Definitions of PS3 terminology

JimmieCSI

Ok so I know I'm a complete noob, but I've been reading through several posts and due to not knowing the meaning of some words/abbreviations I have no idea what people are on about. Sure I could google it, but it's not just 1 or 2 words. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So maybe someone could make a sticky thread just for noobs stating the meanings of words/abbreviations used on the forum? Just a few examples for myself would be

Boosting

DLC

Stacking

I forget the rest at the moment ...

:confused:

Boosting- Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy

DLC- Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game.

Stacking- Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock.

YLOD- Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code.

I'll add more if I think of any.

Edited by Reys

Boosting- Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy

DLC- Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game.

Stacking- Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock.

YLOD- Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code.

I'll add more if I think of any.

This basically sums it up nicely. But I'll toss in a few examples as well.

An example of Boosting would be you and a friend/site member getting together to work on some Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops missions in order to make progress towards a trophy.

An example of DLC would be you and your friend/site member enjoying Modern Warfare 2 so much that you download the Stimulus Package content from the PSN Store. This is whats known as a DLC. An extension of the game that adds new content to be enjoyed.

An example of Stacking would be a gamer playing the North American/EU release of Demons Souls for the Platinum then importing the Chinese version of Demons Souls for another Platinum. Many players do it, particularly those who are either fluent or at least understand international languages.

Boosting - Getting together with one or more person online to unlock trophies in a simplier way to unlock the trophy, you can do this by looking a Trophy Boosting Treads under the required game you want/need to boost.

DLC - Downloadable Content - Add-ons to a game basicly.

Stacking - Trophy enabled games with multiple lists. Ex; Bioshock USA/EU has a different list from the Japanese region Bioshock, in other words geting more than one trophy list for the same game.

YLOD - Yellow Light of Death - A PS3 error code witch means you have a problem with the console and it won't work.

Just to add...

In case you need help with any PS3 related terminology, check out Baqsam's Trophy Dictionary.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/user-generated-content/54796-official-trophy-dictionary.html

The three examples have been answered mutliple times (Good advice, everyone! :) ), and if you have further questions you should check out the link jmowen provided. If there are any PS3 terms not listed in there, feel free to post your question in that thread.

:locked: