refuse and it gets any further the fines could be more than 10x that.
Although I never have dealt with copyright infringement before, I'd go with this. Best to keep a small probelm, a small problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #36 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 5 Champions - EBGobblins   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Community Gaming Event Bronze

Truly wild. Have never heard of his happening.

Update your game #s How many games have you played and how many have you completed?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #37 (permalink)

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Consult a lawyer. Sounds like a scam.

At the very least call your ISP and explain that you got a notice for copyright infringement and claim you never do so.

If your ISP tells you otherwise, you would know it's legit cause they actually reported your "illegal" activity.

If your ISP acts surprised, scam.

Always always go with "not guilty" until otherwise legally advised.

Retired trophy hunter. Gamer for life.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Awards Showcase First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vowel View Post
Phone your ISP and tell them you got the email (don't mention what's in it) and everything. Basicly fish them for information as to wither they know what you are talking about (by saying things like you got a suspious email on x date and time, it's from y address and if they know anything about it). If not, it's likely not as real as you think. If it is, ask to pay over the phone and you can say that's why you called.

If it's real you definitely should pay and you'd be stupid not to imo. You have no case to fight it, you've admitted to the wrong doing and your ISP just needs to check the history of your IP to find more of it.

Either way though, do not click on the link in the email.

And if it's real, change ISP's or stop what you're doing. This ISP will be monitoring you more closely from now on.

Best advice so far. This blows dude. Im sorry.

Thanks to GlennThomas for sig pic

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to N7Spectrewolf Send a message via Yahoo to N7Spectrewolf Send a message via Skype™ to N7Spectrewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNukes View Post
I would ignore it all together, first you can always claim you never received any sort of email notice, if they were serious about screwing you they would have all your info and send an actual letter but they don't have any of that.

Next if you don't live by yourself how are they going to prove who in the household was the one to download and view the content, they can't.

Hell maybe someone hacked your router and was using your connection to download or your pc had a virus.

There is no way they can prove anything, this is a scare tactic to get whatever money they can. If you keep getting these notices your ISP will probably drop you as a customer tho.
How about we not offer that kind of advice?

Anyways, OP, if you have any other questions you can PM me and I'll track down a few of my friends who actually do deal in copyright and the like.

Sig courtesy of Sackboy_LBP

Last edited by N7Spectrewolf; 02-01-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #40 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Bananas

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   THL Season 3 Champions - Sharks With Laser Beams   THL Season 3 - Ghost Busters   15,000 Posts   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Submission   Community Gaming Event Gold
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny View Post
Dude...
I don't know why you highlighted that part of his post but if it's to correct his spelling, his is right, at least over here in NA.

July 13, 2004 ~ Donate Life ~ April 3, 2013
Closed Thread