XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
JimmieCSI

Question Definitions of PS3 terminology

Ok so I know I'm a complete noob, but I've been reading through several posts and due to not knowing the meaning of some words/abbreviations I have no idea what people are on about. Sure I could google it, but it's not just 1 or 2 words. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So maybe someone could make a sticky thread just for noobs stating the meanings of words/abbreviations used on the forum? Just a few examples for myself would be
Boosting
DLC
Stacking
I forget the rest at the moment ...
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Reys

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Silver   Maximum Clubs Top 5   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   MLB 13 - Home Run Derby King   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Staff - Moderator   2,500 Posts   A+ Thread Award   I Beat the Staff!!!!   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

Boosting- Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy

DLC- Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game.

Stacking- Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock.

YLOD- Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code.

I'll add more if I think of any.

Signature made by Haptism | Steam | PSNProfiles | Exophase | MyAnimeList
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Krid
yeah I plug my laptop into the camel's rectum and post away

Last edited by Reys; 06-23-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Yoshi_Girl

Awards Showcase Silver Road Map Submitter   Word of Mouth - Silver   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Silver Submission   Bright Idea!   5,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Member of the Month Winner   I Beat the Staff!!!!
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reys813fan View Post
Boosting- Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy

DLC- Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game.

Stacking- Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock.

YLOD- Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code.

I'll add more if I think of any.
This basically sums it up nicely. But I'll toss in a few examples as well.

An example of Boosting would be you and a friend/site member getting together to work on some Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops missions in order to make progress towards a trophy.

An example of DLC would be you and your friend/site member enjoying Modern Warfare 2 so much that you download the Stimulus Package content from the PSN Store. This is whats known as a DLC. An extension of the game that adds new content to be enjoyed.

An example of Stacking would be a gamer playing the North American/EU release of Demons Souls for the Platinum then importing the Chinese version of Demons Souls for another Platinum. Many players do it, particularly those who are either fluent or at least understand international languages.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Johnny Bananas

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Bananas

Awards Showcase MLB 14: Home Run Derby Champion   Word of Mouth - Platinum   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   THL Season 3 Champions - Sharks With Laser Beams   THL Season 3 - Ghost Busters   15,000 Posts   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Submission
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)

Just to add...

In case you need help with any PS3 related terminology, check out Baqsam's Trophy Dictionary.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/use...ictionary.html

July 13, 2004 ~ Donate Life ~ April 3, 2013
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Zenred

Send a message via AIM to Zenred Send a message via MSN to Zenred Send a message via Yahoo to Zenred Send a message via Skype™ to Zenred

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

ALTZ - Always Listen To Zenred

you'll never go wrong with that one.

Follow my live stream at www.twitch.tv/dernez and comment and/or yell at me for being generally awful at games.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
xPleon

Location: Earth, United Kingdom, England, West-Sussex, East Grinstead

Boosting - Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy, you can do this by looking a Trophy Boosting Treads under the required game you want/need to boost.

DLC - Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game basicly.

Stacking - Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock, in other words geting more than one trophy list for the same game.

YLOD - Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code witch means you have a problem with the console and it won't work.

Platinums - 6 | Gold - 43 | Silver - 114 | Bronze - 312
PSN Name - xPleon | Level 10 - 52% | Trophies - 475

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Labartu
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase Staff - Super Moderator   Lab's ''Did Someone Say Chimichanga?'' List   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   Helping Hand   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Community Gaming Event Silver   5,000 Posts   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowen View Post
Just to add...

In case you need help with any PS3 related terminology, check out Baqsam's Trophy Dictionary.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/use...ictionary.html
The three examples have been answered mutliple times (Good advice, everyone! ), and if you have further questions you should check out the link jmowen provided. If there are any PS3 terms not listed in there, feel free to post your question in that thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
altz, boosting, definition, meaning, stacking, terminology