Important Info: Not all versions of this game are the same...

paulcoe

I have recently obtained the platinum for Ferrari Challenge. This was not a simple or pain free experience so I though I would share what happened to help other people in the same situation.

As you may have seen from some of the other threads I have posted several comments about how hard I was finding this game. The difficulty did not seem to match the difficulty rating in the guide, the posts by many gamers and the videos I had seen on youtube. I have GT5 and wipeout HD platinums so i didnt think I should be finding it this hard.

After many weeks of hard playing I managed to complete most of the game. All I had left to do was arcade mode on intermediate, expert and legend. All of the other game modes and trophies had been completed.

However I had hit a complete roadblock on the second track on arcade intermediate - despite lapping almost perfectly I was still 2 seconds a lap too slow and no way I could see to improve enough to win the race. It did not look good for the platinum.

I emailed the developers regarding the apparently increased difficulty level and they emailed back with a comment of "sorry you are finding our game too hard" and "nothing has changed".

After much digging and messaging people I was contacted by benjkun who must have read some of my posts with a new piece of information. Apparently the version download from the store was much more difficult that the original disk version. A glimmer of hope for my platinum...

I finally obtained a copy of the disk version and 2 hours later I had completed arcade mode on all difficulties without losing a single race. There is only one thing I can deduce from this... the downloaded version is much more difficult than the disk version. I have no idea why or what different is but there is no denying there is difference.

The version I bought is the one with the front view of the Ferrari (code on disk was BLES-00166). When I first loaded up the new game I did not download the patch and I was unable to read my save file. I rebooted and downloaded the patch and my save file worked perfectly.

I have emailed the developers again but I have not heard back from them this time.... if I do I will post here.

Edited by paulcoe

Thanks for you doing research on this. So are you saying that a save file for the digital download can work for the disc version?

I do have it on disc, however it is NOT the original "Front view cover" but the "side by side-rear racing" DELUXE cover on disc. It does have the same BLES (European) code as yours but still I suspect, since it is a re-release it must be a disc version of the one on the PSN store - both are "Deluxe" versions and have the same "covers".

I'm going to get a copy of the original version, being an OLD circa 2008 game, it should be cheap, no?

I am considering deleting my game save so I can start fresh. Just thinking about losing the races I did on arcade more and the 25 "cards" I have already earn. But if it means I get to "progress" a lot in the game (rather than getting stuck on 5%), I would take the opportunity.

This game has left a dent on my pride coz I believe I am not THAT bad, have plat several racing games and I just can't accept the fact that this one is giving me the finger.

I will add inputs once I get a hold of the old game. Cheers for your research!

Edited by Naps

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip, the AI is a joke in the disc-version. Must've fixed that in the digital release.

If by "fixed" you mean... made it extremely challenging you are correct. I prefer to think they broke it in the digital version. The arcade mode was almost impossible. The disc version was too easier - so maybe some middle ground would have been better.

The interesting part is that the developers claim its the same code (I contacted them). They were a little patronising too with one email saying "I'm sorry you find our game too hard". Im still wording the reply to that comment but it isn't going to be pleasant :) I design large scale enterprise software for a living so I will be having a go at their "developer skills".

The interesting part is that the developers claim its the same code

First off thanks for the heads-up on how hard the digital version was, i bought it when on offer and i have Ferrari: Race Experience plat and thought how can pretty much the same game be so hard and i have gt5 plat so i know how hard plats can be.

So i bought the disc version and it is easier, after doing a little bit of investigating playing the disc version and downloading the trophy patch means you play with update 2.02, playing the digital version you automatically have version 2.03 so the coding is the same but it's the newer patch that makes the game nearly impossible to those who have the digital version.

Developers have made a mistake on the 2.03 patch that comes with the digital version and they won't be willing to admit to it or for that matter alter it.

I had this game when it first came out and was one of the first to platinum it without much difficulty. I just brought the double pack on disc with this and Supercar challenge to re earn trophies on a new account and I can confirm it's broken. It's almost impossible to win some races, the ai is completely broke on this version too.

Also, as a heads up, any DLC brought does not work with the double pack version.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this information. I was wondering why the AI is always much faster than me on the wet. :think:

Anyway, that doesn't even begin to describe my problems with this game. I can forgive the horrible soundtrack and the sluggish menus, but controlling the car in a consistent manner is almost impossible.

I have been playing all kind of racing games for the last 15 years. Starting with the very first Gran Turismo. I've experienced pretty much everything when it comes to these games. Arcade, simulator, arcade wanna be simulator, you name it, I've probably already had my hands on it.

However, this game just seams impossible for me. I can go trough the tutorial quite well, scoring over 80% in all areas. But come race day, and things just don't work.

Common problems being the braking. With ABS ON (on ANY value) the car just doesn't brake at all. I just don't feel the car is actually braking. And even if I turn it OFF the brakes have a feeling of on/off instead of braking slowly and progressively.

When I use my Driving Force GT the car just feels...empty. Like I'm driving one of those plastic battery cars. I feel the chassis is an empty frame and the steering is just a rod connected to the wheels.

If I turn into a corner, half way through it, the car just gives up giving me feedback. I feel the car's weight shifting, and the wheel fighting and then, suddenly, that initial fight back is no longer there, so I end up turning too much and oversteer. -and no. I'm not applying too much throttle causing the back end sliding.

I try to adjust the car settings and the driver assists, but these menus don't make that a pleasant experience.

I was just wondering, how the heck did you guys even managed to progress in this game anyway?

Edited by Deko Wolf

... this game just seams impossible for me. I can go trough the tutorial quite well, scoring over 80% in all areas. But come race day, and things just don't work.

... When I use my Driving Force GT the car just feels...empty. Like I'm driving one of those plastic battery cars. I feel the chassis is an empty frame and the steering is just a rod connected to the wheels....

I was just wondering, how the heck did you guys even managed to progress in this game anyway?

For starters, I played the game using the Dual Shock 3 controller and not the wheel so I guess that would definitely mean a big difference... It would most likely be much more challenging using the wheel. Though based on what I am reading, the wheel doesn't seem to make the cars behave "authentic" - or is it the other way around with the game not responding to the wheel as it should? But this would be contrary to the claim that this game is designed for "wheel" support. Hrmmm...

Anyhoo, I just PLAT this game a couple of months back as it stayed dormant for about 4 years. I found this game frustrating enough to complete and got stuck at 5%.

It just took a bit of tinkering on the "assist settings" as it was originally set to "full support" when I first played this game. Changing the settings to: Stability 3, Traction 3, ABS 4 (can be adjusted +1 -1 depending on the feel of the car) did the trick for me. After adjusting to that, I started earning trophies one after the other.

Contrary to what the guide had suggested, I started with the Trofeo trophies first, F340 Challenges second and Time Trials last. For the time trials, the best cars for me were the FXX and any GT car with a "spoiler" (great track traction and grip IMO). Try to find which one you can tame the best. You will eventually find your best "horse" when you do the Trofeo challenges.

I just felt so confident on finally conquering this game that I have added the Ferrari TRExp on my waiting list despite it being the same as FC.

Again, I was able to conquer this wild horse of a game by changing my settings and playing it on the DS3 controller. You must also know exactly when to drive "dirty" as the AI towards the end of the game starts to play a bit dodgy. No harm in driving the opposition off course once in a while... or just to give you a bit of extra lead time for an even more comfortable win.

Check the forum on "bugs" that can be helpful in acquiring specific trophies - The Infineion Bug for example, finishing the race without getting any collision damage or driving off track.

Also the Race Line... mind the race line and "obey" it like God's commandment - meaning when it flashes RED work on the brakes immediately. I had to retrain my brain from thinking out of the Need for Speed mentality. Brake even just a bit late and you go off course. Know which tracks can forgive you for skipping corners. Monza is one and I forgot which ones are the others. You can use other cars as "barriers" by doing a "side by side slamming maneuver" when trying to speed through tricky corners. Takes a bit of practice but this can be very helpful to keep you on the track without braking to much.

Hope this helps... I guess if you are not getting the desired results on the wheel, try playing with the DS3 instead. It may not be as exciting as using the wheel BUT it may make your road to the plat a lot easier IMO...

Cheers!

Edited by Naps

For starters, I played the game using the Dual Shock 3 controller and not the wheel so I guess that would definitely mean a big difference... It would most likely be much more challenging using the wheel. Though based on what I am reading, the wheel doesn't seem to make the cars behave "authentic" - or is it the other way around with the game not responding to the wheel as it should? But this would be contrary to the claim that this game is designed for "wheel" support. Hrmmm...

The biggest problem I'm having is the force feedback. In the majority of games, the wheel always returns to its neutral position. And I can feel the car's wheels fighting back to return to a straight line.

This Ferrari game however, doesn't seam to understand the difference between force feedback and vibration. Instead of getting the wheel back to its neutral position, it swings from side to side, simulation "vibration".

Anyhoo, I just PLAT this game a couple of months back as it stayed dormant for about 4 years. I found this game frustrating enough to complete and got stuck at 5%.

It just took a bit of tinkering on the "assist settings" as it was originally set to "full support" when I first played this game. Changing the settings to: Stability 3, Traction 3, ABS 4 (can be adjusted +1 -1 depending on the feel of the car) did the trick for me. After adjusting to that, I started earning trophies one after the other.

Indeed. The secret of this games does relay (a lot) on the assists. I'm used to not having traction control, but on this game, it seams like when your assists are set to OFF, everything happens randomly. The brakes have a chance of 50/50 to lock. The may or may not loose traction at the exit of a corner. And all of this makes the car unpredictable.

Contrary to what the guide had suggested, I started with the Trofeo trophies first, F340 Challenges second and Time Trials last. For the time trials, the best cars for me were the FXX and any GT car with a "spoiler" (great track traction and grip IMO). Try to find which one you can tame the best. You will eventually find your best "horse" when you do the Trofeo challenges.

I just felt so confident on finally conquering this game that I have added the Ferrari TRExp on my waiting list despite it being the same as FC.

It only seams natural to unlock the cars first and do the rest later. This game is pretty confusing and not very clear on the HOW TO unlock the cars.

I will follow your advice and it might even make this game fun after all.

Again, I was able to conquer this wild horse of a game by changing my settings and playing it on the DS3 controller. You must also know exactly when to drive "dirty" as the AI towards the end of the game starts to play a bit dodgy. No harm in driving the opposition off course once in a while... or just to give you a bit of extra lead time for an even more comfortable win.

The AI does seam a bit odd. They out brake themselves, crash randomly, and the worst thing is, they are very stubborn.

At the exit of a corner, if the AI is faster than me, instead of just overtake me, they stick to the racing line and follow it regardless if I'm already there or not. No matter how hard I push them back, they just carry on. Slowing us both down.

Check the forum on "bugs" that can be helpful in acquiring specific trophies - The Infineion Bug for example, finishing the race without getting any collision damage or driving off track.

That bug is indeed rather odd. As I qualified 1st, and during the rolling start, the 2nd car must have passed me, causing a yellow flag. I just pushed him out of the way and got 1st again. In the result screens however, it shows I never did an overtake.

Also the Race Line... mind the race line and "obey" it like God's commandment - meaning when it flashes RED work on the brakes immediately. I had to retrain my brain from thinking out of the Need for Speed mentality. Brake even just a bit late and you go off course. Know which tracks can forgive you for skipping corners. Monza is one and I forgot which ones are the others. You can use other cars as "barriers" by doing a "side by side slamming maneuver" when trying to speed through tricky corners. Takes a bit of practice but this can be very helpful to keep you on the track without braking to much.

Ah yes, the devious racing line. In Gran Turismo, the racing is purely a suggestion. You don't have to brake as soon as it turns red. You can either break immediately, after, or even during the red line, and you'll still make it around the corner. It lets you explore the best breaking point that is right for you.

In this game however, I feel like the racing line is a bit too ambitious. It tells you the exact point you should break, hence why I now try and break a bit earlier than that.

Hope this helps... I guess if you are not getting the desired results on the wheel, try playing with the DS3 instead. It may not be as exciting as using the wheel BUT it may make your road to the plat a lot easier IMO...

Cheers!

It has helped me A LOT. Thank you for the great tips. I feel like giving this game another chance and get that platinum. I can't thank you enough as I feel like you completely turned the game around for me.

Bearing in mind how hard the disc version was, that just sounds mental. Sure, it wasn't insanely hard, but I did resort to some underhand tactics to win some of the tournaments (winning opening races then sabotaging closest rivals to solidify my points lead). :p

I always considered my FERRARI CHALLENGE platinum quite a prestigious one, but I can't imagine ever doing it on a harder version of the game!

Hi guys,

I purchased the disk version of the game last year, but it is the "dual pack" that comes with the Supercar Challenge. I tried to play it this week, and discovered that some races are impossible to win. Then, i found this topic about the diferent versions of the game, and realised that mine may be broke too. I will buy the old 2008 version, because i really want the platinum. But before i buy the other version, i have some questions:

1) Is my version really broke?(the code is BLES-01451, purchased in Brazil) and a picture of it is in this link: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

2)Wich one of the "front view of the car" cover is the right one? Because one of them have a dark background (link ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting) an the other one has a translucent image of the new cover in the background and the Actvision logo (link

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting)

3) When i download the trophie patch, i will get only the trophies or my version will break too because the update?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

Edited by gafernandes1996

Hi guys,

2)Wich one of the "front view of the car" cover is the right one? Because one of them have a dark background (link ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting) an the other one has a translucent image of the new cover in the background and the Actvision logo (link

Hmm:think:

I don't have anyone of them two. I have seen the 1st cover in many stores, but the 2nd... Never.

I have this cover: http://www.thegamecollection.net/media/catalog/product/f/e/ferrari-challenge-trofeo-pirelli-with-super-car-challenge-ps3.jpg

I haven't play "arcade mode" yet soo i dont know if mine is the hard or east disk..

Ahh.. I see on your backcover: "The official game (copyright) 2008.. on my game it said 2009.

does it mean i have the hard game:confused: Maybe, because i cant beat any time on "Time trail" I'm over 6 sec behind the 4th time on Canada f1 track.

and Monza??? 1 place: 57 second???:confused::confused: How i beat that? Not even Schumacher can do that.

Hmm:think:

I don't have anyone of them two. I have seen the 1st cover in many stores, but the 2nd... Never.

I have this cover: http://www.thegamecollection.net/media/catalog/product/f/e/ferrari-challenge-trofeo-pirelli-with-super-car-challenge-ps3.jpg

I haven't play "arcade mode" yet soo i dont know if mine is the hard or east disk..

The cover image is almost the same as mine, but it may not be broken because this looks older than 2010 (because of the "Playstation 3" on the side, newer games have only the "PS3" logo on top)

The only thing I was unable to do with the "harder" version of the game was the arcade mode. After much struggling and a lot of hours the others were achievable.

If you found arcade super easy you should be good to get the platinum.

I keep forgetting to check back and look at this thread - feel free to send me PSN messages with questions/prompts to read your post here :)

Hi guys,

I purchased the disk version of the game last year, but it is the "dual pack" that comes with the Supercar Challenge. I tried to play it this week, and discovered that some races are impossible to win. Then, i found this topic about the diferent versions of the game, and realised that mine may be broke too. I will buy the old 2008 version, because i really want the platinum. But before i buy the other version, i have some questions:

1) Is my version really broke?(the code is BLES-01451, purchased in Brazil) and a picture of it is in this link: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I managed to complete everything except arcade mode, some were a real struggle though. One thing that I struggled with for a long time was I couldnt get my head focussed I was always thinking are my settings wrong, whats wrong with the game etc... Once I accepted it and concentrated on the game I made more progress but still was unable to complete arcade mode.

I think mine was the black background... I can check my PC when I get home as I have the photo I used to sell it on eBay :)

3) When i download the trophie patch, i will get only the trophies or my version will break too because the update?

I was able to delete the game data from the downloaded version, insert the disk for the new version and download the patch. Everything worked ok for me even the save game loaded up ok. Backup your save game first though just in case.

Good luck with this very frustrating game!!!

I have the one with the translucent image in the background (the manual was plain black).

This is the one i am going to buy.

What is weird is that some of them have the Actvision logo, when i belive that there is nothing Actvision related in this game...

Again, thanks Paul and the other guys who helped me. I will post my platinum experience as soon as i get it. :D