How do u approach a fighting game?

With so many moves to memorize in SF,MK,Tekken etc how do u become a competent player?.

In MKX there's 3 varied movesets to learn with each character. Multiply that by 25 (roster count) & ur potentially talkin 75 movesets to memorize!. Also if ur 'maining' a character does that mean u neglect the rest of the roster? :confused:.

In the last MK I got down a few basic combo's with Kung lao & my namesake but thats about it. I forget everythin in battle from what I did in practice. This is why so many of us button-mash! :o..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practise makes perfect. Hit it head on and just constantly practise and the perseverance will pay off :)

Pretty much this ^

I take fighting games like I do Ninja Gaiden games: you are going to mess up, a lot, but with enough practice and learning the moves that are most effective, you will do wonders. Practice makes perfect in any scenario man :)

Not at all.

Seriously though I plan to have a crack at mortal kombat and playstation all stars one day.

I'd be one of those people that spam a single attack because I suck and will collect a lot of hate mail.

Like most games you should train in tutorials and I suppose anyone could become at least competent.

Not at all.

Seriously though I plan to have a crack at mortal kombat and playstation all stars one day.

I'd be one of those people that spam a single attack because I suck and will collect a lot of hate mail.

Like most games you should train in tutorials and I suppose anyone could become at least competent.

Jfc PS All stars is literally pressing the same buttons over and over again anyway. Its really no challenge :p

First step, choose a character that seems good or interesting for you for whatever reason (awesome, funny to play, top tier, flashy, low tier, breasts, hair, moveset, etc).

Go to arcade in easy or normal/call friends/go to practice and fool around with the character, try to use all the normals and special moves and then X-ray/Fatality/Ultra/Distorsion, meanwhile you do this, try to see which moves are fast, juggles, have long range.

If the character "click" on you gameplay-wise, then keep playing with him but if not, go to the first step and try with another.

Once you are there, learn about the mechanics of the game and try to apply them to your game and the mechanics of your character, before go online, or at least, be cautious with the footsies.

After that, if you really want, you can learn some match-ups (I recommend do it for the characters that make your life harder, not the ones that the tiers say are hard for your character).

Now talking about mains, it means exactly what it seems, your "main" character is your ace under your sleeve, by whatever reason, is your best character to win and even if you don't know so much about that character in comparison to others, if you win more consistenly (ideally) without resort to button mashing then that is your main.

You don't need to reject all the cast just because you have a main and actually is better try all the characters because you can find some character that you like but you can't use it to save your life but then, boom, that character that you never thought you would use is your main character or at least a very fun to use.

You don't really need to learn all the characters/movesets to win, just learn something of your character, block and learn through playing and getting beatings, learn some of the most populars characters and their unsafe options is also nice.

Overall, enjoy the game and the rest will come.

That is the basic stuff, good luck.

Edited by Fire Emblem

I tend to steer clear of fighting games that have preset movesets that you have to learn. I prefer fighting games like DBZ games were the combos are based on variations of :square: and :triangle: and change depending on what you press. Or Wrestling games where everyone has different moves but the control scheme is the same.

These types of games require a level of focus and timing rather than wasting your time trying to memorize a button combination.

Edited by TheViper4Life

With so many moves to memorize in SF,MK,Tekken etc how do u become a competent player?.

In MKX there's 3 varied movesets to learn with each character. Multiply that by 25 (roster count) & ur potentially talkin 75 movesets to memorize!. Also if ur 'maining' a character does that mean u neglect the rest of the roster? :confused:.

In the last MK I got down a few basic combo's with Kung lao & my namesake but thats about it. I forget everythin in battle from what I did in practice. This is why so many of us button-mash! :o..

MK is very forgiving and only requires basic mastery and timing. The variations will be annoying for a few weeks, but are still doable. The key is practice and completing the arcade on very hard until you get the game down to a T.

In every fighting game I play, I follow the same basic formula:

1. Button bash aimlessly

2. Find an easy combo that I can spam to get me through

3. Get frustrated and give up :p

I tried that first when I was a true scrub in the fighting genre, got my ass kicked too many times. :p

I'm utter dog shit and fighters, I'm a grade A button masher :p

Since J and I are alike here, I avoid these games. If a game has many multiple button moves you need to have one hell of a memory IMO. One approach that has worked for me is to print off all the moves and little by little add a new move with an additional button.

Be real here guys, how many of u will get the most out of these fancy characters, I know I won't :(.. I feel like I'm missing out on half the game when I'm confined to button mashin.

Devs showcase these fancy moveset trailers & I'm like yeah how do u expect me to do this... I actually wish there was no variations because its gonna be impossible to approach & even more overwhelmin :o.

Edited by SubZero89