The PS3's defining game.

Tri Winning

Every console has that one game. That game that everyone bought, loved, played it to death, and then played it some more. The game that defined the console, the one that makes everyone say "Gosh, I had that game, it was the greatest!"

Pokémon, Sonic, Super Mario, Metroid, Pac-man, Zelda, Halo, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter. I could name a hundred more. All of these games were revolutionary. Amazing, even today. Millions of fans with nothing but the fondness memories of them. these are the games that made us gamers, the games that got us hooked and never let us go.

But does the PS3 have one of those games? It has a lot of sequels from earlier generation consoles (PS1 and 2), and it also has a lot of popular games that it shares with the Xbox. But does it have that one game that makes everyone love the console? Does it have that one game that will make people queue around the corner to buy it? And if it doesn't, will it ever?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncharted gets the likely vote. But i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the PS3 is unique in that it really has more than one defining game as the exclusive library for this console really is it greatest benefactor. No other modern day console has a diverse exclusive library like PS3.

Uncharted

Killzone

God of War

Resistance

Gran Turismo

Heavy Rain

Infamous

Little Big Planet

Metal Gear Solid 4

Just to name a few. All of these are top rated titles, and really set the mark this system has made on this generation. In other words...it doesn't have one defining game...because it has many.

Edited by TheViper4Life

I'm going to have to agree that LBP is probably a better candidate than Uncharted. Just looking at the stats from YourGamerCards, none of the trophies in Uncharted have more than 86,000 users who have obtained it while somewhere around 14 LBP trophies have been obtained by more than 86,000 users.

And before the argument is made that LBP trophies are easier, the easiest trophy in Uncharted is for picking up 1 treasure and it is just over 85,000. LBP has two easy trophies (one for sticking a sticker and one for getting 2x mult) that are just over 139,000 users.

Anyway, I'm not bashing Uncharted. I've platted 1 and 2. I just think LBP has more widespread recognition than Uncharted.

nintendo has mario

sega has sonic

xbox has halo

but ever since the playstation brand was created, sony has been emphatic about NOT having a mascot associated with their system

which is why over the years they have created and maintained a vast library of great and exclusive franchises.. and why there is no game character that is universally synonymous with the brand

nintendo has mario

sega has sonic

xbox has halo

but ever since the playstation brand was created, sony has been emphatic about NOT having a mascot associated with their system

which is why over the years they have created and maintained a vast library of great and exclusive franchises.. and why there is no game character that is universally synonymous with the brand

Unless you live in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_(cartoon_character))

Edited by Tri Winning
Fixing the link

The PS3 has no defining game. Uncharted? 99.9% of the world doesn't know who the fuck Nathan Drake is.

Mario. That's a defining game. Sonic. Halo. Those are iconic titles. If I had to choose something, I'd say Metal Gear Solid. But even that is spread thin due to the non-exclusive nature of every other entry in the series.

We used to have Crash Bandicoot. Sony just never got that whole mascot thing down. It's sad. I liked Crash. Still, nothing can ever beat Mario, Sonic or Halo though.

I'm going to have to agree that LBP is probably a better candidate than Uncharted. Just looking at the stats from YourGamerCards, none of the trophies in Uncharted have more than 86,000 users who have obtained it while somewhere around 14 LBP trophies have been obtained by more than 86,000 users.

And before the argument is made that LBP trophies are easier, the easiest trophy in Uncharted is for picking up 1 treasure and it is just over 85,000. LBP has two easy trophies (one for sticking a sticker and one for getting 2x mult) that are just over 139,000 users.

Anyway, I'm not bashing Uncharted. I've platted 1 and 2. I just think LBP has more widespread recognition than Uncharted.

Uncharted didn't have trophy support for a good while.

The PS3 has no defining game. Uncharted? 99.9% of the world doesn't know who the fuck Nathan Drake is..

Sorry but 99.9% of the world doesn't know who Mastercheif is. The only people who know are gamers. Same with Solid Snake, Drake, Sackboy etc.

The only true well known figures world-wide would probably be Mario (definitely) and Sonic (possibly).

That's true I forgot all about that cat

http://tomopop.com/ul/9609-550x-DSCN4393.jpg

Toro has been like a Sony mascot ever since the PS1 era. So not really a PS3 mascot, but is still the actual Sony mascot that has been around since the beginning of Playstation even though none of the main games with him in it have been localized outside of Japan.

Toro has appeared in DLC though in America like in Hot Shots: Out of Bounds and Little Big Planet, and can also be seen in the English version of Disgaea Infinite and maybe some other Sony exclusive titles. Plus he's also 1 of the PSN avatars you can choose from. For the most part though, SCEA basically ignores Toro's existence.

Uncharted and Little Big Planet. I agree with Aiden though. Sony has no truly defining game or mascot. It is kinda sad that there is no franchise that would instantly make people think of Playstation in general, not just PS3. Metal Gear Solid could qualify but it went multiplatform with MGS2.

Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War, Nintendo has Mario and Zelda. Sony? Sony has nothing. Sad.

If anyone needs me I'll be in this dark corner crying fanboy tears.

Edited by purifico

I agree with gunny with this

Sorry but 99.9% of the world doesn't know who Mastercheif is. The only people who know are gamers. Same with Solid Snake, Drake, Sackboy etc.

i think sony is just acting " too nice " and sharing games with other consoles like XBOX360 and i hate that !!

there is only 3 games that could define PS3 MGS + LBP + Uncharted , and if they get a XBOX360 version that like WoW Getting a console version !!

I have to agree and say tha Uncharted has to be the defining game for the PS3.

Just to add I was an Xbot till it was hit with the RROD 6 times then I gave up and swapped to PS3, which was the best decision I ever made. Anyway Uncharted: Drakes Fortune was the first game I ever played for the PS3 it instantly cement in my mind that PS3 is the supreme console.