"Fatigue" Feature will force you to stop playing?

Link:

Final Fantasy XIV boosts fatigue for smaller gameplay sessions ? Scrawl

Square Enix wants you to play Final Fantasy XIV for a long time, that’s a given with any online, subscription-based game. However, Square doesn’t want you playing for hours upon hours during the day; Enter the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems.

“We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play,” producer Hiromichi Tanaka told Famitsu.com during Gamescom last week. “Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.”

This most likely won’t stop players who like to play longer from cutting their time back. So what about them?

“We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.”

However, if early reports of just how drastic the fatigue system really is are to be believed, Square Enix may have a problem on their hands. Apparently, fatigue rises fifty percent within two hours and takes about two days to go back to zero. That means that playing for four hours would mean you’d have to stop playing for two days. Not very ideal for an MMORPG that charges a monthly fee.

If this is true and stays in place, there will definitely be some sort of uproar from players. We’ll see what happens come release.

I don't know about this. Sounds wrong, I don't want to have to switch characters everytime I play.

Link:

Final Fantasy XIV boosts fatigue for smaller gameplay sessions ? Scrawl

Square Enix wants you to play Final Fantasy XIV for a long time, that’s a given with any online, subscription-based game. However, Square doesn’t want you playing for hours upon hours during the day; Enter the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems.

“We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play,” producer Hiromichi Tanaka told Famitsu.com during Gamescom last week. “Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.”

This most likely won’t stop players who like to play longer from cutting their time back. So what about them?

“We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.”

However, if early reports of just how drastic the fatigue system really is are to be believed, Square Enix may have a problem on their hands. Apparently, fatigue rises fifty percent within two hours and takes about two days to go back to zero. That means that playing for four hours would mean you’d have to stop playing for two days. Not very ideal for an MMORPG that charges a monthly fee.

If this is true and stays in place, there will definitely be some sort of uproar from players. We’ll see what happens come release.

I don't know about this. Sounds wrong, I don't want to have to switch characters everytime I play.

It's not ur character gets fatigue. From what i've heard the fatigue is for the "class". So say you leveled archer for 4 hrs and its fully fatigued you can change to conjurer and you'll be fine... until you play conjurer for 4 hrs then that will be fatigued. If this really is the case. I see it getting changed very quickly cause its gonna piss alot of ppl off... including me.

It's not ur character gets fatigue. From what i've heard the fatigue is for the "class". So say you leveled archer for 4 hrs and its fully fatigued you can change to conjurer and you'll be fine... until you play conjurer for 4 hrs then that will be fatigued. If this really is the case. I see it getting changed very quickly cause its gonna piss alot of ppl off... including me.

lol, yeah it sounds like a lot of headache either way. Hopefully, this won't happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the characters were not going to be lvl based? If so, people will be switching classes on a regular basis, no need to force it by making fatgue.

Here is Tanaka calling the Fatigue system"rumors"

Link:

Tanaka addresses Final Fantasy XIV fatigue rumors ? Scrawl

Final Fantasy XIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka has said in a Twitter update that the recent “fatigue” system discussion in the upcoming MMORPG is nothing but “fabricated remarks”.

Our earlier report, based off a Sankaku Complex (NSFW) post, touched on a Famitsu.com interview where it was apparently said fatigue in Final Fantasy XIV rises fifty percent in two hours – meaning players would have to stop playing two days for it to go back to zero.

Tanaka has debunked those reports.

“Foreign sites have lots of false rumors,” Tanaka wrote. “They throw together words and fabricate remarks. Then Japanese sites take this and further [falsify it through] mistranslation. The fatigue point criticism has absolutely nothing to do with the actual [system] and is just full of wild ideas.”

And here is Nobuaki Komoto explaining what the fatigue system is for.

Link

Komoto explains Final Fantasy XIV’s fatigue system ? Scrawl

Final Fantasy XIV director Nobuaki Komoto has stepped up and responded to recent complaints of the upcoming MMORPG’s ‘fatigue’ system. This follows producer Hiromichi Tanaka’s recent statement claiming talk on the system was nothing but “fabricated remarks”. According to Komoto, it’s all about balance.

“First off, the main concept behind FFXIV is allowing those players with little time on their hands to play effectively, and game balance is based off of that. Furthermore, it is being designed to not give those with more time on their hands to play an unfair advantage. Because of that, systems such as Guardian’s Favor (a bonus to Guildleves) have been implemented to make leveling in the short-term easier than leveling in the long-term,” Komoto said on the Japanese Final Fantasy XIV beta site.

“To achieve this balance, the amount of possible skill/experience points earned after a certain period of time has a threshold. Think of it as real-life ‘fatigue’ from working at improving your skills via battle.”

Your time to earn experience is limited, however, it’s a greater amount of time than originally rumored. Rather than have your fatigue rise fifty percent within two hours, it’ll instead run on a different timer.

“Within the first eight hours of play, you can earn 100% experience. The seven hour period following will see your possible experience gradually approach zero.”

“This system is on a weekly timer. After a week has passed since you began skilling that particular weapon, the timer will reset. It will start anew when you skill up again.”

“Any experience earned past that point is saved as “surplus.” There is surplus for each class, and if you begin to see it please consider playing another class and adjust accordingly. However, experience points are not specific to any class and therefore the decrease in experience points is not affected by changing classes.”

Fifteen hours a week doesn’t really sound like my cup of tea. I’m not a heavy on MMORPGs, but I’ll need at least twenty. Think they’ll change it anytime soon?

“That’s how the system stands as of right now.”

Alright, then.

this really pisses me off. im not a 2-6 hr a day player. i probally clock 15 or more hrs a day this feature is going to drive me insane. so instead of focusing on a weapon i want to use. im going to be forced to use everything. because i will force everything to its limit.... retarded. not going to help the worthless casual players that will never have anything to do with the endgame. i dont mean sometimes fight a big mob endgame. i mean the linkshells (w/e called in this 1) that 30 people stay up 3 days to get what they need done. the real players are going to be held back cause of weak players.... god damn n00b loveing crap going around these days.

This is something I found on one of the 14 forums that may explain it a bit better. In the end this may work out fine once it's tweaked.

There is a lot of scattered information and mis-information scattered about in various threads. I'll take it upon myself to gather and explain it in a calm manner. I will try to take a neutral approach in this and point out pros and cons.

Why does surplus exist?

Firstly, the concept for FINAL FANTASY XIV was to design a system of character progression that offers meaningful advancement for those with limited time to dedicate to playing. We did not want to create a game that forced people to play for hours on end to see their efforts rewarded. To that end, in addition to the Guardian's Aspect and guildleve systems, we introduced a means of apportioning swifter advancement to shorter periods of play.

How does it work?

In order to achieve this balance, we calculated a value for the amount of skill or experience points that could be earned in a one-hour period. This theoretical value represents an hour spent engaged solely in combat, levequests, or any other activities that earn skill or experience points, and sets a threshold delimiting how many of these points can be earned in a period of play.

What this means is they took the amount of exp that you could earn in an hour in what appears to be in continuous combat with no resting, running, or recovery in between. (When you read this, think merit party).

These thresholds are regulated by a one-week timer that begins counting down the instant you earn skill/experience points. After a week has passed, the thresholds will reset,

This amount of exp (not time) counts down with every point of exp that you earn on each class.

For the first eight thresholds during this week-long period, players will receive skill/experience points at the maximum rate possible. The actual amount of time spent reaching these thresholds is not significant. ... so long as the total amount earned is below the eighth threshold value. For the subsequent seven thresholds, players will earn skill/experience points at a gradually decreasing rate, eventually reaching a rate of zero.

What does this mean?

Lets take a hypothetical experience value. Lets say that if you were in a pure grind state,like you found an uninterrupted field and went at it with a vengeance without needing to stop for hp or mana. you just ran from mob to mob and slaughtered them. Let us say the maximum amount of exp/hr you could get is 10,000/hr. this is the size of each threshold determined by SE. I'll break the math out in chart format for TLDR people.

Maximum EXP/hr: 10,000/hr

Threshold size: 10,000 exp.

Amount of exp you get 100% exp gain: 80,000 exp

After that it decreases over the next 70,000 exp

After that you cease to gain exp on that class.

So, it's a new week and you have a full 80,000 exp that your getting 100% for. Oh no! you killed a plague rat! you got 348 exp! You now have 79,652 exp remaining of 100% exp gain, and 70,000 exp of reduced exp gain.

That is how it works. Time only comes into a factor during SE's calculations of what the theoretical maximum exp/hr actually is.

How does this effect me?

If you are in a straight grinding scenario, you will only get maximum exp for 8 hours of continuous nonstop fighting. Lets face it though, this is the real world. You will have to rest for hp/mana. You will stop to take a short bio break/food. You will talk to people. You will head back to town. You will warp back to the crystal. You will run around aimlessly. You want to advance the story line. You want to check out the shops.

What SE is trying to prevent is an Aion style grind where you log in. Kill monsters all day and log out. You skip the entire journey going for that end game goal. You forget about the town, you forget about helping friends and grouping, you don't stop to smell the flowers and appreciate what the game designers have created.

But I have to wait a week to get back to full exp?!

Every week you will get automatically pushed back to a fresh slate. however,

the reduced rate will also gradually recover while players are engaged in activities that do not yield skill/experience points. In this manner, it is possible for the threshold value to reset completely, even before the completion of the one-week timer.

This means that while you are browsing bazaars, talking to NPCs, even taking a food/bio break, your exp number slowly fills back up. We do not know the rate, but just like your hp comes back when resting, your 79,652 exp that you were at slowly trickles back up to the cap of 80,000.

But we hit surplus at level 14 in the beta!!! it was so soon!!@!

The beta experience gains were inflated from what you will see in the release of the game this caused you to go through the 80,000 exp threshold pool at a faster rate than intended.

There are several reasons why many people believe that these features were only recently implemented:

- Leading into Beta 3, operation hours were extended, making it possible to play more often during the span of a week.

- To encourage players to form guidleve parties in Beta 3, skill and experience point rewards for guildleves were significantly increased.

- The process that reduced the amount of skill/experience points awarded for weak enemies attacking in groups was unintentionally removed at the start of Beta 3. (This issue has been addressed.)

That last reason in particular was the biggest cause for players running up against the threshold penalty, with characters earning far more skill/experience points than we anticipated.

This is just xp for physical level? so even after you hit the 'wall' can you get class points still? or are both of them going to be effected

There is a threshold for BOTH class and physical exp. These values are calculated seperately and as people in the beta were going yellow in class exp well before physical, it appears that the class threshold is currently less than physical.

The experience point threshold, however, is unrelated to class, and switching classes will have no effect on the decreasing rate of earnable experience.

We also plan to improve experience point reduction rates, even more so than for skill points, considering the threshold is unaffected when changing class.

I hope this helps explain it a little better. If I am unclear on anything please let me know and I will update this.

*I picked 80,000 out of a hat. I don't know what the actual number is.

slightly less annoyed but only slightly. lvling up my fav part of rpgs i enjoy nothing more than grinding out lvls from time i wake up till i pass out on people. dont get me wrong love story and all that other stuff. but hadd 10 lvl 75 on ff11 and i read every bit of story from start till i quit. still dont like the idea of being held back from lvling.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm one of those people that enjoys switching it up often when it comes to classes (did so in FFXI). So this won't have any effect on me. That and I probably play 7.5 hours a day, so every two days (every day on the weekend since I'm off work) I have to switch classes. Okay, fine by me. :)

I don't play MMO's to level up fast (though I tend to anyway), never seen the point in it. Everyone gets to cap sooner or later. I enjoy finding ways to make money and controlling the auction house in MMO's, that's what I've done in every one I've played, and what I'll be doing in FFXIV.

I can't think of anything nice to say...really can't do anything but wait.

I have been reading about a lot of players finding the game considerably easier to play with a controller vs. keyboard+mouse, which sounds at least a little positive for the ps3 release or maybe it just means it was poorly designed...I can't tell.

I have been reading about a lot of players finding the game considerably easier to play with a controller vs. keyboard+mouse, which sounds at least a little positive for the ps3 release or maybe it just means it was poorly designed...I can't tell.

You have to remember the SE is a Japanese company and keyboard/mouse controls are not a japanese way to play games. They have always leaned away from how americans like to do things so of course the controller is gonna be a better way to play the game. the biggest problem we've been having with the mouse is that its a software mouse so the lag is absolutely horrendous. But they just came out and said that for release there will be a hardware mouse so the lag will be a non factor anymore. Now they just need to fix the UI lag issues and we'll be all set.

They started out optimizing it for PS3 and have since worked on significantly improving the PC UI.

Considering the growth and change that FFXI underwent in the first six months alone, I would expect the PS3 users to be pretty well off once they get to play.

That's how FFXI was, I personally had no problem with it. FFXI was my first MMORPG, so I thought that was how they all were, so I got used to it.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been playing since CE release, and can say that "Fatigue" is almost none existant. I've only hit it once in all the time I've been playing. You have to be playing a single class for a LONG time for it to kick in. This system has been the least thing complained about in the game.

Yep. It's hardly an issue at all.

There are a lot of problems with the game right now, fatigue is not one of them.

I have quite a few friends with multiple classes at 30+. lol