Donations / Subscriptions FAQ

Vyrastas

Hey there... got some money burning a hole in your pocket? Want to give back to the site in a monetary fashion? Well now you can! This thread will answer all the questions you have about donating and subscribing to PST. If it doesn't, post below and we'll do our best to answer.

Please be aware that donations and subscriptions are processed by PayPal. There is no alternative. If you don't like PayPal or refuse to use it for whatever reason, sorry, there's nothing we can do for you.

To donate or subscribe, click on the Subscriptions option underneath the Browse option of every forum page - or in the hamburger menu at the top right of the forum in mobile.

Deskop

n41Ssac.png

Mobile

knBov7J.png

Donations

This is very simple. Donations are a one-time event; you go to the link and specify how much money you wish to donate. Note that $5 is the minimum donation you can make. We'll have a report that shows how much you donate, and based on your cumulative amount (if you donate more than once), you will receive one of these site awards:

Donator_Level1.png $5 - $149

Donator_Level2.png $150 - $249

Donator_Level3.png $250 - $349

Donator_Level4.png $350 - $499

Donator_Level5.png $500+

If you donate, please notify Mendel via Private Message as to when and how much you donated. Going forward they will need to be verified first before the award goes out and if you don't message him, you won't get the award. If you want us to track your cumulative amount, you'll need to tell Mendel each time you donate.

That's it. You'll never lose the award and everyone will see how generous you are.

Subscriptions

If you really want to be a stud, though... you have to subscribe. A subscription consists of a monthly fee and a number of benefits. The subscription levels (and associated awards) are:

Subscriber_Basic.png Basic = $5 / month

Subscriber_Bronze.png Bronze = $10 / month

Subscriber_Silver.png Silver = $15 / month

Subscriber_Gold.png Gold = $20 / month

Subscriber_Platinum.png Platinum = $25 / month

You will only have this award as long as you are a subscriber. Once you cancel, you will lose the award. Also, since you are essentially donating to the site, you will also get the appropriate Donator award based on the cumulative amount you give to the site during your time as a subscriber. That award is permanent.

Being a subscriber isn't just about the money, though... it's about the benefits. Below are the benefits of being a subscriber.

Please note that there is no difference in benefits between tiers, they exist solely to give you more options if you wish to donate more money each month. A $5 subscriber receives the same benefits as a $25 subscriber... the only difference is the site award and your generosity.

Subscriber Benefits

• Site awards (duh)
  • Green forum name (optional)
  • Custom User Title accessible in the User CP (25 character limit)
  • Larger avatar size (150 x 150)
  • Removal of all ads (except the Resero Twitch banner)
  • 500 Private Message limit instead of the regular 250
  • Forum name changes (once every 2 months)
  • Awards Showcase reordering (once every 6 months)
  • Access to "The Green Room" - a subscriber/staff only forum
  • Higher level of visibility with the staff, including a specific feedback area and insight on site issues / changes
  • Eligible to create your own Subscriber Club (after 3 consecutive months of subscribing)
  • Eligible to participate in Subscriber tournaments / competitions that each feature unique site awards
  • A one-time use voucher for a free trophy on any Staff Custom List (after 3 consecutive months of subscribing)

FAQ

Q: Can I donate with a credit/debit card?

A: Not directly, no. We accept payments through PayPal, so to use a credit or debit card simply add that to your PayPal profile as the primary fund source.

Q: Why Paypal and not direct credit/debit cards?

A: PayPal is the only way to subscribe or donate, for your protection and ours as well. PayPal also offers us additional tracking information so that many other payment methods don't. This may change in the future, but currently PayPal is it. You can find more information about how secure PayPal is here.

Q: What if I have a PayPal balance, how does that work?

A: It will just pull the monthly subscription fee from your balance instead. Once the balance is at $0, then it will charge your card again.

Q: Why is the minimum donation fixed at $5? What if I want to donate $1?

A: Because PayPal takes fees for each transaction, it made more business sense to limit donations to at least $5, to ensure the site actually gets a decent amount of the donation.

Q: Can anyone subscribe, or is this limited to people in the US?

A: Yes! Anyone can be a subscriber, it's not limited to the US only. You simply need a PayPal account.

Q: How long does the subscription last? Are you tied to a contract?

A: Once you subscribe you are a subscriber for a month. There are no contracts.

Q: Do subscriptions auto-renew?

A: Yes, it renews on a monthly basis.

Q: Would it be the first of every month? Or last? Or is there a specific date?

A: It will charge your PayPal account on the same day next month. If your first payment is on the 9th, it will renew on the 9th the next month.

Q: Can I cancel at any time?

A: Yes. You can cancel at any time; you will remain a Subscriber for the rest of that month even if you cancel early.

Q: How do I cancel my subscription?

A: On the overview of your PayPal page click on details of your subscription, and scroll to the bottom of the page. You will find the cancel option there. Alternately, look at the pre-approved payments list and cancel from there. No one on the site can cancel the subscription for you, you have to do it yourself via PayPal.

Q: I already have a Basic Subscription, but I want to upgrade to a higher tier. What do I do?

A: Purchase the new subscription like normal, then cancel the previous subscription manually through PayPal, as mentioned in the previous question. No one on the site can cancel the subscription for you, you have to do it yourself via PayPal.

Q: Who do I talk to about issues with subscribing or donations?

A: Mendel. Please send him a PM with the applicable details of your question or issue (including your PayPal-linked email address if it is a payment research request).

Q: I want to change my forum name, can I just donate to do this?

A: No, only subscribers get the perk of having their names changed. There will no longer be one-time name change events as in the past; you have to subscribe to get your name changed.

Q: I have a few infractions to my name, will these get wiped if I show my support to the site?

A: No, but they do eventually expire. They will forever be visible to the staff of the site.

Q: How long does it take for my name to turn Green and when will I have access to the subscriber forum? Also what about my site awards?

A: Once you subscribe, access to the Subscriber forum (The Green Room) is granted immediately. You will see it at the very top of the main forum page. There is a thread in the Green Room where you can request a green name, your awards, etc. Browse around and you'll figure it out.

Q: I'm interested in subscribing and was wondering if there is a minimum subscription time?

A: Once you subscribe you are a subscriber for the rest of that month, it automatically gets renewed monthly unless you cancel it through PayPal.

Q: If I cancel, will I lose my green name, custom title and my subscription award?

A: Yes. The only thing you'll keep is your donation site award.

Q: What is the point in donating? Where does the money go?

A: Donating is a great way to give a little back to the community! The money goes toward server, maintenance and upgrade costs.

Subscriber Testimonials

"Why Did You Subscribe?"

To make up for the fact that I always have Adblock enabled, and I like donating to forums that I use excessively. :p

And also feel like it was worth subscribing to the site since i use it almost daily. Can't be cheap to up-keep this, so its a nice way of giving something back, even if its not much per month.

My favourite colour is green, and also giving back to a site I use frequently.

Have to give something back in return for all the hard graft put in behind the scenes here year after year, money is the predominant means of showing great appreciation.

I wanted a site award.

...the benefits for subscribing are very very good in comparison to what other similar sites offer. I like the avatar upgrade and the ad removal will help a lot for when I browse from my phone. That fucking Zaxby's ad. It's gone now, but it still haunts my dreams.

I have been using the site for a year now. I use it almost everyday and use the guides all the time so I definitely wanted to give something back, even if it was only a little. So a big thanks to ps3t for everything! :)

I've used Adblock for years, while using this site on pretty much a daily basis. So it's nice to be able to give something back.

Since I've been using this site for almost 5 years now (wuuuut), wanted to donate some money. Why not subscribe instead of donating a fixed sum?

...when I saw award showcase reordering, that pretty much sealed the deal :p

Mo' Momo. Of course.

BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT

Just to give back to the site that has done so much for my gaming :D

This is an excellent website. I read around here for hours. Delighted to be able to throw a bit of money your way.

Because I can now support a website that I've been supporting for the past 3 years now. ;)

I've subscribed because I really want to give something back to this site that has given me a lot and made gaming much more than a solo pursuit. I've made online friends who I speak to most days and support when I've needed it. All in all this is a nice place to be.

I love this site! So damn :cool: to be a part of.

I really wanted a bigger avatar. ;)

This place certainly changed the way how gaming goes for me. I was sort of a lonely gamer until I decided to sign up and become a member. Getting to meet new faces, learning many things as I join in discussions with others, and so on. To sum things up, I've received too many things from this site, and now it's my turn to do the same. :)

Giving back to the site which changed how I enjoy games is the least I can do really...happy to help :D

Most of all the site gives so much to me as a gamer and I attempt to give back through guides and helping other members....but I also know that web hosting is not inexpensive. So this is my way to help cover my part.
Edited by Vyrastas

Might be an odd question, if you subscribe do you have to have a green username or can you disable it?

I would imagine that it's a requirement to have, as (if I'm correctly assuming how VB works) it will be set by the usergroup that you'd be put in that gives access to the extra forum area. Unless there's an option to change the color for individuals you're probs stuck with it.

Edit: Actually, from re-reading the info, it appears you have to request to have your name changed to green, so if I understand correctly unless as I said before it's part of a usergroup setting or something to allow you to do your custom title or any of those other benefits, just don't ask to have it changed.

Q: How long does it take for my name to turn Green and when will I have access to the subscriber forum? Also what about my site awards?

A: Once you subscribe, access to the Subscriber forum (The Green Room) is granted immediately. You will see it at the very top of the main forum page. There is a thread in the Green Room where you can request a green name, your awards, etc. Browse around and you'll figure it out.

Edited by Gage

It's green on XBA because of Xbox... but here it's because of money.

Not everyone is American, green notes are a rare sight here in Australia :p (No idea if green is typical in other countries, I just know that Australia/Canada/few other places have colourful notes, and that America is all about the green).

Well, right now the larger avatar works. :cool: Sorry, I couldn't wait. :p

Not everyone is American, green notes are a rare sight here in Australia :p (No idea if green is typical in other countries, I just know that Australia/Canada/few other places have colourful notes, and that America is all about the green).

Yeah we only have one green bank note at this point, and it's not even the coolest looking one. :p

Our $20 is green in NZ, and that's by far the most common note I see. But other than that our notes are a variety of colours (orange, blue, green, pink and red)

I have a question, but it may be more of a general Paypal question (so perhaps anyone could answer it). Can you have a Paypal balance?

For example, rather than $x coming out every month, could I just put $50 in and then it would keep going to the end of the money and not add new money automatically. (If it makes sense?)

But I really like the idea Vy!! Thank you to the team for finally deciding to accept our money! :dance:

I have a question, but it may be more of a general Paypal question (so perhaps anyone could answer it). Can you have a Paypal balance?

For example, rather than $x coming out every month, could I just put $50 in and then it would keep going to the end of the money and not add new money automatically. (If it makes sense?)

Yes you can, and unless you have it set up to automatically withdraw from a bank account (what I do) or charge a credit card that's how you have to add money to paypal. :p

Not sure how that would affect autorenewal stuff though. As long as you always had more than the required renewal amount in there on the day it charges you then you should be fine to do that.