I wish there was a "Save Your Money" trophy

Michelasso

I haven't personally done it. Still trying to grind.

But there is a hundred strategies to do this. A popular one i come across is

BHPL

Auto Regen

Auto Haste

Auto Protect

cast cheer 5 times and attack the arms.

auto-regen gives more than enough hp and those arms should never get a turn

Also. there is already enough people complaining about the chocobo minigames. do you know how many people would rage at that trophy.

Edited by MikeMan54

Save Your Money - Gold

- Beat Penance without using Zanmato.

It really is a pity that there is no restriction regarding the use of zanmato on the Bosses. Its a jrpg so Grind to level your characters.

I was planning to use the exact same armour that mikeman posted. Already Build 2, currently farming from shinryu.

Back on PS2 i was too Lazy to build a new armour and it still worked with my dark aeon setup but i am having a lot more Fun this time with this game so why not.

Edited by CoregBlue

I've said a few times, I only did a few Dark Aeons back on the PS2. Only once did I think to even grind enough to go for Penance, but then I just drifted away from that idea, for whatever reason.

This time I definitely plan on doing it, and I'm going to pride myself on doing it without the use of Zanmato - the option I always choose when obtaining Yojimbo is supposedly the worst for it anyway (I always choose the top option).

I've never even thought about what armour I want/need for such fights. Back in the day, I only went as far as doing Break HP Limit and Ribbon. Only got as far as two or three pieces at that.

Looking forward to messing around with a few ideas. Mike's looks pretty sweet.

I haven't personally done it. Still trying to grind.

But there is a hundred strategies to do this. […]

Also. there is already enough people complaining about the chocobo minigames. do you know how many people would rage at that trophy.

Yeah, I hate the Chocobo races as well. But come on. I have read complaints for years from the Americans because they had no Dark Aeons, and now many (not just the Americans) just Zanmato all of them?

I was wondering how some people could take so little to platinum this indeed.

Regarding the strategies, sure there are plenty. My point was to force people to grind. Once they knew they couldn't beat the strongest boss in one move they would have enjoyed the other Dark Aeons battles as well. And even with a good strategy the Penance b*tch takes ages to go down! :D

i guess everyone wanted Dark Aeons back in the days before Trophies. where as now everyone wants a quick an easy way to beat them.

Well we from EU had them 12 years ago and i agree about the trophy Part although i do not understand people doing it since there is also trophy for completing the grid, why not train while you are at it?

You really earned your trophy and can be proud of your accomplishment, instead of having it on paper for completion without actually doing anything. How is this satisfying?

Oh well.

there really should be a trophy indicating you did NOT use zanmato, i mean, its not as if you need it. or at least a greyed out one indidcating people wussed out :)

i hate the morons who defend it with the pathectic "well its in the game" excuse. im sorry, but i thought they were called SUPER BOSSES, indicating they are meant to provide a chalenge.

Now that was a fight, around 45 minutes long but my tidus, wakka, rikku Team did it.

Had around 49k HP and armour with:

break hp limit

Auto haste

Auto protect

Auto Regen

On all 3. Mixed Ultra Null all and used a three star when his arms where gone, the rest of the fight was just following a pattern. Regen did a great job, only had to Mix rikkus final elixier once because penance kept attacking tidus for 7 turns straight one time.

Man this feeling, you only know it when you beat him without zanmato and realize your hard work payed off. Truly earned gold trophy :D

if an opponent is going to get too many turns in a row. just hold off on using overdirve, and defend once of twice. Usually spreads there attacks out a bit. Not sure how effective it would be on "super bosses" though.

But anyway. you more or less used the strategy i had in mind so its good to know it worked. I'll be sure to try it.

Man this feeling, you only know it when you beat him without zanmato and realize your hard work payed off. Truly earned gold trophy :D

Man, I can't wait for this.

Like I've said previously, it was something I never went for back in the day. I didn't even bother considering 'just doing it' with Zanmato.

I don't even know what Penance looks like, haha. :p

Again, congrats. :applause:

just keep the f**king arms dead, i can not stress the importance of him NOT getting a turn with his arms.

also, start the fight with Cheer 5 times, you'll take a noticably lower ammount of damage from his attacks, obliteration will do roughly 6500-7000 damage as opposed to nearly 10'000.

any items that reduce magic costs to 0 are pretty good too, whis way you wont waste turns later on, when his counter for Judgement is maxed.

and Dispel IMMEDIATLY after he uses Immolation, that shit is nasty, its basically a magic version of Full Break.

Congrats Coregblue and on the plat too! Was just wondering why you used ultra null all on penance? What would it help with specifically?

As for the super bosses I still don't like them or see the point of so many of them. I know people like to max things out in RPGs and take on really difficult bosses but with ffx there's just so much backtracking involved, it's not efficient. Well over half of my game time spent on this platinum will be grinding and doing tedious mini games and sidequests. Thats not a great ratio for a game and if there weren't trophies I wouldn't bother with these super bosses. For that reason I can see why people would want to take short cuts with zanmato. I'll do it manually because as mentioned you do have to max out the sphere grid and there are so many of these bosses, I might as well.

Now that was a fight, around 45 minutes long but my tidus, wakka, rikku Team did it.

Had around 49k HP and armour with:

break hp limit

Auto haste

Auto protect

Auto Regen

Congrats! So you took the BHPL route? Just out of curiosity.. How much Luck? Now I am not sure anymore, but I keep reading that 120 is needed while I am pretty sure I could go for 3/4 of the battle with Luck at around 60. This using Auto Life. Then at the end the monster uses a wide attack and it kept killing all my guys at once!

Why are people complaining about the way people play a game or how you should beat a boss :/ Seems kind of pointless to me. Using zanmato to kill any bosses seems to be just as valid as any other strategy.

Who said it is about other people? I hoped for this trophy (I really did) because I know I will go straight for Zanmato just to get the "ding". Promising myself to keep grinding and beat it as it must be done, as I will. Thus I also would like to see that effort recognized.

I was not asking for a No Sphere Grid/No Summons/No Overdrives trophy after all. That would have been a nightmare!! How do people manage to do it anyway.. o.0

Just wait until the HD Remaster of Final Fantasy XII... There's going to be some crying into the coffee that there is no quick, easy option to kill Zodiark, Omega, Hell Wyrm and best of all Yiazmat, lol... a 50 Million HP mark for a Gold Trophy. That'll be interesting..

Just wait until the HD Remaster of Final Fantasy XII... There's going to be some crying into the coffee that there is no quick, easy option to kill Zodiark, Omega, Hell Wyrm and best of all Yiazmat, lol... a 50 Million HP mark for a Gold Trophy. That'll be interesting..

i say bring it on, i love a challenge, thats why they are called "SUPER BOSSES" isnt it? :)

Yiazmats 54'000'000+ HP is gonna be insane but im up for it again :)

EDIT: also, Zodiark was not that hard, but im not as arrogant as to say he's an easy fight, i got lucky and he didnt use his worst attacks on me, i killed him off too quickly :)

Edited by AzzTheStickman

Yeah, I hate the Chocobo races as well. But come on. I have read complaints for years from the Americans because they had no Dark Aeons, and now many (not just the Americans) just Zanmato all of them?

I was wondering how some people could take so little to platinum this indeed.

Regarding the strategies, sure there are plenty. My point was to force people to grind. Once they knew they couldn't beat the strongest boss in one move they would have enjoyed the other Dark Aeons battles as well. And even with a good strategy the Penance b*tch takes ages to go down! :D

I completely agree, but then again, Square doesn't bother to give us a decent NG+ to use our pimped-out stuff. Sure, it's fun to create a character with max stats, but for what? At most 8 battles.

I personally am going for the gold on this (I still don't understand the point of "Auto-Protect" on this ultimate armor - if you're really serious, you'll go to 99,999 HP, so it's pretty much pointless anyway).

Why are people complaining about the way people play a game or how you should beat a boss :/ Seems kind of pointless to me. Using zanmato to kill any bosses seems to be just as valid as any other strategy.

No one said it wasn't a "valid" strategy, and I think you are as invested in the way people play games as anyone else here (that is, not at all).

Zanmato was a stupid attack. I thought it then, and I think it now. It was Square being lazy (to which they are quite accustomed).

They really make up for it in XII, however, when they decided to put a damage cap of 6999 halfway through on a boss with 55 million HP. This was also Square being lazy, but in a different way.

Edited by starcrunch061