Best party setup

There are actually quite a few party setups, depending on how you equip them. For me, there was one party setup that was the most ideal in almost every situation:

Lightning/Hope/Fang

This is the best order to upgrade the Crystarium:

Lightning: COM/RAV/MED

Hope: SYN/MED/COM

Fang: COM/SAB/SEN

It's best to upgrade the Crystarium in this order because you will be able to finish off every enemy quickly and easily. Lightning and Fang generally have strong physical attacks. Hope is made of glass, and can easily die. It is best to upgrade his SYN role first so he can buff the party and mostly keep himself alive.

Hope is also very efficient with his MED role, and probably the best in the game. Lightning's magic attacks are on par with her physical attacks. She's really easy to use, hence why I made her my party leader almost always. Fang's SAB role is also very useful since it debuffs the enemy.

I'd save Lightning's MED role for last because it's just a waste of time to keep your party leader as a MED. Hope will take care of all the healing. Hope generally also has the strongest magic attacks, but it's best to keep him as a SYN and MED. His RAV role is mostly just used to increase the Stagger gauge. Although Fang is super useful as a SEN, you don't have to really worry about having a SEN in your party until post-game. However, if you do need a SEN for some boss battles, then substitute Fang with Snow. Snow has massive HP, and is generally the best SEN.

In the end, it all comes down to how well your party members are equipped. Give Hope accessories that boost HP, give Fang accessories that boost Strength, and give Lightning a mixture of accessories that boost HP and Strength.

Thanks for the explanation Sackboy. I'm in Chapter 4 now and I have absolutely no fucking clue what I'm doing. I'm still mashing :cross: and 5-starring most stuff, but I don't get the battle system at all.

I've tried reading about the different roles, on GameFAQs and in the game, but most of it is lost on me. I guess this is what I get for not playing an RPG since FF XII :p

Thanks for the explanation Sackboy. I'm in Chapter 4 now and I have absolutely no fucking clue what I'm doing. I'm still mashing :cross: and 5-starring most stuff, but I don't get the battle system at all.

I've tried reading about the different roles, on GameFAQs and in the game, but most of it is lost on me. I guess this is what I get for not playing an RPG since FF XII :p

It'll be harder to obtain 5 stars in battles later on, especially in post-game, and starting in around Chapter 5, you will need some strategy so you won't get bored by just mashing :cross:. :p

You're still pretty early in the game, so it doesn't matter what part of the Crystarium you upgrade first. However, starting in Chapter 9 is when you need to start strategically building your characters. Sometime in Chapter 9, you will have access to tons of useful locations to grind CP and Gil. Although a lot of sites and guides say not to grind for CP, you will need to at some points. Once you reach a place called Taejin's Tower, there is a perfect place to earn CP and Gil at the same time super quickly.

Here's a video guide on it that you should check out once you get there:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LJhOjNZUs]Final Fantasy XIII - How to farm legit 940k CP/hour 470k gil/hour EASY - YouTube[/ame]

Those enemies in the video are super easy to kill, even though your Crystarium levels are really low.

Thanks mate. I'm starting to enjoy it more (end of CHapter 4) and I've got a very, very basic grasp of Paradigms, even though most of the time I flick through them quickly until something works.

I was gonna wait until Chapter 13 when the really good Gil farming method is available (the one that disappears after you finish the game). In a place called The Cradle or something?

Thanks mate. I'm starting to enjoy it more (end of CHapter 4) and I've got a very, very basic grasp of Paradigms, even though most of the time I flick through them quickly until something works.

I was gonna wait until Chapter 13 when the really good Gil farming method is available (the one that disappears after you finish the game). In a place called The Cradle or something?

Orphan's Cradle: The Tesseracts. It's a better farming place than what Sackboy listed (from personal experience). You can't really farm Mission 24 until post-game, as it's quite slow when you first get there. The Cie'th farming in Chapter 13 is fantastic for Gil and a nice CP boost (assuming you get the Growth Egg beforehand), only downside is having to stay there until you've finished. I farmed 5M Gil there, which looks to be enough for all my upgrades.

Orphan's Cradle: The Tesseracts. It's a better farming place than what Sackboy listed (from personal experience). You can't really farm Mission 24 until post-game, as it's quite slow when you first get there. The Cie'th farming in Chapter 13 is fantastic for Gil and a nice CP boost (assuming you get the Growth Egg beforehand), only downside is having to stay there until you've finished. I farmed 5M Gil there, which looks to be enough for all my upgrades.

Ta babe :hug:

Actually enjoying the game a lot more now. Grasped the battle system more and battles involve pressing :l1: occasionally as well as hammering :cross: :p

I actually enjoy grinding in games like this, as I can just stick music on and do other stuff whilst I'm at it. Will probably do a couple of mil more, to make sure I have enough, as farming afterwards won't be as easy.

• 3 weeks later...
Paradigm set-up?

I used (Fang/Light/Hope):

1. COM/COM/RAV (default)

2. COM/RAV/RAV

3. SAB/RAV/RAV

4. COM/RAV/MED

5. SEN/MED/MED

Toss Fortisol and Aegisol first and as soon as you start, lob a Librascope so you can quickly work out the heads' elemental weaknesses. Work on one head at a time, hitting it with one turn of the default before you switch to 2. Then once the heads are destroyed, switch to 3 until Deprotect or at least Imperil stick on him. Then go back to 2 until he's staggered, before smashing him with 1.

If you get really low on health, switch to 5, although I preferred equipping Doctor's Code on Fang and using potions. 4 is for if you have half health and want a quick top-up but still attack him (particularly if he's near stagger).

Hope this helps!

I used (Fang/Light/Hope):

1. COM/COM/RAV (default)

2. COM/RAV/RAV

3. SAB/RAV/RAV

4. COM/RAV/MED

5. SEN/MED/MED

Toss Fortisol and Aegisol first and as soon as you start, lob a Librascope so you can quickly work out the heads' elemental weaknesses. Work on one head at a time, hitting it with one turn of the default before you switch to 2. Then once the heads are destroyed, switch to 3 until Deprotect or at least Imperil stick on him. Then go back to 2 until he's staggered, before smashing him with 1.

If you get really low on health, switch to 5, although I preferred equipping Doctor's Code on Fang and using potions. 4 is for if you have half health and want a quick top-up but still attack him (particularly if he's near stagger).

Hope this helps!

Yeah thanks it helped. Didn't let me put Fang as leader so I stuck with Light.

My paradigm set-up was a bit different, was more defensive :p

I tried to kill him so many times. It didn't work I then realised I hadn't upgraded all my weapons.

Was using:

Blazefire Saber lvl 10

Hope's Weapon lvl 6

Fang's Weapon lvl 1

Killed it with:

" " lvl 25

" " lvl 13

" " lvl 15

Yeah thanks it helped. Didn't let me put Fang as leader so I stuck with Light.

My paradigm set-up was a bit different, was more defensive :p

I tried to kill him so many times. It didn't work I then realised I hadn't upgraded all my weapons.

Was using:

Blazefire Saber lvl 10

Hope's Weapon lvl 6

Fang's Weapon lvl 1

Killed it with:

" " lvl 25

" " lvl 13

" " lvl 15

I didn't upgrade any weapons until Chapter 12 :p

If you couldn't use Fang as leader, just swap the paradigms accordingly.

I didn't upgrade any weapons until Chapter 12 :p

If you couldn't use Fang as leader, just swap the paradigms accordingly.

I've just been pressing :cross: all the way through this game :p I first upgraded when I had to fight bulbasaur (chapter 4/5 boss) :p

I did at first then I died. Worked pretty well though.

So next I tried Light, Sazh and Vanille. Barely go rid of the heads. Bad timing between paradigm shifts. Although playing Vanille as Sab and Sazh as SYN was so epic. Buff and Debuff all at the same time. Haste is a life saver.

So I went back to the trio that were there by default (Light, Hope and Fang), after 3 more goes it finally worked. Just played it safe. My paradigm set-up was different form yours.

I had: Light/Hope/Fang

COM/RAV/COM - Agression

RAV/RAV/SAB - Smart Bomb

COM/SYN/SEN - Diversity?

MED/MED/SEN - Combat Clinic

COM/MED/COM - Tireless Assault?

After taking out the heads, I switched to CC to fully heal, then aggression and kept switching between that and SB. When the Buffs wore off I switched to Diversity to get shell and protect. Then to stagger it quickly I used SB. When health was close to red or half way through orange I used TA.

The first battle I actually thought about lol :p Feels good :D

Thanks anyways :D

Edited by KuroBlade

• 2 months later...

I had this for the 360 (traded it today to a PS4), but for the most part, I rocked it with Lightning/Fang/Hope. Hope is a great Medic and better than adequate Synergist. Fang deals a brutal amount of damage in the Commando role and tanks well enough as a Sentinel. And Lightning is just awesome.