Love the concept, hate the controls.

Sunlit Garden

That about sums up my feelings with the game. It's beautiful and I love the concept and how the sounds/music tie into it, but I just really hate the sixaxis controls. I have trouble steering the petal where I want it to go and I always end up missing the flowers. Plus, I get kind of motion sick playing this game. :(

I've made it to the purple flower level and I think that's as far as I can go. The precise steering needed to get the petals under the towers is frustrating me.

I think the game is brilliant too and I love what they've tried to do with the controls.

Sixaxis itself is what I hate though, not just with this game. With big games like GTA IV, you might get a Sixaxis feature thrown in just for the sake of it but in my opinion, it never adds anything to the game. It's just an annoying fad that I'm never going to willingly use over regular controls.

Then you have Sixaxis-focused mini-games like FLOWER which are made annoying by the fact that Sixaxis sucks.

I would have preferred Sony to save the money they wasted developing that and just let me play PS2 games or automatically update my Trophies or something.

• 3 months later...

I love the six axis controls. I think hate's a bit strong of a word. They aren't that bad. They're a bit counter-intuitive, but once you realize that, the controls are a piece of cake. I also love the PS Move.

I believe it adds to the game for players like myself. However, I completely agree with you guys on the fact that there needs to be an option to opt out and use regular controls. I can see how it's frustrating to be forced to play a game with fixed controls. Every game should have customizable controls/buttons; the ability to turn on/off six-axis would be very nice.

They could had simply programmed the Select button to trigger between two different styles of gameplay in both Flower and flOw to save some frustration for those who don't want to use six-axis.

--Just as I feel you should be able to put your own music in this game from the main room. Honestly, I didn't care much for the hyper-extended (Drawn out notes...) orchestral experience; but I didn't hate it either. It was too synthy and mathematically manufactured to sound good after a while of playing it.

Edited by Oxa

• 1 month later...

I didn't find the controls that bad in the game. It just takes a bit of time to get used to, just like it was for me when I played flOw. I thought the controls were horrible when I first picked it up. I went back the next day and was able to play just fine. After that I went onto Flower, which basically is the same controls and felt natural to me switching over.

It does suck for people who get motion sickness though, not exactly the type of game you want to be playing if you do.

I didn't have a problem with the controls until I started trying for the Pure trophy today. Maybe it is just the level design, but I felt that it was constantly forcing me in a direction opposite to what I was inputting with the controller. For the rest of the game, the floaty imprecise controls were appropriate. Bottom line, if you're putting a no damage trophy in the game, the controls need to be tighter.

I didn't have a problem with the controls until I started trying for the Pure trophy today. Maybe it is just the level design, but I felt that it was constantly forcing me in a direction opposite to what I was inputting with the controller. For the rest of the game, the floaty imprecise controls were appropriate. Bottom line, if you're putting a no damage trophy in the game, the controls need to be tighter.

I actually thought that too, but I just chalked it up to the way I was holding the controller, guess not.

It still wasn't that bad though, since basically you just don't even move and let the wind just gently guide you through it and it's very easy to dodge everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Totally agree on this. I easily miss flowers all the time. And I have to be very careful on stage 5. Beautiful and stunning game but the controls are difficult. They're unique though and I kinda see why they wanted to use the SIXAXIS.

I'm struggling so much with the Pure trophy because of the controls :(

Edited by DerbyStar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I don't think traditional controls would work for this game so personally I don't mind them. It would feel too much like a game if you were using the sticks, seems a weird thing to say but Flower works by being incredibly minimalist and more of an interactive experience than a game in the traditional sense. Being imprecise almost feels like the point of it. It's only really when going for Pure that the controls can get frustrating. I've noticed big improvements in the tilt controls for the PS4 version when compared to PS3; much easier to control now than it was previously, presumably due to improved hardware.