Far Cry 3 Loves and Hates

RauCHeN ToKEN

I made this thread because the world is so huge someone may have found something that they absolutely love in this game or absolutely hate.

I love the radio towers. I love the sense of vertigo that you get when you are at the top.

I love how the game is a mix between battlefield, assassins creed, dead island and a sprinkle of borderlands.

I love how massive and beautiful the world is.

I love how when you drive over a cliff or drop from a glider you lean back in your seat and actually cringe.

I love the co-op and how it supports actual teamwork. My friend and I had a blast doing it and we want more.

-------------

I don't like in the beginning all the tutorials and stuff and how they stay on the screen until you open them

I don't like the auto-aim, it makes it too easy (yes, I know it can be turned off)

Something on neutral on is the trophy difficulty. It's really easy to get the plat so I wish there was more (which may come with DLC)

--------

What are some of your love/hates in this game?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some of your love/hates in this game?

I love all of the things you mentioned. I jumped off a high cliff into some water the other day and, for a couple of seconds, I actually felt as though I was falling.

I can't really think of what I dislike about the game. There was one point in the story where [spoiler=ID]Vaas throws a can with petrol inside it at you, I'm pretty sure some pours out on to you (if I remember correctly). Vaas then lights the place on fire and you don't go up in flames... I don't know how no one picked up on that when making the game but it just really irritated me, I may be wrong about any pouring on you though.

And I kinda do dislike how short the game is. I only rented it for 5 days and am pretty much finished and still have it for two days.

I love how open world this game is

I love how maganificent this game looks without all the glitches of skyrim (fuck skyrim)

I love how this game plays like cod, but has rpg elements and sandbox

I love how they took the tedium of the last game and basically made it real balanced.

I absolutely love how the natives have New Zealand accents (thats where I am from) and they say Kia'Ora (hello) and Ka Kite (good bye) So blown away.

I hate how glitchy coop can be

I hate how everyone keeps playing first few levels of coop

I hate how hosting coop matches is random

I hate how after you done everything in the game theres nothing else to do

Edited by VaNiDgE

Love: everything. Other than...

Hate: it's too short, this is the only game I have tried my best to drag it out for a long time, and been a little disappointed when the platinum did pop up. I say disappointed, what I mean is I am gutted to have done everything I can. Not disappointed to have the platinum, I'm very happy to have it in my collection. This might be one of very few games I am going to keep instead of sell on, purely so I can play any DLC.

There was a ton of great things about it, but it would have been nice if some characters got more time in the game like the good doctor, also almost all my fave characters died and only one i really wanted to see die the whole time.

Also the whole quest arc around the knife made me think that Jason was going to end up running int some precurser ruins and i was sure he did get his hands on a artifact. That was really cool.

But yeah great story, characters, game play and hopefully you came out of the jungle and didn't get swallowed by it whole in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the game so far, the only thing I hate are the lack of saving co-op progress (me and my dad were playing the first mission on split-screen, got to the point where you have to defend the generator on the docks, failed that a few times. We then decided to do something else for a bit, so we switched off. We came back to it a little while longer, just to find out we had to start from scratch. We lost a few hours of gameplay -_-

And as Luke said above, Crocodiles, only had one encounter so far, but it scared the shit out of me xD

I was running from some bad guys after running out of ammo, I ended up swimming through some cave, I was thinking to myself "I better not get eaten by a Crocodile" I made it through the tunnel without a scratch, saw a bank onto the ground, made a beeline for it. A few meters away from safety, a crocodile came along all like "Rawr" and tried munching on me. But I stabbed it :D

Loving the game so far, the only thing I hate are the lack of saving co-op progress (me and my dad were playing the first mission on split-screen, got to the point where you have to defend the generator on the docks, failed that a few times. We then decided to do something else for a bit, so we switched off. We came back to it a little while longer, just to find out we had to start from scratch. We lost a few hours of gameplay -_-

How can you take that much time? Me and a friend did each of the missions in about 40 min. :p

But they were probably the worst co-op missions in any game to date...

The game was overall very good, I honestly didn't expect it to be that good, especially after playing its predecessor. Jason was a very likable character, one I enjoyed playing from start to end. I just love the idea of taking an average person and putting them in drastic situations that change their overall personality, made everything seem more realistic in a way. The gameplay was solid, the idea of radio towers and outposts were great while they lasted, but sadly once you complete those two, the free roam aspect of the game started to die out for me. I just wish the story mode was a bit more lengthy, and the developers put more of an emphasis on the actual side missions in the game.

Love:

• The world itself, and how fun it is to explore
  • Radio Towers, just standing at the top is very "I'm king of the world!" worthy.
  • Gun play/weapon physics. This game does it right. CoD is designed for unrealstic full auto pew pew pew, Battlefield over does it on the recoil to force burst firing. This game allows you to control full auto enough for it to be an option, but not accurate enough to dominate to encourage burst fire.
  • Wingsuit
  • Hang Glider
  • Wingsuit

Hate:

• Driving physics. I at one point just said "DONE!" to cars in this game. Waste of time and effort. ATVs are exceptionally stupid.
  • Animals are sponges. I love hunting, I spent more time doing that than story. But I shouldn't be dumping multiple magazines into a tiger. Or an entire quiver of arrows into the ass of a cougar.
  • How OP sniper rifles are. Seriously, you pick up the first bolt action with a suppressor and you're jesus. Get the .50cal, and you're god. Made 90% of the outposts boring and easy as you could just shoot out the alarms and OHK everyone else. Even a heavy with the .50cal.
  • How OP you can get early on. This is mostly down to how you approach the game, and I love that you get a chance to play around as an OP mad man through a good portion of the game instead of the last 10 minutes like most games. But I was OP before even reaching the 1/4 mark. Made the story missions a bit tedious by the end.

• [spoiler=Herpavonderp] That mission where you have to steal a privateer uniform. Every other mission allows you to approach how you want. This one forced you to rock huck your way through a linear corridor, where luck was just as important as your rocking throwing ability, and completely broke pace and immersion in the game. If there was any mission that almost made me wanna quit out, it was this one. Luckily it only took a few minutes.

Poker. Normally I love me some good Hold Em'. But this game has repeat cards in the decks. So it removes any notion of determining your odds with the cards. Ooo. I have two 6's, and there's two sixes on the table. Obviously no one else can have a six. Why do 2 other people end up with three 6's? Its stupid. I'll stick to RDR to fill my virtual poker fixes.
Boss fights. Talk about anticlimactic. I know a shootout wouldn't really be dramatic as one well placed shot would end everything. But a quick time event isn't a good substitute. [spoiler=magicinkmonster] and the ink monster wasn't good either. It was just a derpathon with explody bolts, again taking away your freedom of approach. The freedom of approach is what makes this game special. The few missions where that's taken are the absolute low points of the game 

I know this post seems fairly negative overall, but I do actually love this game. It was a blast to play, and I'm sad I'm only collectables and coop away from platinum after only 16 hours of play time. Besides, all gripes are extremely minor. Nitpicky if you will.

Hate:

• [spoiler=Herpavonderp] That mission where you have to steal a privateer uniform. Every other mission allows you to approach how you want. This one forced you to rock huck your way through a linear corridor, where luck was just as important as your rocking throwing ability, and completely broke pace and immersion in the game. If there was any mission that almost made me wanna quit out, it was this one. Luckily it only took a few minutes.

I enjoyed that mission once I realized [on failing couple times] that enemy AI is not 100% fixed. I did that thrice just to try a totally different approach. Sometimes one enemy would respond to rock, other times 4 of them would, making me think on the fly. Luck had nothing to do with it, just a matter of patience and quick thinking.

Loved the gameplay. Which, you know. That's the whole ballgame, really.

Found a way to love the dumb-as-rocks dialogue. Basically by saying every line that the characters said in an extremely loud voice during cutscenes.

Hated (still hate) the clunky, joyless co-op. Co-op can be hard and tedious when it provides meaningful rewards, the purest being a sense of accomplishment, but this and these ain't them. After Syndicate (which I think did co-op brilliantly, and which actually plays in all technical ways like FC3 co-op... so the problem is probably hidden somewhere in there) I'm spoiled. Wish I'd tackled these trophies before enjoying single player. With everything else done and no other trophies to get, co-op became the steamed eggplant* shoved aside on a plate until well after the main meal and dessert, still waiting to be eaten, less appetizing than ever.

Speaking of waiting to be eaten, super special hated co-op dogs. What the fuck!

*Or the disgusting childhood food of your choice.

Edited by arbiekko

I loved how it felt like real island, and that most of the relics were in places you might actually find such things (little shrines, ruins, sunken ships, etc.)

I was fine with the co-op but yeesh if you have co-op maps that take 40 mins to an hour to finish your servers need to be able to stay up that long.

Edited by jh7459

I enjoyed that mission once I realized [on failing couple times] that enemy AI is not 100% fixed. I did that thrice just to try a totally different approach. Sometimes one enemy would respond to rock, other times 4 of them would, making me think on the fly. Luck had nothing to do with it, just a matter of patience and quick thinking.

You see I call that inconsistency. Even when they didn't respond, I wasn't forced to change my approach, I was forced to throw a rock in the same exact place until the non-responding AI would respond. Being forced through a blatantly linear path doesn't really allow for multiple approaches. It allows for forcing a predetermined approach until it works.

I loved everything about this game.

I hate when I go hunting and shoot an animal in the head with any weapon. It requires 2 or 3 bullets. It seems like they are invincible! Besides the rare animals, I get that they can absorb a bit more; especially the Undying Bear. But still normal animals cannot absorb that much.

Love:

• Agree

Hate:

• Driving physics. ATVs are exceptionally stupid. *Agree

•  
  • Poker. I'm not a card player. But I do understand the basics of Poker. Needless to say, I was fucking lost playing poker in this game. LOST.

• Boss fights. These were my biggest complaint. PRIMARILY HOYT. The quick time was so quick, I couldn't get the hand/eye coordination to respond fast enough to satisfy the game. You know an actual fist/knife fight would have been rather entertaining. :think:

This is one of the funnest games I have played in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hell, even bought my brother a copy of it for Christmas. Can't wait for DLC.

P.S. I love waiting for Alpha's reviews. They're usually pretty spot on and accurate. Alpha you should start a review thread, and be forced (by gun point if necessary) to review every game every made. :applause:

I didn't particularly love or hate anything about the game: the outposts and wanted dead missions kept me absorbed; the rest of the "free roam" stuff was pretty by-the-numbers - vaguely engaging without being in any way outstanding; the actual story missions were kind of a snooze, but they didn't offend me in any way that would make me hate them...

All in all, an average game and nothing more to me; the insanely over-the-top critical praise the game is receiving does make me think that if it's remembered for anything (like, say, in about 5 years' time) it will be for being one of the most weirdly overpraised games of this console "generation".

am enjoying the whole story side of the game (haven't met a croc yet :dance:) love running about and taking out posts and radio towers.

I enjoy the co op but that is where all the bugs are voip is rotten laggy and (maybe this has only happened to me) the guns auto shoot occasionally shoots a whole clip before you have full control again and has happened a few times in same mission (running through it all again so a friend can get the trophies)

I've got to say I'm not keen on the camera motions, especially throughout cutscenes. Also, if I'm nitpicking the sound when you enter pause menu or the map!

I do like the open aspect. I can set a task to do such as hunt, clear outpost or radio tower for example, and then just get sidetracked exploring the island.

I haven't been playing too long and what I have has been a lot of side content and hunting to improve items and gear.

Love:

• The area (a really well done open world). Probably my second favorite open world so far.
  • Radio towers - making things free in the shop while completing the map is awesome.
  • Ziplines - I hated in Assassin's Creed series where some points didn't have a quick way down.
  • The fact that I have a silenced sniper rifle.
  • Certain skills and powerups.
  • The shotgun puts down most animals pretty fast.
  • Difficulty does not matter for platinum (very clever way to have more people play your game and lends to a greater audience in general).

Hate:

• Line of sight doesn't work properly - I shouldn't be seen crouching behind 3 bushes after a sniper rifle attack especially when playing though on easy mode.
  • Being surprised by so many predators when I am preoccupied doing something else or the number of how many predators there are.
  • The fact that that doofy bird (Cassoraway?) is even a predator; packs of rabid dogs.
  • Sprint sway. First Person view shouldn't be like that in a video game; no idea why it even made it to games as it doesn't even happy in real life unless holding a camera or something.
  • Enemy AI seems unpredictable and random at times and rock throwing often feels ineffective.
  • Not so much hate but I would have liked to see classic skills like 'damage reduction' and so on.
  • Camera "feels" odd (probably just to me though).
  • The vehicles are just awful.
  • TWICE I have been teamkilled after clearing an outpost because comrades drove in too fast while I wasn't looking and killed me.

Overall, I have to say that I'm enjoying the game though. There are some things I'd definitely change though. Especially with enemy AI.

Edit: It would be nice if the game had a "new game plus" option or an option to replay missions. Its nice when there are a few things to do after you beat the game. Also, it isn't bad but I wish my "weapon wheel" halted time. I've missed a few killing opportunities due to real-time. Nothing wrong with it though.

Edited by ADDX

LOVE:

-the environment - gorgeous, just exploring, the real sandbox nature of this open world game

-hunting and the random attacks by animals you are not ready for;

- the well-done progression system of builing up ammo, holsters, syringes, skills, etc

-enjoy the varied weaponary like the bow and flamethrower

Dislike:

- the unevenness of the difficulty and the checkpoints. Some checkpoints only after 4 waves of enemies meaning you have to replay all, and then other checkpoints just for walking down a cave.

- as others said, some animals like tigers and buffalo are sponges and take way too many gunshots, and unphased - not staggering or bleeding out, until they finally die

Great game though