Did you enjoy Hardcore mode?

peter17319

For those of you that played the game on Hardcore -- did you find it enjoyable, or was it just a P.I.T.A.?

I'm considering doing only one playthrough, which would mean I'd be on Hardcore for everything, including all the side missions. Is it worth the hassle? Or is it more fun to do a full "regular" playthrough, then do Hardcore by just whipping through the main story as fast as I can?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was alright, not a pain in the ass. The only annoying thing was sleeping, because I never bothered with buying houses and I always forgot to sleep.

The MOST annoying thing was having head concussion and no damn doctors bags. So you had to walk around while having that daze effect going on :mad:

Personally, I had a separate hardcore playthrough and just blazed through it as fast as possible, I didn't think playing through the game and completing it to basically 100% while keeping track of so many variables would be enjoyable. A separate playthrough for just hardcore only takes an additional 4-5 hours and you can properly enjoy the game on regular, but it's your decision.

Edited by hutch_2100

No, I thought it was really annoying. As soon as I finished the first of four endings and got the achievement, I turned it off. You just can't run around the wasteland without getting thirsty or hungry and I don't really care how unrealistic it sounds, but it's more fun.

No, I thought it was really annoying. As soon as I finished the first of four endings and got the achievement, I turned it off. You just can't run around the wasteland without getting thirsty or hungry and I don't really care how unrealistic it sounds, but it's more fun.

This is my sentiment as well, I hated Hardcore mode as it took all the fun out of the game.

Don't think it was tough or anything. You just have to be mindful about finding random beds and holding on to food items.

Once you bump up your ability to carry a large amount, you can make sure you always have food (Never seem to remember to pick it up, relying mostly on Stimpaks). That said, I used The Sink from OWB as my base, so I could teleport directly from wherever and sort things out pretty quickly.

I thought it wouldn't really bother me but then stupid little things like sleeping and injuries really got on my nerves.

So I ended up finishing the game as quickly as possible, then I went for the others with it off.

While it does make the game more realistic i suppose, it just becomes a pain! The trophy itself isn't too difficult

I found it hardly affected my game at all, occasionally you have to find an old matress and lay down for a bit but that really is it! Just pick up plenty of supplies when you are exploring and playing the game and it really isn't bad at all

Have to agree. Completed the whole game, including multiple endings and DLC on hardcore. Just had to remember to top up on H20, food and sleep every now and again.

I found it hardly affected my game at all, occasionally you have to find an old matress and lay down for a bit but that really is it! Just pick up plenty of supplies when you are exploring and playing the game and it really isn't bad at all

Have to agree. Completed the whole game, including multiple endings and DLC (200+ hours) on hardcore. Just had to remember to top up on H20, food and sleep every now and again.

Most responses seem to confirm what I suspected -- it's not difficult, but it kinda gets in the way.

I'll think I'll do my regular (probably 100+ hours) playthrough on normal mode. Since a speedrun can be done in only a couple hours, I'll do my Hardcore that way, in a 2nd playthrough.

When you think how much time would be wasted doing Hardcore for over 100 hours, I'm not losing much by doing a 2nd playthrough as a speedrun. :)

Things that annoyed me about Hardcore Mode;

1. Having a crippled head, and getting that shitty blurred effect all over your screen.

2. Having crippled arms, and seeing your gun reticule swaying all over the place whilst you try and shoot someone about 20 metres away.

3. Most of the ailments aren't too bad, but Water was shit to keep tabs on. If you find a source of water, it'll most likely give you Radiation poisoning to some extent, so you don't even feel like you're solving a problem, since it effectively contributes to developing a new one. Purified water is too hard to come across too.

It wasn't really a challenge, nor did I enjoy it, just a nuisance.

• 1 month later...

Hardcore is annoying. Too much micromanaging. Sure, it's more realistic to worry about food and water and sleep, but it makes the game a little less fun.

Oh great I have advanced dehydration. Let me fast travel to the Goodsprings source. Oh, great, now I am hungry. Let me go scavenge some food. Fast travel to the sharecroppers. OH great, now I'm tired. Fast travel to a hotel.

Its a never ending cycle that just takes away from the gameplay.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...