Easy Money!

MrMinderbinder

OK, I haven't checked to see if this trick works on all partnered characters, but it definitely worked on Chapter 8 with the guy you spring from jail (Whitey McNoShirt) when you're wearing the Gold Guard disguise.

After you get out of jail, and after the man leaves your party, go to the nearest weapon seller. If you go to the "Sell" option, you have the opportunity to sell the knife once held by your partner. It sells for about 1 G, 80 S (not bad for this point in the game). However, here's the real gem: you can sell the item an unlimited number of times! I scored about 500 G in about 3-4 minutes, meaning that I'd have only the best weapons, armor, potions, rings, etc. for the remainder of the game.

Now I just want to know if this works on all in-game partners, or just the one...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
OK, I haven't checked to see if this trick works on all partnered characters, but it definitely worked on Chapter 8 with the guy you spring from jail (Whitey McNoShirt) when you're wearing the Gold Guard disguise.

After you get out of jail, and after the man leaves your party, go to the nearest weapon seller. If you go to the "Sell" option, you have the opportunity to sell the knife once held by your partner. It sells for about 1 G, 80 S (not bad for this point in the game). However, here's the real gem: you can sell the item an unlimited number of times! I scored about 500 G in about 3-4 minutes, meaning that I'd have only the best weapons, armor, potions, rings, etc. for the remainder of the game.

Now I just want to know if this works on all in-game partners, or just the one...

Can you tell exactly where, because i dont see an option to sell a knife for 1 G and 80 S ???

• 1 year later...

OK, so I've replayed this now, and I've got some more specific information.

First - Whitey McNoShirt is Orys. He's in jail (where the Gold Cloaks hang out, not in the Red Keep) for murder.

Second - details. I'm not entirely sure of all of the necessary requirements, but I think I've nailed down some of what must be done for this glitch, and some of what doesn't affect it. I am fairly certain that this method only works with Orys, and not with any other companions. Unfortunately, this means you're on your own until Chapter 8. However, the glitch does come before the Arena, making even battling Lucifer ridiculously easy.

THE METHOD:

You must be in Chapter 8, in which Alester finds a Gold Cloak disguise in order to infiltrate the Gold Cloak base of operations. After attaining all five parts of the Gold Cloak outfit (helmet, armor, gloves, cape, boots), go to the Quest icon but do not yet go inside. Put on the Gold Cloak outfit and make a back-up save at this point.

Now, you will be completing the Gold Cloak hang-out without saving. I've found that if I make a manual save during this method, it doesn't work. Go inside and question all five information guards (giving you details to talk your way past checkpoints). Talk your way into the basement (do not fight the guards in the basement). Look over the body in the basement, and talk your way into the cells (do not fight). Visit with Orys, and do not condemn him (you'll be busting him out). Go back up to the first floor, then up to the second floor to visit the room of Janos Slynt. Use Fire of R'hllor (press square) to find the Commander Seal. Read the Quest scroll, then return to Orys in the basement. Free him.

The glitch happens at the moment you free Orys from his cell. You can check to see if it worked by opening your inventory and going to weapons. If it worked, you'll see Orys' Misericorde (dagger) in your weapon list, but with Orys' picture over it. You cannot equip it, but if you see it in your inventory list, the glitch has worked. Head upstairs. Tell the guard that you're conducting a prisoner transfer (from cell block AA23 :whistle: ), and show him the seal. Do not tell him that Janos said to free the prisoner. Walk out peacefully. I say to use the peaceful escape because, if the glitch worked, Orys is now unarmed, and he almost certainly be killed trying to escape. Since you're probably going for the Teamwork trophy, you don't want this.

After leaving, Orys will leave you but the dagger will remain in your inventory. Head over to the nearest merchant and sell the weapon to your heart's content - though you can't equip, you can sell without the weapon disappearing from your inventory. Each time you sell, you get 1 Gold, 82 Silver, 2 Copper. Like I said, unlimited riches in no time.

For the rest of the game, you will enjoy only the best weapons and armor. When Alester meets up with Mors in Chapter 11, you will both have only the best (fortunately for you, only Chapter 9 remains with poor-ass Mors, and this Chapter is very short).

If, for whatever reason, the glitch doesn't activate, restore to your back-up save and run the method again. Despite following the same technique, I've found it doesn't work every time. Maybe it's time related, so work fast (don't hunt for junk... you're about to be rich!). Also of note: it seems that the dagger is stuck in your inventory until the end of Chapter 8. Even saving and loading didn't take it away from me, but it was gone when I regained Alester in Chapter 10.

Edited by MrMinderbinder

• 3 weeks later...

If you're wondering how much Gold you'll need to buy every good piece of equipment in the game (unique purple goods, plus the better green items), the answer is approximately 250-300 Gold. Everything after that is just padding your wallet. Using this method... that takes approximately 2-3 minutes to earn. :dance:

EDIT: Another heads-up. Since both Alester and Mors will be armed to the teeth now, might I recommend a dirty strategy for the final battle?

[spoiler=dirtyspoons]At the end of Chapter 13, you will have to make a decision regarding which character you will be for the end of the game. For trophy purposes, you will have to play the last two chapters twice, once with each of the protagonists.

Regardless of whom you choose, you will have control of both characters until the very end of the game. Before entering the throne room to confront Valarr, go to the inventory of the character you didn't pick, and strip them of all armor (hopefully you didn't sell off all of your garbage items). Leave them with only a paltry weapon. Though this will make the battle with Valarr a little more difficult (as your partner will now suck at combat), you'll thank yourself for this decision when you realize that the final battle is actually between Alester and Mors.

Edited by MrMinderbinder

• 3 weeks later...

Nice trick with that dagger. Will attempt that glitch when I play the game a 2nd time.

EDIT: OK that trick totally works, but it is definitely time-dependent. I was relatively quick the first time around and Orys' dagger was in my inventory when he joined me, but once I stepped outside, the dagger was gone. So having the dagger doesn't necessarily mean the glitch will work.

2nd attempt, much faster this time (still had time to snag all items though), again the dagger was in my inventory after Orys joined, but this time the dagger remained in my inventory when I left the Watch. Thanks again, MrMinderbinder.

Edited by Theophobos
added some stuff

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I platinumed this game legit and I honestly don't see the need for this glitch but hey, now that I scored the EU stacking copy today because it was on sale... fuck it, I'm going to exploit the shit out of this glitch, ha ha! :dance:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

September 15th, 2016

The glitch worked perfectly. What a wonderful, wonderful glitch indeed. :mob: :smoke: :woop:

Edited by TacoNinja

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think they finally patched this. I get Misericorde dagger with the companions name on it in my inventory but the second he leaves, I lose the dagger.

I tried again and did it as fast as I could ..no picking up extra loot, skipping all scenes and still did not get it

Edited by Foxyfox

• 3 years later...