What are the do's & don'ts for this game?

BrakoV5

The Snowdomes can be collected at anytime, providing you have a save from prior to the start of the final fight else you will have to start a new game.

The same advice for Fallout 3 applies to New Vegas i.e:

1: Use the Cache Clear code often.

2: Don't play for more than a couple of hours at a time.

3: Save, save, save and save again so in the almost inevitable event that something glitches, you can reload and attempt to fix the problem.

4: Follow the stickied Guides to the letter.

5: Don't pickup anything you don't intend to use or is of little monetary value (if it's less than 10 caps then don't bother) as you want to avoid your save files bloating out of control and causing crippling lag that reduces your game to a single digit frame rate.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

There is no free roam at all in this game so you have to manage your saves correctly else you will have to start a new game. Also, most of the DLCs have a set level at which it's recommended you start them so as to prevent frustration and un-necessary deaths:

Dead Money: Lv20

Honest Hearts: There doesn't seem to be a set minimum Level for this but apparently it does say in-game somewhere that you need to be at Lv8 or higher.

Old World Blues: Lv15

Lonesome Road: Lv25

Gun Runners' Arsenal: There's no set minimum level for this but I strongly recommend starting it ASAP because some of the challenges are impossible to do after certain points in the game.

Courier's Stash: This is just an Item pack and has no Level Requirements.

Edited by Terminator
Rephrased.

There is no free roam at all in this game so you have to manage your saves correctly else you will have to start a new game. Also, most of the DLCs have a set level at which it's recommended you start them so as to prevent frustration and un-necessary deaths:

Dead Money: Lv20

Honest Hearts: There doesn't seem to be a set minimum Level for this but apparently it does say in-game somewhere that you need to be at Lv8 or higher.

Old World Blues: Lv15

Lonesome Road: Lv25

Gun Runners' Arsenal: There's no set minimum level for this but I strongly recommend starting it ASAP because some of the challenges are impossible to do after certain points in the game.

Courier's Stash: This is just an Item pack and has no Level Requirements.

Cheers,

I'm on the hardcore mode where you need to ration stuff. It just said it took a sip from my trusty vault canteen. Was this a DLC item or does it act as a one off type of help thing?

What is GRN and even though I'm at Goodsprings can I just collect the CS asap? Also what did you mean by do the GRN asap as some of its impossible later on?

Is it normal for my save file to be so huge already? Already a 2759kb but I assume thats all the DLC info on there too.

Objectively speaking, Terminator's information on recommended levels is something you really want to take into account. Subjectively speaking, I played the DLCs in the order they were published, and it seemed to me like that was the way they were meant to be played. If I recall correctly, the presentation of some common characters and events across the different DLCs makes the most sense when played in that order. As I said though, this might be purely subjective, and not a major issue whatsoever.

Cheers,

I'm on the hardcore mode where you need to ration stuff. It just said it took a sip from my trusty vault canteen. Was this a DLC item or does it act as a one off type of help thing?

What is GRN and even though I'm at Goodsprings can I just collect the CS asap? Also what did you mean by do the GRN asap as some of its impossible later on?

Is it normal for my save file to be so huge already? Already a 2759kb but I assume thats all the DLC info on there too.

The Vault 13 Canteen is a DLC item that's part of the Courier's Stash but was originally given away as a pre-order bonus when you pre-ordered it from certain stores, it's essential for Hardcore mode and I don't know how I got through it without it.

Some of the challenges in the Gun Runner's Arsenal require you do specific things that are only possible during specific periods in the game, miss that moment and you're forever locked out of those challenges e.g. kill Benny with his own gun, you only get 1 chance at this challenge to get it right but mess it up and you'll have to start a new game or load an older save to get another chance at it. The Stickied Guide can explain this DLC better than I can :).

The saves in all of Bethesda's games start at nearly 3mb and only get bigger :(.

Objectively speaking, Terminator's information on recommended levels is something you really want to take into account. Subjectively speaking, I played the DLCs in the order they were published, and it seemed to me like that was the way they were meant to be played. If I recall correctly, the presentation of some common characters and events across the different DLCs makes the most sense when played in that order. As I said though, this might be purely subjective, and not a major issue whatsoever.

I played all the DLCs in release order as well and difficulty wise I didn't notice much difference, though that's probably because I was something of a tank anyway by that time. Story wise there is actually a specific order to play them in but I can't remember what it is off-hand :think:. EDIT: Here it is :): LINK

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info.

Appreciate all the tips Terminator. This is in the backlog.

I just hope its a good experience mate. Such a shame Bethesda had problems with the PS3.

And now for more questions.

How do I know if the Bethesda cache clean has worked on NV. Does it do something similar to the Fallout 3 start option disappearing?

I just got to level 3. I take it leveling up on this game doesn't give you a perk each time?

Gonna eat chicken and watch a movie now. Play more of the game tomorrow.

I'll try that order you posted next time I play the game, Terminator. Thanks! :)

I just hope its a good experience mate. Such a shame Bethesda had problems with the PS3.

And now for more questions.

How do I know if the Bethesda cache clean has worked on NV. Does it do something similar to the Fallout 3 start option disappearing?

I just got to level 3. I take it leveling up on this game doesn't give you a perk each time?

Gonna eat chicken and watch a movie now. Play more of the game tomorrow.

1. Yes, the same happens in New Vegas with the cache clean code.

2. That's right. You earn a perk every two levels.

3. It's easy to forget about your vital necessities when playing Fallout. Stay sharp. :D

Had the crap scared out of me before.

You know that side quest where you kill the ants for the NCR? Well there I was with my trusty 9 milly, shooting bugs and shizz, when all of a sudden I turned around and there was an ant right next to me really close to the cam to give extra detail.

Nearly got b*****d whiplash I got shocked that much :D

I can see what Termy was getting at about the frame rates. On many occasion the game judders, but as far as crashes go its only hard froze once... so far. That actually kicked in a lot sooner than on FO3, but I imagine the vast amount of detail in this game will do that... on the PS3 anyway.

For the trophy to have all friends. I take it they all have to be living all at once? On hardcore the extra help does benefit, but seeing as they can die for good then I'll be careful. How do you get Boone's side mission to progress, just keep killing Legion?

Whats the level cap in this game?

Edited by BrakoV5

1. I've played New Vegas for more than 300 hours on my 360, back on the day, and I don't remember the performance to be nearly as bad as it is on PS3. It's a shame it had to happen to one of my most beloved titles of this generation. :(

2. I think you only need to have recruited them all at least once in the same savefile. I don't think it matters what happens to them afterwards.

3. There's an entire system of 'hidden points' behind Boone's sidequests, which are awarded for a variety of reasons. The Vault (Fallout's wikia) has this information in far better detail. And any information you might need when playing Fallout, for that matter.

4. The basic level cap is 30, and it's raised by 5 levels for every DLC you have installed. Considering you have them all, your level cap is the maximum one: level 50.

Edited by One Winged Joker

1. I've played New Vegas for more than 300 hours on my 360, back on the day, and I don't remember the performance to be nearly as bad as it is on PS3. It's a shame it had to happen to one of my most beloved titles of this generation. :(

2. I think you only need to have recruited them all at least once in the same savefile. I don't think it matters what happens to them afterwards.

3. There's an entire system of 'hidden points' behind Boone's sidequests, which are awarded for a variety of reasons. The Vault (Fallout's wikia) has this information in far better detail. And any information you might need when playing Fallout, for that matter.

4. The basic level cap is 30, and it's raised by 5 levels for every DLC you have installed. Considering you have them all, the level cap is the maximum one: level 50.

This^

I haven't played the 360 version but I've seen the PC one in action and it doesn't run anywhere close to as badly as the PS3 one does :(. As for the Recruitment trophy, I hired then fired everyone and the trophy popped shortly after firing ED-E. Providing no-one dies before you get to hire them, it doesn't matter what happens to them afterwards :).

Some of the companion quests just seem to trigger through luck or too much strategic gaming involved.

The second adds to a sort of realism I suppose, but its a frikkin game! But looking at all the quests in this game, it overshadows anything Bethesda has done before. Even Skyrim doesn't come close.

Just about to help Rosie out using the peaceful solution. Tempted to kill the Van Graffs though, just to loot that gorgeous, gorgeous supply of weapons:p

Some of the GRA demands are a bit pants too. Don't know why I can't kill the Cazadors with normal dynamite rather than long fuse dynamite.

Hey if this game levels out at 50. I take it you still get less perks than in FO3, but you can build your stats much higher?

I can't really remember how the Perk system works in New Vegas but I don't remember being able to increase my stats by very much :think:.

Well if you only get a perk every two levels, that means for the standard game you can only get 15 perks as opposed to 30 in FO3. But now that NV is level capped at 50, that would mean you get 25 perks which is still less that FO3, but you have 15 points to use for a further 20 levels, which in a way is better than loads of perks but no stat points.

Just wasted about 2 hours on nothing :(

Messed up by killing the Van Graffs earlier on. Now I have to kill McLaferty or whatever she's called and cannot do it without the entire Crimson Camp hating me. Wish stealth worked properly in this game.

EDIT:

Nah its cool. I'm a genius :D

Turns out a silenced pistol in a room full of people is less likely to get you detected than in a empty room with just you, your target and a hefty machete. Hmm. Plus you have to kill her with Rosie there it seems.

Time for some radiation free food and some kip :D

Edited by BrakoV5
Please use the edit/multi-quote button instead of multi-posting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DO:

- Read the Fallout wiki before every mission. Unfortunately Bethesda games tend to come littered with bugs, so the wiki will alert you to that.

- Save often. And alternate saves. You never know when you'll unexpectedly lock yourself out of a mission or kill someone important.

- Restart the game if the framerate drops. My PS3 version can get to around 1fps. I am not exaggerating.

- Remember where you stored all your items four years ago, only to pick up the game again in an attempt at finally getting the plat, only to have zero idea of what chest in what location you stored 65+ hours of crap back in 2011.

• 2 months later...

Being a Hardcore Virgin this is my first time..........Wow i seriously should of worded that better please ignore that part and pretend i didnt say it :)

but doing a hardcore game right now that i am enjoying, just finished the tutorial for sandy and going to go get the xander root and brock stuff to cook with, looked at the guide and doing the "hardcore plus very easy mode* and so far the only mess up i am having is remembering to check H20 to see where it is at but other then that just going slow with it, i have the vanilla edition so gonna have to get the DLC eventually, should i wait til i am at the very end of the game and then go get it or what?

Thanks it will be a while before i finish it, it doesnt help i share the ps3 with my brother and then his gf and my mom will live on netflix so yea, its gonna be a bit before i am done so i have time definitly.

question? will that Nash guy in Prim always have purified water everytime? so can i go there and stock pile up when i have the caps so i dont get dehydrated and also how well does the cactus water work that takes a few pop bottles and cactus thorns or needles or whatever the cactus stuff is

Edited by Mr Joker Mrs Quinn