Boosting threads for members only.

McLean1984

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this suggestion in, but what about making the boosting threads viewable to members only?

The reason I put this forward is because I've found that I've been getting alot of non-members sending me PSN friend requests asking to boost and I've not seen them post on here.

I figured it would be better for the forum if, rather than just lurking, they actually signed up and made a contribution, even if a small one.

are you sure they are non-members? Most people dont have the say username as their PSN account.

Yeah, I'm sure. I asked them to post on this forum and add their name to a list for a boosting session I was putting together. One said he wasn't on this forum and asked me if I'd just add his name for him and another one has registered today to add his name. I didn't get replies from the others.

Edited by McLean1984

I figured it would be better for the forum if, rather than just lurking, they actually signed up and made a contribution, even if a small one.
i really dont see the need to make oe if all they plan on doing is offering boosting, and they dont plan to stay Edited by Doug-E-Fresh1994

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this suggestion in, but what about making the boosting threads viewable to members only?

The reason I put this forward is because I've found that I've been getting alot of non-members sending me PSN friend requests asking to boost and I've not seen them post on here.

Wow you know all 80,000+ members, pretty impressive ;)

Wow you know all 80,000+ members, pretty impressive ;)

:confused:

Did you not read my previous comment? You know, the one where I explain I've had friend requests from people wanting to boost and admitting they're not on this forum?

The only way to do that is to force people to register so that they can see the forums. That's not going to happen.

Well it's not really forcing people to register. They have a choice to do it or not.

I just thought I'd throw a suggestion out there that benefited the members here, as I'll only accept people into the boosting session I've put together if they add their name to the list I've posted on this forum. Personally, I think that's being fair to the community here rather than giving benefits to the lurkers, but if you're saying it cannot be done then okay.

Edited by McLean1984

To be fair, there's enough assholes that HAVE registered who do exactly the same as the yuppies your on about.

Bad boosters are bad boosters. members or not. making them sign up isnt going to make them change their ways.

This!

Even members with a lot of posts on here, have been known to be bad boosters. The only time i've had a good experience from someone on here was with someone with limited posts, who actually bothered to contact me here first :whistle:

What makes you think people are being forced to do anything though? They're not, the choice is there's, it's simply a case of rewarding those who want multiplayer trophies the chance to get involved by being part of this forum. Also, it's not "just to view a thread" either. They're getting the opportunity to obtain the trophies they want by becoming part of the community.

Some other forums I'm on have "bargains and offers" sections where member's post vouchers, discount codes and the likes, however, it's only available to people who register and post. I know those forums rely on advertisments and affliate programs to operate, I'm not sure if that's the case here, but it works because the forum is rewarded with increased membership and increased hits in exchange for these lurkers getting the things they've been hijacking previously.

Regardless, the admin have already said it's not possible on this forum so I guess it doesn't matter.

Edited by McLean1984

:confused:

Did you not read my previous comment? You know, the one where I explain I've had friend requests from people wanting to boost and admitting they're not on this forum?

Yes I did, are you having trouble understanding what you write. I bolded it as well if it helps you see it better. There are 80,000 members and if you are claiming you know all of them, well....:facepalm:

Yes I did, are you having trouble understanding what you write. I bolded it as well if it helps you see it better. There are 80,000 members and if you are claiming you know all of them, well....:facepalm:

Roughdawg4, I don't know if you're in a bad mood, or if you're spoiling for a fight, but it would help if you took the time to read the post I made yesterday at 11:12PM (or whatever time that is where you are).

No where have I claimed to know all of the 80,000 members on here so I don know why you're coming out with this nonsense. I was merely stating that I was getting PSN friend requests from people wanting to boost, who I'd not seen posting on the threads where I'd put together a session (or sometimes not even that), then when asked if they'd put their name to the list on here they responded that they weren't members.

Edited by McLean1984

For reasons completely unbeknownst to me, I still get nobodies who request for me to help them out on various games.

This baffles me for a few reasons.

1. I get messages for games that I've never requested help with via boosting threads......The biggest culprits seem to be Spec Ops on MW2, Hearting on LBP and FIFA Ranked match boosting.

2. I'm completely against the notion of boosting and everything it stands for....I'll only ever request help for others if thats what the description of the trophy stands for (EG. Playing a 10 v 10 game in FIFA)

I believe people message me though, just because I'm one of the more active people on the site and people just ASSUME that I'll help them......Not. A. Chance. In. Hell.

Another thing I think should be noted is that nobody likes to be the person who arranges the boosting sessions......I always see posts saying, "Looking to boost this, please add me."

I rarely see posts where people actually take the initiative and say, "I'll be boosting this at [insert time] on [insert day], if you're interesting message me, I'm looking for X amount of people."

Theres way too many people who just register to drop their name into a thread and hope someone will take charge of a session and invite them too it......It all boils down to pure laziness.

Edited by SimplySupreme

Regardless of any proposed benefits this might have, I don't like it. People don't need to sign up for the forums to help the site grow. Just coming here to the site at all both increases the traffic numbers and shows them some ads, both of which are good things for us. Taking away anything, not just boosting threads, from non-registered members only hurts us. If all of a sudden people are required to sign up to see any part of the game forums, some might sign up, but some are also going to say "Okay, screw this site then, I'll just go somewhere else." It will also bring around bad word of mouth too. Overall I see a lose-lose situation for everyone if this idea was implemented.

If you only want to boost with other members of the site, that's easy enough for you to do on your own. In your post in the boosting thread, just say something like "I am only looking for registered members of the site to join my session" and the smart people will just skip over your post and look at another. Of course, there will be stupid people who message you anyway (as SS pointed out), but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Most of them are probably registered and just don't post in the thread. Thats what I do. The reason I do is because after one month goes by I still get assholes that ask to boost for that game.

Just because you get people asking to boost and don't see them in the thread, does not mean they are not a member thats my point. Either way its a moot point because it won't happen so this thread needs the big ol :locked:

:facepalm: Okay before you two keep going back and forth, I'll just do what McLean won't for whatever silly reason:

Yeah, I'm sure. I asked them to post on this forum and add their name to a list for a boosting session I was putting together. One said he wasn't on this forum and asked me if I'd just add his name for him and another one has registered today to add his name. I didn't get replies from the others.

So he does know they aren't registered. Okay?

Regardless of any proposed benefits this might have, I don't like it. People don't need to sign up for the forums to help the site grow. Just coming here to the site at all both increases the traffic numbers and shows them some ads, both of which are good things for us. Taking away anything, not just boosting threads, from non-registered members only hurts us. If all of a sudden people are required to sign up to see any part of the game forums, some might sign up, but some are also going to say "Okay, screw this site then, I'll just go somewhere else." It will also bring around bad word of mouth too. Overall I see a lose-lose situation for everyone if this idea was implemented.

Nonsense.

It isnt exactly irregular practise to make people sign up in order to see the contents of a forum.....It happens everywhere.

If people arent willing to merely sign up to the site in order to do something as simple as gain forum access, then you have to question whether or not they'd actually be a main contributer to the site anyway.

I seriously doubt people would just condemn the site to anyone and everyone, just because the site requested that they merely sign up.

If you ask me, I think the fact that people CAN see the forum is the main reason we dont have as many users as we possibly could......People can browse anonymously, find out all the tips without registering and need not return, thus eliminating the need to sign up entirely.

Like I said, those who DO sign up will only do it to drop their name in a boosting thread and hope for the best.....hardly advancing the site if you ask me.

Edited by SimplySupreme

It's not that it's impossible to do. It's pretty easy. We could set up the site so that you have to be a registered member to view certain forums. That's not something we're going to do though. It's possible, but we're not willing to do so. Let me explain why.

Everything on the site is available to all who want to view it. It's more than just boosting threads. If we block unregistered members, then they also can't see any other thread that could help with a trophy. There are more unregistered people that use the site than registered members. That's just a fact. I'm not going to cut off their access to the forum.

Yes, there are unregistered people that will send you messages on PSN if you post in a boosting thread. One way to avoid this is to delete your own post after you're done boosting the trophies that you need.

If people arent willing to merely sign up to the site in order to do something as simple as gain forum access, then you have to question whether or not they'd actually be a main contributer to the site anyway.
The world doesn't revolve around people contributing. Just coming helps, and if all of a sudden people were denied access to reading the forum unless they sign up, some people would sign up and never post, and some people would just go somewhere else. There is nothing to gain here, just lose.