Crystarium Explained and Optimal Leveling Guide

oversoul53

I noticed some people were confused about the Crystarium in this game. So allow me to explain it.

Just like FFXIII, this game has specific roles for abilities in battle. Noel and Serah can both use all 6 roles (not from the get-go, but still).

So here's how the crystarium works: Each character has one set path to follow, each with different stages. The different battle roles do not have their own crystarium path like in FFXIII, instead they all share the same path and it is up to yo which ones to develop. This allows for more flexibility in terms of leveling your characters.

None of the nodes on the crystarium contain specific abilities or attributes. They are all blank and what they become depends entirely on what role you are developing. So don't worry about missing an ability if one is available but you choose to level up a different role, as each ability is connected to the role's level, not the node on the crystarium.

And just like older FF games the roles level up. With 99 being the max.

Now, let's do a walkthrough example:

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/5/57/Crystarium_ffxiii2.jpg

in the picture above Serah is at a level 4 commando, a level 4 ravager, and a level 1 sentinel. Ravager is the role currently highlighted so on the bottom right of the screen it shows what the next ability is for the ravager role, and at what level it can be obtained. According to the picture, the ability Flamestrike can be obtained for the ravager role at level 6. Right now Ravager is at a level 4. In order to level up ravager to level 6 you must first highlight it (as shown in the picture) and then press X to level it up. In the center of the screen you'll see "next level" with a number above it. That number indicates how many crystarium points (CP), are needed to level up that role.

If you are currently leveling up a role that is not on level for an ability, you will instead receive bonuses to your attributes based off the role (i.e. strength, magic) keep this in mind when choosing which roles to level up in the in between spots.

At the end of each Stage you will be given the option to choose a bonus, these bonuses can range anywhere from stat increases to extra ATB gauges to new roles. More on these below.

and that's all there is to it really. It seems confusing at first, but once you play with it a bit and get to understand it, it becomes pretty easy to use.

Now, you can choose which of the roles to level up and in what order, but I'm going to show you the most optimal path to take in order to beat the game with as little headache as possible, this is information straight from the strategy guide itself!

lBelow I will list each stage and what level you should try to get each role to on that stage, as well as how much CP it will cost you to do so.

Example:

Stage #: ROLE: Level to obtain, CP COST

Keep in mind that you should level them up in the order shown so as to get the suggested bonuses.

For example, it if says: RAV: 29, SAB: 12, MED: 3

then you level up RAV to 29 first and don't even mess with the other 2 until it is level 29, then you move on to SAB, get that to 12, THEN go to medic. ect.

Serah:

Serah's best roles are Saboteur, Ravager, medic and Commando. And she is more naturally inclined towards magic rather than strength. here is her optimized leveling route:

Stage 1: COM: 9, RAV: 10, SEN: 3, CP COST: 2,580

Stage 2: COM: 20, RAV: 19, CP COST: 4,570

Stage 3: COM: 26, RAV: 23, SAB: 11, CP COST: 5,580

Stage 4: RAV: 29, SAB: 18, MED: 8, CP COST: 7,360

Stage 5: COM: 30, RAV: 32, SAB: 29, MED: 10, CP COST: 7,890

Stage 6: COM: 33, RAV: 35, SEN: 5, SAB: 41, CP COST: 8,340

Stage 7: COM: 41, RAV: 41, SAB: 47, CP COST: 9,480

Stage 8: RAV: 49, SAB: 50, MED: 19, CP COST: 9,960

Stage 9: RAV: 58, MED: 30, CP COST: 10,130

Stage 10: RAV: 62, SEN: 21, SAB: 60, CP COST: 16,840

Stage 11: COM: 50, SEN: 25, SAB: 77, CP COST: 19,390

Stage 12: RAV: 63, SEN: 38, SAB: 93, CP COST: 19,930

Stage 13: COM: 56, RAV: 69, SEN: 50, SAB: 99, CP COST: 21,420

Stage 14: COM: 77, RAV: 78, CP COST: 24,620

Stage 15: RAV: 87, MED: 51, CP COST: 25,530

Stage 16: RAV: 95, SYN: 3, MED: 71, CP COST: 26, 170

Stage 17: RAV: 96, SYN: 19, MED: 84, CP COST: 30,560

Stage 18: RAV: 97, SEN: 63, SYN: 35, CP COST: 33,000

Stage 19: RAV: 98, SEN: 76, SYN: 51, CP COST: 36,100

Stage 20: RAV: 99, SYN: 67, MED: 97, CP COST: 52,600

Stage 21: SEN: 99, SYN: 83, MED: 98. CP COST: 94,600

Stage 22: COM: 99, SYN: 99, MED: 99, CP COST: 107,600

Final Stats:

HP: 6,619

Strength: 402; With "ATB +1" Weapon: 517; With "Link" Weapon: 881

Magic: 880; With "ATB +1" Weapon: 1,040; With "Link" Weapon: 881

Noel:

Noel is best as a commando but has some abilities in the medic role that Serah lacks (such as "heal all"), he is also an optimal synergist, and his ravager role should not be neglected either. These 4 roles will be developed in tandem with one another but the focus will be mostly on Commando.

Stage 1: COM: 10, RAV: 9, SEN: 3, CP COST: 2,580

Stage 2: COM: 19, RAV: 20, CP COST: 4,570

Stage 3: COM: 23, RAV: 26, SYN: 11, CP COST: 5,580

Stage 4: COM: 32, RAV: 30, MED: 8, CP COST: 7,360

Stage 5: COM: 41, RAV: 41, CP COST: 7,890

Stage 6: COM: 42, RAV: 44, SYN: 27, CP COST: 8,340

Stage 7: COM: 51, MED: 19, CP COST: 9,480

Stage 8: COM: 60, MED: 30, CP COST: 9,960

Stage 9: COM: 69, RAV: 50, MED: 35, CP COST: 10,130

Stage 10: COM: 70, SEN: 16, SYN: 43, CP COST: 16,840

Stage 11: COM: 76, SEN: 33, SYN: 50, CP COST: 19,390

Stage 12: COM: 81, RAV: 61, SEN: 40, SYN: 57, CP COST: 19,930

Stage 13: COM: 90, RAV:82, CP COST: 21,420

Stage 14: COM: 95, RAV: 99, SYN: 65, CP COST: 24,620

Stage 15: SAB: 15, SYN: 69, MED: 47, CP COST: 25,530

Stage 16: SAB: 29, SYN: 73, MED: 59, CP COST: 26,170

Stage 17: SAB: 37, SYN: 83, MED: 71, CP COST: 30,560

Stage 18: SEN: 50, SAB: 54, MED: 74, CP COST: 33,000

Stage 19: COM: 96, SEN: 63, SAB: 70, CP COST: 36,100

Stage 20: COM: 97, SEN: 76, SYN: 99, CP COST: 52,600

Stage 21: COM: 98, SEN: 99, SAB: 86, CP COST: 94,600

Stage 22: COM: 99, SAB: 99, MED: 99, CP COST: 107,600

Final Stats:

HP: 8,550

Strength: 851; With "ATB +1" Weapon: 1,011; With "Link" Weapon: 852

Magic: 509; With "ATB +1" Weapon: 624; With "Link" Weapon: 852

Bonuses

as stated above, the end of each crystarium stage comes with a bonus of your choosing. You can choose whichever bonus you want, however if you wish to follow this optimal leveling guide there are specific choices you should make each time. I will list them here.

Serah

After Stage 1: ATB +1

After Stage 2: Unlock SAB Role

After Stage 3: Unlock MED Role

After Stage 4: SAB Bonus Boost I

After Stage 5: SAB Bonus Boost II

After Stage 6: Accessory Capacity +20

After Stage 7: COM Bonus Boost I

After Stage 8: ATB +1

After Stage 9: MED Bonus Boost I

After Stage 10: Ultima Arrow

After Stage 11: COM Bonus Boost II

After Stage 12: Accessory Capacity +20

After Stage 13: RAV Bonus Boost I

After Stage 14: RAV Bonus Boost II

After Stage 15: Unlock SYN

After Stage 16: MED Bonus Boost II

After Stage 17: Accessory Capacity +10

After Stage 18: SEN Bonus Boost I

After Stage 19: SEN Bonus Boost II

After Stage 20: SYN Bonus Boost I

After Stage 21: SYN Bonus Boost II

Noel

After Stage 1: ATB +1

After Stage 2: Unlock SYN

After Stage 3: Unlock MED

After Stage 4: COM Bonus Boost I

After Stage 5: RAV Bonus Boost I

After Stage 6: Accessory Capacity +20

After Stage 7: MED Bonus Boost I

After Stage 8: MED Bonus Boost II

After Stage 9: COM Bonus Boost II

After Stage 10: Meteor Javelin

After Stage 11: Accessory Capacity +20

After Stage 12: RAV Bonus Boost II

After Stage 13: Accessory Capacity +10

After Stage 14: Unlock SAB

After Stage 15: ATB +1

After Stage 16: SAB Bonus Boost I

After Stage 17: SYN Bonus Boost I

After Stage 18: SAB Bonus Boost II

After Stage 19: SEN Bonus Boost I

After Stage 20: SYN Bonus Boost II

After Stage 21: SEN Bonus Boost II

Edited by oversoul53

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good information, but the whole idea of "ideal build" min-maxing in FFXIII-2 is kinda silly. No matter what order you allocate CP to the 6 Roles, you'll still be more than strong enough to beat all the bosses and earn all the trophies. In other words, don't stress too much about it. ;)

The Crystarium is actually much more in-depth than said. There are small nodes and large nodes, the larger ones giving a "bonus" (atk, mag, hp) depending on what job is learned on that node, and depending on if your level is even or odd on certain jobs. If you really want to maximize your characters it's not nearly as simple and you kinda gotta plan ahead.

As Aeliana mentioned tho the whole game can be accomplished without having to max out perfectly, so I'm just gonna do it how I want :p

The Crystarium is actually much more in-depth than said. There are small nodes and large nodes, the larger ones giving a "bonus" (atk, mag, hp) depending on what job is learned on that node, and depending on if your level is even or odd on certain jobs. If you really want to maximize your characters it's not nearly as simple and you kinda gotta plan ahead.

I forgot to mention it but... that's why you're supposed to level them up in the order shown so as to get the suggested bonuses.

For example, it if says: RAV: 29, SAB: 12, MED: 3

then you level up RAV to 29 first and don't even mess with the other 2 until it is level 29, then you move on to SAB, get that to 12, THEN go to medic. ect.

Edited by oversoul53

The way I understood it was that whatever is in Role Bonuses is how you're supposed to use the bigger nodes, and then fill up the smaller nodes with the others, so as to level those up but not get their bonuses, but the ones that are better suited for your character.

So for example, the first stage of Serah's, I went Ravager on all the large nodes, and leveled the Commando and Sentinel with the smaller ones. I think this is what they intended with that guide.

way to rip this right out of the strategy guide

Um... yeah, I mentioned that when I posted it.

posted it trying to be helpful for those who couldn't get the strategy guide. No need to be an ass.

The way I understood it was that whatever is in Role Bonuses is how you're supposed to use the bigger nodes, and then fill up the smaller nodes with the others, so as to level those up but not get their bonuses, but the ones that are better suited for your character.

So for example, the first stage of Serah's, I went Ravager on all the large nodes, and leveled the Commando and Sentinel with the smaller ones. I think this is what they intended with that guide.

oh ok, yeah that makes sense too. I tell ya, that chart's kind of hard to read. lol.

Edited by oversoul53

This is correct. Note tho if you do it this way your main roles (ex Com for Noel) will be somewhat gimpy early on since there are more small nodes than big ones. Basically in the long run you will be uber but early on may struggle unless you grind a lot.

Other thing to note would be that for Serah, all Synergist and Saboteur levels on the large nodes should be on odd levels to get the proper bonus of magic. As in, it when you activate it, it should move it up to an odd number.

For Noel, all large nodes filled by Synergist need to be odd, and the Saboteur ones should be on even levels.

Also, the other thing is that Serah's Stage 3 Crystarium recommendations seem to be backwards, 4 of the large nodes should be Ravager, and 5 should be Saboteur. Only way that one makes sense with what I've said previously.

Just sharing what I've gathered.

Other thing to note would be that for Serah, all Synergist and Saboteur levels on the large nodes should be on odd levels to get the proper bonus of magic. As in, it when you activate it, it should move it up to an odd number.

For Noel, all large nodes filled by Synergist need to be odd, and the Saboteur ones should be on even levels.

Also, the other thing is that Serah's Stage 3 Crystarium recommendations seem to be backwards, 4 of the large nodes should be Ravager, and 5 should be Saboteur. Only way that one makes sense with what I've said previously.

Just sharing what I've gathered.

Well, if there is a weapon like this one:

one with 1/1 stats but raises Noel's mag to equal his attack and the other way around for serah, which is why I said if you choose to focus on a characters str use any extra nodes to raise HP instead of MAG

That someone mentioned on the Xbox 360 forums, then would it not be a better idea for Noel to have Sab/Syn on even, and Serah to have Sab/Syn on odd large nodes?

None of the nodes on the crystarium contain specific abilities or attributes. They are all blank and what they become depends entirely on what role you are developing. So don't worry about missing an ability if one is available but you choose to level up a different role, as each ability is connected to the role's level, not the node on the crystarium.

Ah, that makes so much sense now, thanks. Either I somehow can't see it in the game's datalog, or its not in it.

Taking the info from this thread to hand is this basically what you guys are saying is the best. Bracketed Amounts being what should be on the large nodes.

Example 1

Serah:

RAV, SAB ODD LEVELS, SYN ODD LEVELS ON LARGE NODES FOR MAGIC FOCUS

1: COM: 9 / RAV: 10 / SEN: 3 / / / CP : 2,580 (9 RAV)

2: COM: 20 / RAV: 19 / / / / CP : 4,570 (9 RAV)

3: COM: 26 / RAV: 23 / / SAB: 11 / / CP : 5,580 (4 RAV, 5 SAB)

Example 2

Noel:

COM, SAB EVEN LEVEL ON LARGE NODES FOR STRENGTH FOCUS

SYN ON ODD LEVELS FOR EXTRA MAGIC

1: COM: 10 / RAV: 9 / SEN: 3 / / / CP : 2,580 (9 COM)

2: COM: 19 / RAV: 20 / / / / CP : 4,570 (9 COM)

3: COM: 23 / RAV: 26 / / / / SYN: 11 CP : 5,580 (4 COM, 5 RAV)

Sorry if i am wrong and still confused :think:

Edited by Ceromorth
Spelling

A few observations I have from playing with the Crystarium. Please correct if I am wrong. Sorry if these things are fairly obvious, but having reread this more than once I still did not grasp the below concepts until I actually sat down with the game.

First, the role bonus ONLY applies to large nodes.

Second, each node unlocks its own specific stat increase, regardless of what role you used to unlock the node.

Third, if you wanted to maximize one particular stat, then your best best is to only level up the role on a large node.

The Crystarium was quirky at the start, but I am much happier with the FFXIII-2 Crystarium than the FFXIII Crystarium. The customization potential is much better.

I have decided to make Serah my Str/COM/SAB character and Noel my Mag/RAV/MED/SYN character. Looking at the FFXIII-2 Wiki (and assuming the mechanics from FFXIII are left over), it seems that the Mag stat is important for SAB/SYN only in length of time of the buff/debuff but not the percentage of application.

So I prefer my Syn buffs to be longer than my Sab debuffs. Furthermore, I am more impressed with Noel's MED abilities than Serah's.

Thoughts?

A few observations I have from playing with the Crystarium. Please correct if I am wrong. Sorry if these things are fairly obvious, but having reread this more than once I still did not grasp the below concepts until I actually sat down with the game.

First, the role bonus ONLY applies to large nodes.

Second, each node unlocks its own specific stat increase, regardless of what role you used to unlock the node.

Third, if you wanted to maximize one particular stat, then your best best is to only level up the role on a large node.

The Crystarium was quirky at the start, but I am much happier with the FFXIII-2 Crystarium than the FFXIII Crystarium. The customization potential is much better.

I have decided to make Serah my Str/COM/SAB character and Noel my Mag/RAV/MED/SYN character. Looking at the FFXIII-2 Wiki (and assuming the mechanics from FFXIII are left over), it seems that the Mag stat is important for SAB/SYN only in length of time of the buff/debuff but not the percentage of application.

So I prefer my Syn buffs to be longer than my Sab debuffs. Furthermore, I am more impressed with Noel's MED abilities than Serah's.

Thoughts?

You might wanna reverse the roles, I have heard from many sources that Serah is a far better RAV and Noel a far better COM