Galaga Legions DX - Trophy Guide & Roadmap

Zetberg

http://i.imgur.com/NP7b5Ve.png

Roadmap

Overview:

• Estimated Trophy Difficulty: TBA (Personal Opinion: 3/10)

• Offline Trophies: 12 (9 (B), 2 (S), 1 (G))

• Online Trophies: 0

• Approximate time to 100%: 2.5-5 hours (depending on skill)

• Minimum Number of Playthroughs Needed: 9 Areas (5 levels each), 1 Championship (5 levels), 55 Time Attack levels

• Number of Missable Trophies: None

• Glitched Trophies: None

• Does difficulty affect trophies: Yes. Hard Difficulty needed for 'True Completionist' (G)

• Do cheat codes disable trophies: None available

Introduction:

Galaga Legions DX is finally here. Just like Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, this game is a remake of a great classic arcade game. The game features 2 main types of games: one focusing on typical arcade-scoring (Championship & Areas) and a Time Attack Mode. And as a little bonus that old-school gamers will surely love, you can choose between six skin variations.

All trophies are straightforward and aside from some tips on Hard Difficulty, you shouldn't really need a guide to get them.

General gameplay of the game (doesn't apply to Time Attack Mode):

Each Area has 5 levels which consist of several waves of enemies. All levels have a time-limit. Except for the 5th level of each Area, a level is complete if the time is up or when you destroy the last wave. If you have finished a level before the time-limit, the remaining time will be added to the 5th level of the Area. When the timer reaches 0.00 on the 5th level, the Area is complete.

Controls:

:ls: or D-pad - Fighter Movement

:l2: or :r2: - Rapid Fire

:l1: or :r1: - Switch Satellites (Fire Mode)

:rs: - Rapid Fire direction

:select: - Retry

Walkthrough:

Optional Step: Tutorial (5-10 minutes)

If you want to get used to the gameplay first, from the main menu select 'Play game' and 'Tutorial' at the bottom of the list. You won't earn any trophy but you will learn all the game mechanics.

Step 1: All 9 Areas on Hard Difficulty (1-2 hours)

Complete all Areas directly on Hard Difficulty. Even on Hard the game isn't too challenging. You may die a couple of times on the last Areas but otherwise, you shouldn't have too much trouble. You can also check 'True Completionist' description for some tips.

After this step you will get all trophies except 'Grand Champion' and 'Race Against Time'.

Step 2: Championship (10-30 minutes)

You are free to play the Championship on any difficulty. The levels in Championship are a bit longer but after completing all the Areas on Hard Mode, you should be pretty familiar with the game now. Once you're done, you will get the 'Grand Champion' trophy.

Step 3: Time Attack (1-2 hours)

This is the hardest and the most time-consuming part of the game. The Time Attack Mode contains every level of the game (even the tutorial ones). You can complete the levels in any order you want. Each level has a time-limit and when you have beaten all of them, you will earn the last trophy: ''Race Against Time'.

Closing notes:

Galaga Legions DX is a pretty easy 100%. Fans of the classic Galaga or Shoot 'em up in general will definitely love it. If you want to share tips, strategies, complaints, etc, feel free to comment. If you have really important remarks about this guide (e.g. better way to get a trophy), and I didn't reply on this thread, send me a private message.

Thank you for reading and have fun !

Edited by Zetberg
reuploaded banner

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/01.jpgArea 1 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 1!

Check True Completionist description.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/02.jpgArea 2 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 2!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/03.jpgArea 3 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 3!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/04.jpgArea 4 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 4!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/05.jpgArea 5 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 5!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/06.jpgArea 6 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 6!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/07.jpgArea 7 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 7!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/08.jpgArea 8 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 8!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/09.jpgArea 9 Clear (B)

Cleared Area 9!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/10.jpgGrand Champion (S)

Cleared Championship!

From the main menu, select 'Play Game' and Championship will be at the top of the list. Championship consists of 5 levels containing the hardest waves of all Areas. Therefore, Championship is a bit harder than any other Area (and also a bit longer).

However, you will start the Championship with a Galaga Trap (gives you additional satellites and support ships if destroyed). After the first wave, each time you lose a life, you will restart the wave with all the bonuses from the Galaga Trap.

Finally you are free to choose the difficulty so play on Easy and this should be a breeze. The trophy will be yours when you have beaten the Championship.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/11.jpgRace Against Time (S)

Completed all Time Attacks!

:tagdatetime:

From the main menu, select 'Play Game' and you will find Time Attack at the bottom of the list. Time Attack comprises every level of the game (including the Tutorial ones) and these levels are represented by boxes.

Like the name suggests, the goal of Time Attack is to beat levels under a certain time-limit. You can complete the Time Attacks in any order you want but be careful. If you don't beat the time-limit of a level, a screen will pop up and ask if you want to Continue or not. If you choose to continue, the level won't be counted. Unless you want to practice or see the next waves pattern, do not choose 'Continue'; just exit and retry.

When you successfully complete a level, its box will turn orange and be checked. The hardest Time Attack is the 5th level of Championship. Beat it and the rest will be a cakewalk. Complete all levels and you will receive this trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/992/12.jpgTrue Completionist (G)

Cleared all areas on hard difficulty!

:tagdifficulty:

From the main menu, select 'Play Game' and choose an Area. I suggest you go directly on Hard Difficulty. Aside from a few things (less lives and no Continue), the difficulty is pretty similar to the easier ones. You can complete the areas in any order you want. You will get this easy gold trophy once you have completed all areas on Hard Difficulty.

Here are some tips for Hard Difficulty (or in general for most):

• Switching satellites can save your life. You can stick to one mode but juggling between them is the key of survival on certain situation.

• Watch the thin luminous lines before a group of enemies appear. They describe the group pattern. Use them to anticipate the group location and/or movement.

• Aim for Galaga Bombs. If you destroy it near the bigger enemies, it will take them down instantly. This can save you a lot of time in Time Attack Mode.

http://i.imgur.com/TRP8d.jpg

• You will gain an extra life each time you score 250,000 points. Useful only on Hard Difficulty since you can't continue when you lose all your lives.

• When you are about to be hit by an enemy ship or bullet, the game will enter in bullet-time mode (screen zoom and slowing down). This is normally used to escape and avoid death. However you can use this to give yourself some breath and/or aim more easily for the bigger enemy ships. You can also use this to deplete the timer (more on that below).

• Sometimes it's better to complete a level by letting the timer run out. This is pretty useful on the 4th level of each Area since they end with a 'Boss Battle'. You can just dodge the enemies on a wave to waste some time but abusing the time-bullet system is also efficient (but risky). Indeed, in time-bullet mode, the whole action is slowed down but the timer runs at a normal pace. However, be careful. You must regain all your Speed (check the number on the bottom-left corner of the screen) before using the bullet-time again. Actually, you can complete any Area without firing a single missile but that's not funny.

• If you really struggle in an Area and if you have an internet connection for your PS3, you can watch the replay(s) of other players. From the main menu, select 'Scoreboards' then the Area you want. Choose any player and press :triangle: to watch his/her replay.

Note: Championship & Tutorial are not needed for this trophy.

Edited by Zetberg
Adding trophy tags

...even though it might be weird not using a stick and playing with a controller I think I am going to give this a look in the near future. Thanks for adding the information about classic Galaga players. I used to rock this arcade game! (by leaning against the game cabinet) :cool:

Oh wow... I am in great need of those tips. Turns out I suck at this game but love it. I'm gonna try again with some of your suggestions for hard mode.

Did you try pulling out a riot shield? :whistle:

Great guide Zetberg. :applause:

I can't believe I missed this title coming out because I love Galaga! Is it something an old arcade player would enjoy or would you call it a totally different game?

You should take a look at zer0tobackdown's review here. He will show different old-school skins through the review. You won't play all 8-bit-like but it's a nice touch.

Edited by Zetberg

You should take a look at zer0tobackdown's review here. He will show different old-school skins through the review. You won't play all 8-bit-like but it's a nice touch.

Yeah I couldn't tell what were the skins and what weren't. I am definitely interested but I don't know about the emphasis on time only on some levels. I don't want to have to rush through it for trophies especially being about a $10 US game for only a couple hours to fully complete and beat. After I get all trophies in something I have trouble picking it back up again. :(

Yeah I couldn't tell what were the skins and what weren't. I am definitely interested but I don't know about the emphasis on time only on some levels. I don't want to have to rush through it for trophies especially being about a $10 US game for only a couple hours to fully complete and beat. After I get all trophies in something I have trouble picking it back up again. :(

I understand. After you get 100%, the only replay value of this game is to aim for leaderboards.

Pretty easy to complete. I plan to finish up the time trials today. I didn't notice much difference in the number or speed of the Galaga between normal and hard mode - just that you get fewer lives and no continues in hard mode (but you really shouldn't need a continue).

I love the retro skins and often will use them instead of the default. This game has a lot of replayability for me seeing as how I still play the original about once a month.

Looking forward to other Namco generations titles! I'd like to see some of these given the generations treatment: Dig Dug, Xevious, and either Rally-X or Pole Position. I'm undecided about a Metro Cross update and definitely against a new version of Mappy.

Thanks Zetberg. Great guide and you helped me make the decision to get this game. I loved this game in arcades as a kid and the upgrades with HD are amazing. It's a blast to play and hopefully my daughter will actually play it too. I appreciate your time and effort you put into the guide even though we probably could have beaten the game without it, but it did help especially knowing about the time trial and the championship doesn't have to be on hard difficulty after a certain point. So thanks buddy, greatly appreciated. :applause:

Thanks Zetberg. Great guide and you helped me make the decision to get this game. I loved this game in arcades as a kid and the upgrades with HD are amazing. It's a blast to play and hopefully my daughter will actually play it too. I appreciate your time and effort you put into the guide even though we probably could have beaten the game without it, but it did help especially knowing about the time trial and the championship doesn't have to be on hard difficulty after a certain point. So thanks buddy, greatly appreciated. :applause:

Thank you very much. This game doesn't really needed a guide but tips are always good to know. I got the tips from trials & errors and I wanted people to save their time (not that it took me long to figure the tips out anyway :p).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you for this guide Zetberg. Your work here helped me decide to buy this game. I wasn't sure about it even i love original Galaga (Thanks to Namco Museum can still play it ;) ). Still, i think original one is much better because of capturing fighter feature, also there's less chaos around in first one.

Now i just need final time trial (challenge 5) to get 100%, so hardest time before me :)

I'd love to see other Namco Generations mixes, because pac-man DX is a blast.

Dig Dug DX? :)

• 1 year later...