For those worried about getting 100% with the 'free' download

Thali

So as I gather from comments in almost every thread here, you cannot 100% flOw without the expansion, however you cannot install the expansion with an already updated version of the original flOw game.

This meaning, you would have to delete the original flOw game, and then redownload and install it along with the DLC expansion before applying the patch.

Problem being, those of us with the limited time free copy of the game are unable to redownload the game as once the free period is up, it is removed from the Download List.

However, I came across this post from the community manager on the TGC forums:

Anyways, the free download of flOw should show up again soon, as here is what Sony does with their servers whenever uploading a free version of a product:

1. Sony uploads the free version of the product and creates the product page.

2. Sony makes the original item invisible and switches it with the free version.

3. Sony then has the free item available for the duration of the promotion and removes the product from the store.

4. Apparently Sony completely removes the product and product page from the PlayStation Store, to make sure people don't get it for free if there would be a glitch in the system, making it so you can't download the game.

5. After a day or two, Sony re-uploads the file and it appears in the download lists of everyone again. (This would be what stage you were in at time of the posting.)

6. People can now download the free copy of the game and be happy.

The file that Sony uses for the flOw expansion includes the original game in it, so just downloading the expansion should be good enough.

Re-download and re-install the expansion and you should be alright.

Source - thatgamecompany forum ~ View topic - expansion/trophy glitch

Whether it's true or not is yet to be seen, but thought I'd at least redirect the information, as I've already seen a few people edge away from installing the game in fears of not being able to 100% it.

And for the rest of us... it's quite steep having to pay for the game bundle pack rather than (or in some cases, as well as) the expansion pack for a single bronze trophy, something that could hopefully be avoided.

Hi guys,

Thanks for trying out the game and sorry to hear you're having trouble! We're currently talking with Sony to try to figure out how to fix the problem and we'll let you know when we come to a resolution.

John

Source - thatgamecompany forum ~ View topic - Addon will not install

Edited by Thali

I hope this is true, but he says the original [priced] game is removed. I went into my PSN Store, and the copy of the game I paid for is available in the downloads... Time will tell.

...as I've already seen a few people edge away from installing the game in fears of not being able to 100% it!

The funny thing is that those people CAN buy the expansion and install it fine. If you have the game downloading not-installed (sitting in the "bubble") and install it [but do NOT run it yet] (OR have installed the game and never patched it), you can still buy the expansion and install it before patching, then the game will be installed properly, and you can get all the trophies the normal way.

I hope this is true, but he says the original [priced] game is removed. I went into my PSN Store, and the copy of the game I paid for is available in the downloads... Time will tell.

The funny thing is that those people CAN buy the expansion and install it fine. If you have the game downloading not-installed (sitting in the "bubble") and install it [but do NOT run it yet] (OR have installed the game and never patched it), you can still buy the expansion and install it before patching, then the game will be installed properly, and you can get all the trophies the normal way.

Is the glitched install still possible with the free copy? I have 5 of those bubbles sitting on my XMB and I want to make sure I can 100% once I start. I already bought the DLC, but I haven't installed anything yet.

Is the glitched install still possible with the free copy? I have 5 of those bubbles sitting on my XMB and I want to make sure I can 100% once I start. I already bought the DLC, but I haven't installed anything yet.

Someone has tested and confirmed 100% will work with the free copy!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/flow/37947-flow-valentines-day-question-2.html#post547251

He didn't have five uninstalled copies sitting around :p so he didn't test the glitch, but I would imagine it will work fine.

For those jumping into the post without reading anything else: if you PATCHED the game, you can NOT install the expansion without buying the full bundle.

Someone has tested and confirmed 100% will work with the free copy!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/flow/37947-flow-valentines-day-question-2.html#post547251

He didn't have five uninstalled copies sitting around :p so he didn't test the glitch, but I would imagine it will work fine.

For those jumping into the post without reading anything else: if you PATCHED the game, you can NOT install the expansion without buying the full bundle.

Well, I can confirm the glitched install works. Now, how can I get Memory? I know it has to be a legit install in order for those "camera food" to show up, but if I can't install the expansion after I patch the game how could I do it?

I installed the expansion first then installed full game then patch and the expansion isn't working did I do it wrong? Damn it they are going to re enable the free version? I just paid for the 9 dollar bundle, damn it!

That causes a glitched install. Memory doesn't work and Gaia and Gratitude won't unlock with it. It will unlock Giant, Vegetarian, Peace, and Beauty though. Don't do this for the TSL though ;)

I haven't figured out a way to do a normal install with the DLC added on yet.

Although a free copy of flOw has yet to re-appear on the Downloads List, don't lose hope too soon. It seems as though they're in talks with Sony to get this issue resolved, as they are aware of the installation problems this promotion has brought forth regarding the DLC.

Hi guys,

Thanks for trying out the game and sorry to hear you're having trouble! We're currently talking with Sony to try to figure out how to fix the problem and we'll let you know when we come to a resolution.

John

Source - thatgamecompany forum ~ View topic - Addon will not install

Unless you have little regard for money, I'd suggest giving these guys the benefit of the doubt and wait a week or two before purchasing the bundle purely for the Memory trophy. You never know what's round the corner.

Even if it did reappear I heard the 3 dollar expansion will not work with the free version of flow, you have to buy the 9 dollar bundle, that's how this catch works. However if you buy the 3 dollar expansion and it doesn't work then you need the 8 dollar game adding up to 11 dollars, 2 dollars more than the bundle.

Edited by Lord Tony

Even if it did reappear I heard the 3 dollar expansion will not work with the free version of flow, you have to buy the 9 dollar bundle, that's how this catch works. However if you buy the 3 dollar expansion and it doesn't work then you need the 8 dollar game adding up to 11 dollars, 2 dollars more than the bundle.

That's not true at all, where have you heard this? Plenty of people have installed the 3 dollar expansion right after the free game, people from this very forum infact. As long as you haven't updated your game to the trophy patch before trying to install it, you're fine.

That's not true at all, where have you heard this? Plenty of people have installed the 3 dollar expansion right after the free game, people from this very forum infact. As long as you haven't updated your game to the trophy patch before trying to install it, you're fine.

Where have I heard it? Search these forums and playstation 3 forums.

Where have I heard it? Search these forums and playstation 3 forums.

Very helpful, thank you.

These people are trying to install the expansion after having updated their original game. Whether it was paid or not is irrelevant, you simply cannot install the expansion with a previously updated original flOw game. The only current solution is to delete flOw and re-download / install it, then the expansion, and THEN update it.

Strictly speaking, there is only one version of the original game, it is STILL the same game regardless of how you got it, paid or free. The free copy just simply isn't available for download anymore, and _that_ is the problem that people that have downloaded it for free face right now.

All I was suggesting is that people be aware that the issue is known, and they've stated that they are working on a resolution before anyone feels forced into paying for the bundle, thinking there are no alternatives.

*IF* they ever do actually re-add the free copy back to the download list, you will be able to install both a proper and glitched-install. The proper install allows you to obtain 100% with it.

I'm sure TGC is doing the best effort they can to get it back in, but do you actually think Sony is going to budge because of it? :eek:

*IF* they ever do actually re-add the free copy back to the download list, you will be able to install both a proper and glitched-install. The proper install allows you to obtain 100% with it.

I'm sure TGC is doing the best effort they can to get it back in, but do you actually think Sony is going to budge because of it? :eek:

I'm with you on that! You just never know though. We could possibly even see an update fix from TGC to resolve the botched install issues altogether.

Edited by Thali

rag doll kung fu was paid for by sprint for one week. no clue why flOw was free but it wasn't paid for by a big company like sprint. that's why rdkf is the full working game and flOw has the patch issue. the code was intended for free for one day for those who were "lucky" enough to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do they remove this from the download list, but the free SPRINT rag doll Kung fu is still in my download list?

Maybe it's because RDKF sucks and flOw doesn't.

Because they want you to buy the 9 dollar bundle just to get the screen shot trophy. Thatgamecompany is a parasite just like you can be a parasite in flOw, coincidence?

Because they want you to buy the 9 dollar bundle just to get the screen shot trophy. Thatgamecompany is a parasite just like you can be a parasite in flOw, coincidence?

I understand you are frustrated about this, and it does suck for sure.

However I think it was nice of TGC to do in the first place, and dont think they "schemed" to make you pay for the bundle initially. I think most people (perhaps not on this site, hehe, but avg. gamers in general) are likely to just play it for free and move on without caring about 100%.