Trying to get the Platinum, but I've burnt out. Help me renew my determination?

I got up to 62% in trophies and I've been playing for 70 hours. My problem is that I'm stuck... the only next available step seems to be grinding for CP.

I beat the game, got 5 stars on Orphan, got the LoreMaster and the Chocobo Hunt. I have 5 stars on every Cieth Stone except the two Juggernauts, Attacus, Gigantuar, Adamantoise, the Raktavija duo and Vercigetorix.

Some of these I can't even beat(Gigantaur, Attacus) and others I can't five star (Juggernaut)

I got the growth egg ages ago when I tried for an hour to do the Death trick on Neochu. 5 stars there. So I really need the Gold Watch and the Genji Gloves, but I can't beat their missions.

I can't grind for Gil because I can't beat the Adamantoises to win the Ingots or the Trapezohedrons. I don't have the Gil so I can't work on the weapon upgrades.

So what else is there besides CP grinding? Can anyone enlighten me on the best spots or give me a pep talk so I don't get fed up and quit?

The thought of having to farm all those Ingots to upgrade all those weapons sounds insurmountable to me.

IF you took a look at the Encyclopedia there is another good way to make money besides grinding Platinum Ingots.

Do Mission 24 in the 5th Tier of Taejin's Tower. The mission mark is right next to the start and it's an easy kill. Gives 6k CP (12k with your Grow Egg) and gives Moonblossom Seed as the mission reward, which is a 6k premium.

Thank you for the advice, but you reminded me of another important question:

After I beat all the Titan Trials, apparently Adamantoise is replaced with Long Gui. (All of them, everywhere, forever??) He has the same drops but is way tougher, being a superboss.

So is the consensus to hold off on beating the Trials until you're done Gil farming??

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Edited by PurpleMonkeyD86

Thank you for the advice, but you reminded me of another important question:

After I beat all the Titan Trials, apparently Adamantoise is replaced with Long Gui. (All of them, everywhere, forever??) He has the same drops but is way tougher, being a superboss.

So is the consensus to hold off on beating the Trials until you're done Gil farming??

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

There is still one Adamantoise in Edenhall (where the two treasure balls were on the glass and the Adamantoise fell through if you took one). Other than that all of them are converted. Honestly Mission 24 with the Growth Egg is probably your best bet. You can kill the boss once a minute or even a bit faster and I am including time taken to reactivate the mission. This is 720k CP per hour with the growth egg and 360k gil an hour which is not bad. Once your characters area bit stronger you can take down the Adamantoise in roughly 1-1.5 minutes. Hell even use the Vanille death trick if you want. The Long Guis are easy as hell to take down as well. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy taking one down with his characters only having level 1 weapons, like basically no accessories and not even maxed out main roles in the crystarium. Also farming mission 7 is decent for starring all your level one weapons if you get bored of mission 24. There is also a chance for Tetradic Tiaras/Crowns dropping there which are the source of Sprint Shoes and a decent source of money accompanied with all the bomb cores. It is a grind but you can do it with time and patience. Just mix it up and you will get there. I just got mine 30 minutes or so ago :)

well i have the same problem but i alredy do the trials and i havent seen a long gui someone did say to me that long gui appearts when beating mission 63 not sure but u can check if u whant and to do 5 stars in the gigant cactus i belive u say equip 2 speed sash on each character to do instant chain on him and kill in in 15 seconds and u paradigms to work the instant chain has to be com/com/com and if he kill u because the instant chain did not work in the firts time keep tri it that how i have 5 stars on him

First of all there is also an adamantoise in archylte steppe its just difficult to expmain exactly where it is, but there is one who can be respawned by porting elsewhere and back again.

If you have trouble beating it you can always make sure you have 3 Tp and then go i. With vanille as leader and sab/sab/syn - instantly summon hecathoncheer and repeat casting death on it, takes less than 2 mins.

For money grinding there is the above mentioned method and also grinding perfumes in the edenhall area, or you can max our your chars in archylte steppe at the behemoth fighting another big doggish thing, gives 13k every 30 secs.

Use an upgrade guide to make sure you dont waste any money on stuff not needed and remember you only need one of the ultimate weapons per character and it dosnt even need exp after it has been transformed(using trapzohedron)

Hope it helps

Also, there is 3 genji gloves available and getting the one from the mark#63 whi h is the adamantoise is really easy using the death strat above, that will also give you 5 stars on that along with a genji glove, 80k cp and the ability to take the mission again. Spawning old adamantoises again that way.

Edit: to spawn the cieth stone you need to open up for the faultwarrens.

Edited by Obie83

I just spent 30min slowly killin this bigass Adamantoise and it didn't drop shit for me... buuulllshiiiiit. :mad:

No Platinum Ingot, or Trapo. Half an hour wasted, the fuck they thinkin with this game man. =/

Had on Connoseir Catalog too.

By the time your strong enough that you can decently farm these guys for their drops you wouldn't even need the shit anymore.

Edited by CogniVision

I just spent 30min slowly killin this bigass Adamantoise and it didn't drop shit for me... buuulllshiiiiit. :mad:

No Platinum Ingot, or Trapo. Half an hour wasted, the fuck they thinkin with this game man. =/

Had on Connoseir Catalog too.

By the time your strong enough that you can decently farm these guys for their drops you wouldn't even need the shit anymore.

It has always been like that, you need to kill one of strongest creatures in FF games to earn equipment you can't use cuz you already killed the strongest creatures:)

However, if it takes you 30 mins to kill one you should have alot of stuff to do instead, also vanilles death spell takes 2 mins, trap is only 5% droprate from adams but 25% from long guis(who will replace the adams in archylte steppe later on), but they are really hard to beat without maxed out crystarium.

True, if it's taking you 30 minutes to kill one, you're risking your sanity. :p Probably best to work on other things first before you start farming turtles.

However, if it takes you 30 mins to kill one you should have alot of stuff to do instead, also vanilles death spell takes 2 mins

I used Vanille's death spell for turtle farming too, at first. But sometimes the spell just won't connect and those 2 minutes can become many more minutes, until the sweet little 'toise gets up again and crushes you like a bug. The death spell method does work, but with varying results. I'd personally recommend the "Sazh-method" for early turtle farming, it's more effective imo (it takes about 3-4 minutes per fight). And maybe it's just a coincidence, but I got Platinum Ingots more often this way than when I used the death spell method. Maybe the game penalizes you for winning the battle in a cheap way...? Or it's really just a coincidence, dunno! :think:

Well it hasn't always been that way in FF, you could usually kill the monsters that you needed to farm for stronger shit. Especially since all monsters used to drop money. Where as FF13 the good money drops are only from monsters that by the time you can farm them for those money drops you dont need to anymore. They tease you with trapos and by the time you'd get a drop you coulda probly farmed some cheap premiums off other creatures and bought the Trapo.

The 30min was my first try, after that I saw what I needed to do and got down to 10-15min. I always have to have Sentinel up since my characters are so low they get one hit by the Roar without the defense buff of havin a Sentinel up. And that's wearing a Starred Imperial and Royal Armlets on each character. So yeah definitely not statted up enough to be killing them.

I want that damn Trapo though... I've killed about 4 of them and nothin, even with Connoseir and Collctor catalog on two seperate characters. =/

Edited by CogniVision

The 30min was my first try, after that I saw what I needed to do and got down to 10-15min. I always have to have Sentinel up since my characters are so low they get one hit by the Roar without the defense buff of havin a Sentinel up. And that's wearing a Starred Imperial and Royal Armlets on each character. So yeah definitely not statted up enough to be killing them.

I want that damn Trapo though... I've killed about 4 of them and nothin, even with Connoseir and Collctor catalog on two seperate characters. =/

Is that with or without using a summon? As you probably know, if you summon an Eidolon, the Adaman(tor)toise will get knocked to the ground right away. If you can finish it off before it gets up again, you're good to go. Otherwise it's going to take longer than it's probably worth.

And uh, not to be discouraging, but after 4 slain 'toises you shouldn't expect too much yet. I got my 1st Trapezohedron after, like, somewhere between 20-30 victories... ._.

Is that with or without using a summon? As you probably know, if you summon an Eidolon, the Adaman(tor)toise will get knocked to the ground right away. If you can finish it off before it gets up again, you're good to go. Otherwise it's going to take longer than it's probably worth.

And uh, not to be discouraging, but after 4 slain 'toises you shouldn't expect too much yet. I got my 1st Trapezohedron after, like, somewhere between 20-30 victories... ._.

lol yea like I said at the point you get a Trape drop you'd be better off just farming money to buy one for 2mil from the store. 20-30 victories... it's like what's the point anymore. xD

10-15min without Eidolon summons, but yeah I do know the Eidolon drops them. Figured it out on accident when I was close to takin out a Adamanturtoise in one drop and he got back up with only liek 40k hp left. I summoned Bahamut tryin to kill him before stagger left, and then he dropped to the ground again.

And I should expect much after 4 long annoying kills while wearing so called item drop equipment... I should expect it, just doesn't mean I'll get it. <.<

Either way they got you spendin a good hour dependin on your level to kill 'bout 6 of them at 10min each. And no drop, to kill 20-30 of those things I'd be spendin about half the damn day. Nothin justifies this bs farming. lol

Thanks for the tip though on how long it took you, think I'll just say fuck it and farm to buy the Trape. More boring, but quicker.

Edited by CogniVision

lol yea like I said at the point you get a Trape drop you'd be better off just farming money to buy one for 2mil from the store. 20-30 victories... it's like what's the point anymore. xD

10-15min without Eidolon summons, but yeah I do know the Eidolon drops them. Figured it out on accident when I was close to takin out a Adamanturtoise in one drop and he got back up with only liek 40k hp left. I summoned Bahamut tryin to kill him before stagger left, and then he dropped to the ground again.

And I should expect much after 4 long annoying kills while wearing so called item drop equipment... I should expect it, just doesn't mean I'll get it. <.<

Either way they got you spendin a good hour dependin on your level to kill 'bout 6 of them at 10min each. And no drop, to kill 20-30 of those things I'd be spendin about half the damn day. Nothin justifies this bs farming. lol

Thanks for the tip though on how long it took you, think I'll just say fuck it and farm to buy the Trape. More boring, but quicker.

Don't give up. Also the Death farming method is probably the best for you honestly. I was able to consistently kill many turtles with it at anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for a kill. Also I would say my success rate with kills using this method was about 75% at least. Once you get good at it they seem to go down easier. Don't forget to throw up debuffs on the turtle before you start casting death because every debuff increases the chance of death connecting. You can also stagger it if it isn't dead before your Eidelon runs out. Also only use a Connoisseur Catalog and not a Collector's Catalog as well because I hear the effects cancel each other out. In one stretch of farming turtles I got 3 straight Platinum Ingots followed by 2 trapezohedrons. That must have been incredibly lucky but I seem to almost always get something good within 3-5 kills so you should get one soon. Also a good tip is to save the game when you have 3 TP and then go kill the turtle. If it doesn't drop anything just reload to spawn it again and get your TP back. I now have a total of 11 traps just from farming the turtles for fun and Platinum Ingots for a change from the Mission 24 farming. Make sure you are using Malboro Wand for Vanille as well. I personally would recommend all * level tier 2 weapons and * level Power Gloves and Weirding Glyphs for Strength and Magic accessories. Hope this lengthy post helps some.

I'm pretty much down on the killing part. I 5 star them each time, I just have no luck with the drops.

I'd rather not use a save and reload it since if anything I get CP points from it since I still need to level. As for the debuff and death, he is immune to debuffs until he has been dropped to the ground... and at that point I'd rather just smash him on the head than waste time with a Death that might not even connect before he gets back up.

Hell on nochuu I spent about 12min spamming Death. I was pretty pissed I hit 4 Star instead of 5. This game just doesn't like giving me good success rates. lol

I'm pretty much down on the killing part. I 5 star them each time, I just have no luck with the drops.

I'd rather not use a save and reload it since if anything I get CP points from it since I still need to level. As for the debuff and death, he is immune to debuffs until he has been dropped to the ground... and at that point I'd rather just smash him on the head than waste time with a Death that might not even connect before he gets back up.

Hell on nochuu I spent about 12min spamming Death. I was pretty pissed I hit 4 Star instead of 5. This game just doesn't like giving me good success rates. lol

try to equip both catalogues. i had 1 platinum ingot every 3 matches and 1 trap every 10 or 15 matches. i dont know if you can find the thread but someone once maked a thread how to get the adamantoise trophie. just use the same tactics u use 4 trophie and u will never fail again. i started with vanille dead and i needed 30 min to get it work (i had 2000 magic with vanille) then i tried to use the tactic i saw on that thread and from that point i killed 1 turtle each 1 min 30 sec. my stats where maxed but i only had level 1 weapons. i think i also had the ability equiped that let u do more damage then 99.999

I'm doing the same Platinum as you, personally i'm still really enjoying the game even the grind (i'm a little further).

I completed mission 63 which turned all the toise's into Long gui's Oops as i had read bad info telling me it was Mission 51 that did it....

Its not all bad though and i'll tell you why. This is my grinding strategy...

Port to Eden Hall and kill the 7 Sacrifices - these can drop Scarilites(7k) and Perfumes(12.5k). Most of the time I save afterwards, and then restart the game to get these to spawn and then I kill them again. Basically i do this until I have 3 TP, I then go find the one Adamantoise that is left in the Archyte Steppe, save the game and kill him using the Vanille death trick(don't hate me). If he drops a Platinum Ingot, I then just repeat the process, if he does not I resave the game and kill him until he does.

To mix this up and stave off the boredom, I have been doing a cieth mission. There are good strategies for most bosses. My problem at the moment is trying to kill Long Gui's....

try to equip both catalogues. i had 1 platinum ingot every 3 matches and 1 trap every 10 or 15 matches. i dont know if you can find the thread but someone once maked a thread how to get the adamantoise trophie. just use the same tactics u use 4 trophie and u will never fail again. i started with vanille dead and i needed 30 min to get it work (i had 2000 magic with vanille) then i tried to use the tactic i saw on that thread and from that point i killed 1 turtle each 1 min 30 sec. my stats where maxed but i only had level 1 weapons. i think i also had the ability equiped that let u do more damage then 99.999

I've been using both Catalogues, but someone just told me that was a bad idea.

What trophy are you talking about? I haven't completed enough Cieth missions to unlock Long Gui, and if Adamantoise counted for that Adamant Will trophy I would have had it about 10 times over now.

I'm kinda lost in your post. xD

What trophy are you talking about? I haven't completed enough Cieth missions to unlock Long Gui, and if Adamantoise counted for that Adamant Will trophy I would have had it about 10 times over now.

check out this thread. the turtle with most hp reward u with trophie.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/final-fantasy-xiii/43824-kill-adaman-gui-enemies-quickly-easy-cp-gil-comp.html

us the tactic for the 1 in eden (hes listed in that thread) and after a couple of tries u should do it right. i know people say its a bad idea to equip both but to be honest i reloaded save each time and after 3 to 5 i had 1 platinum ingot and each 10 or 15 reload i had trap. so 4 me it worked pretty good. i ended up with 2 mil more and 10 traps instead of 6. if i had platinum ingot i defeated al soldiers and returned to save point. u dont have to kill them to get him respawn but they gave a few thousand of gil. also the best tactic is to gather alot of money (like i did) and then upgrade everything and sell it. a friend told me that and that was a great favor he did there. i remember i needed 2 million and i saved and begin to create everything (i had list) accesoires and weapon and sell them. i ended up with 2 million extra and the trophie. also if u max a tier 3 weapon (your choiche) and u dismantle it (only do it if u have enough money and after u gathered enough for trophie) u have 2 traps.

also in eden they are monsters who drop perfume but in the same area they drop also components that u need to upgrade certain accesoires. each drop u get from that saves u 20.000k. there is also a cieth mission where a monster drop also a component where u save also 20.000. to know what component i mean check accesoires what components u need to upgrade and then bestiary.

ps: i only would sell everything to look how much money u need. (once u have created 1 version and sell it it count for trophie). i wouldnt overwrite that save if u dont have trophie. best u do it in 1 go

Edited by Hogger

I am probably the one who told you that and that is what I heard from someone who had an actual strategy guide and said that bit of information was in it. I cannot verify 100% sure but I only used the Connoisseur Catalog and either I am really lucky or it works because I have at least 11-12 traps and would always get either a trap or Platinum Ingot within 3-5 fights. There were several instances where I would get 2-3 drops of either in a row actually.

I just think your very very lucky. lol

I'm not even getting Ingots, let alone any Traps.

I guess so lol. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you start getting some to drop. I would really have hated to spend 2m on 1 trap because it is so freaking expensive just to upgrade all the weapons to tier two and then to max out 6 of those and use 6 traps on them. I also had no real issues farming Dark Matter as well. I suppose if you still need CP though that 80k a pop is not bad. I was farming using the Vanille Death method (cheap I know lol) on the Adamantoise and I was dropping them in anywhere from 38 seconds if I got extremely lucky to 2:10 if I got it on the last Death I could get off. Success rate using this method was probably 75% or so. Maybe even slightly higher at times.

Also, keep in mind it's not all about drop rate percentages. It also involves RNG patterns (Random Number Generator). Those drop rates are only semi-random, as they're generated at the start and changed during play by various things.

[For example; someone has figured out FFXII's RNG pattern and found a way to manipulate it. Using that "RNG method", you can get yourself 6 Zodiac Spears without fail and without any kind of cheats. I tried it myself, it works!]

With that said, the RNG pattern can apparently get stuck on producing a specific result sometimes (or at least a very high percentage of doing so). Not sure how exactly that all works, but what I mean is; if you haven't been getting any drops for hours, it could be that the game got stuck on a pisspoor RNG pattern. Whenever I feel this might be the case, I'll restart the game. You know, just in case. I don't know how it works with the PS3, but to reset RNG patterns with the PS2 you had to turn the console off (just resetting the game doesn't work). On the PS3 I would just quit and restart FFXIII whenever I felt like something might be wrong with the RNG (usually did so when I hadn't been getting anything for about 2 hours).

Of course, this probably only happens véry rarely and I'm sure most of the time I restarted the game for nothing (if that even resets the pattern), but even so... something to keep in mind if you're not getting any drops for ages. :p

My luck is full of such BS in this damn game...

I just tried killin them with Death, and after about 20min of spamming Death to no avail. Tried spamming when it was down, tries spamming when it was up. I said eff it and just killed the thing. Wasted 29min, coulda just killed it normally in 10.

So that gave me a 0 star. And what drops? A damn Platinum Ingot... drops on a 0 Star rating. I killed more than 10 of the things with a 5 Star and nothing. Screw this. Done with this game. <.<

Edited by CogniVision