Combat!!??!!

leenazz666

Man I've only just started but am already struggling! Is it turn based combat always? Can you block? I just bashed up the 4 recruits but kept running out of stamina after 2 moves!?! Any chance someone could give me a breakdown of how the combat works because it's putting me off this game already, I really want to do this cos I love the books and TV program.

Combat in this game is quite unique, yes. I remember how 'weird' and 'difficult' it was in the beginning, but after a while it gets easier (since you know what to do.) and it actually isn't that different from Star Wars: KoToR or the first Dragon Age.

Running out of stamina is normal after 2/3 attacks (depends on the attack as well though), but you can easily refill it using :square: when the cooldown is free. Most of the time though, I used bleeding moves for double damage or AoE moves which would clear out the less strong enemies so I could focus on the stronger one(s)

Combat in this game is quite unique, yes. I remember how 'weird' and 'difficult' it was in the beginning, but after a while it gets easier (since you know what to do.) and it actually isn't that different from Star Wars: KoToR or the first Dragon Age.

Running out of stamina is normal after 2/3 attacks (depends on the attack as well though), but you can easily refill it using :square: when the cooldown is free. Most of the time though, I used bleeding moves for double damage or AoE moves which would clear out the less strong enemies so I could focus on the stronger one(s)

Thanks mate, guess I'll just stick with it and crack on!

lol, so it's hard in the beginning when you got little experience in the game, and easy near the end? That sounds pretty dumb! ;p

Yes (except for maybe the boss fight at the end of Chapter 14), the game becomes pretty easy, but it is because Alester and Mors finally meet up and work together.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I haven't got a clue what is going on, I'm just hitting buttons and hoping for the best, if anyone could explain I'd be grateful.

First impressions of this game are not good :(

Its a good idea to read the description of your abilities some of them should be used after the other (ex one ability causes bleeding another does 2x damage if the opponent bleeding)

Also try to use the right weapon for the job

No armor/leather = Cutting

Mail= Perforating

Heavy= Bludgeoning

The combat is odd at first but once you get the hang of it its not bad. When in doubt lower the difficulty.

• 4 months later...
the combat isn't that bad once you get used to it.

the problem is getting used to it...

im at the point where i shall get new recruits for the Watch.

When moving to the next city (chapter 7), im caught in a fight with 2 named and 3 nameless soldiers as Mort with a totally useless companion.

I play on easy and am dead, before i can even kill the first of the named enemies.

so far i found the combat weird and difficult but managed to win every fight (and always went to kill everybody to get max xp).

but this one...

no place to hide, no place to run and if i back up a bit, the 3 nameless goons just pull out X-bows and shoot me to death.

• 1 year later...