Story/Plot Discussion Thread **MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE**

jcstahl

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Fallout: New Vegas. This thread has been created to discuss anything Fallout: New Vegas related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread.

This thread is immune.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Fallout 3's story much more. Mr. House and his securiton army was a pretty good idea, I liked it. NCR weren't interesting at all, Ceaser's Legion would be good if not for their silly outfits, Great Khans were Raiders clones, Brotherhood of Steel was very weak there (living in a bunker like cowards was so not like them).

The factions were boring mostly, I liked some characters though, like the NCR Veteran Rangers (probably because of their super cool coats lol), Yes Man, etc.

I think the game was missing a decent target the Courier would want to achieve. The Wanderer in Fallout 3 had to help his father with the water purification, it had some really nice moments and a really nice ending. And a really nice enemy - The Enclave Army.

The YES MAN ending was the best because its more open then anyother (is that a spoiler?) other then that what an amazing game.

I plat'd both this and fallout 3 and i must say i like them equally. There both very deep and very smart in its approach to the player and the choices you make, not many games has that and if they do its mearly your choice is Good or Bad which (lets face it) is shit!

Fallout 3 & New vegas draws me in because you make choices that usually isnt good for anyone, not even for your self in most cases. The side quest "The Legend of the Star" for me is one of the best outcomes to any sidequest in Fallout that ive played so far.. it really surprised me on so many levels, I urge very one to make it to the end of that side quest....

Epic stuff!

Story Line? Plot? I must have played a different Fallout NV as my game featured very little of either. Certainly nothing like Fallout 3, anyway. I never actually felt "invested" in this world. I never felt like my decisions actually mattered beyond pissing off a "Faction" which in turn did nothing more than give me a chance to shoot at more human targets without fear of dinging my Karma as I pissed them off and rummaged through their areas.

Well - just got the Platinum (20th one!) - took me about 160 hours total with all the back-tracking and playing from old saves.

What struck me the most about the story was near the end when what should have been a build-up to a climax, to something exciting... just wasn't. Instead we're faced with a bunch of mostly-inane fetch-quests. This could be unfair since, in my case, most of the work was done earlier (Boomers, Great Khans, Brotherhood, etc) but still.

Go see somebody. Walk and load for minutes to see somebody else. Crash and reload at least once. Say "hey!". Walk and load back to the original person. Freeze and reload. Quest done.

Forgiving (for just a moment) the technical issues... there's just really not muchmeat here. The endings - all of them - force you into doing things you don't want to do. This can be good IF you're legimately convinced that this is needed (remember having to cut your own finger off in "Heavy Rain"?) In this case tho' the reasoning isn't compelling and frustrating.

It seems clear to me that the most logical solution would be an independent New Vegas under Mr House with the NCR controlling (and defending) the Dam. Mr House gets customers and a position of strength while the NCR gets a foothold in the Mojave and a powerful ally who can retain order while they mass for a push further into Legion areas.

Everything in the "good path" game seems to lead to this "treaty" solution. The game made it so clear to me as I was playing that this was my goal: broker long-standing peace between the NCR and Mr House. But in your options seem to be only "kill Mr House" or "Run the NCR off" (very likely kill them all).

The "destroy the damn" option was potentially the closest to this... but that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater at best. You've only one option in all of the endings NOT to commit cold-blooded murder against the Brotherhood.

The game is clearly trying to create ethical dilemas and force decisions on a "lesser of two evils" basis - but it's so ham-fisted about it that al you end up with is frustration at your lack of clearly better, more logical choices.

There's nothing "grand" about this. Nothing that puts you in serious emotional connection with anything. What's so bad is that it would have been SO EASY to do this.

The closest thing you have to "family" in this are the people of GoodSprings - the people that helped you when you were at your weakest. I was so expecting a choice of mine to result in a Nipton-like slaughter of GoodSprings. A decision that would force me to choose to between them and a greater decision (Caesar blackmailing me with them for example). But no - they're just ignored for pretty much the entire game.

The end battle (still struggling to leave the constant freezing out of the discussion) lacked all sense of scale and epicness. It was devoid of any real emotional depth. The only relatvely well-done driver was the hatred of the legion. It was easy to build up a "anything's better than the legion" mentality but difficult to carry through since all the other options generally ended up so dickish in the end.

It reminded me a lot of "Star Wars" in a weird way. In "Episode Four" we had clear, straight-forward adventure and scale. The Death Star destroys planets. We have to blow it up. Yeah! In "Episode One" we get intergalactic diplomancy, detailed trade disputes and space-CSPAN.

Just like this this game took what was grand and epic and meaningful in the first game and turned it into a detailed look at politics, faction loyalty over ethics and dullness.

(All that said I still liked the game - I played it for 160 hours after all. But the constant missed opputunities and forced - but illogical - ethical choices really ground me down.)

Nothing much to discuss, storywise, so it's no surprise this thread is relatively empty. :)

Fallout 3 had a highly personal story that was, at its core, very linear. Fallout: New Vegas trades in the emotional connections for a political story of warring factions, none of which are really "morally good" and gives you a path that branches off into mutually exclusive quests.

I liked both and I appreciate the New Vegas developers didn't try to simply copy the story mechanics of Fallout 3. But I have to agree with the people above who pointed out that all the major "fetch quests" are not all that interesting and that the climactic battle at the Dam wasn't all that... climactic (the Boomers dropping their bombs was the only cool moment there)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the majority here, Storyline was piss poor and there wasnt anything significalt enough to give the impression that anything I done matter for anything other than maybe huffing a faction and becoming pally with another.

I wasnt overly assed about either ending. One thing I did enjoy however was meeting the real Mr House in the antechamber, then blowing him up by cleaning his tank out :)

Would have preferred the old style skill books aswell, I liked maxing out all my skills in F3 and wasnt happy I had to sacrifice one skill over others, like Science over Lockpick, forsaking the Very Hard locks often with the best loot :mad:

i almost have this plat and i did mr house ending and yes men. mr house was a good ending. yes man was exactly the same as mr house and that dissapoints me. now i doing the 2 endings from factions i most hate. ncr and legion. i thought ncr where good guys but no i have to kill or eliminate everyone. i can understand pacer has to die but why brotherhood or great kahns??? their probably the best factions there are. i really like them. as for ceasar i dont know yet how it will be but i choosed them as last because their doing things thats against my morale. making women a slafe. crucify people. kill a whole town and burn it down.

i thought ncr where good guys but no i have to kill or eliminate everyone. but why brotherhood or great kahns??? their probably the best factions there are.

You don't have to kill either factions. You can just convince Khans to leave New Vegas and get BoS allied with you. I did it that way, though I didn't give a shit about Khans.

You don't have to kill either factions. You can just convince Khans to leave New Vegas and get BoS allied with you. I did it that way, though I didn't give a shit about Khans.

oh the quest marker pointed to the terminal. its really confusing this marker. you see the beginning and the end thing. fallout 3 was much easier to understand when doing quests. i really didnt see a quest marker that pointed to an other direction then the terminal :think:

oh the quest marker pointed to the terminal. its really confusing this marker. you see the beginning and the end thing. fallout 3 was much easier to understand when doing quests. i really didnt see a quest marker that pointed to an other direction then the terminal :think:

Well, you had to complete the Still in Dark-quest to get 'em allied. That's why you didn't see any other markers.

Well, you had to complete the Still in Dark-quest to get 'em allied. That's why you didn't see any other markers.

uh i did everything as roadmap telled. i becomed member of brotherhood. did oh my papa how little we know and volare before ring a ding. still the marker wasnt there. i even did al other trophies before ring a ding (except the main quests one). i did even make me idolized in each faction except ncr and cesar faction. (and that wasnt required)

but i did all the optional quests and let take that guy over the brotherhood. i had to kill al from crafts to join the brotherhood

Edited by Hogger

• 7 months later...

Well, if you follow the roadmap, you're only going to get the trophies. You're not going to get the full story. The purpose of this site is to get the trophies. If you want the full flavor of the stories, then you need to get a guide which shows all of the quests and what all of your options truly are.

I have to disagree with all of the above players. Granted, I have not played Fallout 3 yet. I own it, but have not played it. But I enjoyed each storyline in this game. I also played everything from the beginning each time I played. When I did the House storyline, I allied with Goodsprings. When I did the Legion storyline, I allied with the Powder Gangers, and got a whole different set of quests including the set of Powder Gangers in the Vault. I did different things with the Great Kahns each time, and even did different things with the Brotherhood of Steel, the White Glove Society and others.

For example, on one playthrough with the BoS, I helped Elder McNamera. On the next, I destroyed the BoS. On the third, I helped Head Paladin Hardin. Throw in Veronica's storyline as well also adds additional kinks and fun. If you just ran through the game and only played one side of each quest line, then you obviously didn't get the whole flavor of the story.

I really enjoyed picking sides and playing one side off the other in each of the side quests. That is why I played the game from beginning to end four separate times and enjoyed each one, as each was totally different. When I got to the ending, I felt each was different enough to be enjoyable.

The guys here have interesting opinions. I did the worst ending first (Legion) and have yet to got the other 3. From all major factions, I think the best would be NCR. Of course, they have flaws, but every democracy have their downside in the real world.

The NCR represents the old government. The Caesar's legion represents nazism. The Yes Man represents anarchism. And Mr. House... Hell, I don't know.

• 2 months later...
The guys here have interesting opinions. I did the worst ending first (Legion) and have yet to got the other 3. From all major factions, I think the best would be NCR. Of course, they have flaws, but every democracy have their downside in the real world.

The NCR represents the old government. The Caesar's legion represents nazism. The Yes Man represents anarchism. And Mr. House... Hell, I don't know.

I would say Ceasar's legion more so represents the ancient Roman Ceasar. After all, that's where the name is from and what they're trying to emulate.

I honestly liked the story of New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3. I liked the big battle ending and I liked how you can choose sides. I also liked how you can kind of choose which factions you want to align yourself with and which you want to destroy. In F3, you have to be with the BOS pretty much and you're against the Enclave. And I guess I've gotten sick of being attacked relentlessly by everything whenver I try and travel in Fallout 3, I mean shit, raiders everywhere, radscorpions everywhere, vicious dogs everywhere, molerats everywhere, its just a pain in the ass. I'm always low on amunition because of it and run through hundereds and hundereds of stimpacks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
I honestly liked the story of New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3. I liked the big battle ending and I liked how you can choose sides. I also liked how you can kind of choose which factions you want to align yourself with and which you want to destroy. In F3, you have to be with the BOS pretty much and you're against the Enclave.

I absolutely agree. I love all the Fallout games, but none hooked me as New Vegas did. It's not only my favorite Fallout game, it's my favorite game. Period.

I didn't mind that much about the crashes (although they are, indeed, annoying). I completed the game 4 times. I particularly enjoy playing it on hardcore mode and not rushing the story, simply exploring and doing side-quests.

The main story really interested me from the start. Benny is a great character, and I did feel a sense of urgency and excitement in tracking him and learning his agenda. I also loved that the story ends up focusing on the war and that each faction is so distinctive and interesting. The versatility is amazing (much greater than F3's and without sacrificing a good story, in my opinion), the way you can tie together the story precisely how you want, with so many variables, and that they are all reflected in the ending.

I liked Fallout 3's story, but I liked New Vegas' much, much more. (And I think both were far better than Fallout 4's).

• 3 years later...
On 6/22/2017 at 5:46 PM, Yordavin said:

I absolutely agree. I love all the Fallout games, but none hooked me as New Vegas did. It's not only my favorite Fallout game, it's my favorite game. Period.

I didn't mind that much about the crashes (although they are, indeed, annoying). I completed the game 4 times. I particularly enjoy playing it on hardcore mode and not rushing the story, simply exploring and doing side-quests.

The main story really interested me from the start. Benny is a great character, and I did feel a sense of urgency and excitement in tracking him and learning his agenda. I also loved that the story ends up focusing on the war and that each faction is so distinctive and interesting. The versatility is amazing (much greater than F3's and without sacrificing a good story, in my opinion), the way you can tie together the story precisely how you want, with so many variables, and that they are all reflected in the ending.

I liked Fallout 3's story, but I liked New Vegas' much, much more. (And I think both were far better than Fallout 4's).

It's been a number of year's since my post (and your reply) and I think I agree.  There are just not many games I've played over the years that match up to Fallout New Vegas.  Recently I picked up the game again for xbox and I'm replaying through it, seems to be much better on xbone compared to the old ps3 with only one crash so far.  It's amazing how many hidden secrets and different ways there are to complete quests.  There seems to be so much more depth to it compared to fallout 4.