Is this worth it?

I recently bought this game for 1.50€ in a local used stuff store, due to knowing i could sell it for 5€-15€ easily.

But now I'm curious to try it, I never played a final fantasy before nor any JPRG or "JPRGish" game, so my question is, is this worth playing?

Also, is the plat easy obtainable even if I don't know much about the game? Since I'm a 100% completionist, don't want to risk having an incomplete game around my list :/

I recently bought this game for 1.50€ in a local used stuff store, due to knowing i could sell it for 5€-15€ easily.

But now I'm curious to try it, I never played a final fantasy before nor any JPRG or "JPRGish" game, so my question is, is this worth playing?

Also, is the plat easy obtainable even if I don't know much about the game? Since I'm a 100% completionist, don't want to risk having an incomplete game around my list :/

Final Fantasy 13 was my first in the series. Most people who played the series were a disappointed that the story line was too linear for their liking, but I didn't mind.

I quite enjoyed the game,except for one of the characters' really annoying voice. The plat is fairly easy but be prepared to grind for xp. I had fun grinding for xp trying to defeat the various creatures. The graphics is pretty decent too.

Pretty much the same here. It's not an all-time favorite of mine or anything but I definitely enjoyed it. Opinion seems very divided on this game though. The platinum is not hard but quite time-consuming. Expect to spend around 125 hours on it.

Some things to be aware of going into it:

1. The first half of the game is extremely linear. It opens up a bit towards the end.

2. The playable characters are all flawed and/or annoying in various ways. These flaws, however, make sense in the context of the story.

3. The battle system focuses on assigning different battle roles to party members and strategically switching between roles. Although you can mash your way through a decent portion of the game without learning the system's subtleties, you'll find it more interesting, and the endgame much easier, if you don't.

Getting this game for less than a fiver is a steal and well worth your time. I'd say give it a go. Long-time Final Fantasy and RPG fan here and I enjoyed it a lot, despite it deviating from the usual Final Fantasy formula, but since this is your first time playing anything of the sort I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Yes, the platinum is well obtainable, just takes a bit of time investment.

All you need to do to avoid a second playthrough is not sell any treasure you find. Explore a lot, to pick up accessories and whatnot. During end-game, there's a trophy relating to holding every accessory once and some cannot be gotten at this point, so if you sell them earlier, you have no chance of getting them again. Simply keep everything you find, and enjoy the game until the late chapters, where it opens up and you can start trophy hunting.

Enjoy. :)

If you've never played a Final Fantasy game before, then you'll love this game. Most of the hate comes from longtime Final Fantasy fans. The game really shows what the PS3 is capable of in terms of graphics, and although the game is linear about 3/4 of the way through the main story, you'll enjoy what it has to offer.

Since the game is so linear at the start, you won't have to worry about missing anything. Just make sure you don't sell any of your accessories, and you'll be fine. Even if you make the mistake of selling an accessory, you can always get it again despite it being a super tedious method of upgrading and dismantling other accessories of the same group. As long as you're willing to put in 90+ hours into the game, the (P) shouldn't be too hard, even for someone new at JRPGs. There are several guides available online about every single little detail in this game by now, so don't worry if you feel stuck.

Of course it's worth it! And the fact that this will be your 1st FF will only make it better. :)

It's not a hard game, FF13 was my first FF/RPG game as well, and i did pretty well. The plat is not hard at all, just time consuming. Just give it a try, i was skeptical about playing it but after i did... i do not regret it, it's a beautiful story with beautiful graphics and memorable characters and music.

• 2 months later...

It's a great game and I'm a FF fan since SNES days. I'm actually still working on my plat...it takes forever. DON'T SELL ANY COMPONENTS OR ACCESSORIES!!

The sequel, FF XIII-2, is also worth a go after you beat it and I'm sure you can pick it up cheap. Haven't tried the final game of the trilogy. It got pretty luke-warm reviews, but I suppose I'll play it for closure.

I'm convinced guys, just started it an hour ago. I read many reviews, and it's true, it is linear, but i'm enjoying the graphics so far, they're really cool in this game.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It definitely opens up toward the end (as many reviews say). My first FF was X, but I have beaten the offline main entries and a few sequels/prequels/spinoffs. It's not as memorable as most, but if your expectations aren't high, you'll still find it to be a quality game worth playing. There are definitely worse FF games among the main entries. XIII-2 rights many wrongs, so that's worth a go unless you really don't like this game.

EDIT: Just realized your post was in July haha.

Edited by mcolwander90