The "What PS3 Game Should I Get?" Thread

mjfan97

If you are compelled to join the site as a result of this thread please put mjfan97 as a referrer when you sign up. - Thanks.

The purpose of this thread:

• Recommend any game on PS3 to another user based on their gaming interests, what they're looking for or to decide between games etc.
  • The thread can be used to decide what game to platinum and/or 100% next.
  • This list categorizes all of these requests in order to reduce forum clutter.

Mod Edit: Please use this thread for any PS3 game, Retail or Digital. Thanks.

Edited by mjfan97

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a game with good online that isn't a shooter.

LittleBigPlanet 2 and Rock Band 3/ The Beatles: Rock Band seem to be the only ones that can come to mind for me if we aren't talking shooters. There's a ton of widely popular sports games too that I'm sure someone can fill you in on.

Thank you OP for making this thread, hopefully it lasts and becomes successful.

Define "official"..?

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary,

Official:

of·fi·cial noun \ə-ˈfi-shəl also ō-\

1. One who holds or is invested with an office : officer <government officials>
  2. One who administers the rules of a game or sport especially as a referee or umpire

There is no definition for "Offical."

2 questions:

1. Should I get White Knight Chronicles 2?

I never played the first game and looked for some gameplay, it greatly reminded me of Final Fantasy XII which is a good thing since it's actually one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

I can get around a bad story and cliché characters, I've heard those are the biggest criticisms the games get.

Only thing holding me slightly back is the really slow pace of the combat, is the entire game like that? Do you think I will grow used to it?

2. How's Magic The Gathering 2012? I never played the card game or a game in my life. But I've heard great things about it. I do have some experience with Yu-Gi-Oh! and it's tons of fun in my opinion. Should I give Magic a chance?

Personally, :applause: for this thread. It seems every 2 or 3 days someone is starting some variation of a "What game should I get" thread.

Sticky this, and make people use it, and it will definitely clean up some clutter.

As for the 1st inquiry:

Online, non-shooters: LittleBigPlanet (1or2), Modnation Racers (if you're into racing games), or DC Universe Online, though that one has a monthly membership attached to it.

2 questions:

I never played the first game and looked for some gameplay, it greatly reminded me of Final Fantasy XII which is a good thing since it's actually one of my favorite Final Fantasy games.

I can get around a bad story and clichй characters, I've heard those are the biggest criticisms the games get.

Only thing holding me slightly back is the really slow pace of the combat, is the entire game like that? Do you think I will grow used to it?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: HELL NOOO!!!

Don't be fooled by its visual likeness to FF12. It's nothing like that. FF12's world exploration and battle mechanics are a gem, this one's - a steaming pile of horse poo.

Okay so I'm going shopping tonight and seeing how much I can trade in Brink for, but in return I'm looking for some good games for the PS3. I would like to say exclusives are priority here above all else but anyone can suggest anything for me. I like everything except RPG's and some sports tittles, not a major fan of those.

My current games are as follows, so please don't suggest one of these ;)

Uncharted/2, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, The Saboteur, RE5, LBP, DiRT2, inFAMOUS, COD4, Bioshock 2, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV, Dead Space/2, GT5 Prologue, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Warhawk and some football games.

Looking for something possibly with a deep and or long storyline that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg (i.e anything near RRP price of £39.99!) Cheap and cheerful I would say. Thank you in advance! :applause:

You could try out Demon's Souls. While it does not have a deep story line, it is a pretty long game on the first playthrough. Granted, it is classified as an RPG, but I'd say it is still worth checking out.

3D dot Game Heroes is another nice PS3 exclusive. It is basically 'Zelda in HD and with blocky characters', very charming, very colorfull, it has a nice difficulty and I personally found it very entertainig.

Another exclusive would be Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. Albeit being a bit on the cheap/unfair side of the difficulty spectrum it has a nice combat system, high replay value and should be pretty cheap to find nowadays.

Hmm what about this thread? Is it a thread for people to ask what games to get then others answer them. Or anyone can just post what they prefer. Sorry but this won't work for me... No offense again.

My impression was the first one. Soooo many of these pop up on a weekly basis, I think directing them into one thread would be useful. Plus people then see previously suggested games, instead of asking over, and over, and over, and over..... because the search function seems to be beyond some ...

I am waiting for Mass Effect 3.

Good for you, but this isn't this kind of thread lol

Okay so I'm going shopping tonight and seeing how much I can trade in Brink for, but in return I'm looking for some good games for the PS3. I would like to say exclusives are priority here above all else but anyone can suggest anything for me. I like everything except RPG's and some sports tittles, not a major fan of those.

My current games are as follows, so please don't suggest one of these ;)

Uncharted/2, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, The Saboteur, RE5, LBP, DiRT2, inFAMOUS, COD4, Bioshock 2, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV, Dead Space/2, GT5 Prologue, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Warhawk and some football games.

Looking for something possibly with a deep and or long storyline that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg (i.e anything near RRP price of £39.99!) Cheap and cheerful I would say. Thank you in advance! :applause:

How about InFamous 2? Since you've already have the first it would be logical to get the second one too. It fits almost all your criteria: it's an exclusive, it's got nice story, not sure about length though.

Assassin's Creed 2 - it's not a shooter though and not an exclusive, but is one of the best new franchises, and it's got a nice story/universe if you're into conspiracies.

Red Faction: Armageddon is a good enough 3rd person shooter. The destruction is pretty cool and it does have some of the best weapons ever (examples: Rail Driver, Magnet Gun & Singularity Cannon).

I enjoyed playing it although the first couple of levels didn't exactly get me excited, but perservering beyond that and it turned out to be pretty fun. Plus, its a fairly easy platinum to if you love your trophies. Took me about 13 hours of game time to get it.

2 questions:

I can get around a bad story and cliché characters, I've heard those are the biggest criticisms the games get.

If you are a fan of mini MMOs, then definitely yes. White Knight Chronicles is one of the best co-op based RPG games in a while. The online community is one of the best I have ever seen. The series has been constantly getting free updates during its Japanese run unlike Final Fantasy XIII, whose "DLC" got "transferred" to FF13-2.

Don't go with gimmicks. If you love co-op, you will love WKC2. There is a reason lots of people who play it play for more than 1000 hours.

Edited by EEHHHHHH

...Looking for something possibly with a deep and or long storyline that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg (i.e anything near RRP price of £39.99!) Cheap and cheerful I would say. Thank you in advance! :applause:

The God of War trilogy fits all but the "cheerful" part. If you do want something cheerful, on the other hand...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAM_Po00Bk]YouTube - ‪Katamari Forever - Official E3 Trailer [HD]‬‏[/ame]

...that's your answer.

I know you said no RPG's, but I highly recommend Nier (ARPG, so it's basically a hack and slash with exp and levels). Lovely story, great characters, memorable music. Can get it on the cheap for $20. 15hr speed run trophy, but the plat is around 50hrs (if you grind for materials to upgrade all your weapons which is in no way necessary to beat any bosses).

If you want to know if you'd be interested in the story, its set and told on a very small scale, focusing on a father trying to find a cure for his sick daughter. There are global implications for his actions but it stays focused on the main five characters and a handful of NPC's.

Edited by Stork77

I was wondering if anyone can give me an answer to this, preferably someone who has played both of these games. Im in need of a new summer game to invest in, and Ive had my mind set on either F3AR or Shadows of the Damned. I was looking for the game that would give me most out of its retail value, meaning trophy wise and actual content wise.

If anyone can give me an awnser that would be great, I just want to make sure Im making the right choice, and please tell me if neither of them are worth the money, dont want to go throw $70.00 down the drain.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an answer to this, preferably someone who has played both of these games. Im in need of a new summer game to invest in, and Ive had my mind set on either F3AR or Shadows of the Damned. I was looking for the game that would give me most out of its retail value, meaning trophy wise and actual content wise.

If anyone can give me an awnser that would be great, I just want to make sure Im making the right choice, and please tell me if neither of them are worth the money, dont want to go throw $70.00 down the drain.

I've looked into both these games and I had a huge paragraph typed out but my comp fucked up so here's the short version.

Shadows of the Damned. Twisted, crazy game. Definitely unique. Next to no replay value after you finish it.

F3AR. Scary, fun. An upgrade from Fear 2 which was also good. Has an online so you could play that when you're done.

Both worth a play but if you're going to buy a game F3AR has the most replay value. I think I'm going to rent Shadows of the Damned myself.

I've looked into both these games and I had a huge paragraph typed out but my comp fucked up so here's the short version.

Shadows of the Damned. Twisted, crazy game. Definitely unique. Next to no replay value after you finish it.

F3AR. Scary, fun. An upgrade from Fear 2 which was also good. Has an online so you could play that when you're done.

Both worth a play but if you're going to buy a game F3AR has the most replay value. I think I'm going to rent Shadows of the Damned myself.

Thanks, I've looked into both aswell and I am kind of leaning towards F3AR. Shadows of the Damned looks good, but theres too many small problems with it that I know will bother me (The way he runs, voice acting and apparently the large ammount of awkward penis jokes) F3AR on the other hand looks alot like the second, although after some reading its said to be worse than the first two. I've also read that the graphics are dated but I didnt see a problem when watching gameplay.