Did Insomniac Patch Fuse To Make AI Allies More Stupid?

poetic_justice_

I read the difficulty thread and people are complaining about human partners being dumber than the AI on Echelon maps. I get that, but the AI partners are ridiculously ineffective, and I'm wondering if that was always the case. I have lost count of how many times the AI is right beside me when I go down, but then RUNS AWAY! Consequently, I bleed out when there is no reason for me to bleed out.

The AI does not come anywhere near the objective on weapons cache or High Value Target rounds, remaining on the other side of the map. In fact, whether in Campaign or Echelon, the AI is slower than molasses to even approach an objective. The three of them hang back like boys at a middle school dance, gluing their butts to the rear wall and only occasionally venturing forward when accompanied by their friends. I tend to aggressively push on enemies, but the AI offers no support for my playstyle. Hell, they won't even come over to revive me despite the fact I've cleared out 75% of any given area singlehandedly. That, in my estimate, is unacceptable, weak game design. Resistance 2, Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank... none of them had such spineless AI "assistance".

What this translates to is lack of options. You are forced to conform to the AI's style of play, which is "Staple your butt to the wall farthest from the enemy and hope for the best. When foes rush, you have no where to fall back, but hey, at least we'll all die together." The AI does not conform to your plan of attack; you must conform to the AI's plan of defense. I hate it. Other issues with the AI include:

All AI is useless when it comes to clearing out Snipers and Infiltrators. They do next to nothing.

AI Izzy rarely throws out Med Beacons, and when she does, she places them extremely close to her position (which is at the rear, away from the fighting).

AI Dalton occasionally revives. You just have to make an appointment a week in advance. He will use his Magshield to protect the objective every other Wednesday, so that's a good time to play your game, if any one is wondering.

AI Naya is useless. Of the four characters, she is the least likely to revive me and most likely to run away, regardless of whether enemies have swarmed my position or I'm completely clear.

AI Jacob is the least skilled character (no shield, no cloak, no Med Beacon) and yet has consistently been the most useful of the bunch. At least he revives me and actually shoots enemies.

It is sad to say, but I have reached the point now where I am leveling all characters to 35 only for trophies. After that, I will play strictly as Naya; the less I have to rely on any allies, AI or human, the more likely I am to platinum this game. That is an ironic thing to say about a game that was designed from the ground up to be a co-op experience.

Edited by poetic_justice_