Cheat Codes

Anyone remember the times when cheat codes were a common thing among video games, they are really rare now.

I can only think of Rockstar Games that still have cheat codes in their games.

It seems that only the initial games of PS3 had cheat codes such as Motorstorm, but now, barely any game has any, including the sequels to Motorstorm.

Why do you think cheat codes suddenly lost its place among games.

Anyone remember the times when cheat codes were a common thing among video games, they are really rare now.

It seems that only the initial games of PS3 had cheat codes such as Motorstorm, but now, barely any game has any, including the sequels to Motorstorm.

Achievements/Trophies

I don't see how, you can always disable the trophies/achievements when you activate a cheat code, just like Rockstar's games.

Also, they had already lost a lot of popularity before trophies.

I'd venture to say is that games were harder back then so cheat codes made more sense. There weren't tutorials in games like there are today. Also, programming cheats was probably more expensive to make than back in the NES/Genesis days. Sony and MS didn't allow people to run the Gamebreaker, Codeshark, etc. on their consoles and constant firmware updates made it difficult for companies to even bother. And lastly, achievements have been around for the past 6 years so that's why they don't have many games with them now...especially ones with MP.

Edited by Francofone

I loved the cheat codes on games like San Andreas. Infinite health, rocket-launchers, tanks and half-a million dollars instantly is what made the game so ludicrous and fun to play.

I don't see how, you can always disable the trophies/achievements when you activate a cheat code, just like Rockstar's games.

Also, they had already lost a lot of popularity before trophies.

Disabling them won't do any good, the person can still cheat. Just look at this thread for instance: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/grand-theft-auto-iv/9081-definitive-gta-iv-guide-blockable-trophies-now-w-more-cheat-codes.html Developers don't usually implement cheats because there is always away for a user to use them for their advantage. Like unlocking all the trophies faster than another user who is playing without cheats enabled.

I personally have more fun without using cheat codes. The exception are GTA games, those are just made for cheat codes
Yeah you're right about that, can't say that i've missed cheat codes for other games. Some games allow you to use them, but first after you've beaten the game which I suppose is fair. When trophies are involved being allowed to use cheats would defeat the purpose of actually earning them.

Edit: Uncharted 2 I guess was kinda an exception where you can use a few cheats that make it a joke beating it.

Edited by JAK-KRIEG

I loved the cheat codes on games like San Andreas. Infinite health, rocket-launchers, tanks and half-a million dollars instantly is what made the game so ludicrous and fun to play.

Best part though, is you don't need cheats to gain these things anymore. GTA especially. Grind some time into the game and you get it all as rewards.

You don't really need them anymore though to beat games, like the above dude mentioned, they aren't as hard as they were back in the day. Especially since saving your game has never been easier... NES games were almost all based on timing, memory and reflex and repetition. One mistake and your dead...

I still like cheats though, but I like the ones that alter the game in a fun fashion. Big head mode, paintballs, defy gravity, sepia tone etc.

I saw one of those really long pictures that was "All about nintendo" a bit back. They said that to extend the length of their games, they intentionally made their games insanely hard. So hard that some of the older gamers still referred to really hard games as 'nintendo hard'.

Now that games are on average over 20 hours of main storyline, and probably an average of 40-50 hours to platinum, there is no reason to make games so hard that cheat codes are necessary. The length of games has a strong correlation on the disappearance of cheat codes.

I thought cheat codes were just left in as tools from game testing and development? i remember reading somewhere that that was the reason so many games included cheat codes, aside from making games fun, they just didnt remove them. However i do question the usefulness in games testing of the 'X has big head' cheats. I dont miss cheats too much however it would be nice if GTA IV included the crazy cheats from the PS2 era.

Cheat codes faded out during the last-gen consoles. Rockstar games will always use cheat codes, but I miss the days of buying huge ass cheat books or writing down cheats on paper to use in games. I think they should still have them like they used to, but I definitely understand disabling trophies/achievements when you use them.

Most people really do have it all wrong. Back in the day, cheats were "accidental"...they were exploits found by other gamers based on coding infractions, they were never INTENTIONALLY developed into a game until GTA3, unless you had a game with a cheat menu. But cheats like level select in Sonic 1, wasn't meant to be found, it was a glitch in debugging process.

Then you have cheat devices, such as Gameshark, Codebreaker or Action Replay, which utilize a whole different method, by FORCING the game to act differently then programmed by changing the Hexidecimal codec so slightly that it modifies your game.

If you can't tell, I was a huge utilizer of cheats...I loved them. They brought so much replay value to a game. It really sucks that the codec infrastructure is so complex now that guys like Pelican Accessories, can't make cheat devices anymore...I really miss them.

The only problem I have with using cheats in games that have them now is trophies being disabled. While it makes sense to do so, it shouldn't STAY that way after I turn my game off. If I come back to the game without using them, I should have my trophies available to me again.

Most people really do have it all wrong. Back in the day, cheats were "accidental"...they were exploits found by other gamers based on coding infractions, they were never INTENTIONALLY developed into a game until GTA3, unless you had a game with a cheat menu. But cheats like level select in Sonic 1, wasn't meant to be found, it was a glitch in debugging process.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

You are comparing cheat codes with glitches and game data modifiers. There were plenty old games that had cheat codes. Many of the console games was simply a combination of button presses like the Konami code above. Some games had a password system that could be used as cheating, but can't count that as cheat codes. But cheat codes was quite common on PC games and I think that is was most people are referring to. Anyone remember god mode in Doom?

Now that games are on average over 20 hours of main storyline, and probably an average of 40-50 hours to platinum, there is no reason to make games so hard that cheat codes are necessary. The length of games has a strong correlation on the disappearance of cheat codes.

the main storylines take much less than 20 hrs today!

average platinum time is much less than 40 hrs, too!

I believe cheat codes haven't been around in a ton of games in the last few years mainly due to them being 'childish.' Video games wanted to grow up, and in the last few years they certainly did. If they still retained cheat codes, it just wouldn't look 'mature.'

The last games I remember playing in the modern systems that still had cheat codes enabled were: Quake 4, Far Cry: Insticts/Predator (fun with codes), and of course GTA IV (even though the codes sucked compared to previous GTA games, but it was nice to beat a GTA game for once in my life without any codes).

I loved cheat codes. They made the games I had so much more fun. Enabling cheat codes just let me fool around and waste time. Sometimes I'd play a game just for the hell of it and didn't want to have to think or concentrate to play it. I just wanted to goof off and do things on purpose. I think that's why people enjoy PC games like WoW because you can just roam around forever and it never ends.

But man, if you knew cheat codes back in the N64 days, you were a legend. If you had codes enabled on GoldenEye 007/64 back in the day -- wh00, forget about it! You had people at your house playing GoldenEye with you when you didn't know who the hell they were lol. And lol I remember the times my buddies and I would always go into the supermarkets and check out the video game books and just go to the end, check out the cheat codes, and jot them down on a piece of paper to test out at home. Lol We thought we were cool/sneaky. Oh how the times have changed.

If there was one game I could enable GTA-like codes (infinite ammo, health, etc., etc.), it would most definitely be the 1st Halo. I would love to just goof around in that game without giving a rats ass lol.

~ Rafdog89

like many said, its because it ruins the art of achieving trophies

Games that still have cheat codes are GTA and Saints row. Both have fun cheats that make the game more "fool around" rather than play, but then again, you earn those things as rewards for going through the game.

THey need to make more games with cheats. CHeats that dont stop the trophies, but do stupid stuff that wont hinder or help the achieving of the trophies. ITs alittle extra that wouldnt make sales go up, but something our community has loss, and i would like to see come back

I had no harm in the cheats being used. I mean I think it's what made the GTA games back in the day. I'd probably spend more games like these if it was implemented. I like gaming seriously for the stories and completing, but I also enjoy falling around on games in where cheats use make it so much fun.

I think cheats should be around and used as I brought the game so I play it how I like as long as it dont effect other gamers enjoyment from it. I spose cheats are out the window because of achievements, but I also think it's because the hacks are more appealing to most gamers these days.

Achievements/Trophies

Funny thing I was just thinking the same lol ^^

Sorry but did u see saint rows 3 packed w cheats.

I think games adult oriented have less cheats Dan teen rated games.

I used to enjoy cheats on duke nukem god mode was da cheese for me

Edited by theghostsi
Adtl thoughts