XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
ThisIsWar

Default RPG: Using guides vs playing on your own

I'm new to RPG games. Main reason: they seem boring to me. But with the whole Final Fantasy thing (everyone saying they're MUST play games), I bought FF VII from the PSN store. Actually bought it a long time ago, just haven't gotten around to starting it. So I'll probably be starting this real soon, I know it's a long game and all.

I remember going to my friends house when he was playing FF XII and Kingdom Hearts, and he ALWAYS had the guide right in front of him. In my opinion, it kind of takes away from the game, making it easier with the whole not having to look for items and whatnot. But again, I'm new to RPG so I shouldn't be assuming I know what I'm talking about

So what I'm trying to get at is: should I buy a guide or play it on my own? Do I really miss all that much without the guide? I'm assuming the game should still be enjoyable without a guide right?

*Will not accept blank friend requests*
ThisIsWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
mjc0961

Send a message via Skype™ to mjc0961

Awards Showcase 25,000 Posts   Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

First of all, you should not buy a guide. This isn't because it's wrong to use a guide, but because it's foolish to pay for something that you can legally get for free all over the internet. Save your money and head to GameFAQs or something similar.

As for using a guide as you play, it's really up to you. If you hate getting stuck, or don't want to miss anything, use a guide. If you want to figure it out for yourself as you go along, go without.

Personally, what I do is I just play the first time on my own, and only grab a guide if I get stumped as to what I should do next. After I finish, then I'll go find a guide and see what I might have missed for future reference. But again, it's really up to you.

Happy 2014th Birthday, Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Krid View Post
it's probably highly unlikely South Africans actually call traffic lights "cunts"

Last edited by mjc0961; 09-12-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Some people have no common sense whatsoever.
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Tropikal

Send a message via MSN to Tropikal

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

What Mjc said summed it up to nicely.

"Love moves away. The light changes. I need more grace than I thought" - Rumi
Tropikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Suiseiseki

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

You think RPG games are boring and you're asking if you should use a guide to hand hold you through the entire game?

And as mjc said, buying a guide is a waste of money when the same information is easily available on the internet.
Suiseiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
ThisIsWar

Alright thanks, I'll check the guide only if I get stuck unless I actually like the game =p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki View Post
You think RPG games are boring and you're asking if you should use a guide to hand hold you through the entire game?
Yeah, I don't really like RPG games. Though, I've only played online mmorpg's and I quit them all within a couple weeks. I'm just asking if it's worth using the guide to get all the extra stuff you normally wouldn't get by playing by yourself.

*Will not accept blank friend requests*

Last edited by ThisIsWar; 09-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
ThisIsWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
YurtleTehTurtle

Awards Showcase First PS4 Game Nights   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Community Gaming Event Silver   Member of the Month Winner   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Killzone Gaming Night Award   Gold Submission   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)

I would skim over a guide as I was playing to make sure I didn't miss any, er
, missables. If it's a 50, 60+ hour game the last thing I'm going to do when I finish is start again straight away, therefore I want to make sure I get the most out of it.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
mjc0961

Send a message via Skype™ to mjc0961

Awards Showcase 25,000 Posts   Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsWar View Post
I'm just asking if it's worth using the guide to get all the extra stuff you normally wouldn't get by playing by yourself.
Possibly. Again, it depends on how badly you want to avoid missing things.

If you have good willpower, you could always get close to completing an area, then check the guide to see if you missed anything and go back for it instead of just reading from the guide directly as you play. You just have to avoid looking ahead.

Happy 2014th Birthday, Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Krid View Post
it's probably highly unlikely South Africans actually call traffic lights "cunts"
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Woody

Awards Showcase THL Season 7 - Bingo   Woody's Canaries   First PS4 Game Nights   5,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Gold Submission   Killzone Gaming Night Award
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)

I always use a guide for FF but I did for Lost Oddessy and The Last Remnant aswell.

Thanks to Red_Rebel44 for the sig.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
kissmyscythe

Like MJC,I only use one if I get stuck.Sometimes it's nice to have a guide if you're in a rush of beating the game though.I know for the Xenosaga series I bought the first and second guides for like $10.00 that' s just because I got tired of looking for all the secret doors or w/e their called.As for FF7 you don't really need one,If you get stuck look online or ask someone,I know just about everything in that game as well as I'm sure alot of people on here does.
kissmyscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
Cibo

i would try to avoid using a guide the first time through. IMO it kind of ruins the experience when you have to constantly stop and look at where to go next.
Cibo is offline   Reply With Quote