How is the game?

redzkill

If you like the books/show and don't mind the dragon age origins-like combat, you should get the game. I am on chapter 13 and so far I have really enjoyed the game.

That being said, I watch the show every week and liked Dragon Age Origins enough to platinum so my opinion is pretty biased.

it's not as bad as the reviews say but it's not perfect. (i'd give it a 6 out of 10) I've come across several bugs (nothing major or gamebreaking) and the fact that you switch characters every chapter takes some getting used to. the graphics/characters are not very polished looking and they all have weird stances (hands on hips). the game plays mostly linear with some exploration in the various areas. most of the NPCs just stand around looking straight ahead. I'm a big DAO fan so the combat doesn't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I haven't read the books, but I'm loving the HBO show. Will I like it?

Also, when is the story set? Is it during season one or two? Or a different time period? Finally, does the game have a purpose? Is it even worth playing?

The story is set during book 1 / season 1 of the HBO show.

The game has a purpose. It gives you an extra piece of story to enjoy alongside the books/tv show. In my humble opinion, the game is worth it for the story alone. The game is no 10/10 by far, but the story has a certain quality to it that not many games can match.

Story is definitely great, far from the cliches of the genre. It isn't about saving the kingdom as a rookie knight, but the personal agenda (and troubled past) of two worn-out veterans. A great twist a the end if you don't try figure it out so much, as I quicly understood what it was going te be about. As for the combat system, why all the hate ? KOTOR and DA had the very same.

im renting it, if you fast forward all the cut scenes and use the guide its definitely do-able in a weekend. but the best part of the game is the story, some of the cut scenes are wicked if you ask me. the sheer violence of some of it too, like the torture scene.. lol its brilliant

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of the first games i've ever played with the trophy guide next to me, so I don't know if it's that or it's just the way the game is but it seems like the game is taking forever to be over with. It is a pretty fun game, especially if you can over look the graphics and somewhat crappy fighting system, but I would have been pissed if I bought this day 1. I'd give the game about a 7/10.

• 5 months later...
I would only play it if your a fan of books. If you aren't you'll hate it.

Nonsense. Story and characters in this game are well-developed and can be fully enjoyed - even without knowing books / show.

I haven't read the books, but I'm loving the HBO show. Will I like it?(...)

Absolutely. I've never read a single one of the books but I have to admit I love the show. And this comes from someone who usually does not care for TV shows. It is a nice touch to have some main tracks from the excellent OST in the game - it adds greatly to the overall atmosphere. Sadly, you'll only encounter three characters from the show (Cersei Lannister, Varys, Joer Mormont).

I thought that the actual gameplay plays second fiddle to the story line, think of it more as an interactive episode than an action game and you'll enjoy.

Well if you like the series/books that is.

When playing for a quick plat on squire difficulty this might be the case for RPG experts. But as soon as you ramp up your setting to knight or lord - you're in real trouble without assigning targets to your party and using the appropriate skills.

Overall I'd say this is an underrated game and my personal rating is 7.5 /10 :applause:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was fully expecting this game to suck, given that its only fans were fanboys of the Ice and Fire stuff (which bored me to tears). But it turns out that this is actually a pretty good game. If they had fleshed out things a bit more, they would have had a real tour de force here.

EDIT: Well, after completing it, I'm not as excited now. The twists and turns in the story served only to make things more boring to me, and the combat really slogs late in the game (and it takes so long to have everyone draw their swords).

Edited by starcrunch061

• 2 weeks later...