Trophies: Why Do We Do It?

jqtaxpayer

A few days ago, I earned my 23rd platinum trophy, for Yakuza 3. I had persevered against all odds to save Sunshine Orphanage. I had performed superhuman feats on the most unforgiving 9 holes of golf on Earth. I had become Lord and Master of the 'UFO' claw machine. I had endured several hours worth of loading screens to keep Okinawa's shores safe from the catastrophic ecological effects of empty wooden boxes. But as the final trophy popped, I was left wondering what I had proven, and to whom. This sudden feeling of ennui left me exploring what it was that makes gamers like us do this to begin with.

"I do it for the challenge.": I hear this one a lot, and acknowledge that there are plenty of trophies out there that require serious skills. That said, I believe they're fewer and far between than we'd like to admit. Let's explore...

• A Million Monkeys...: I had a very difficult time beating COD: World At War on Veteran difficulty, but with the Checkpoint system that's implemented in that game (and nearly all other games nowadays) I feel as though anybody feeling the need to persevere long enough could eventually rise to the occasion. It's the "Million Monkeys On A Million Typewriters Effect". Given an infinite amount of attempts, one lucky sprint up the Reichstag steps and all of a sudden we're Shakespeare. The exceptions to this rule are few, though old-school (checkpoint-free) experiences like Trash Panic come to mind, along with games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 which, even with a save point system, requires skill to master.
  • All Your Hours Are Belong To Us: A quick glance through PS3T's Platinum Difficulty Rating threads and you'll find that the lion's share of the 8s, 9s and 10s are those like GTA IV, which require nothing more than an absurd dedication of your free time. In spite of it's rating, I submit to those reading this that GTA IV's platinum is accessible to anyone with a couple hundred free hours and an ascetic streak. I submit that it would be difficult to build an argument that GTA IV's multiplayer trophies aren't deliberately designed to be as excruciating as possible -- the mocking description for the "Taking Liberties" trophy all but admits it. Yet in spite of this inexplicable attempt by developers like Rockstar to take the fun out of gaming, we offer our free time like a sacrifice to the God that cast us out of Eden.

"It encourages me to get more out of my games.": This is another reason that many of us cite for our trophy compulsions. Personally, the search for bobbleheads resulted in my seeing more of Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland than I was likely to see otherwise and did a fine job of immersing me in that game's world. Playing Bioshock's Survivor difficulty highlighted that game's strongest assets, insofar as using intelligent strategy for your battles instead of the run-and-gun tactics that work for the other difficulties. Being that I'm historically sort of a 'Normal Difficulty' kinda guy, I probably wouldn't have discovered this were it not for Sony's trophy system.

This is, IMO, probably the most realized benefit of Sony's trophy system, but, again, one that fails as often as it succeeds at providing solid entertainment. After all, how many of us would have snagged every single Infamous blast shard, uncovered every Uncharted treasure, killed every single GTA IV pigeon, mastered every Yakuza 3 minigame or obtained every one of 3D Dot Game Heroes swords if it didn't get us closer to a platinum trophy?

In those dark times before PS3T (and sites like it), gamers consulted FAQ sites to find out how to beat tough missions, where to find rare items and how to obtain 100% completion in the games that they felt the need to... not because there was a trophy at stake, but because the game was good enough to demand the effort.

I suppose what I'm asking here, after all of this, is what makes you put yourself through the mindless collection, online grinds and trial-and-error challenges to unlock those precious platinums? Because, frankly, I'm having trouble remembering anymore.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It encourages me to get more out of my games.":

I totally agree with you, if i take your bioshock exemple, i would never have played on survivor without vitachamber, if i were'nt a trophy hunter. I discovered how deep the game was.

But it's also true that hunting trophies made me discover a lot of new games

That's a good question...

Personally, i think it is fun to trophy hunt. And i like to plat games, it gives me the feeling that i'm done with it.

Also, i see it as a competition between me and my friends list, especially as we have around the same amout of trophies.

But i don't get how people buy games just for trophies...

People who buy games for trophies are the ones who don't truly enjoy games. They only enjoy trophies.

I buy games that I like and trophies are just something that adds more replay value to the game and it feels that the game is complete after the Platinum.

A few days ago, I earned my 23rd platinum trophy, for Yakuza 3. I had persevered against all odds to save Sunshine Orphanage. I had performed superhuman feats on the most unforgiving 9 holes of golf on Earth. I had become Lord and Master of the 'UFO' claw machine. I had endured several hours worth of loading screens to keep Okinawa's shores safe from the catastrophic ecological effects of empty wooden boxes. But as the final trophy popped, I was left wondering what I had proven, and to whom. This sudden feeling of ennui left me exploring what it was that makes gamers like us do this to begin with.

I know how you feel. Yakuza 3 was such a great and unique game, and though there were a lot of frustrations trying in the Batting Cages or the other minigames, I really enjoyed them. Can't wait for the 4th installment!

A for the question, "It encourages me to get more out of my games" basically sums up my reasoning. Before trophies, I would still be using guides to get the most of my games, whether is going through ridiculous steps to getting the "secret" ending, or purposely go outta my way and complete everything in a JRPG. With the addition of trophies, I still do what I've been doing, but I'm also renting games that I otherwise would've not. Trophies give a sense of accomplishment for me, as well as competition among PSN friends.

I still however, will not purposely play some of the games known for their easy trophies, particularly some of the Disney games unless I'm actually interested in them. As of now, I still stand by this statement :p!

Edited by BreadSkin

My reasons are kind of a mix of being a completionist on games that I like and to experience some challenges.

For example, when I rented Dynasty Warriors from GameFly I normally would have just made a custom character and played the game through. The trophies made me check out multiple aspects of the game and do some, in the end, rather fun collecting that I probably would have missed had there not been a trophy. This allowed me to experience all aspects of the story.

As for doing stuff in most games I'd never go out of my way to do, I'd never both getting 5 kills with 2 shots or anything like that or doing 50 perfect sync blocks or any of that rubbish. However, they actually are pretty fun to do when you get down to it.

Finally, it's just entertaining to see them pop up. Who doesn't get that little warm feeling when you see it pop up? Even better, when they pop up and you didn't even know there was a trophy for what you just did?

*Edit: There are games out there that I do love, but will never finish though. Like Yakuza 3, for example, was a brilliant game. However, I HATED the trophy list so it will never be finished but will always have that 9.5/10 (Graphics and missing audio during conversations, come on people, we're in the 21st century!) score in my mind.

Edited by BFenris

People who buy games for trophies are the ones who don't truly enjoy games. They only enjoy trophies.

Great observation! I try not to be pissed at people who buy games with easy plats just to brag about trophy amount afterwards... I mean, what's in there to be so proud of playing something that required pretty much no skill? But hey, their money, their free time, their problem, I just don't see the point.

As for me, trophies are what make me go back to games that I already finished to really complete them. Take my first plat for example, Uncharted. I finished the game about a year before I started to play it again when I decided to go for the plat.

So, yeah, for me it does encourage me to get more out of my games

Trophies are a bonus for me.

Believe me, alot of ppl here buy games for trophies only, I mean, seriously?

Exactly. I only buy games I want to play and enjoy it without thinking about the trophies. I would rather collect trophies after I finish the main story like many other games I play if there's more to do afterwards.

Seeing myself play Hannah Montana, Terminator Salvation, or any other easy platinum game out there I don't want to play makes me feel like an dumbass because what's the point of playing bad games for a virtual trophy. I can use my money to pay for important things like pencils, sketch books, or SmartTrip fare (since I take the train to school).

I gotta tell you man I give you 2 thumbs up for the mini-rant/essay. Very well put together and it has me scratching my head as well.

I go for platinums for bragging rights I guess you could say. Once my buddy gave me Resident Evil 5 and told me "Good Luck Platinuming This". 3 months later I believe I shot him a text letting him know that RE5 was no Platted. So bragging rights would be my answer.

i do it 4 the trophies but @ the same time i dont.. if a game looks like its worth buyin i buy it.. if it comes with trophy challenges then its a bonus.. trophies make the game a little more interestin, cuz its like doin side missions..

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/crazd-killa.png

PSN hasnt updated the network yet for gamercards but i got like 12 more trophies here than what its actually showin

Its an addiction, the sound of the 'ding' is amazing. The challenge and replay value does come into play as well. Before trophies came along, i'd never got 100% on a game or played a game on the hardest difficulty, let alone beat it.

Determination is also a factor. If i believe i can earn the platinum trophy, i will go for it, even if it bores me to death, like Final Fantasy 13. I guess i just cant help myself :(

At times i feel exactly the same as you, so i just take a break from trophy collecting and gaming in general for a while ;)

Trophies are a bonus for me.

Believe me, alot of ppl here buy games for trophies only, I mean, seriously?

seriously.

the main idea is to compete with gamers all around the world. the more trophies/platinums you have, the better a gamer you are.

there are only few problems with this attitude:

-you will never reach the top, because of work, family and LIFE

-even if you have the cod black ops platinum for example, you cannot really say you are better than most online players, who only play multiplayer

-apart from a personal achievement, trophies don't give you anything in the ps3 world (no trade for psn dls, no money, not even an official sony leaderboard...)

what it can give you, however, is:

-experience in gaming by playing many different genres

-skills by beating games on hard etc.

-a nice hobby being a completionist

-a great community

-a great community

Nothing to add mate, you said exactly what i was thinking :applause: I discovered that behind the trophy system, there is a big community talking about games and trophies, that's very cool

seriously.

the main idea is to compete with gamers all around the world. the more trophies/platinums you have, the better a gamer you are.

there are only few problems with this attitude:

-you will never reach the top, because of work, family and LIFE

-even if you have the cod black ops platinum for example, you cannot really say you are better than most online players, who only play multiplayer

-apart from a personal achievement, trophies don't give you anything in the ps3 world (no trade for psn dls, no money, not even an official sony leaderboard...)

-a great community

I don't see how someone who grinds NOOSE for 100 hours and gets the GTA platinum, for example, is a better gamer than someone who didn't.

But I suppose you're right about what it can give us. The trophy system (and 360's achievement system, for that matter) has encouraged me to try games that I otherwise would not have tried -- games which have since become personal favorites. Most importantly, it's introduced me to a lot of great people, like those at this site. And if I didn't enjoy doing all of this at all, I wouldn't... really, I'm not so obsessive-compulsive that I couldn't turn off notifications and move on with my life.

At times, however, I can't help feeling that something is fundamentally wrong with the implementation of this system... that the promise of proving your gaming skills is rarely fulfilled, and that ultimately it's a contest for gamers to show one another who has the most time on their hands, and all the while we make the pockets of the developers of movie tie-ins and annual sports releases fatter.

I don't buy games only for the Platinum, but I don't buy games that don't have trophies either. Well, I bought Guitar Hero 4 and Metal Gear 4, but it was when I bought my PS3 and didn't even know about trophies. But now I think it just doesn't make sense to buy a game that doesn't have trophies.

But to prove that I don't buy games only because of the Platinum, the last two games that I bought were Resistance 2 and Midnight Club Los Angeles, and the Platinums of these gamea aren't easy. Oh well...

Why do people collect trophies? Probably because they find it fun or it gives them a sense of achievement.

Why do I collect them? Just for fun tbh. A lotta the time, if im playing my PS3 then I dont have much better to do. I just collect trophies as I play through the game and if im enjoying the game enough, i'll play on for the platinum. I dont go out with the mindset to collect as many platinums as possible.