Movie Based CRAP

I haven't heard a lot anything but poor remarks on this game, and after reading about this, I started thinking, why are movie based games so utterly terrible? Lack of production value? Lack of creativity? Too Linear? Then I thought hard, about the over all lack of quality new generation games seem to have! Why should I enjoy a point and click novel based WII game above a game like Resident Evil 5? The original RE games (until 4) were my favorite games! And then I realized Star Fox 64 is a lot more enjoyable to play than so many PS3 and 360 titles! A true shame, maybe this is opinion based purely and has nothing but fictitious "facts", but it's titles like G.I. Joe that make me wish I still had my N64, if I got one right now, I'd be like that damn kid on youtube : Hyper, Happy, and Spazzy, where as G.I. Hoe just makes me wanna hang myself after brutally slaughtering the team that developed thise horse shit! Along the line did we start caring only about HD Graphics and trophies and gave up on gameplay?

I don't even know what GI Joe is - I'm based in the UK, and can only assume that GI Joe was created for the magnanimous USA market lol.

But I hear ya. I still have my N64 - and both Mario Kart 64 & Goldeneye 007 are enjoyed once in a while. Heck, we even play South Park sometimes, as it's great fun when we're all pissed.

wipEout HD is probably the only game I can think of right now that has stunning graphics, excellent gameplay, and is actually difficult (like old school games were).

As much as I love trophies, in many ways I wish they were all excruciatingly hard to get. That would stop people from being trophy whores. It'd mean people buying games to enjoy them rather than to collect trophies. I have 71% in wipEout HD, which doesn't bother me... I'll still play it in five years when crap like GI Joe and Terminator 7 are being touted as 'games' lol.

~ squodge ~

@ TC have you played this game yet?

I will openly admit I haven't and won't, no Movie game is worth playing, even as a fan of a lot of them, lets face it, this utter horse crap shouldn't even be sold to us, years ago I appreciated the attempt, the saying goes nothing ventured, nothing gained, for Movie Based CRAP it should be, nothing ventured, everything gained

I will openly admit I haven't and won't, no Movie game is worth playing, even as a fan of a lot of them, lets face it, this utter horse crap shouldn't even be sold to us, years ago I appreciated the attempt, the saying goes nothing ventured, nothing gained, for Movie Based CRAP it should be, nothing ventured, everything gained

So if you haven't played it, how do you know it is crap?

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was pretty good too for a movie-based game & I do agree that G-Force was pretty fun as well & isn't an "easy" plat as one would think. Do not judge the book by its cover. ;)

Now if someone will write the guide for G.I. Joe everything would be alright in the world :p just need 3 more...

Edited by xYx1999

I am a definite trophy whore, however, there are many games that ive tried and they're so shitty ill quit playing them before platinum....movie games usually are crap...however there are also some that i dont think are bad like wolverine, Transformers rotl , and g force...ya i said g force wtf was i thinking.. however i also think u shouldnt say a game is crap til u play it.....for instance everyone says how good Red Faction is and i think its a big piece o shit.....everyones got likes and dislikes its kinda like debating infamous or prototype is better. thats all opinion, and everybody can have a different one.

^Amen.:D

To each his own, you have your opinion we have ours.

But before labeling it a "crap" game why not try it & judge it for yourself instead of judging it by what other people say. Just my 2 cents, don't spend it all at once. ;)

went and tried it, utter crap, but G-force was okay

Main problem with movie-based games is the turnaround time needed.

Movie based games usually have a shorter development period than your typical blockbuster game. While 'normal' games can push back their release date to apply polish, movie based games HAVE to come out around the same time as the movie hits the theaters. If it's late it results in a LARGE amount of lost sales, so it's either bring it out on time or you can't make back the money you spent on it.

Back in the day of the NES movie based games still sucked, but the development time required for the games was MUCH less than what's needed now. Your average 'good' game usually take 2-3 years from brainstorming to release.

Movie games take about 1 year, and most of the assets (graphics, music, etc) aren't available till later on. This means the games are rushed, poorly tested and usually fairly simple.

With the development time for new games taking longer and longer as we go into the next-next-gen consoles in a few years, I can see movie based games get worse and worse.

@Landail. Very insightful. I think this is why movie based games usually lack innovation. However, if a company sticks to tried and true gameplay mechanics, then it is possible for them to meet the time constraints and have a decent game. I think this applies to all of the examples given above.

Along the same lines, I just got through The Half Blood Prince. It was yet another decent movie based game. It wasn't absolutely great, but definitely worth playing.

On the whole, I agree that movie based games are usually bad, although there have been plenty that aren't. There are also WAY more games that are bad that have nothing to do with movies at all. Those are almost more sad because, as mentioned above, the companies that produce them don't have the same time constraints.

I think some of the criticism of this game is a bit off base. This game has a definite old-school feel to it, and that was the developers' intention. In the IGN review, the reviewer says the graphics are very "retro," but then goes on to say that that's a bad thing with visuals. Mega Man 9?

Yeah, the game play might be repetitive, but most games are.

I honestly think that most of the complaints about this game are from people that never experienced games from the 8-bit era. This game really reminds me of Ikari Warriors. So the nostalgia of playing a game like that again, plus the nostalgia of "playing" with GI Joes again made for a pretty fun experience for me. Was it a great game? No way. But in my opinion it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with games like Leisure Suit Larry and others.

Wanted, Wolverine, Monsters Vs Aliens....id rather play those 3 than something like Damnation.

I havent played G.I. Joe yet but if its better than damnation thatll be good enough for me to have a crack at it.

The 3 games u named along with G-force all surpass "movie-game" expectations.

With regard to Gi-Joe specifically , It's def more fun than damnation, which isnt saying a whole lot, cause damnation woulda been a terrible ps2 game imo.

LOL @ primebeaver. Someone on another thread was asking if it had a good storyline. I replied there is no storyline, unless the plot is to be annoyed to death by Stalker, Breaker, and General Hawk. I would shoot Breaker and Stalker if I could. They are like Charlie Brown's teacher by the time you finish Arctic: wah wa-wa wah-wah wah wah wah.

Ice Age 3 wasn't a terrible game either... nor was UP. HP6 wasn't bad, but if you're a real Potter freak like me it may seem lacking -- mind you HP4 was terrible in comparison.

Monsters vs. Aliens was undoubtedly one of the best movie-based games that I've played, albeit the final boss was a bit anti-climactic. I've yet to try G-Force but I've heard that it's quite good too.

And yes, I watched all these movies before playing their respectful games.

I'm sure I'll play G.I. Joe eventually since I've already seen the movie.

Oh yeah Quantum of Solace didn't disappoint either.

Edited by smartdude1212

Ice Age 3 wasn't a terrible game either... nor was UP. HP6 wasn't bad, but if you're a real Potter freak like me it may seem lacking -- mind you HP4 was terrible in comparison.

Monsters vs. Aliens was undoubtedly one of the best movie-based games that I've played, albeit the final boss was a bit anti-climactic. I've yet to try G-Force but I've heard that it's quite good too.

And yes, I watched all these movies before playing their respectful games.

I'm sure I'll play G.I. Joe eventually since I've already seen the movie.

Oh yeah Quantum of Solace didn't disappoint either.

Rofl and unlike a lot of people you use large words and intelligent terms when you speak. I'm playing G-Force for the second time (A third time to follow at a later date) and it's great, as we speak I'm kicking some Waffle iron butt.

Up! was quite fun and Ice Age 3 was mediocre, nothing special about it. as for Monsters Vs. Aliens... Bob levels were just terrible, Ginormica was meh and the missing Link was awesome.

I agree about HP4 though, haven't done much with HP6 yet but the potions remind me of HP2 for the PS1 where you had to press the corresponding button when it appeared on the screen except more advanced.

Nevertheless I'd rather play a crappy movie game over Call of Duty anyday.

• 9 months later...