What's with the faces?

Calamaistr

One thing i keep noticing are a few ..facial features that are way off imo.. dont know if anyone of you guys noticed at all and im going mad or something but its becomming a serious peeve..

I mean i played the original so many times its not even funny so it cant be that i remember them wrong but as far as i remember Tidus didnt look like a anime girl and yuna had a much kinder, softer gaze. Now she looks kindof generic..

Theres also something off about wakka, but cant put my finger on it yet.

But the absolute worst are the portraits in the menus, they looks so freaking odd that im feeling restraint to go into the menus.. Especially the one for Yuna, It looks nothing, NOTHING like ..well.. Yuna.

Anyone here agree? Or am i truly going crazy..

Tidus was always pretty girly haha. But yeah I agree the in game and menu faces take some getting used to and are a little off putting at times when you've played the ps2 version to death.

The only issue I really had with it were as Sakura said, some of the expressions particularly during critical moments just don't reflect the emotion of the voice and I remember from the past.

Noticed the most when:

[spoiler=55]yuna is on trial in bevelle and asks whether all the death has been in vain to Mika... No where near the same impact

But these are small flaws in an otherwise amazing hd remaster :)

Dance? I never see them do that. It's always just the expressions for me--especially Tidus'. Though I must admit, the first few hours of Yuna speaking like she has a hard time doing so threw me off a bit too. It's like she's taking so long to speak.

Possible plot spoilers: Try to be very general about the scenes.

When Lulu tells Tidus not to tell Wakka about Yuna's background, he does some sort of dace when Lulu is talking.

There is a spot at Home, I believe, where Wakka dances during a cut scene.

There was another spot where Tidus dances for no reason during a cut scene, but I forgot the scene.

Oh, now I remember.

Yeah, I did notice the first one. I was thinking more like really dancing or making twitchy movements, lol.

Just looks funny when they are trying to have a serious scene and Tidus is doing the running man in the background or Wakka is doing some sort of Spira inspired dance

They did something very wrong with Tidus eyes. Putting wrinkles under them, like to make him looking older (or sleep deprived?). Also Yuna and Rikku look a bit more Japanese now. Or is it my impression?

Thats the HD for ya.

huh didnt even notice people replied to this thread, i thought noone did.. ohwell

I just cant keep my eyes off yuna in FF10 HD atm and its not cause shes pretty, its cause ITS NOT YUNA.

I made a small compilation proving my gut feeling anyway, she just doesnt look like yuna at all, its not yuna.. thats why i keep feeling weird whenever she walks around, it just feels like a freaking imposter the whole time in the game.. How could enix have done this :s i dont understand..

And here i was hoping for a HD ff8 release, but now im afraid they would 'cartoonise' the characters in that game too then, Tidus already looks like a kingdom hearts character, lulu has this.. uncanny valley thing over her.. its just all like theres no soul in them, as if they are puppets trying to look like the cast from the original.. im sure some of you will understand and perhaps agree with that.. :l

Ill keep playing cause the combat system is cool and im starting to enjoy hearing what they did with the music (save the battletheme, that one is just shit now) and am curious how certain bosses and aeons will look like but the story is completely raped imo, and yuna is too. There is just no life in them, it all feels weird and wrong.

Yuna had a soft puffy face, and calm soft gaze, the HD yuna has a slim face with prusing lips and a very cold empty gaze..and the hair color is WAY to dark aswell...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb228/Calaman/Calaman045/yunaraped_zps44070406.png

She looks like tifa.. perhaps even yuffie a bit :s

This isnt the character i fell in (not real) love with when i used to play this title on the ps2..

edit: i kindof want to make a complain letter to enix begging them to patch the game to give yuna back her blonde hair and cute face, rather than this generic shit head they put on her shoulders :[

Edited by Calamaistr

I'm not too crazy about the new character models, but I forgive it. Yuna actually looks more like her old play arts figure. I don't mind the changes, but all the characters feel like they lost some micro-emotions.

What is still CAN'T forgive is the horrible transition from X yuna to X-2 yuna. THAT is the real imposter. It was annoyingly noticeable on ps2 and is even more apparent in HD. The soft round face goes heart shaped, and the soft spoken broken voice acting is jarringly smoother in the next one.

Phew! Had to get that rant off my chest. What I do like though is how much I like rikku now. I didn't like her much back then, but love her now. Tara Strong did a great job. I find it humorous seeing rikku and tidus interact knowing that's Talwyn and Ratchet.

I'm not too crazy about the new character models, but I forgive it. Yuna actually looks more like her old play arts figure. I don't mind the changes, but all the characters feel like they lost some micro-emotions.

What is still CAN'T forgive is the horrible transition from X yuna to X-2 yuna. THAT is the real imposter. It was annoyingly noticeable on ps2 and is even more apparent in HD. The soft round face goes heart shaped, and the soft spoken broken voice acting is jarringly smoother in the next one.

Phew! Had to get that rant off my chest. What I do like though is how much I like rikku now. I didn't like her much back then, but love her now. Tara Strong did a great job. I find it humorous seeing rikku and tidus interact knowing that's Talwyn and Ratchet.

Yeah the moment rikku comes into my party in 10 she will stay in my party even against odds lol.

Love rikku, if i had to choose someone to be with in the whole universe of spira it would be rikku, shes awesome and supa cute. I felt like hugging her first time i set foot @ the thunder plains.

Edited by Calamaistr

Yeah the moment rikku comes into my party in 10 she will stay in my party even against odds lol.

Love rikku, if i had to choose someone to be with in the whole universe of spira it would be rikku, shes awesome and supa cute. I felt like hugging her first time i set foot @ the thunder plains.

lol. She is quite a character. My most favorite as well. Also she is the only one that seems to make some sense between them all! It must be an Al Bhed thing. ^_^

PS: I wouldn't exactly call PS2's Yuna "blonde" though! She always had brown hair. :p

lol. She is quite a character. My most favorite as well. Also she is the only one that seems to make some sense between them all! It must be an Al Bhed thing. ^_^

PS: I wouldn't exactly call PS2's Yuna "blonde" though! She always had brown hair. :p

Its dark blonde, i have the same type of hair so i know but they made it dark now.

Anyway i try so hard but i cant get used to her..weird and wrong face..

Its really killing the whole feel of the game for me, im just constantly hoping everyone shuts the hell up and i can go on fighting monsters somewhere.

Even considering just quitting the game and starting up FF10-2, i only finished that game like six times or so but never got all the dress-spheres cause i always missed something somewhere in the -all chapters 100%- stuff.

But thats a great game nevertheless and atleast yuna makes some sense in that looking differently due to she being a few years older.

But this, this is just so wrong it makes me sad for real.. :/

Everytime i have to tell myself "atleast the battle system is fun" ...i mean i cant return the game cause it had a code for final fantasy 13-3 the cunt returns, a game i dont even have or want to begin with. ;(

But even when i think of even if i could have returned the game i prolly wouldnt have cause im bored and i really like FF10s battlesystem and the growth and everything, just the story is boring now after having gone through it 200+ times.. but now i also need to constantly dig through ..THAT FACE.

And some of the music is shit now but some of the music is also cool now so meh.

sigh.

sighhhhh...

Wait until you get to FFX-2... Their faces are so weird. I played these games one million times and you're not alone, I also noticed how weird their facial expressions became.

Man im so happy with ppl like you atleast knowing im not alone in my suffering...

I didnt look some of the pics comparison for FF10-2 yet tho, i did notice Seymours mouth is all weird but he too misses the squint in his eyes, he used to squint and look like everything he said was sarcastic. Everything else about him so far is..ok.

When tidus asked yuna why she was smiling she was looking as cold as ever and it really confused me again. :/

Edited by Calamaistr

Personally I thought Yuna in the Menu/Opening/Zanarkand cut scene looked a bit psychotic. Like here eyes were showing insanity, but this could be just me.

The mouth syncing is what creeps my wife out the most. It's like watching an old japanese movie... Or better yet reminds me of Beeker from The Muppets, like his mouth flapping open and shut but the not synching with the meeping lol! :rofl:

But yeah this game makes most of them look totally different to the original. And Tidus and Waka's crazy dances are pretty weird! ;)

I guess there are four different versions of them: the original (PS2) version, the menu version, the FMV version, and the ones we get for cutscenes and the battles.

And all we needed was the kind smiling sweet face of ps2, but they had to make a cold weird face. Its like they put a thin head with a long nose and green hair on clouds body when they make ff7 :s

Its dark blonde, i have the same type of hair so i know but they made it dark now.

Nope. i would define this as brown. Even dark brown if you let me:

http://www.gamesthirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/yuna1.jpg

The most we can say is that she has some "meches" (highlights in English?).

Still, I believe you are over exaggerating it. Yuna still looks lovely. Maybe as if she had been a bit on a diet. :p