RPG: Using guides vs playing on your own

ThisIsWar

I'm new to RPG games. Main reason: they seem boring to me. But with the whole Final Fantasy thing (everyone saying they're MUST play games), I bought FF VII from the PSN store. Actually bought it a long time ago, just haven't gotten around to starting it. So I'll probably be starting this real soon, I know it's a long game and all.

I remember going to my friends house when he was playing FF XII and Kingdom Hearts, and he ALWAYS had the guide right in front of him. In my opinion, it kind of takes away from the game, making it easier with the whole not having to look for items and whatnot. But again, I'm new to RPG so I shouldn't be assuming I know what I'm talking about :p

So what I'm trying to get at is: should I buy a guide or play it on my own? Do I really miss all that much without the guide? I'm assuming the game should still be enjoyable without a guide right? :p

First of all, you should not buy a guide. This isn't because it's wrong to use a guide, but because it's foolish to pay for something that you can legally get for free all over the internet. Save your money and head to GameFAQs or something similar.

As for using a guide as you play, it's really up to you. If you hate getting stuck, or don't want to miss anything, use a guide. If you want to figure it out for yourself as you go along, go without.

Personally, what I do is I just play the first time on my own, and only grab a guide if I get stumped as to what I should do next. After I finish, then I'll go find a guide and see what I might have missed for future reference. But again, it's really up to you.

Edited by mjc0961
Some people have no common sense whatsoever.

Alright thanks, I'll check the guide only if I get stuck unless I actually like the game =p

You think RPG games are boring and you're asking if you should use a guide to hand hold you through the entire game?

Yeah, I don't really like RPG games. Though, I've only played online mmorpg's and I quit them all within a couple weeks. I'm just asking if it's worth using the guide to get all the extra stuff you normally wouldn't get by playing by yourself.

Edited by ThisIsWar

I'm just asking if it's worth using the guide to get all the extra stuff you normally wouldn't get by playing by yourself.
Possibly. Again, it depends on how badly you want to avoid missing things.

If you have good willpower, you could always get close to completing an area, then check the guide to see if you missed anything and go back for it instead of just reading from the guide directly as you play. You just have to avoid looking ahead.

Like MJC,I only use one if I get stuck.Sometimes it's nice to have a guide if you're in a rush of beating the game though.I know for the Xenosaga series I bought the first and second guides for like $10.00 that' s just because I got tired of looking for all the secret doors or w/e their called.As for FF7 you don't really need one,If you get stuck look online or ask someone,I know just about everything in that game as well as I'm sure alot of people on here does.

I dont use guides for RPGs. especially squaresoft/enix games. they are just TOO good to be spoiled.

i always beat the game, and every single little detail of it, before i even think of going to a guide to find out any easter eggs i missed.

Most if not all of Square's RPGs are extremely linear so a guide would be less needed (pointless) than a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

I don't usually use or buy guides but I did buy the Fallout 3 guide just to have it. Guides IMO are only needed in open-world/non-linear games.

I dont think its wrong to use a guide, but I think you shouldn't follow it all to explicitly.

If you remember on FFXII, almost nobody (> 99%) would be able to get the highest stat(ed) weapon, Zodiac Spear if you didnt follow a guide. And FFXII isn't a game to do all over after you have reached level 99 with more than 200 hours of gameplay(whew, that was exhausting :D)

Depends, I'm an RPG-addcits so I've played lots of them and know how to play so finding things isn't really a probleme. I prefer not to use guide.. Though sometimes I used them for boss battles where I was underleveled. (I don't mind grinding AS LONG as its rewarding and not boring. Some games where boring so I always leveled as least as possible and loooked up tactics for bosses)