The "Is PSN Down?" Thread

jqtaxpayer

I was thinking we could have a thread over in Tech Center about whether or not PSN was down. Sony, having absolutely no concept of what the term "Customer Service" signifies, is typically uncommunicative about outages, and posting a thread every time we have problems with PSN is a recipe for forum clutter.

Maybe we could lead the thread off with what the error codes mean (i.e. 80710092, 80710723, etc.), which people could consult before posting "Is it down for everybody or do I just not know how to set up a wireless router?"

There's already a stuck (and locked) thread from the Great PSN Outage if you'd like to just re-purpose that, but a new one would probably be less confusing for people. Just don't forget to un-stick the other, I guess.

Anyway, that's my idea. My apologies if it's already been suggested -- I assure you, such an error would not come from malice, but merely from laziness.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

I don't think its a bad idea, although you would have to have it by region ;)

Or have people post their location like they do in the boosting threads.

i find it a good idea but i dont think some people will look to stickied thread when psn is down. :think:

Some create boosting threads even though every game's forum has a stuck thread for that very purpose. When this happens, we tell them to use the stuck thread, a mod locks the duplicative thread and the problem is resolved, at least until someone else makes the same mistake. Most of PS3T's members are at least bright enough to check the posts on the leading page of a forum before posting a duplicative thread, so I don't think the scenario you present would become an issue.

yea regional Psn status thread. I like it

Thanks much, Mr. Fresh.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

I guess it depends on how it would be put together. If it's going to have updates and info about specific regions, then it would probably be ok. If it's going to turn into a joke along the lines of: Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?, then it's probably best not to have it. :p

I guess it depends on how it would be put together. If it's going to have updates and info about specific regions, then it would probably be ok. If it's going to turn into a joke along the lines of: Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?, then it's probably best not to have it. :p

I strongly support the regional status thread it should be a sticky in the is ps and yech centre forums

The thread as I posed it would serve to let members know whether anyone else in their region was also experiencing connectivity issues, whereas your interpretation of my idea would involve more official info. The problem we'd run into with such a thread is that if Sony refuses to divulge timely and relevant info on PSN connectivity, let alone security breaches, then where could PS3T possibly get such information? At that rate, aside from the instances where Sony announces network maintenance in advance, I think continual updates would have to be limited to something along the lines of...

• Last reported issue in EU: 6/3/11
  • Last reported issue in NA: 6/19/11
  • Last reported issue in JP: 6/19/11

Of course, our members could get the same info just by perusing the last page or two of the proposed thread.

An "Is PSN Down?" thread's usefulness begins with whether other members can confirm or deny that they're having similar connectivity issues. As to whether or not we could devise a way that such a thread's usefulness wouldn't have to end there, I don't know, but I think especially after the massive outage -- which had me thinking that my console or network was all screwed up until Sony decided to divulge scant details on an unprecedented security breach a week later -- a place to confirm whether or not others were having connectivity issues would be very comforting to me.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

If it's going to turn into a joke along the lines of: Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?, then it's probably best not to have it. :p

Is it Christmas?

But in all seriousness, I think that this thread would be a good idea, especially seeing how long it's been for, etc.

In terms of just seeing if it's up or down, I know that if I go to nz.playstation.com (no idea about other regions), it has a little icon showing whether the PSN is up or not.

Edited by Coop

why not create the thread, and then designate a person from each region to update a post??

so, jqtaxpayer would be in control of post 1, and would post all updates for the NA region

another user from the EU region would control and update post 2

and a third user from the JP region would control and update post 3

this way, there is a dedicated person for each region, but all the information is still contained within one thread??

isn't there a PS3 Error Codes sticky thread?

i thought that the error thread covered most if not all problems?

but thats just me

yea but we know the way it goes, psns down and 30 threads ask why cant i sign in.

this is the first place i go when i try to sign in and cant so this would be easier on me and anyone else for that matter

and i dont stare at the code i just want to know if its me or the psn shit

Edited by Doug-E-Fresh1994

I like the idea of different people doing different regions, makes more sense if people actually from those regions could update it

Another issue is sometimes when its down in certain countrys within a territory e.g. Iceland's PSN being down in the EU. It would have to be specific to certain countries as well ;)

I was thinking we could have a thread over in Tech Center about whether or not PSN was down. Sony, having absolutely no concept of what the term "Customer Service" signifies, is typically uncommunicative about outages, and posting a thread every time we have problems with PSN is a recipe for forum clutter.

Maybe we could lead the thread off with what the error codes mean (i.e. 80710092, 80710723, etc.), which people could consult before posting "Is it down for everybody or do I just not know how to set up a wireless router?"

There's already a stuck (and locked) thread from the Great PSN Outage if you'd like to just re-purpose that, but a new one would probably be less confusing for people. Just don't forget to un-stick the other, I guess.

Anyway, that's my idea. My apologies if it's already been suggested -- I assure you, such an error would not come from malice, but merely from laziness.

good idea, but...

1. you can easily see the psn status on playstation.com (or their regional websites) on the top right corner: green dot or red dot

2. psn isn't really down a lot in general; maintenance happens rarely and another hack attack is very unlikely now hopefully

3. it's doubtful that the thread will stay up to date

okay, i'll volunteer then :D

I think this thread would be helpful if kept up with especially if you provided some other info. making it worthwhile to visit regularly. What you might do is provide visitors with information on when the store updates, when a new system update is out, and if there is an outage explain what type of problem, and list the estimated time it is going to be coming back (if there is one). For example, many people wait for DLC to be published and don't know if a store update has gone through yet. Sometimes a map pack will update at midnight and other times the store won't update until 8 PM at night. This would be nice to know by checking a thread here. Members could also post when they know something to make it easier on you.

Also, if you started this thread then how about a linked post in here?

I think this thread would be helpful if kept up with especially if you provided some other info. making it worthwhile to visit regularly. What you might do is provide visitors with information on when the store updates, when a new system update is out, and if there is an outage explain what type of problem, and list the estimated time it is going to be coming back (if there is one). For example, many people wait for DLC to be published and don't know if a store update has gone through yet. Sometimes a map pack will update at midnight and other times the store won't update until 8 PM at night. This would be nice to know by checking a thread here. Members could also post when they know something to make it easier on you.

Also, if you started this thread then how about a linked post in here?

i have not started a thread like this yet, but will start one today. thanks for all the suggestions. i will do my best to gather as much information as possible, and see what i can gather to a single place.

does everyone like the idea of having a person from each region to update their respective post? if so, i need someone from EU and JP to create their posts after i have created the thread.

thanks!