Anyone else love Blitzball?

Weaver

Been ages ago that I plat'd this game but did anyone else really enjoy Blitzball? I hated it at first but once you get a kickass team you obliterate everyone like 10-0 :p

From the top of my head this was my team:

Tidus, Brother, Wedge (they like, always score.) Ropp on defense. Had a girl keeper, can't really remember :o Miyu i think

It was fun getting the Attack Reels, at least for me

Edited by Weaver

*raises hand* Me, me! I spent quite a bit of time playing Blitzball at various points throughout the story and then often got completely sidetracked by it.

Needless to say, I got all the special rewards quite easily and didn't have to grind at all. :thumbsup:

(Such a shame that they changed it in FFX-2, I really don't like the sequel's version of Blitzball... *sigh*)

Oh, and of course, you can't forget about that kickass Blitzball music theme! ^^

I love Blitzball! I have the original Aurochs + Brother and seem to be doing quite well. Haven't lost a single game. Won the tournament for Attack Reels and now playing league for a return sphere.

Nimrook is probably the best keeper in the beginning with 18 catch at level 4 O_O. But I'm sticking with keepa as he's the best (I think) after level 75 (The grind is real!).

At first I wasn't, but after playing it for hours on end even after getting Wakka's key item, you tend to fall in love with it.

I spent perhaps another "few" hours of game time to get my crew to level 30. Shame I never got to recruit Nimrook though since every time his contract expired, he was hired back on.

I like playing blitzball for sure, but there are a few things that I think should be explained.

How does the ball move so far and so fast?

How do the players move so fast?

How do the players breathe?

How do the players exit the sphere?

Is the Blitz Sphere made of water or something similar-looking?

If it is not made of water, what happens when one farts?

I don't think it would have taken long to explain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love it but when you level-up and become too powerful, it become boring for having no more challenge.

I find it funny the Luca Goers are seen as those unbeatable team but after that story match, they are among the worse team with the Kilika Beasts while the Al Bhed Psyches who tried to cheat yet they are one of the best team.

I love Blitzball.

I like the fact that you can mix teams up if you want, hell you can go full Team-Ronso if you want. :D

On my very first playthrough in FFX on the PS2 i kept all the Aurochs Members in my team.

On my other playthroughs i gathered all the "cool looking characters", it wasn`t important to me if they were good or bad, i got the players with the best character design haha :D , good days.

Edited by Emperor Golbez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Might as well use a blitzball thread that's the most latest one, though this one is for those that LOVE blitzball...

I do understand the mechanics of the game but somehow the execution is where I'm having problems at. I thought (based on the tutorial) pressing :square: give you the instant option to pass or shoot? Everytime I try to press :square: I end up with 3-4 opponents in front of me which makes shooting for a goal, or even pass the ball a failure. And the lack of a proper checkpoint reset? Let's not go there as I sense my blood pressure is about to shoot up!

What am I missing here... I go Manual A, get a clean run near the goal while enemies are trailing far behind and when I press :square: BAM, these jerk-offs are already challenging my shot! I was hoping I would be one of those (like you guys) who will be loving this part of the game - despite me HATING sports games on console.

Even during my NES days, I wasn't interested in that one and only football game the platform had. Playsation even more, no NBA, MLB, FIFA, PES, golf, cricket, rugby, what have you... and then here's my favourite RPG game puts in a quidditch-cum-basketball game in it... something which is kinda-off for a JRPG.

Anyway, rant over... I can't even seem to do a Jecht shot in that first tournament in Luca. I'm stuck here... stuck in the sense that I don't feel like playing FFX anymore... and they say Final Fantasy X-III, XIII-2 and Lightning Retruns are a disappointment where as they stayed true to JRPG's hack and slash and a few puzzles. Give me a mission that will face Penance 15 times, or even more I'll take that coz it's got a role-playing-game element... that's part of it... but a quidditch-cum-basketball which doesn't even make sense on how the players can BREATHE underwater is not what I consider JRPG-like.

I really want to like this part of the game, I really do... I just wished they had made it a minor and skip-able part of FFX.

-----

Also when you set the game on Auto, how automatic is that? Should I just let them do their own thing? I always try to interrupt the flow by pressing :triangle: and chose which side of the court should I defend. Is that the wrong way to approach this?

Edited by Naps

I put off Blitz as long as I could in my run for platinum. I remember vaguely enjoying it back on PS2, but becoming extremely bored with it. And, a decade later, that's still true, haha. Still, it's a better way to get key items than dodging the freaking lightning. I thought I was going to burst a blood vessel when I learned I had to do that again! :p

I thought (based on the tutorial) pressing :square: give you the instant option to pass or shoot? Everytime I try to press :square: I end up with 3-4 opponents in front of me which makes shooting for a goal, or even pass the ball a failure.

If you press square while the opponent's triangles are in your 'safety zone,' they will be on the defense. So the best you can hope for is either a speedy swimmer (like Brother) who can outrun them or a strong player who can either withstand or out-shoot/pass them.

Also when you set the game on Auto, how automatic is that? Should I just let them do their own thing? I always try to interrupt the flow by pressing :triangle: and chose which side of the court should I defend. Is that the wrong way to approach this?

I kept mine on Auto, and just controlled the player when they had the ball. It's not so terrible that you have to micromanage that much. After a little bit of practice and leveling up, you'll do fine. Also, depending on where you are in the game, recruit the highest team members. Svanda, Brother, Zev Ronso, Wakka, Tidus, and Yum Guado on goal are my preferred line up. But I also waited until endgame to play /any/ Blitz. This will affect the kind of team you make.

Edited by dmsdq

I put off Blitz as long as I could in my run for platinum.... it's a better way to get key items than dodging the freaking lightning. I thought I was going to burst a blood vessel when I learned I had to do that again! :p

I'm gonna really have to leave this for last. This, the lightning dodge and those two notorious Chocobo races! And I can relate to that aneurysm part! I think I can top that up with a potential stroke! This is my first time to play FFX as I skipped this and jumped straight onto FFX-2 back in the PS2 days so yeah I had nooooo idea about these headaches!

So the best you can hope for is either a speedy swimmer (like Brother)... I kept mine on Auto, and just controlled the player when they had the ball.... recruit the highest team members. Svanda, Brother, Zev Ronso, Wakka, Tidus, and Yum Guado on goal are my preferred line up... I also waited until endgame to play /any/ Blitz. This will affect the kind of team you make.

I'm gonna bear this in mind... In fact I think it's the route I will choose to take. Thanks for the tip. I don't know how to really go about with this game as there are so many ways to do it... one moment you want to complete all 10 fiends per area... then you change your mind to just go ahead to carry on, only to go back into fiend collecting :think: decisions... decisions... decisions...

... but one thing is for certain... I won't finish this game in a month! I see myself playing the other half come Xmas day... don't mind the long time it will take as long as I get to platinum both games. :whistle:

... but one thing is for certain... I won't finish this game in a month! I see myself playing the other half come Xmas day... don't mind the long time it will take as long as I get to platinum both games. :whistle:

Yeah, I just sat down and forced myself to complete the menial parts. I didn't leave The Calm Lands until I had the sigil. Once I had the no encounters armor, I forced myself through the Lightning Dancing. And now I just played a ton of Blitzball. I have to go through for Wakka's sigil still, but a break from all things Final Fantasy is doing me some good this weekend. After this platinum, I'll probably put down FF for a game or two, haha. Come back to X-2 after a few weeks...

One thing I did mess up that I just caught -- I didn't use Auto, I used Manual A. This sets it up to only control the player on offense. Another great thing that I forgot about is the All-Out Defense mode that you earn after winning enough games. It becomes a life-saver when fighting the Al Bhed and Guado teams. (With their speedy swimmers, and high goalie scores). Also nab Nimrook if the Al Bhed ever drop him. It makes the play so much easier.

• 1 month later...

I haven't picked this up for PS4 yet (hoping the wifey gets it for me for Christmas), but it was my favorite game back on the PS2. It's probably still my favorite game of all time. I'm really excited to play it again, but with even more awesome graphics. Blitzball used to be one of my favorite parts of the game. I spent close to 200 hours on the game, much of it being on blitzball. Hopefully this will be another 200+ hours of gameplay for $40 or whatever it costs this weekend.

• 3 months later...

was not a fan of blitzball in the begining, went to it eventually and got a few good key players and started to enjoy it, but after i finished it for the side items i stopped playing,

maybe its me but the lightning one did not bother me, i would just do it at night (wow that sounds so wrong) and listen to some music and count them out, finished it pretty quickly one evening

• 1 month later...

Put it this way - if they released a FFX Style Blitzball Sports game for £40, I would pre-order it.

I loved shipping off all the Aurochs and buying in random people from different towns and villages!

Still love putting the disc in the PS3 to have a blitz off every now and then.

• 1 month later...
Put it this way - if they released a FFX Style Blitzball Sports game for £40, I would pre-order it.

I loved shipping off all the Aurochs and buying in random people from different towns and villages!

Still love putting the disc in the PS3 to have a blitz off every now and then.

A little late to the party here, but agreed! I will forever love Blitzball! (Just started another FFX play to enjoy it, actually. FFXHD.)

did not have fun with it in the ps2 era, but after a while and i recruited a few people it became a bit more fun, still a grind yes for the weapons and other things but with music going it was not too bad

not looking forward to it again but oh well i want the platinum so i'll plow thru it