Spoiler Tags

mjc0961

Spoiler tags must be used when revealing a story/plot related spoiler. Posting **SPOILERS** in the thread title is not acceptable and will not prevent action be taken against the spoilers.

When in doubt use the tags then there will be no issues.

It's always judged on a case by case decision, whether it is reported by a user or a staff member notices it. If we are unsure how much of a spoiler it is, it will be passed to a staff member who has played or owns the game in question to decide.

For example, Heavy Rain. If someone posts the identity of the Origami Killer without using spoiler tags they will be temp banned. Lesser spoilers will see the user warned in most cases, especially if it was the first time.

If you are unsure on how to use spoiler tags contact a staff member before posting the content.

You have to specify an unique ID code for every spoiler

(see the examples below of what happens if you do not).

The ID can be anything you want as long as no one else has already used it in that thread. It is alphanumeric, so text or numbers, just make it a random code or it will open another spoiler in the thread and yours will not work.

Note: It doesn't mean that an ID can just be used once in the whole forums. You can use the same ID in different threads.

Methods and Examples

Spoiler code:

[noparse]

[spoiler=ID]This is a spoiler

[/noparse]

Example of how it will appear:

[noparse][spoiler=test]This is a spoiler

[/noparse][spoiler=test]This is a spoiler

An example of having multiple spoilers with same ID/code:

This is what happens if several spoilers have the same ID (in this case the spoiler code is 123). As you can see, you can only open the first spoiler that has that ID so it must be unique. Just make it totally random, spam the keyboard or a word followed by numbers etc.

Spoilers with the same ID

[noparse][spoiler=123]This is a spoiler

[spoiler=123]This is also a spoiler

[/noparse]

[spoiler=123]This is a spoiler

[spoiler=123]This is also spoiler

An example of a spoiler without an ID/code at all:

If you don't give the spoiler any ID, the spoiler block won't appear.

Spoiler without an unique ID

Spoiler without an unique ID

Always ask a staff member if you are unsure of the spoiler tag method before posting the questionable content.

If you are unsure whether the content you are posting is a spoiler use the tags anyway and you will have no problem.

Updated by funkyweed - 17/03/10.

This information is taken from Routine's sticky on x360a.

Edited by mjc0961
taking out my sig

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to note since this seems to be getting more common again... If someone posts something without a spoiler tag and none of the staff has noticed yet, it doesn't excuse anyone else in the thread from using them. This also goes for quoting someone. If something you quoted has a spoiler without a tag, please add one to the quote before making your post as well as making sure to hide any spoilers in the body of your own post.

Hopefully by posting in this thread people will notice it because it will show up on the main forum page. It seems that no one uses spoiler tags on this site aside from a few people. I dont know if it is because they dont care or because they dont know how to do it but maybe this will help a little. I have refered a few people to this thread via pm in recent weeks so maybe people will catch on

I've seen a few posts where people try to use them, but they screw up the ID part of the code.

[spoiler=code]You can type in anything as the ID, and it'll work as long as it's unique to that post and it's letters and/or numbers. This one that you see right now, the ID is "code."

Please use the spoiler tags more often.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I don't understand how to put spoiler tags in. :( Can someone please explain.

Hi Platinum

Spoiler Tags are pretty straightforward, just wrap the below Tags around the content you want hidden. The ID part (12345 in the example below) has to be unique to a single Spoiler within a thread. So if a thread contains more than one Spoiler, this bit must be different for each.

[noparse][spoiler=12345]Put your special secrets here

[/noparse]

Result

[spoiler=12345]Put your special secrets here

At present Spoliers have to be added manually but as this subject has been raised many times I imagine a Toolbar button is somewhere on the to do list. :)

Edited by YurtleTehTurtle

• 4 weeks later...

[spoiler=221]I just wanted to try out the spoiler tags. There's no need to click on the spoiler below.

[spoiler=331]Seriously, there's nothing to see here.

[spoiler=441]knock it off, already!

[spoiler=551]ok...How many mice does it take to screw in a light bulb?

[spoiler=661]two, but don't ask me how they got in there.

:D maybe there is, maybe there isn't.

• 1 month later...
Hi Platinum

Spoiler Tags are pretty straightforward, just wrap the below Tags around the content you want hidden. The ID part (12345 in the example below) has to be unique to a single Spoiler within a thread. So if a thread contains more than one Spoiler, this bit must be different for each.

[noparse][spoiler=12345]Put your special secrets here

[/noparse]

Result

[spoiler=12345]Put your special secrets here

At present Spoliers have to be added manually but as this subject has been raised many times I imagine a Toolbar button is somewhere on the to do list. :)

hows this coming along?

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler=99] wtf

and it wont let me put in brackets in edit i hate this spoiler crap this website is 90% for cheating if it has anything at all to do with the game its a damn spoiler knowing any of the trophy names is a spoiler getting some1 opinion or thoughts on game is spoiling it.

grr guess i cant post anymore questions on this website till i figure this out

figured it out finally and still dont like it anything about a game other than its title and release date id say is a spoiler wich makes almost everything in every game forum a spoiler.

but my laptop for some reason cant view spoilers so any info thats tagged spoiler yay i cant read.

Edited by Kennus

The spoiler tag above is functioning correctly.

Regardless of whether you feel spoiler tags are necessary or not they have to be used, especially if there is a specific announcement or a title is relatively new.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/announcements/21570-new-policies-gamesharing-spoilers.html

• 4 weeks later...
[spoiler=pickels]what have I done wrong? [/spoiler]

I'm not quite sure what you mean but you're using PHP Code. PHP or HTML codes are used so you can view what you're supposed to be doing in the guide.

For example, you have to use [spoilerFootball]This is a spoiler!

but you have to put an = sign between spoiler & the code you're using. If it is used correctly is should look like...

[spoiler=peht8]Do you understand?

• Slamma locked and unpinned this topic